PDA

View Full Version : Finally Roger and Rafa do doubles, even if it was an exhibition!

Mansewerz
01-16-2011, 08:54 AM
Anyone else happy they finally got together onto one team?

I've been waiting forever for this. It was so unfair! :)

Dilettante
01-16-2011, 09:19 AM
I'd really like to watch them as a serious doubles in a slam. I don't know if they would win but for sure it would be quite a spectacle.

sonicare
01-16-2011, 09:23 AM
Do you think they could take on the bryans? or any other top doubles team?

stanton warrior
01-16-2011, 09:37 AM

Definately, but it wouldn't be nearly as easy as some might think.

billnepill
01-16-2011, 09:40 AM
Anyone else happy they finally got together onto one team?

I've been waiting forever for this. It was so unfair! :)

yes, it was indeed unfair :D

When I saw this, Nadal was on the left side and Federer on the right side, playing only with their forehands, it was unreal. The two legendary forehands on the one side of the court! :)

I'd say, Olympics 2012 - go Fedal team :twisted:

Dilettante
01-16-2011, 09:48 AM

They would have a chance, but a well stablished and coordinated doubles like the Bryans team is a hard rival no matter how good are the Fedal individually. I'd put my money on the Bryans, I think.

But even if the Fedal don't win the match, I'm sure it would be much more pleasant to watch them as a team than any other of the top doubles team. At least in my opinion. Even if it happens in isolated flashes, imagine the kind of spectacular plays these two guys could produce together. You can expect consistency and coordination from the Bryans, but with the Fedal you would have flashes of pure magic, even with a less efficient overall team game.

HunterST
01-16-2011, 09:51 AM
They would have a chance, but a well stablished and coordinated doubles like the Bryans team is a hard rival no matter how good are the Fedal individually. I'd put my money on the Bryans, I think.

But even if the Fedal don't win the match, I'm sure it would be much more pleasant to watch them as a team than any other of the top doubles team. At least in my opinion. Even if it happens in isolated flashes, imagine the kind of spectacular plays these two guys could produce together. You can expect consistency and coordination from the Bryans, but with the Fedal you would have flashes of pure magic, even with a less efficient overall team game.

The Bryans wouldn't get blown out, but a team of Federer and Wawrinka beat them in straights. I think Nadal and Federer could do the same.

Underhand
01-16-2011, 09:54 AM
I'm sure it would be much more pleasant to watch them as a team than any other of the top doubles team.

I'm not. .......

billnepill
01-16-2011, 09:55 AM

It will be spectacular, no doubt about that.

I think, it wouldn't be illogical for them to team up. Both are looking for ways to contribute to tennis and what would be a better contribution than popularizing the doubles tennis?

I have no doubts in my mind that these events will be as televised as the singles finals.

Dilettante
01-16-2011, 09:59 AM
I'm not. .......

I meant more pleasant than any of the other male double teams.

meltphace 6
01-16-2011, 10:01 AM
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmm...

http://www.greenace.ch/wp-content/uploads/2008/08/federer-wawrinka-gewinnt-gold.jpg

billnepill
I'm not. .......

oh com'on you will watch them ! You'd want to stay informed and ridicule them everytime they play .

Bryan Swartz
I have no doubts in my mind that these events will be as televised as the singles finals.

I do -- no way the ratings would be as good. Watching them play doubles is not nearly as big a draw as the rivalry with all the records they break individually. Plus of course singles is much more popular than doubles in the modern era.

BreakPoint
01-16-2011, 10:05 AM
I would definitely tune in to watch Federer and Nadal play doubles together. In fact, I would tune in more than to watch any other doubles team play. Both Federer and Nadal are such great shotmakers so it would be hella fun to watch them play doubles together.

volleynets
01-16-2011, 10:06 AM
yes, it was indeed unfair :D

When I saw this, Nadal was on the left side and Federer on the right side, playing only with their forehands, it was unreal. The two legendary forehands on the one side of the court! :)

LOL That is cheating for two men from different countries to partner up.

billnepill
01-16-2011, 10:07 AM
I do -- no way the ratings would be as good. Watching them play doubles is not nearly as big a draw as the rivalry with all the records they break individually. Plus of course singles is much more popular than doubles in the modern era.

ok, I agree. Not as televised as singles' finals, but with significantly higher rating than the usual for the doubles matches.

Plus of course singles is much more popular than doubles in the modern era.
No question about that.

ruerooo
01-16-2011, 10:08 AM
Bryan, I think the ratings would be better than you think.

Here's another doubles team whose progress through the tournament got much better ratings than normal:

http://cache2.asset-cache.net/xc/97909181.jpg?v=1&c=IWSAsset&k=2&d=77BFBA49EF878921A343B2C87A49D8F538939A6AD0B21960 E5917A8DD5CC3DF9EF946CE7381FBBDBE30A760B0D811297

AMOF, if I couldn't get FEDAL on one side, I'd certainly watch Roger/Wawa v. Rafa/Marc. :)

billnepill
01-16-2011, 10:10 AM

hahaha

kidding, of course.

forthegame
01-16-2011, 10:29 AM
^^^
billnepill, your avatar is ha ha ha ha ha ha ha!

I hope that doesn't change, LOL!

Bud
01-16-2011, 11:45 AM

Federer could change his citizenship to Spain :)

Blinkism
01-16-2011, 11:49 AM

I'm not sure you understand quite how the Olympics work.. or it might be that I don't understand how sarcasm works... either way, someone's trolling.

joeri888
01-16-2011, 11:49 AM
Federer and Nadal could be pretty deadly. Especially since they are a one and a 2hander as well. Maybe something to make a little extra money after their careers??

billnepill
01-16-2011, 11:52 AM
I'm not sure you understand quite how the Olympics work.. or it might be that I don't understand how sarcasm works... either way, someone's trolling.

here (http://people.howstuffworks.com/sarcasm.htm)

bolo
01-16-2011, 12:07 PM
If they show williams sisters doubles I think they will show federer/nadal doubles.

Hood_Man
01-16-2011, 12:24 PM
Maybe in a few years when their singles careers are winding down, they might pair up and try and tackle the Grand Slam. Just to see if they can.

Maybe...

CCNM
01-16-2011, 12:31 PM
I'd really like to watch them as a serious doubles in a slam. I don't know if they would win but for sure it would be quite a spectacle.
I'd give every penny to see that......:)

P_Agony
01-16-2011, 01:07 PM
I would like to see Fed team up with Gasquet for doubles. More beautiful tennis.

mental midget
01-16-2011, 01:35 PM

with a bit of practice they would dominate the doubles tour. roger and nadal are just much better tennis players, honestly.

Cesc Fabregas
01-16-2011, 02:42 PM
I would definitely tune in to watch Federer and Nadal play doubles together. In fact, I would tune in more than to watch any other doubles team play. Both Federer and Nadal are such great shotmakers so it would be hella fun to watch them play doubles together.

Ok, who killed BreakPoint and replaced him with this guy?

BreakPoint
01-16-2011, 02:46 PM
Ok, who killed BreakPoint and replaced him with this guy?
So when's Soderling going to fall out of the Top 20 again now that's he's overtaken Murray in the rankings at #4? :oops:

dh003i
01-16-2011, 03:53 PM
The Bryans wouldn't get blown out, but a team of Federer and Wawrinka beat them in straights. I think Nadal and Federer could do the same.

I agree. I don't know why there is even a debate about this. As good as tye Bryans are together, they were beat in straights by Federer and Wawrinka. If Federer and Nadal had any kind of practice together in doubles, there is no way the Bryan bros could beat them unless they Federer had mono and Nadal's knees gave out.

However, I'm not sure it would be seen as much of an accomplishment, and it might even feel a little bit unfair.

BLACKOUT
01-16-2011, 04:07 PM
All forehands, all day, definitely wouldn't be good for some of the other teams

mental midget
01-16-2011, 07:16 PM
I agree. I don't know why there is even a debate about this. As good as tye Bryans are together, they were beat in straights by Federer and Wawrinka. If Federer and Nadal had any kind of practice together in doubles, there is no way the Bryan bros could beat them unless they Federer had mono and Nadal's knees gave out.

However, I'm not sure it would be seen as much of an accomplishment, and it might even feel a little bit unfair.

this. there is a very large skill gap between the doubles players and the top singles players. not a controversial opinion, just the way it is. not taking anything away from the bryan brothers et al, they're very good at what they do. just a different ball game.