PDA

View Full Version : Rafa slam best achievement by a tennis player ever?

TheNatural
01-17-2011, 03:54 PM
Brad Gilbert says that if Nadal won the Rafa slam that it would be the best achievement by a tennis player ever. Does everyone agree?

8PAQ
01-17-2011, 03:58 PM
Brad Gilbert says that if Nadal won the Rafa slam that it would be the best achievement by a tennis player ever. Does everyone agree?

Agree if you ignore everything achieved by Federer and Rod Laver and Graff etc. So basically if you have a memory of a 2 year old.

danielrios
01-17-2011, 04:00 PM
Brad is on crack this Aussie

OrangePower
01-17-2011, 04:01 PM

What context did he say that in? Just curious if he mentioned Laver's two CYGS. In my book 2 x CYGS > 1 x NCYGS in terms of best achievement ever.

dlk
01-17-2011, 04:02 PM
No. It is cool accomplishment, but far from BEST achievement.

forzamilan90
01-17-2011, 04:06 PM
gilbert is sometimes funny, but last two years he's been on the rafa, murray bandwagon to the point that it's ridiculous. both laver's real grand slams are greater than this hypothetical (way too much discussion, guy hasn't even played his first match yet, and i do hope he doesn't succeed) feat and so are other tennis records such as federer's slam record, connors' gargantuan number of titles (if it goes back to before the open era there are more outrageous records)

IvanAndreevich
01-17-2011, 04:08 PM
How do you compare 23 straight GS semis to 4 slams in a row? They are both cool, just different. Gilbert just hyping stuff up.

P_Agony
01-17-2011, 04:09 PM

While not as flashy, I think 23 consecutive slam semis is by far the most impressive achievement by a tennis player. Its insane.

BreakPoint
01-17-2011, 04:09 PM
Getting to 23 consecutive Grand Slam semifinals is the best achievement EVER by a tennis player. This is not even in dispute. It's an achievement that will NEVER be equaled, period.

danielrios
01-17-2011, 04:10 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_qN2JkVBrBes/THMjH52Y5tI/AAAAAAAAAgs/1-MdNAV3JAA/s1600/roger-federer-15-grand-slam-trophies(3).jpg

Sid_Vicious
01-17-2011, 04:11 PM
Greatest achievement? That is quite subjective, IMO.

For me the following are just as impressive:
-Rod Laver winning the calendar grand slam after a 5 year hiatus in 1969
-Borg winning 41% (11/27) of the grand slam tournaments he played.
-Sampras winning 7 wimbledon titles in 8 years.
-Federer reaching 10 consecutive grand slam finals and winning 8 of them.
the list can go on and on.

P_Agony
01-17-2011, 04:13 PM
I love it how JMac, Chaill, Wilander and Brad are all riding the Rafa train now. It'll give Roger even more motivation to win this tournament so everyone will be back kissing his @$$ at least until the clay comes.

DMan
01-17-2011, 04:16 PM

Simply, No!

Winner_DownTheLine
01-17-2011, 04:24 PM
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_qN2JkVBrBes/THMjH52Y5tI/AAAAAAAAAgs/1-MdNAV3JAA/s1600/roger-federer-15-grand-slam-trophies(3).jpg

Thanks! for posting.....

Joe Pike
01-17-2011, 04:25 PM

BS.
Graf won the Golden Slam in 1988.
All four slams plus the Olympics in the same year!

Joe Pike
01-17-2011, 04:27 PM
Brad is on crack this Aussie

A cheap shot against Steffi.
Whom he apparently holds responsible for losing his job as Agassi's coach (because he talked too much and Steffi didn't like that).

Bud
01-17-2011, 04:32 PM
Getting to 23 consecutive Grand Slam semifinals is the best achievement EVER by a tennis player. This is not even in dispute. It's an achievement that will NEVER be equaled, period.

However, it means little. Titles count, SF's don't.

Telepatic
01-17-2011, 04:33 PM
I prefer 2 CYGS, but those are all great achievements.

ledwix
01-17-2011, 04:50 PM

Most would disagree and say that 23 semis in a row is one of the best achievements of all time. And it is. It's not like those semis resulted in 0 titles; they resulted in like 14 or 15.

So whether or not it "means something" to you seems to be quite irrelevant, since pretty much everyone realizes how impossibly high a standard it is.

Azzurri
01-17-2011, 04:50 PM
I try to like the guy, heard he is a nice fellow to meet, but man does he is just plain odd. It kinda tells me that Agassi must also be a freak since he was with him sooo long. Not saying he does not know tennis (coaching/technicals), but he is always throwing out extreme garbage and I just say "WHAAAAT???!!!!" every single slam broadcast he comments on. This could be the most idiotic thing ever said on TV.

Azzurri
01-17-2011, 04:53 PM

I think some will miss your point. You don't get a trophy for being in a semi-final. You don't get your name on the trophy at all. You are weighted in history based on wins...I get your point. I just think BP means that Fed getting to 23 consecutive SF is harder than what Rafa could potentially do. I see it both ways..but I get you.:)

revolution
01-17-2011, 04:59 PM
Great achievement, but not the best ever. But I feel Rafa has a great chance to win the calendar year grand slam this year, which would give him 7 GS in a row - that would be the best achievement ever in my mind.

John_Doe
01-17-2011, 05:04 PM
I'd personally vote for Steffi Graf's 1998 "Golden slam."

Hood_Man
01-17-2011, 05:07 PM
How about 237 consecutive weeks at #1?

Joe Pike
01-17-2011, 05:08 PM
How about 237 consecutive weeks at #1?

How about each slam at least won 4 times?

BreakPoint
01-17-2011, 05:13 PM
You're right. That's why 16 >>>>>>>>>>>>>>> 9 :)

Oh, and Nadal will never come anywhere near making 23 consecutive Grand Slam semis. What's his best streak, so far? Five? :oops:

BigServer1
01-17-2011, 05:15 PM

Brett Favre's consecutive starts streak is regarded as one of (if not the best) achievements in all of sport. He didn't win every game he played though...The same could be said for Cal Ripken's streak with the Orioles. Hell, Brett Favre only won a single super bowl and the Orioles never won much of anything, but the magnitude of the streaks stand on their own.

That was just an example of winning not always meaning everything...

If Rafa wins the AO this year, it will be a monumental achievement, but hardly the best in the history of tennis.

Bartelby
01-17-2011, 05:23 PM
If he gets four in a row, he'll be a sure thing for five.

Cup8489
01-17-2011, 05:38 PM
If he gets four in a row, he'll be a sure thing for five.

Nothing is ever sure, and if you keep saying it is, you will be eating your words in irony.

TheNatural
01-17-2011, 06:36 PM
What context did he say that in? Just curious if he mentioned Laver's two CYGS. In my book 2 x CYGS > 1 x NCYGS in terms of best achievement ever.

He actually said that a rafa slam would be the best achievement in tennis that he has ever seen. Here's exactly what Gilbert said: (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/tennis/top-stories/Nadal-going-for-4th-straight-major-at-Aussie-Open/articleshow/7281414.cms)

"Nothing Nadal does will surprise me anymore." Gilbert, who has coached Agassi and Andy Roddick, said it was Nadal's never-ending search for improvement that makes him the game's top player at the moment.

"He's constantly trying things. I'm not sure I've seen somebody in his position tweak his game as much as he has. That keeps him motivated." Gilbert said in a telephone interview. "It's hard to prognosticate about the tournament until you see the draw. But he's obviously the favourite, and he should win.

"It would obviously be the greatest accomplishment in tennis since Laver, but the only difference is, when Laver won the calendar Slam in '69, three of the four tournaments were on grass."

Gilbert points out that if Nadal wins four straight he will have done it on clay, grass and hard courts.

"It won't be a calendar Slam, but it'll be the greatest achievement that I've seen in tennis," Gilbert said. "In '69, I was 8 years old, and I couldn't comprehend what Laver did. There's no taking away from what Laver did, because he did it in a calendar year. But let's just say that this would be just off the charts. Almost unthinkable in this day and age. ...

"And potentially to do it with a guy like Federer in the mix, who's been one of the greatest players of all time, even makes it more amazing."

The-Champ
01-17-2011, 07:07 PM
The guy who won it in a single year is obviously more impressive.

TBrady
01-17-2011, 07:09 PM
Not even close. Collect a real Grand Slam and then, wait thats been done too. Total fail thread.

Bartelby
01-17-2011, 07:09 PM
While 'sure thing' is both a false and a somewhat overused phrase, the French clay is nevertheless his dominant surface and tournament.

Nothing is ever sure, and if you keep saying it is, you will be eating your words in irony.

OrangePower
01-17-2011, 07:46 PM
He actually said that a rafa slam would be the best achievement in tennis that he has ever seen. Here's exactly what Gilbert said: (http://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/sports/tennis/top-stories/Nadal-going-for-4th-straight-major-at-Aussie-Open/articleshow/7281414.cms)

"Nothing Nadal does will surprise me anymore." Gilbert, who has coached Agassi and Andy Roddick, said it was Nadal's never-ending search for improvement that makes him the game's top player at the moment.

"He's constantly trying things. I'm not sure I've seen somebody in his position tweak his game as much as he has. That keeps him motivated." Gilbert said in a telephone interview. "It's hard to prognosticate about the tournament until you see the draw. But he's obviously the favourite, and he should win.

"It would obviously be the greatest accomplishment in tennis since Laver, but the only difference is, when Laver won the calendar Slam in '69, three of the four tournaments were on grass."

Gilbert points out that if Nadal wins four straight he will have done it on clay, grass and hard courts.

"It won't be a calendar Slam, but it'll be the greatest achievement that I've seen in tennis," Gilbert said. "In '69, I was 8 years old, and I couldn't comprehend what Laver did. There's no taking away from what Laver did, because he did it in a calendar year. But let's just say that this would be just off the charts. Almost unthinkable in this day and age. ...

"And potentially to do it with a guy like Federer in the mix, who's been one of the greatest players of all time, even makes it more amazing."

Fair enough about the different surfaces vs Laver. But how about Graf, who did the CYGS plus the Olympic Gold in the same year to boot? Unless Gilbert also qualified it to include men only.

fednad
01-17-2011, 08:00 PM

All *********s would come here and agree with you.
What do you think would Shampoo (read Sampras) say about this?

Cooper_Tecnifibre4
01-17-2011, 08:02 PM
'Waiting for nadal_slam_king to come in with his Cool Storys, Bro'

coloskier
01-17-2011, 08:12 PM

I agree. Fed has how many at slams????? :lol: How many does Nadal have???

accidental
01-17-2011, 08:17 PM
Its alright I guess

MichaelNadal
01-17-2011, 09:19 PM

Gotta agree with this, it's a pretty sick stat.

namui
01-17-2011, 09:22 PM

No, I don't.

veroniquem
01-17-2011, 11:36 PM
All 4 at once on clay, grass, and hard? Yeah sure, best that I would see in my lifetime, no doubt.

Eternally_damned
01-18-2011, 05:12 AM
All 4 at once on clay, grass, and hard? Yeah sure, best that I would see in my lifetime, no doubt.

You already said calendar slam is better than non calendar slam. Why don't you try a cup of consistency for once? It will do wonders for your credibility

aphex
01-18-2011, 05:14 AM
You already said calendar slam is better than non calendar slam. Why don't you try a cup of consistency for once? It will do wonders for your credibility

That's gone a long, long time ago...

Hitman
01-18-2011, 07:13 AM
I personally think obsessively arranging his water bottles, slam after slam after slam, has got to be the greatest achievement that I've seen in the slams! Incredible fortitude and mental focus.

No one can touch Rafa on that! :) No doubt, that's is the best.

TJfederer16
01-18-2011, 08:09 AM
lol god could Brad get his c0ck any further up nadal's @as, this would be far from the greatest achievement in tennis.

nadal_slam_king
01-18-2011, 08:13 AM
Well, its not just going to be 4 consecutive slams, it will be at least 5 because of Roland Garros coming soon. No accomplishment can compare to this.

Eternally_damned
01-18-2011, 08:21 AM
Well, its not just going to be 4 consecutive slams, it will be at least 5 because of Roland Garros coming soon. No accomplishment can compare to this.

You likely would have touted the same after AO09.

nadal_slam_king
01-18-2011, 08:24 AM
You likely would have touted the same after AO09.

Likely? That's some point you made :shock:

Eternally_damned
01-18-2011, 08:25 AM
Likely? That's some point you made :shock:

Thanks, unlike you, I realize there are no absolutes, even from fools like you.

nadal_slam_king
01-18-2011, 08:29 AM
Thanks, unlike you, I realize there are no absolutes, even from fools like you.

Wow, typical rookie. Lucky for you no Federer fan can get banned around here :D

Eternally_damned
01-18-2011, 08:35 AM
Wow, typical rookie. Lucky for you no Federer fan can get banned around here :D

How is that rookie? Do you even know what rookie means?

dandelion_smiley
01-18-2011, 08:38 AM

I am so going to mock you if Nadal losses in Australia this year, I wouldn't even care all that much if Federer won but if Nadal losses you're done :)

Manus Domini
01-18-2011, 09:21 AM
hasn't happened yet...

darrinbaker00
01-18-2011, 09:25 AM

Gilbert wants people to forget about Don Budge so that he can be recognized as the Bay Area's greatest male player. When Brad was born, the doctor said, "Congratulations, Mr. and Mrs. Gilbert. It's an ego!"

Manus Domini
01-18-2011, 09:44 AM
Gilbert wants people to forget about Don Budge so that he can be recognized as the Bay Area's greatest male player. When Brad was born, the doctor said, "Congratulations, Mr. and Mrs. Gilbert. It's an ego!"

Best post of the day so far!

mcenroefan
01-18-2011, 11:01 AM
Lots of impressive accomplishments: Laver's Grand Slam, Fed's slam records, Connnor's and others' career winning percentage, Mac's 82-3 record in 1984......choosing which one is the "greatest" is entirely subjective.

IMO, I don't think it's the greatest but it certainly is impressive. I'd rank it higher if he had beaten Fed in all of those finals but he didn't face him in any of them...particulalry at Wimby and the US Open.

Additionally, these types of threads do a great disservice to the older player's accomplishments...everything these days is "slams." A lot of what BG and other commentators say is designed to hype the current players....they don 't get much press and coverage by having nostalgic conversations regarding the greatness of Borg, Connors, LAver, and MAc so they engage in conversations and hype that will generate ratings.