PDA

View Full Version : the first asian player to win

aaziz
01-16-2011, 11:04 PM
a grand slam. i think it will be chinese or indian. i dont think of micheal chang as chinese, since he was born in usa

Underhand
01-16-2011, 11:15 PM
Will be Jet Li.

dantheman
01-16-2011, 11:21 PM
Most likely Kei Nishokori at the French Open or US Open.

Sentinel
01-17-2011, 03:29 AM
leander paes and mahesh have won several slams.

Singles. Don;'t think an indian will. praps some chinese/hongkong chap who is not yet playing or born.

Manus Domini
01-17-2011, 05:05 AM
Does chang count?

MichaelChang
01-17-2011, 05:08 AM
Since you didn't say it is men's only, then it is obviously chinese who have some decent female players, who have reached slam semi in singles. and have won slam title in doubles.

christinamaniac7
01-17-2011, 05:12 AM
Will be Jet Li.

Is it supposed to be funny then? :confused:

Manus Domini
01-17-2011, 05:20 AM
Singles or Doubles?

Men's, Women's, Mixed, or Juniors?

A Slam, or the Grand Slam?

westside
01-17-2011, 05:29 AM
I chose 'some other country'.

I hear they have some great players coming up

aaziz
01-17-2011, 06:13 AM
men/women singles

sureshs
01-17-2011, 06:14 AM
Sharapova has won 3 Slams. She is Asian.

sureshs
01-17-2011, 06:15 AM
ksbh could have won a Slam but he was too busy with Z Aman

Markov
01-17-2011, 07:17 AM
Singles..

Men: They might not have enough time before the grand slam tournaments (and maybe tennis itself) will cease to exist.

Women: China. In 10 years.

tennisnoob3
01-17-2011, 07:22 AM
Sharapova has won 3 Slams. She is Asian.

LOL truth. its hard to visually consider them asian due to their skin color and vast environmental differences.

i guess thread should be retitled "southeast" asian then.

Sentinel
01-17-2011, 07:29 AM
LOL truth. its hard to visually consider them asian due to their skin color and vast environmental differences.

i guess thread should be retitled "southeast" asian then.
Let's say "Non-white Asians" :)

that way, if we ever discuss Africa we can also exclude South Africa.

sureshs
01-17-2011, 08:08 AM
Li Na just defeated Clijsters

Manus Domini
01-17-2011, 08:10 AM

Asian is Asian lol

li0scc0
01-17-2011, 08:25 AM
Let's just simply say 'ethnic' Asian born in Asia.
So a Kazakh could be Asian if they are ethnic Asian.
Sharapova is Caucasian, not ethnic Asian.
Chang is ethnic Asian, not born in Asia.
My take is the first ethnic Asian born in Asia will be a Chinese woman.

sureshs
01-17-2011, 08:28 AM
Rohan Bopanna is the GOAT

Ambivalent
01-17-2011, 09:03 AM
Why does Michael Chang not count? His genetics are pure Asian.

sureshs
01-17-2011, 09:06 AM

You know that most people in South Africa are not white, right?

Manus Domini
01-17-2011, 09:46 AM
Let's just simply say 'ethnic' Asian born in Asia.
So a Kazakh could be Asian if they are ethnic Asian.
Sharapova is Caucasian, not ethnic Asian.
Chang is ethnic Asian, not born in Asia.
My take is the first ethnic Asian born in Asia will be a Chinese woman.

Wrong, Sharapova is not Caucasian, she is Ob-Ugrian, which is a Uralic ethinic group, which is a North Asian Group

Case and point

Manus Domini
01-17-2011, 10:02 AM
Also, Marat Safin is a Tatar, which is an Asian race, so there you go, even before Maria

tennisnoob3
01-17-2011, 10:09 AM
Why does Michael Chang not count? His genetics are pure Asian.

this thread would be illegitimate if so lol.

sureshs, the percentage of whites in south africa is much greater than the rest of africa, excluding egyptians who are considered, i believe, Caucasian.

Fliparoni
01-17-2011, 11:55 AM
The people of Northern Africa, which includes Egypt, Algeria, etc., are distinctly different from the people of sub-Saharan Africa. Arabs, Berber's, etc, are the dominant people's of northern africa.

kelawai
01-17-2011, 12:38 PM
Are you sure Michael Chang is not Chinese? He don't look Black or White to me.

WhiskeyEE
01-17-2011, 12:45 PM
Wrong, Sharapova is not Caucasian, she is Ob-Ugrian, which is a Uralic ethinic group, which is a North Asian Group

Case and point

she's still caucasian. a lot of asians are caucasian. caucasian is extremely broad and includes people of european, north african, middle eastern, and even some of indian and west chinese descent.

WhiskeyEE
01-17-2011, 12:46 PM
Also, Marat Safin is a Tatar, which is an Asian race, so there you go, even before Maria

and tatars are descendent from turks, who are also caucasian.

i think it's pretty obvious OP is referring to desi or han type people. you don't need to be so literal with the "asian" classification.

li0scc0
01-17-2011, 12:58 PM
The original poster is referring to Asian as a 'race', which is absolutely fine. The original poster is also referring to Asian as a place of birth/residence.
Michael Chang - race is Asian, but he is American.
If we want to get picky, we could say that Irish people have won many majors (e.g. McEnroe and Connors).

Markov
01-17-2011, 01:01 PM
Michael Chang is ethnically a pure asian, but he was born and trained in the US. So he was basically just another successful product of the American junior coaching system. If he had trained in China as a junior, he would have had no success. Even his huge talent wouldn't have helped him. In fact, I doubt he would have started playing tennis at all. He would have been playing badminton or table tennis...

The reason why asian men do poorly at tennis is the lack of popularity the sport has in the East. If tennis was the most popular sport in China, they would dominate the ATP tour. They'd probably have around 8 guys in the top 10, just like in badminton or table tennis. If they put all that work they put in those sports into tennis, they would certainly be the best in the world.

Manus Domini
01-17-2011, 01:02 PM
she's still caucasian. a lot of asians are caucasian. caucasian is extremely broad and includes people of european, north african, middle eastern, and even some of indian and west chinese descent.

wrong. The ethnic group caucasian is the Caucas mountain region as place of origin. Just cause she is blond haired, fair skinned does not mean she isn't Asian.

and tatars are descendent from turks, who are also caucasian.

i think it's pretty obvious OP is referring to desi or han type people. you don't need to be so literal with the "asian" classification.

i think it's pretty obvious the OP is referring to the asian ethic groups type people. you don't need to be so stereotypical with the "asian" classification

WhiskeyEE
01-17-2011, 01:10 PM
wrong. The ethnic group caucasian is the Caucas mountain region as place of origin. Just cause she is blond haired, fair skinned does not mean she isn't Asian.

i think it's pretty obvious the OP is referring to the asian ethic groups type people. you don't need to be so stereotypical with the "asian" classification

i never said she wasn't asian, but she's still caucasian. caucasian isn't an ethnic group so much as a very broad anthropological classification like mongoloid or negroid and encompasses all of the ethnic groups (and several others) i stated previously. and i'm interpreting asian in a stereotypical manner since op obviously means "asian" in its typical american interpretation, which is indian, han chinese, south east asian, and maybe polynesian.

Manus Domini
01-17-2011, 01:14 PM
actually, it is an ethnic group http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caucasian_peoples

and according to American interpretation, Indian=/=Asian. Asian, at least from where I see people use it, is Chinese, Japanese, Korean, and other far east coast

WhiskeyEE
01-17-2011, 01:16 PM
actually, it is an ethnic group http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caucasian_peoples

and according to American interpretation, Indian=/=Asian. Asian, at least from where I see people use it, is Chinese, Japanese, Korean, and other far east coast

if you'd read the 1st sentence it says that it's a collection of various ethnic groups. it isn't its own ethnic group.

also, way to be selective about which wiki article you post. here's another:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Caucasian_race

The postulated subraces vary depending on the author, including but not limited to Nordic, Mediterranean, Alpine, Dinaric, East Baltic, Arabid, Turanid, Iranid and Armenoid subraces.

Manus Domini
01-17-2011, 01:17 PM
fine. Still my point stands that Sharapova is not part of any Caucasian ethnic group

aceX
01-17-2011, 01:19 PM
Australian Open - The Grand Slam of Asia/Pacific

Maybe Australian players are asian?

Manus Domini
01-17-2011, 01:20 PM
can we count them as such? I don't think so. Different continents

WhiskeyEE
01-17-2011, 01:20 PM
fine. Still my point stands that Sharapova is not part of any Caucasian ethnic group

she's probably a mixture of alpine and turkish or something. she sure as hell isn't mongoloid or negroid, so she's caucasian.

aceX
01-17-2011, 01:26 PM
Rodney Heath won the Australian Open in 1905. We have our answer!!!!!

Manus Domini
01-17-2011, 01:29 PM
1} Caucasian=/=non-Asian
2} She's not part of the Caucasian ethnic groups.

WhiskeyEE
01-17-2011, 01:32 PM
1} Caucasian=/=non-Asian
2} She's not part of the Caucasian ethnic groups.

you're right. it means =/= mongoloid asian, sub-saharan african, polynesian, native american, native australian, etc. Given that sharapova is none of those, she's caucasian. just like the uyghur's of western china (the non mixed one's) are caucasian since they're descendent from turks.

Manus Domini
01-17-2011, 01:36 PM
my point is even if she is caucasian (let's presume, shall we?), that does not mean she isn't Asian.

But to be Caucasian, you have to be from the Caucus mountain range, which she isn't. Remember, America separates India from Asia in it's census. According to you, they aren't the same either...

WhiskeyEE
01-17-2011, 01:39 PM
oh and i just looked up sharapova's ethnicity. her parents are ethnic belarussians, which are 100% caucasians, not even debatable. ROFL.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maria_Sharapova

Sharapova was born in 1987 to Yuri and Yelena, ethnic Belarusians, in the town of Nyagan' in Siberia, Russia.

now, if you're going to argue that belarussians aren't caucasian, i don't even know what to say.

WhiskeyEE
01-17-2011, 01:40 PM
my point is even if she is caucasian (let's presume, shall we?), that does not mean she isn't Asian.

But to be Caucasian, you have to be from the Caucus mountain range, which she isn't. Remember, America separates India from Asia in it's census. According to you, they aren't the same either...

i never said she wasn't asian. i just said that a lot of asians, including sharapova, are caucasian, since a lot of caucasians (including the turks and romans of the past) migrated there. but since her parents are from belarus that's a moot point.

HellBunni
01-17-2011, 02:15 PM
i never said she wasn't asian. i just said that a lot of asians, including sharapova, are caucasian, since a lot of caucasians (including the turks and romans of the past) migrated there. but since her parents are from belarus that's a moot point.

well that ends the thread then =)
since the op was asking about an Asian winning a GS.