PDA

View Full Version : Chris Fowler asked Nadal what he thought about Fed hiring Annacone to beat him

fedfan08
01-18-2011, 12:11 AM
So tonight on ESPN we had 20 minutes of Chris Fowler and his man crush on Nadal. At one point in the interview he asked Nadal what he thought of Federer hiring Paul Annacone "to beat him". What a stupid question. Who asks a player what they think of another player's coaching changes? Plus does Fowler really think the only reason Fed hired Annacone was because of Nadal? In 2010 he and Nadal only played each other twice, Nadal winningn once and Fed winning once. Really this guy should be banned from interviews and from calling matches. What an embarrassment.

Pwned
01-18-2011, 12:15 AM
He even went as far to say Federer made it clear that is why he hired Annacone. I think Fowler was trying to get a controversial response from Nadal instead of the generic ones most of these players put out. Nadal handled it well. I found it funny because Federer doesn't say ANYTHING about Annacone. He gives no inside info ever.

fedfan08
01-18-2011, 12:42 AM
He even went as far to say Federer made it clear that is why he hired Annacone. I think Fowler was trying to get a controversial response from Nadal instead of the generic ones most of these players put out. Nadal handled it well. I found it funny because Federer doesn't say ANYTHING about Annacone. He gives no inside info ever.Yet there is NO interview or press conference where Federer says that's why he hired Annacone. So Fowler just made it up. He's just a pot stirrer. Like asking Nadal why he flys commerical. There's only one reason he's asking that question (hint: Fed has an endorsement deal with NetJets). I've never heard him ask any other player why they fly a certain way.

amaze
01-18-2011, 12:49 AM
When clowns like Fowler or Wilander are commentating tennis matches or hosting an 'expert' TV show there should be a highly noticable warning mark on the screen so that sane tennis fans could avoid unnecessary brain damage.

Scientist
01-18-2011, 12:53 AM
I really wish he would just stick to college football and all that frat-boy rabble. He can get really annoying at times.

Legend of Borg
01-18-2011, 12:54 AM
Did he really put it that way?

I though this was stupidity which only BG was capable of committing.

I stand corrected.

ruerooo
01-18-2011, 12:58 AM
He even went as far to say Federer made it clear that is why he hired Annacone. I think Fowler was trying to get a controversial response from Nadal instead of the generic ones most of these players put out. Nadal handled it well. I found it funny because Federer doesn't say ANYTHING about Annacone. He gives no inside info ever.

Roger has actually talked a little more than usual recently about Paul joining his team, but Rafa has always been a smoothie with the media.

Advantage of growing up in a sports family.

ruerooo
01-18-2011, 12:59 AM
Yet there is NO interview or press conference where Federer says that's why he hired Annacone. So Fowler just made it up. He's just a pot stirrer. Like asking Nadal why he flys commerical. There's only one reason he's asking that question (hint: Fed has an endorsement deal with NetJets). I've never heard him ask any other player why they fly a certain way.

Oh dear. That's so tacky. Chris Fowler, go sit down.

Fedex
01-18-2011, 01:02 AM

Maybe he's embarrassed that he screwed British Tennis for millions.
Ooops!

namelessone
01-18-2011, 01:09 AM
So tonight on ESPN we had 20 minutes of Chris Fowler and his man crush on Nadal. At one point in the interview he asked Nadal what he thought of Federer hiring Paul Annacone "to beat him". What a stupid question. Who asks a player what they think of another player's coaching changes? Plus does Fowler really think the only reason Fed hired Annacone was because of Nadal? In 2010 he and Nadal only played each other twice, Nadal winningn once and Fed winning once. Really this guy should be banned from interviews and from calling matches. What an embarrassment.

LOL.

Most tennis commentators/interviewers I have heard in my life, from various networks(USA/Britain/Spain/Romania) sound like complete dumbasses, who repeat the same cliches, offer no insightful analysis and to top it off, manage to annoy the hell out of their audience with BS like the one spouted above.

jamesblakefan#1
01-18-2011, 01:13 AM
I love it how some Federer fans are starting to sound like jilted lovers just b/c the commentators are going gaga over Rafa's junk. It gets sickening to me at times too, but threads like this are just petty. It's like Fed fans are the jilted ex-lover ****ed b/c of the new boyfriend their ex has.

JoelDali
01-18-2011, 01:18 AM
Fowler is am epic fail.

billnepill
01-18-2011, 01:22 AM
it is a stupid question, because the valid answer is obvious.

Of course, Federer hired Anacone to help him beat Nadal... as well as to help him beat every other player on tour.

If anything, the question is an insult to Nadal's intelligence. No one in their right mind would fall in this trap.

bezs
01-18-2011, 01:23 AM
High time Nadal got a Anaconda of his own. :twisted:

Underhand
01-18-2011, 01:34 AM
"My uncle, Toni can beats that Anaconda guy, no?"

fedfan08
01-18-2011, 03:59 AM
it is a stupid question, because the valid answer is obvious.

Of course, Federer hired Anacone to help him beat Nadal... as well as to help him beat every other player on tour.

If anything, the question is an insult to Nadal's intelligence. No one in their right mind would fall in this trap.Exactly.

10 char

nadal_slam_king
01-18-2011, 04:08 AM

No doubt about that :D

Messarger
01-18-2011, 04:19 AM

'Well for sure Federer is an unbelievable player. what he has done for tennis is amazing and like i say many times before he is the best in our history. But maybe he looking to improve more no? In tennis you can always improve so hire Paul to help him with his tennis. I think gonna work really well together no? Annacone experience a lot and sometimes can be important in tough decisions. But for sure i think Toni is there too. So we gonna do our best with 100% focus for this season and try to play my best tennis.'

nadal_slam_king
01-18-2011, 05:15 AM
'Well for sure Federer is an unbelievable player. what he has done for tennis is amazing and like i say many times before he is the best in our history. But maybe he looking to improve more no? In tennis you can always improve so hire Paul to help him with his tennis. I think gonna work really well together no? Annacone experience a lot and sometimes can be important in tough decisions. But for sure i think Toni is there too. So we gonna do our best with 100% focus for this season and try to play my best tennis.'

Perfect :D

jerriy
01-18-2011, 05:39 AM
"My uncle, Toni can beats that Anaconda guy, no?"You said it as a joke but basically Fooler wanted Nadal to pretty much say something along those lines

And Nadal knew exactly that that was what the sneaky Limey was up to.

namelessone
01-18-2011, 06:09 AM

You forgot "Just can say thank you very much" in whatever context :)

slice bh compliment
01-18-2011, 07:33 AM
Maybe he's embarrassed that he screwed British Tennis for millions.
Ooops!

Tell us about this. We don't hear this in the US tennis scene.

You said it as a joke but basically Fooler wanted Nadal to pretty much say something along those lines

And Nadal knew exactly that that was what the sneaky Limey was up to.

Who is the Limey?

jerriy
01-18-2011, 07:36 AM
^ Sorry I meant Yank :)

fundrazer
01-18-2011, 07:45 AM
To be honest I think Chris has done a fine job with the tennis commentating. He isn't an expert and doesn't pretend to be one. He has some basic knowledge but usually asks BG or Cahill for the more in depth stuff. If you want to complain about anything, tell ESPN to get rid of Tom Rinaldi and that Chris Mcwatsherface from all tennis coverage.

slice bh compliment
01-18-2011, 07:48 AM
He's not a tennis guy, clearly. I met him at a party once. Nice enough guy. Loves tennis. Trying.

I hate to give him a pass on the bush-league questions and comments, but...my guess is that he is under some pressure to impress. You would not catch an actual tennis broadcaster with a name in tennis asking that kind of stuff. I think the execs push that sort of thing, and Fowler's really perfect for it.

joeri888
01-18-2011, 08:08 AM

What was Rafa's reaction?

It's an idiotic question. After losing to Baghdatis, Soderling and Berdych (twice!) in big events, the last thing Fed was worrying about was Rafael Nadal.

mcenroefan
01-18-2011, 08:19 AM

That's pretty funny. Rafa's responses sometimes remind me of how Tim Robbin's was coached to respond in Bull Durham.

mental midget
01-18-2011, 08:27 AM
what is the purpose of interviewing nadal? fowler might as well have just read the back of a box of baking soda for 15 minutes.

Manus Domini
01-18-2011, 09:11 AM

he was the sensible one with Cahill's rubbish. What happened?

Seriously, do these "experts" even know what it means to be impartial?

sureshs
01-18-2011, 09:16 AM
It is not an idiotic question at all. From the YEC, we could easily see that Fed had been focusing on getting more first serves in so as to lessen the Nadal pressure on the second, coming to the net more to avoid long points with Nadal, and most importantly showing off an improved backhand which might be able to keep pace with Nadal's bombardment to that side.

Clearly, Nadal was the reason Annacone was hired.

nikdom
01-18-2011, 09:28 AM
It is not an idiotic question at all. From the YEC, we could easily see that Fed had been focusing on getting more first serves in so as to lessen the Nadal pressure on the second, coming to the net more to avoid long points with Nadal, and most importantly showing off an improved backhand which might be able to keep pace with Nadal's bombardment to that side.

Yeah, it was a very suresh-like question. Idiotic, designed to provoke a controversial remark and meant for nothing more than attracting attention.

In other words, Chris Fowler is a troll

Semi-Pro
01-18-2011, 09:36 AM
Saw the whole thing. At times during the interview Fowler was trying to even downgrade his English vocab just so Rafa would understand some of the stupid questions he was asking.

P_Agony
01-18-2011, 10:00 AM
I love it how some Federer fans are starting to sound like jilted lovers just b/c the commentators are going gaga over Rafa's junk. It gets sickening to me at times too, but threads like this are just petty. It's like Fed fans are the jilted ex-lover ****ed b/c of the new boyfriend their ex has.

On the contrary, I think Federer is just getting more motivated because of all the Rafa love by the media. Fed wants the top ranking back, he want slam titles, and he's going to fight for it. The media kisses Nadal's butt now, but they will always kiss the butt of whoever's on top at the moment.

JoelDali
01-18-2011, 10:01 AM
Fowler ====== FAIL

Bhagi Katbamna
01-18-2011, 10:03 AM
C'mon, don't kid youselves. Of course Federer hired Annacone to help against Nadal.

jamesblakefan#1
01-18-2011, 10:04 AM
On the contrary, I think Federer is just getting more motivated because of all the Rafa love by the media. Fed wants the top ranking back, he want slam titles, and he's going to fight for it. The media kisses Nadal's butt now, but they will always kiss the butt of whoever's on top at the moment.

I said Federer FANS, not Fed himself, and only some, not all.

zak425
01-18-2011, 10:07 AM

Actually there was an interview where Fed was very open about what changes Annacone has suggested and how he has added that to his game. From memory he said something like "Yea Paul really wanted to have me become more offensive and also more aggressive off the return, he noticed that I chip the ball back on my BH side, as I can do that all day, and he wanted me to hit aggressively. I think it has worked out, and as you can see I am playing really well..."

BTW I dont think Fowler was trying to jab Nadal or Fed, but thats the major storyline so they need to talk about it to get hype. Nadal was great in the interview and showed me that as a Fed fan that I can still respect and like Nadal as well.

He asked a question about flying coach because its unusual for a big time athlete to do that. He wasn't trying to send any messages to anyone, because it would be awful hypocritical as I am sure Fowler didnt arrive in coach on a commercial airline

sureshs
01-18-2011, 10:08 AM
C'mon, don't kid youselves. Of course Federer hired Annacone to help against Nadal.

Obvious to anyone except *******s

cknobman
01-18-2011, 10:10 AM
The only reason I dont turn the channel when I see Chris Fowler is because I want to witness the day someone snaps and beats the living ***** out of him.

Fowler is a first class moron and ever since he has come into tennis commentary he perpetually makes a fool of himself with stupid comments. Now days he has just become flat out rude and obnoxious interupting others trying to force his opinions and goad a conflict out of people.

rh310
01-18-2011, 10:54 AM
I can't wait until we have the ability to mix our own sound sources on sporting events.

Up the on-court mics, down the booth mics.

It wouldn't be so bad if they could simply SHUT UP while the points are being played. Nobody tunes in to listen to them YAMMER.

jerriy
01-18-2011, 11:07 AM
C'mon, don't kid youselves. Of course Federer hired Annacone to help against Nadal.No sht, Sherlock?

The point is that a half truth is also a lie (Fed needs all the help he could get on how to beat Murray and Djoko and Sod and so on and so forth).

There is a saying that stagnation equals going backwards. In other words there's always something that Fed could learn and could improve and could adapt-to as time goes by and as everyone around him evolves

sureshs
01-18-2011, 11:20 AM
I can't wait until we have the ability to mix our own sound sources on sporting events.

Up the on-court mics, down the booth mics.

It wouldn't be so bad if they could simply SHUT UP while the points are being played. Nobody tunes in to listen to them YAMMER.

Non hard-core tennis fans often enjoy the commentary and tidbits. The networks know that. They can't cater only to a small group of fans.

Pwned
01-18-2011, 02:02 PM
Actually there was an interview where Fed was very open about what changes Annacone has suggested and how he has added that to his game. From memory he said something like "Yea Paul really wanted to have me become more offensive and also more aggressive off the return, he noticed that I chip the ball back on my BH side, as I can do that all day, and he wanted me to hit aggressively. I think it has worked out, and as you can see I am playing really well..."

BTW I dont think Fowler was trying to jab Nadal or Fed, but thats the major storyline so they need to talk about it to get hype. Nadal was great in the interview and showed me that as a Fed fan that I can still respect and like Nadal as well.

He asked a question about flying coach because its unusual for a big time athlete to do that. He wasn't trying to send any messages to anyone, because it would be awful hypocritical as I am sure Fowler didnt arrive in coach on a commercial airline
He did not attribute those things to Paul though. He stated that he was trying to make those changes. In the last 6 months when someone has tried to give Paul the credit for changes in Federer's game, Federer has been quick to give Luthi credit as well and not put it all on Annacone. And I think that is out of respect for Luthi and the lack of respect Luthi gets from the press and commentators.

meg0529
01-18-2011, 02:09 PM
Here is a video of the thing. Real bozo question. Clearly trying to start stuff.

http://www.dailymotion.com/video/xgm8hz_r1-int_sport#from=embed.

His starting is bad enough. "By retiring Daniel, shortened what would have been a bad beating anyway." Yes every knew it, but it's not very professional to announce it like that. What exactly can Rafa say to that?

Rafa is hilarious, I love how he says it would be great to face Roger in the final, because it would mean he made it to the final.

monique s
01-18-2011, 02:37 PM
Fowler is a clown who does not know anything about tennis. He ask million of questions to the others while we try to watch tennis....never stop yaking and laughing, mostly to his own jokes or laughing about tennis players. The worst thing he did was a few years ago, while Nalbandian was changing shirt, they were talking about his weight and laughing, when he said to the others, look, look, how he is fat and laughing. If this is not disrespectful to a player, I do not know what is.

zak425
01-18-2011, 02:45 PM
He did not attribute those things to Paul though. He stated that he was trying to make those changes. In the last 6 months when someone has tried to give Paul the credit for changes in Federer's game, Federer has been quick to give Luthi credit as well and not put it all on Annacone. And I think that is out of respect for Luthi and the lack of respect Luthi gets from the press and commentators.

Actually he did. The question was asked "what kinds of thing has Annacone helped you with?" and Federer talked about the more aggressive returns and becoming more aggressive in rallies.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lQ9dNjczrqI

Scientist
01-18-2011, 03:06 PM
The only reason I dont turn the channel when I see Chris Fowler is because I want to witness the day someone snaps and beats the living ***** out of him.

Fowler is a first class moron and ever since he has come into tennis commentary he perpetually makes a fool of himself with stupid comments. Now days he has just become flat out rude and obnoxious interupting others trying to force his opinions and goad a conflict out of people.

agreed 10ch

Scientist
01-18-2011, 03:10 PM
deleted...

dh003i
01-18-2011, 03:28 PM

I don't think it is petty. It is wrong of Fowler to blatantly make something up out of thin air.

Emet74
01-18-2011, 03:59 PM
Not that there was any doubt, but Fowler basically admitted on twitter that he made it up:

"Fed wouldn't exactly admit it. but a big part of Roger hiring Paul was to bring new ideas vs Rafa. believe it. see London final?"

http://twitter.com/cbfowler

mental midget
01-18-2011, 05:30 PM
fowler got caught up in a fool's game-trying to get nadal to say something interesting.

Sid_Vicious
01-18-2011, 05:33 PM
Fowler is a clown who does not know anything about tennis. He ask million of questions to the others while we try to watch tennis....never stop yaking and laughing, mostly to his own jokes or laughing about tennis players. The worst thing he did was a few years ago, while Nalbandian was changing shirt, they were talking about his weight and laughing, when he said to the others, look, look, how he is fat and laughing. If this is not disrespectful to a player, I do not know what is.
Actually BG was the one who made the biggest deal about it. I don't blame.... Nalbandian was grossly overweight for a top tennis player.

ruerooo
01-18-2011, 05:35 PM

Good eye on that one.

Rafa is hilarious, I love how he says it would be great to face Roger in the final, because it would mean he made it to the final.

Rafa is a great smoothie with the media. I'm sure growing up in a sports family of national prominence helped. He's always charming but firm when deflecting a question.

samurai13
01-18-2011, 05:44 PM

fowler has a point... annacone is there to get federer to be more aggressive and take rafa's game away from him... which will never work seeing that federer is a noob and nadal is GOAT but ehhh it's a nice try

Sid_Vicious
01-18-2011, 05:50 PM
fowler has a point... annacone is there to get federer to be more aggressive and take rafa's game away from him... which will never work seeing that federer is a noob and nadal is GOAT but ehhh it's a nice try

http://images2.memegenerator.net/ImageMacro/2944977/hatred-originating-from-disreputable-gentlemen-is-going-to-continually-persist.jpg?imageSize=Medium&generatorName=Joseph-Ducreux

monique s
01-18-2011, 05:58 PM
Actually BG was the one who made the biggest deal about it. I don't blame.... Nalbandian was grossly overweight for a top tennis player.

Even if Nalby is overweight, they are not paid to laugh at the players. And Fowler is the one who was saying, look, look.This is just before Nalby stopped playing because injured.

cc0509
01-18-2011, 06:11 PM

A lot of the commentators are awful. Brad Gilbert is worse imo.

Scientist
01-18-2011, 06:14 PM
The worst thing is it's obvious Fowler has a rudimentary knowledge of tennis at best, but he talks like he's a seasoned veteran for some reason. It's the same with Dick Enberg and guys who "branch out" into other sports they have no business being in. They're 99% terrible.

Like others have noted he also likes to go on these awkward tangents--talking about a player's body for instance--and makes smug generalizations along with poor word choices. Weird and annoying at the same time.

cc0509
01-18-2011, 06:16 PM

It probably is the reason Annacone was hired but it is still a stupid question to ask Nadal! What is he going to say? You think he is going to answer truthfully? It is a very stupid question!

monique s
01-18-2011, 07:42 PM
Fowler is stupid, so that's all he can ask, stupid questions. He likes controversy.

zak425
01-18-2011, 08:27 PM
The worst thing is it's obvious Fowler has a rudimentary knowledge of tennis at best, but he talks like he's a seasoned veteran for some reason. It's the same with Dick Enberg and guys who "branch out" into other sports they have no business being in. They're 99% terrible.

Like others have noted he also likes to go on these awkward tangents--talking about a player's body for instance--and makes smug generalizations along with poor word choices. Weird and annoying at the same time.

I think he's been doing commentary for at least 3 years. He's alright with me, some guys like to add some flavor to their commentary. Despite what people think they are talking and addressing to the tennis layman not the *****

Spin Doctor
01-18-2011, 09:05 PM
Not that there was any doubt, but Fowler basically admitted on twitter that he made it up:

"Fed wouldn't exactly admit it. but a big part of Roger hiring Paul was to bring new ideas vs Rafa. believe it. see London final?"

http://twitter.com/cbfowler

I saw that interview and Fowler definitely made it sound like Roger admitted that he hired Annacone to beat Rafa. He should be taken to task for this. Its a total distortion. That whole interview with Rafa was uncomfortable to watch, Folwer was like giddly schoolgirl *******.

And I actually don't mind Fowler normally. He oftentimes raises questions that are interesting discussion points and I think this comes from his POV as a tennis outsider. So I don't mind so much that he doesn't come from the tennis world.

aaziz
01-18-2011, 09:50 PM
When clowns like Fowler or Wilander are commentating tennis matches or hosting an 'expert' TV show there should be a highly noticable warning mark on the screen so that sane tennis fans could avoid unnecessary brain damage.

lol.............