PDA

View Full Version : Tennis PRACTICE ONLY facility? Would You go?

concort
01-17-2011, 07:26 AM
Hello fellow tennis fans out there,

I was wondering if there is anyone that would appreciate having a tennis practice facility local to them that would allow them to hit with a ball machine (that actually simulates real play) anytime they wanted without a membership or the need to schedule a court time? You just show up to an indoor facility and practice your strokes whenever you want for the time you wanted. Is this something you would take advantage of on a regular basis if you had something like this in your area to help improve your game and just stay "dialed-in" with your strokes?

Larrysümmers
01-17-2011, 07:43 AM
i would, i just dont know how the place would make a profit

concort
01-17-2011, 07:58 AM
It is about providing tennis players/fans in our area with something that is otherwise inaccessible, inconvenient or costly at a standard club. If this is something that players can easily, quickly and cost effectively practice at on a regular basis wouldn't you make it a routine in your practice?

r2473
01-17-2011, 08:16 AM
No

10nonono

Larrysümmers
01-17-2011, 08:25 AM
i would but i cant really seeing this happen without a fee. but if there was a place like a batting cage, but on a tennis court, id def do it.

PeterPanda
01-17-2011, 08:28 AM
I would dothis alot. But where's the profit margin. you would haveto charge alot.

TheIrrefutableOne
01-17-2011, 08:41 AM
Hello fellow tennis fans out there,

I was wondering if there is anyone that would appreciate having a tennis practice facility local to them that would allow them to hit with a ball machine (that actually simulates real play) anytime they wanted without a membership or the need to schedule a court time? You just show up to an indoor facility and practice your strokes whenever you want for the time you wanted. Is this something you would take advantage of on a regular basis if you had something like this in your area to help improve your game and just stay "dialed-in" with your strokes?

If you are considering investing in this I think it is a big risk. Ball machines are not a big help if you have poor technique. If you want to groove you strokes, just hit with someone.

Make a business plan if you are serious about this. I think you would find it is a huge risk.

concort
01-17-2011, 09:07 AM
Yes, It would be exactly like a batting range but for tennis! In fact I already copyrighted and am getting the name registered: Racket Range! And feel the tennis community is missing out on a really beneficial practice facility. Baseball enthusiasts/players have them (Batting Ranges)...And this facility would really help anyone from beginner, novice to expert levels. This type of facility could even be a place coaches bring their students to help perfect their form and work on their strokes. No stopping them from doing that.

And yes there would be a fee. It would be broken down into time increments...based on how long you are there hitting (20, 30, 40, 60 minutes). Just an open, free-for all hitting range for the tennis players finally.

concort
01-17-2011, 09:09 AM
If you are considering investing in this I think it is a big risk. Ball machines are not a big help if you have poor technique. If you want to groove you strokes, just hit with someone.

Make a business plan if you are serious about this. I think you would find it is a huge risk.

Agreed...If you have a poor stroke to begin with Racquet Range will not help you a whole lot but it would still be fun to just go hit without any commitments of a club membership or pricey fees.

sureshs
01-17-2011, 10:26 AM
Who will pick up the balls?

sureshs
01-17-2011, 10:28 AM
BTW, I think it is a good innovative idea. Solves the problem of trying to find partners all the time.

TheIrrefutableOne
01-17-2011, 03:51 PM
I think most tennis clubs have a ball machine you can rent........I am not trying to rain on your parade, I just hope you do a good job determining the market.

dlk
01-17-2011, 03:57 PM
I'd use it. What area is the potential market. I believe this could work in high tennis traffic areas. There is only 2-3 clubs on my side of town & they're over 15 miles away. Most of my city's clubs are on the wealthy side of town. The downtown area lost one of the largest clubs around my city. If promotion was right, Indy has room for another club, on westside.

TheOneHander
01-17-2011, 06:34 PM
Would you have the option to hit against a partner too?

pabletion
01-17-2011, 06:50 PM
I like the idea. Youre talking about no tennis court practice ranges, right? I imagine it as 20 feet wide and 40-45 feet long 'cages', where a feeding machine sends balls for you to hit againt targets at the back of the 'cage'.

Still a big tennis playing community would have to be around. Worth the mental energy.

dParis
01-17-2011, 08:19 PM
Tennis PRACTICE ONLY facility? Would You go?
Tennis practice only? No. But throw in a couple of clowns juggling bowling pins and I'll reconsider.
http://www.funwithatwist.com/images/pic%20categories/Jugglers/tullyjugglingggate.jpg

TheIrrefutableOne
01-18-2011, 07:29 AM
I'd use it. What area is the potential market. I believe this could work in high tennis traffic areas. There is only 2-3 clubs on my side of town & they're over 15 miles away. Most of my city's clubs are on the wealthy side of town. The downtown area lost one of the largest clubs around my city. If promotion was right, Indy has room for another club, on westside.

Why do you think that Indy lost the large club ? The key is demand, not promotion. I doubt the poster wants to run a charity, and lose money.

Just like real estate, it is all about location. That is why most of the clubs are on the wealthy side of town.

concort
01-18-2011, 10:31 AM
Why do you think that Indy lost the large club ? The key is demand, not promotion. I doubt the poster wants to run a charity, and lose money.

Just like real estate, it is all about location. That is why most of the clubs are on the wealthy side of town.

You are correct...not in it to run a charity. However with that said, the only real tennis club in my area is about a 1/2 hour drive but I do it just to play the game I love! I think if the location is within a reasonable distance from most good general populations, people will drive to get to it. It's not a McDonalds...The need to be on the corner of wealthy and extremely populated isn't as critical as it would be if there was competition.

dak95_00
01-18-2011, 12:45 PM
I like the idea but know it wouldn't work here in Columbus, OH. That is, I know of at least two former tennis clubs that are now indoor soccer facilities. Simple math, 8-16 people participating or 14-22 people participating. One brings spectators and allows for room for a snack bar and the other doesn't.

OP,

Good thought. I often wonder how much a club could charge per hour for the courts and still fill up each hour. Would you be willing to pay more up front for lower hourly court time or less up front for higher hourly court time. I wonder if the math has been completed/surveyed in the areas or if it is just a local lucky guess.

dlk
01-18-2011, 02:20 PM

The NCAA. Okay demand:-? Who said anything about charity? But it would be nice:shock:

TheBoom
01-18-2011, 05:07 PM
My room is cept for weekends :twisted: