PDA

View Full Version : Wozniacki Volleying More?

callmethedoctor
01-16-2011, 06:36 PM
So over last year, we saw Woz becoming more aggressive; she threw a lot less moonballs and learned to hit her backhand with pace. At this Aussie Open I'm already seeing her try to volley a lot more. And despite her bad approach shots (which will get better with coaching), she's quite successful.

Opinions?

kishnabe
01-16-2011, 07:36 PM
She pushing for now...if there is some diff tactics...I expect them in bigger matches!

Wozupniacki
01-16-2011, 08:53 PM
I think Caro was 17/25 at the net. A number of those were Dulko drop shots but still fairly high. So yes, we'll probably see Caro come to the net more often. Her strongest point has always been her eagerness to develop her game and learn new skills. Obviously she still has a long way to go before she's fully comfortable at the net, but when she shakes off the winter rust in a couple of weeks I think we might see something pretty good.

Sid_Vicious
01-16-2011, 11:08 PM
I didn't really see much agressive play from her today. Dulko had 35 winners and 38 unforced errors, while Woz had 15 winners and 15 unforced errors. Wozniacki plays really unimpressive for a world number 1 player.

single_handed_champion
01-17-2011, 09:33 AM
Dulko was controlling the outcome of most rallies. It is puzzling when such slight players can overpower Wozniacki (Cibulkova last week). She has to hit several deep balls in the corners to win points against a solid, aggressive opponent. If Dulko's forehand hadn't gone AWOL midway through the 1st set, this could have been very different.

I like Caroline, but her game seems overall much less punchy at this time, not enough depth, no conviction, and even her backhands are predictable. It was funny to see Dulko so upset with herself, as though she expected to win this match.

Sartorius
01-17-2011, 09:50 AM
Well, she did come to the net here and there, it often happened as a result of Dulko's play though, and some of her volleys looked very average, IMO.

Still, it's positive play I guess. Because against Dulko the gist of her play was still scrambling from the back, that's probably not going to be enough in the long run.

Underhand
01-17-2011, 11:08 AM
Wozniacki's game was dumb, Dulko had much more variety, she could have beaten the pusher with more consistency.

Doublebounce
01-17-2011, 11:16 AM
Shes gonna get owned by ciby in the third round! noo chance