PDA

View Full Version : Philipp Petzschner

Strateon
01-18-2011, 12:22 AM
Amazing dude. Saw his match against rafa at wimbledon and was really impressed. Thought it was some journeyman playing out of his mind on that day though.

He's playing against Tsonga now and boy has he changed my mind. Blistering forehands, great 1st serve, amazing slice backhands with remarkable skill at net to boot. Definitely will not be missing any of his matches in the future.

What do you guys think??

okdude1992
01-18-2011, 12:48 AM
if he had a backhand, he could probably be top 10

tacou
01-18-2011, 02:27 AM
so strong mentally too

Strateon
01-18-2011, 03:51 AM
I think it was more physical than mental. After the brilliant tennis displayed earlier he became sluggish towards later parts, allowing tsonga to get to his backhand.

However, I still feel that he has game, big enough to beat anybody.

Mortifier
01-18-2011, 04:16 AM
so strong mentally too

+1

10 strong brains

LameTennisPlayer
01-18-2011, 04:31 AM
I saw the Petschner and Tsonga match at margaret court, petzner was incredible the first two sets, amazing defensive player. His slice is 1st class!

CityTennis22
01-18-2011, 05:10 AM
Tsonga is so steady though. Petzschner can get the backhand going then he has a chance to really shoot up. This match would be different. That's for sure.

LameTennisPlayer
01-18-2011, 05:18 AM
Tsonga is so steady though. Petzschner can get the backhand going then he has a chance to really shoot up. This match would be different. That's for sure.

The match was finished 3 hours ago.

Strateon
01-18-2011, 05:59 AM
Well he's definitely one of the few players nowadays who can actually use the slice backhand as a weapon.

Tsonga later won lots of points by approaching against PP's backhand though. I think if not for his level of fitness, Philipp wouldn't have let him exploit that strategy. In the first two sets he was all over the place pounding forehands. Later on it was apparent that he lost a lot of power and consistency on that shot and I would attribute it to fatigue. Similar story to the Nadal wimby match.

Messarger
01-18-2011, 06:03 AM
Why is his slice so good? Is it his technique that is different from the rest?

bluetrain4
01-18-2011, 06:57 AM
I thought this was a potential upset, and I was almost right. Petzchner can give a lot of players trouble.

Strateon
01-18-2011, 07:01 AM

It seems like he really steps through the shot, transferring a lot of his body weight into it with a "caricoca step"? Its flattish, not as much underspin as other player's slices.

I remember reading somewhere on the forum about the GERMAN SLICE? Well PP is German and he sure has it!!

The-Champ
01-18-2011, 11:02 AM
Is Philipp jewish?

tacou
01-18-2011, 11:30 AM
Well he's definitely one of the few players nowadays who can actually use the slice backhand as a weapon.

Tsonga later won lots of points by approaching against PP's backhand though. I think if not for his level of fitness, Philipp wouldn't have let him exploit that strategy. In the first two sets he was all over the place pounding forehands. Later on it was apparent that he lost a lot of power and consistency on that shot and I would attribute it to fatigue. Similar story to the Nadal wimby match.

If you cannot go 5 sets in a first round match, and not particularly grueling 5 sets or conditions, that is pretty weak..

IvanAndreevich
01-18-2011, 11:48 AM
Is Philipp jewish?

Looks as German to me as they get. But then again, what difference does it make?

The-Champ
01-18-2011, 04:52 PM
Looks as German to me as they get. But then again, what difference does it make?

He might be an ashkenazi jew. His nose suggests traces of semitic elements.

The difference is that, if ever Germany denies him a spot in the DC-team, he could always apply for citizenship in Israel and play for their team.

LameTennisPlayer
01-18-2011, 05:07 PM

It's extremely consistent and they land deep into the court. Imo the best slice backhands will have to be Fed and Rafter, he is on par with them.

Scientist
01-18-2011, 05:18 PM
He might be an ashkenazi jew. His nose suggests traces of semitic elements.

The difference is that, if ever Germany denies him a spot in the DC-team, he could always apply for citizenship in Israel and play for their team.

Where do you get off making flip comments like this?

The-Champ
01-18-2011, 05:32 PM
Where do you get off making flip comments like this?

His nose is too imposing for a clear-cut germanic trait. Anyway he is a very good player and if he doesn't make it in the German DC-team, if he is indeed a jew, then there is always Israel.

kishnabe
01-18-2011, 06:15 PM
Well...he should have won the way he was playing but all credit to his opponent. If he won agianst Nadal....Berdych-Murray Final :shock: