PDA

View Full Version : how to get a tennis court built in the community?

tennispinoy
01-16-2011, 11:54 AM
I live in an area where the only tennis courts are at high schools. They are starting tennis season so now I cannot play until they finish at like 7pm.. Is there a way to get a public tennis court built in my area?

El Diablo
01-16-2011, 12:27 PM
Your local government presumably has elected representatives. Contact them. Your chances are better if you bring data. For example, find out how many tennis courts other communities in the area have per 1000 residents, be able to demonstrate that your community has less than this number. Also, one person expressing a request is not impressive. You need a petition with many signatures.

SFrazeur
01-16-2011, 12:40 PM
Also, if you are in the USA: contact your state's USTA sectional office: http://www.usta.com/About-USTA/Organization/Sections/Sections/
As will as your Community Tennis Association (CTA).

-SF

TheIrrefutableOne
01-16-2011, 08:30 PM
do you know how much it costs ? Unless you are living in Beverly Hills your chances are slim.

Are there private clubs in the area ?

billsgwn
01-18-2011, 11:14 AM
do you know how much it costs ? Unless you are living in Beverly Hills your chances are slim.

Are there private clubs in the area ?

Youre right, especially with every state in the country running huge deficits.

tacoben
01-18-2011, 11:45 AM
Your local government presumably has elected representatives. Contact them. Your chances are better if you bring data. For example, find out how many tennis courts other communities in the area have per 1000 residents, be able to demonstrate that your community has less than this number. Also, one person expressing a request is not impressive. You need a petition with many signatures.

I agree on gathering petitions. In our area, we are fighting an opposing group who want to covert some of our public courts for community gardens. There are other groups who use the courts for soccer, dog running, bike polo and it's a pain in the butt to get these people off the courts. My suggestion would be for a revenue generating pay to play type facility. A nominal fee for a year for access keys (keeps the rift/rafts out), helps to absorb some of the cost for the construction, maintenance, and lighting for night play.

TheIrrefutableOne
01-18-2011, 09:43 PM
did you know courts cost $40,000. +++ each. You would need more than a nominal fee to pay for them, and maintain them.

The USTA had grants of $1,500 -$2,000 for courts, not much help