PDA

View Full Version : If Federer wins the AO again he would own the history books forever

cueboyzn
01-17-2011, 08:12 AM
Because he would own 17 Slams (at least), a Career Slam, and the most astounding thing would be:

He would own 5 Grand Slams (at least) at 3 different Grand Slam tournaments.

Federer held this record at 3 times at 3 Slams. He holds it even now at 4-4-4. But to make it 5 would be an unreal, astonishing feat of sustained excellence and endurance at the highest level the sort of which the sport has never seen before or likely will never see again. Even Sampras only managed 2 Australian Opens along with his 7 Wimbledons and 5 US Opens. If Federer can bag another Australian, it would elevate him to another level again altogether, as I do not believe anyone would in future be able to win 5 slams at 3 Slam events, not even Nadal.

I am sure Roger is well aware of what this achievement would mean to his own legacy.

dandelion_smiley
01-17-2011, 08:17 AM
Because he would own 17 Slams (at least), a Career Slam, and the most astounding thing would be:

He would own 5 Grand Slams (at least) at 3 different Grand Slam tournaments.

Federer held this record at 3 times at 3 Slams. He holds it even now at 4-4-4. But to make it 5 would be an unreal, astonishing feat of sustained excellence and endurance at the highest level the sort of which the sport has never seen before or likely will never see again. Even Sampras only managed 2 Australian Opens along with his 7 Wimbledons and 5 US Opens. If Federer can bag another Australian, it would elevate him to another level again altogether, as I do not believe anyone would in future be able to win 5 slams at 3 Slam events, not even Nadal.

I am sure Roger is well aware of what this achievement would mean to his own legacy.

Nadal to have 3 different Slam touraments won at least 5 times would mean that he'd have to win 3 more Wimbledons and 4 Australians (or US Opens).

ollinger
01-17-2011, 08:23 AM
"likely will never see again".....seems strange to me that people think this when the prior career slam record holder, Sampras, only retired 8 years ago. And the guy Sampras eclipsed retired only about 20 years before Sampras showed up on the scene. So, far from these records enduring for a long time, it seems the pace has been for them to be broken every 10-20 years. And Rafa is already ahead of Fed's slam pace.

Wilander Fan
01-17-2011, 08:30 AM
This is impressive but Federer is really on the verge of some serious achievements. In addition to the AO, I believe he just needs to bag one more US Open and 2 Wimbys to be the all time holder for 3 of the four titles. Honestly, if not for Nadal, Fed would be zoning in on all time for all 4 slams. Thats video game stuff.

To close the record books for good, Fed needs to win 1AO, 1, US Open, 2 Wimby, and one more French for good measure. Thats 5 more slams.

HunterST
01-17-2011, 08:36 AM
This is impressive but Federer is really on the verge of some serious achievements. In addition to the AO, I believe he just needs to bag one more US Open and 2 Wimbys to be the all time holder for 3 of the four titles. Honestly, if not for Nadal, Fed would be zoning in on all time for all 4 slams. Thats video game stuff.

To close the record books for good, Fed needs to win 1AO, 1, US Open, 2 Wimby, and one more French for good measure. Thats 5 more slams.

why the us opens and wimbledons? I think one more Aus and one more French are important, but I don't think he has much more to prove at the US open or Wimbledon. Maybe you just think he needs 20 slams?

amaze
01-17-2011, 09:19 AM
He owns tennis already. Nothing can change anything about it. Time to move on, people.:rolleyes:

ruerooo
01-17-2011, 09:22 AM
why the us opens and wimbledons? I think one more Aus and one more French are important, but I don't think he has much more to prove at the US open or Wimbledon. Maybe you just think he needs 20 slams?

I'm sure he wants the Wimbledon because Pete still owns the record of seven.

And he wants that US Open because Polito interrupted his streak, and then Nole.

Cesc Fabregas
01-17-2011, 09:30 AM
No he would still have to go in the shop and pay for them like everyone else.

Manus Domini
01-17-2011, 10:08 AM
He'd need to beat Nadal at one or two majors again. And if he beats nadal on clay, he's cinched it

dandelion_smiley
01-17-2011, 11:34 AM
He'd need to beat Nadal at one or two majors again. And if he beats nadal on clay, he's cinched it

Federer needs to end up with more majors than Nadal and hope that a new Federer doesn't emerge anytime soon.

billnepill
01-17-2011, 11:49 AM
he is a living legend no matter what he does from now on. Actually, when he won the FO, he reached his final big goal.

However, I'm quite happy he still can find motivation to follow crazy schedules and try to play the best he can. His all-round tennis is incomparable with anything I've seen.

Jchurch
01-17-2011, 12:08 PM
Federer needs to end up with more majors than Nadal and hope that a new Federer doesn't emerge anytime soon.

I think this is one of his real motivations. Not many thought that Sampras' mark would fall in a mere 7 years after he left the game. Federer wants to rack up as many slams as possible so he doesn't have to watch someone else eclipse him like Sampras had to.

bolo
01-17-2011, 12:17 PM
No he would still have to go in the shop and pay for them like everyone else.

lol. Your funniest post. :)

NamRanger
01-17-2011, 01:08 PM

Even if he does that it would because Nadal is tired / mentally tired / injured etc.

Hitman
01-17-2011, 01:13 PM
I think he really wants this goal of having won three slams five times each. I do hope he can do it!!! :)

aceX
01-17-2011, 01:29 PM
also the world tour finals

Knightmace
01-17-2011, 01:39 PM
also the world tour finals
hes already won that 5 imtes???????

meg0529
01-17-2011, 01:56 PM
Don't worry, the Lord God Almighty :roll: Fed is already in the history books forever.

aceX
01-17-2011, 02:25 PM
http://assets.nydailynews.com/img/2009/06/08/amd_tennis_spectator.jpg

zapvor
01-17-2011, 10:05 PM
clearly hes goat, but years from now someone will start to catch up to him

veroniquem
01-17-2011, 10:32 PM
He'd still have only 1 slam on clay.

Hitman
01-17-2011, 10:48 PM

One is STILL infinitely better than zero clay slams. At least he can say he has one.

NamRanger
01-17-2011, 11:33 PM

So you finally acknowledge Federer actually won the FO with no Astrix? Woooo.

ksbh
01-18-2011, 06:39 AM
No points for guessing what Federer lovers say in their sleep! :)

Eternally_damned
01-18-2011, 06:50 AM
I don't know about History books, but he sure is in the Guinness Book of World Records, under "Most tears shed in a trophy ceremony by a male athlete."

Unfortunately, that's all there was left for Fed, since most tears shed in the locker room after a match (i.e. after W07) is held by Nadal.:evil:

newmark401
01-18-2011, 07:48 AM
I'm sure he wants the Wimbledon because Pete still owns the record of seven.

And he wants that US Open because Polito interrupted his streak, and then Nole.

Among men, William Renshaw (1881-6 and 1889) and Pete Sampras (1993-95, 1997-2000) currently hold the record for most Wimbledon singles titles (seven).

Eternally_damned
01-18-2011, 07:50 AM
Most talented helper monkey ever. Good job. :)

Kudos to you too, for you are the king monkey :)

nadal_slam_king
01-18-2011, 07:50 AM
Most importantly, if Federer beats his NEMESIS Simon he is in the 3rd round :shock:

Legend of Borg
01-18-2011, 08:48 AM
I don't know about History books, but he sure is in the Guinness Book of World Records, under "Most tears shed in a trophy ceremony by a male athlete."

This posting style reminds me of a certain poster we lost a few months ago.

Nah, it couldn't be.

It's probably coincidence.

TennisAddict121
01-18-2011, 09:31 AM
Most importantly, if Federer beats his NEMESIS Simon he is in the 3rd round :shock:

you mean the 2nd round :p

Also I don't think this will mean anything special, if that were the case it would be a general consensus that Laver is GOAT due to his 2 calender slams. People really only care about the total of slams, which Fed is leading right now. I don't think its out of the question someone like Nadal will beat it though. I wouldnt like to see it happen but its a definite possibility. I think some Fed fans are looking for some sense of security here

aphex
01-18-2011, 09:34 AM
Kudos to you too, for you are the king monkey :)

Lol...you're b..slapping this tool all over the place...

We all know he's TheLoneTool. And we know he likes it...LMAO

aphex
01-18-2011, 09:35 AM
This posting style reminds me of a certain poster we lost a few months ago.

Nah, it couldn't be.

It's probably coincidence.

Yep, it's TheLoneTool...how amusingly desperate to come back after a 3rd ban...LMAO