PDA

View Full Version : How many more Slams does Federer need...

cueboyzn
01-17-2011, 08:41 AM
To ensure he stays clear of Nadal as the all time Slam record holder when he retires, even after Nadal himself, is retired?

Is his record (16) safe as it stands?

Would 1 or 2 more Slams do it?

Or would he need 3-4 more Slams to put it beyond doubt?

Let's put this out there for the sake of this argument: If Federer won just 2 more Slams from now until his retirement, Nadal would need to repeat his entire career to equal Federer.

viduka0101
01-17-2011, 08:51 AM
there's no safe number

Manus Domini
01-17-2011, 10:05 AM
20. You never know, maybe one of his daughters will marry Nadal's son (when he has kids) and breed an all-powerful, true Fedal

dlk
01-17-2011, 10:07 AM
20. You never know, maybe one of his daughters will marry Nadal's son (when he has kids) and breed an all-powerful, true Fedal

WOW:shock:. That would be amazing. LOL, good post.

[Z]engin
01-17-2011, 10:34 AM
16 might be enough,

but I would prefer Roger having 20 slams. It's a nice number. :)

NadalAgassi
01-17-2011, 10:47 AM
Nadal has potential to win 22. So he needs 24 or so to be totally safe.

kevoT
01-17-2011, 11:21 AM
I think 3-4 should be good, but we'll see.

When federer was at the stage nadal is, was there the same worry about him passing sampras'? I don't seem to really recall anything; being 10 in '05 I doubt I was really concentrating on the tour :)

wilkinru
01-17-2011, 11:27 AM
10 more?

Nadal might be here for a while kids.

I am a huge ******* for the record.

dandelion_smiley
01-17-2011, 11:40 AM
delete post

caulcano
01-17-2011, 12:23 PM
4 more would probably put it out of Nadal's reach.

P_Agony
01-17-2011, 12:30 PM
Last year I predicted that the USO will decide who will hold most slams ever. I said if Nadal wins it, he will pass. If Fed wins it, Nadal will never pass him, and if both don't win it, it will remain undecided. Sadly, Nadal has won it so I think he will pass Federer.

What Federer needs to do is to stick around as long as he can trying to win as many slams as he can (won't get easy with age) and try to stop Nadal.

Nadalfan89
01-17-2011, 12:35 PM
I think Nadal has no real competition at the FO, so I honestly don't think another 5 FOs is out of the question. I think Nadal can win another 3 Wimbledons. Maybe another AO or two? I don't think he'll get another USO.

I'm think Nadal finishes with 18-20 grandslams so Federer would need at least 3.

dandelion_smiley
01-17-2011, 12:39 PM
I think Nadal has no real competition at the FO, so I honestly don't think another 5 FOs is out of the question. I think Nadal can win another 3 Wimbledons. Maybe another AO or two? I don't think he'll get another USO.

I'm think Nadal finishes with 18-20 grandslams so Federer would need at least 3.

Seriously 5 more French Opens? Out of the question?

TMF
01-17-2011, 12:40 PM
Nadal has potential to win 22. So he needs 24 or so to be totally safe.

Laughable.

Rafa has been on the tour since 2001, there's a lot of milage added up during those 10 years. Even if he gets a new legs implanted to play for another 10yrs, still, no way in hell he's going to win 13 more slams.

Legend of Borg
01-17-2011, 12:44 PM
The question is not applicable since Rafa will win 42 GSs.

NadalAgassi
01-17-2011, 12:45 PM
Laughable.

Rafa has been on the tour since 2001, there's a lot of milage added up during those 10 years. Even if he gets a new legs implanted to play for another 10yrs, still, no way in hell he's going to win 13 more slams.

I think Nadal has a goal to catch Agassi in hard court slams. So he will win another 4 or so hard court slams.

He also has the goal to catch Federer in Wimbledons I think. So another 4 or so Wimbledons.

French Open he will probably win the next 4 or so.

So another 11 slams or more.

TBrady
01-17-2011, 12:47 PM
I will be very suprised to see Nadal win 16 majors. I think his knees are going to need replacement soon which will put Rafa out for a long time.

Underhand
01-17-2011, 12:48 PM

The entire question is irrelevant because Donald Young will win more Slams than Federer and Nadal together.

viduka0101
01-17-2011, 12:50 PM
I think Nadal has a goal to catch Agassi in hard court slams. So he will win another 4 or so hard court slams.

He also has the goal to catch Federer in Wimbledons I think. So another 4 or so Wimbledons.

French Open he will probably win the next 4 or so.

So another 11 slams or more.

he has 9 at the moment
after 9 years on tour
what are you smoking my friend?

P_Agony
01-17-2011, 12:50 PM

5 FOs? Someone will eventually beat him on clay as well, and Nadal won't always be the best he is now. This year its pretty much a given but who knows, next year someone else might win it. If Soderling could beat him, others can too.

P_Agony
01-17-2011, 12:52 PM

And even in the last one he will say "oh no, for sure I am not favorite to win chere, no? Very very tough players, no? For sure I need to play my best to chave my chances, no?".

Markov
01-17-2011, 12:53 PM
20 slams has to be enough for a while... Though I doubt Nadal has enough time to reach even 16. But there will eventually be someone who'll top Fed and Rafa no matter what they do.

TMF
I will be very suprised to see Nadal win 16 majors. I think his knees are going to need replacement soon which will put Rafa out for a long time.

The problem is some people are predicting his future basing on his current form(winning the last 3 slams). And when he was in a severe drought in 2009, some were questioning his future(some even written him off).

I remember there's a thread about Federer chances to win 30 slams when he was #1. Crazy!

P_Agony

Who will become the future champion of "The Biggest Loser" :-)

TMF
01-17-2011, 12:56 PM
he has 9 at the moment
after 9 years on tour
what are you smoking my friend?

I want some of those weed too. :)

Manus Domini
01-17-2011, 12:59 PM
5 FOs? Someone will eventually beat him on clay as well, and Nadal won't always be the best he is now. This year its pretty much a given but who knows, next year someone else might win it. If Soderling could beat him, others can too.

someone already has beaten him on clay, don't you remember?

Bobby Jr
01-17-2011, 01:02 PM
Simple maths shows how improbable it will be for Nadal to achieve 20 slams. He's 24 now. With 6 years straight winning an average of 2 slams a year he would achieve it by age 30.

Can anyone really see him winning 2 slams per year, every year for another 6 years - much of which will be post-prime and, more to the point, when many of his peers and the new breed are all fighting fit? He might do it a couple of times but the odds really are stacked against him doing it 6 years straight.

Even Sampras got knocked off his sure-thing Wimbledon perch a few years before his final slam win.

aceX
01-17-2011, 01:08 PM
Federer will need 20 more

Manus Domini
01-17-2011, 01:15 PM
he'd need 20+ to have the record, depends how you are counting. Rosewall is ahead with 19

NadalAgassi
01-17-2011, 01:27 PM

There is nobody on the horizon to challenge him on clay. Eventually that player will come, most likely not until Rafa really slows down with age, but he isnt visibly coming up now. Only fluke like losses (eg- the Soderling one) can prevent him from winning the French for now.

Donald Young being one of the highest ranked 21 year olds (maybe still the highest) sadly speaks to the pathetic up and coming core at the moment.

Docalex007
01-17-2011, 01:31 PM
tLast year I predicted that the USO will decide who will hold most slams ever. I said if Nadal wins it, he will pass. If Fed wins it, Nadal will never pass him, and if both don't win it, it will remain undecided. Sadly, Nadal has won it so I think he will pass Federer.

What Federer needs to do is to stick around as long as he can trying to win as many slams as he can (won't get easy with age) and try to stop Nadal.

You're not a big fan of logic and rationality, are you?

That's the most absurd thing I've heard all day. Read some books on probability theory and randomness. :)

aceX
01-17-2011, 01:32 PM
Nalbandian will beat both of them

dandelion_smiley
01-17-2011, 01:34 PM
There is nobody on the horizon to challenge him on clay. Eventually that player will come, most likely not until Rafa really slows down with age, but he isnt visibly coming up now. Only fluke like losses (eg- the Soderling one) can prevent him from winning the French for now.

Donald Young being one of the highest ranked 21 year olds (maybe still the highest) sadly speaks to the pathetic up and coming core at the moment.

I think if Nadal losses at the French Open (this year or next year or whichever), he won't win it again. Nadal hits 25 by the time the FO comes up and this is probably his last "natural" peak year. Every single player starts to decline at 25 most, some do earlier, so Nadal is looking well when he's doing well. We'll see how he goes when he drops his form a little

Manus Domini
01-17-2011, 01:37 PM
no, not every player. Look at Agassi

NadalAgassi
01-17-2011, 01:47 PM
I think if Nadal losses at the French Open (this year or next year or whichever), he won't win it again. Nadal hits 25 by the time the FO comes up and this is probably his last "natural" peak year. Every single player starts to decline at 25 most, some do earlier, so Nadal is looking well when he's doing well. We'll see how he goes when he drops his form a little

Many players have peaks years past 25. Even looking at more modern players. Agassi's peak year was at 29. Lendl's last peak year was probably in 1987 at 27, but 1990 at age 30 had potential to be his best year ever but just didnt all come together. Muster had his peak year closer to 30. Even Federer had another peak year at 26 in 2007. Someone like Navratilova had her last peak year at 30, LOL!

The thing too is Nadal does not need to be at his peak to win the French anytime soon. Who can beat him. Federer isnt going to win another French at this point. Djokovic is an outside threat at best, Murray is no threat. Del Potro even if he recovers is a long shot to win there especialy over Nadal, as is Soderling. And the rest as well as the so called up and comers (who!?) are barely a footnote.

kishnabe
01-17-2011, 01:48 PM

Absolute Maximal peak in 22-28! After that body starts slowing down...especially tennis player who go through that huge stress of the tour. Only happy tennis players like Federer who is a goofball will decline past 30! Nadal complaining about the season is evident.

I do see Nadal winnning up to 16 slams but Federer isn't worried I bet. Only trolls who want to spur something up. Federer can win more slams up to 21. Even if he doesn't win any....no one can deny his legacy and even if Nadal reaches past Federer is slams. Federer is still the best of the era along with Nadal. Neither one getting over each other!

aceX
01-17-2011, 02:24 PM
http://gototennis.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/Federer_Nadal.jpg

Azzurri
01-17-2011, 04:17 PM
Nadal will be bald before he turns 30.

Fed should be good with 16 for a long time, but you never know. Many of us thought 14 was safe for longer than 10 years, so anything can happen. Nadal has a chance. I could see him winning 3 more FO and other 3-4 AO,W and USO's...so yes he could reach it over the next 4 years or so. But as someone said, he would have to play at the level he played in 10 unlike 09. But looking forward to all the tiny little feddie fans squirming!!!

oh, by the way Fed is/has been playing Nads may never catch Fed.

dh003i
01-17-2011, 04:52 PM
Nadal is undoubtedly the greatest clay-court player, but the FO is a young mans game and the idea that with his style of play, he can win it another 5 times seems pretty nuts.

Is it possible? Yes. But it would be an insane reach, and incredible accomplishment. Hardly something that would be easy to do. I'd say 2 more is a safe bet.