PDA

View Full Version : I thought the points in the rankings reset at the beginning of the new year?

Brett
01-15-2011, 09:31 AM
When do they reset back to 0? Do they even?

CityTennis22
01-15-2011, 09:38 AM
They don't reset. You're points are based on your result from the year before. That's why the commentators always talk about players having to defend points. If they don't win a tournament that they did last year, they lose points. If they get farther than they did the year before then they gain points. I think the ranking is based on the best 10 finishes of the year before.

bluescreen
01-15-2011, 09:42 AM
When do they reset back to 0? Do they even?

I believe the OP is referring to year end points. For example, Nadal was "year end #1" last year because he gained the most points in the year. These points also decide the top 8 competitors in the World Tour Finals. These points do reset every year. However, they have no bearing on a player's actual ranking. A player's ranking is dictated in the way CityTennis22 described.

Brett
01-15-2011, 09:44 AM
Oh I see, but the actual points in the overall rankings never reset?

CityTennis22
01-15-2011, 09:50 AM
Not that I've ever heard of. That's why you see upstarts who have been gone on doping bans for 2 years shoot up through the rankings. Hingis, Henin, Clijsters, and Guillermo Canas all shot up to top 50 because they didn't have points to defend from the year before. The first three retired. Canas was really the only one I could think of with a doping ban. Every tournament was there best finish as they completed them. Just wait and you'll see that Del Potro is going to shoot back up from #259 where he is now, because he didn't play until October of last year.

batz
01-15-2011, 09:55 AM

No - they are done on a 12 month rolling basis. They never reset to 0.

bluescreen
01-15-2011, 09:58 AM

Technically, they do reset, but not at the beginning of the calendar year. If that were the case, there would be no rankings at the beginning of the year.

The points "expire" a year after they are gained. So, for example, the 2000 points that rafa collected last year for winning Wimbledon will expire after the tournament is over this year (assuming the tournament is played on the same dates). It is up to Rafa to reach the same round (aka win the tournament) to maintain his 2000 points. That is why Federer was able to regain the #1 ranking in 2009 after Wimbledon. Rafa lost 2000 points, and Federer gained some points because he improved on his 2008 finalist spot by winning the tournament.

danielrios
01-15-2011, 10:13 AM
www.atpworldtour.com

Bryan Swartz
01-15-2011, 03:18 PM
Correct they don't reset to 0 all at once -- the points for each event reset when that week is played the next year.

It'd be a very bad thing if they did, if for example everybody went to 0 on New Year's day, who would make the AO field?