PDA

View Full Version : "Tomic will be top 5 within 2 years" - Brad Gilbert

Seany
01-18-2011, 02:23 AM
I haven't seen much of this kid, but is he that good? Or is Gilbert talking rubbish.

Xemi666
01-18-2011, 02:29 AM
He's one of the hyped up prospects, probably Gillbert is just jumping on the bandwagon. I don't think he's that impressive, I think Berankis will go further.

dandelion_smiley
01-18-2011, 02:31 AM
He's one of the hyped up prospects, probably Gillbert is just jumping on the bandwagon. I don't think he's that impressive, I think Berankis will go further.

Berankis could be really something

bezs
01-18-2011, 02:33 AM
Let's see Gilbert put his money where his mouth is first

Underhand
01-18-2011, 02:38 AM
Ajde Tomić!!!

vive le beau jeu !
01-18-2011, 02:42 AM
I haven't seen much of this kid, but is he that good? Or is Gilbert talking rubbish.
once again, let's hope gilbert will be proved wrong.

kOaMaster
01-18-2011, 03:20 AM
within two years?
he'd need to gather ~5000 points in 2012. even if he would be REALLY good, I can't see it happening.

he is 19 and is barely in the top200 (?).
couldn't tell any player that made his way to the top5 that fast at the age of 18.

it even took nadal 2.5 years to get to the top5 from the first time he was in the best 200.

Li Ching Yuen
01-18-2011, 04:31 AM
Maybe 2 years is a bit soon for Top5 but yeah he'll get there.

He murders ******** ballbashers which the tour is full of right now.

He can develop some weapons in his serve and forehand as well, and also the movement will get much better.

Sid_Vicious
01-18-2011, 04:34 AM
Lol. BG should lay of the predictions. Didnt he learn about Sam Querrey's epic fitness yesterday?

AndyArodRoddick
01-18-2011, 06:25 AM
Berankis is too short to be elite player. He cant get much more dangerous than he is right now because of his hight IMO.

Tomic=Berankis=Dimitrov. They are both equal talents to me.

John_Doe
01-18-2011, 06:30 AM
Maybe 2 years is a bit soon for Top5 but yeah he'll get there.

He murders ******** ballbashers which the tour is full of right now.

He can develop some weapons in his serve and forehand as well, and also the movement will get much better.

Your signature is priceless.

Bud
01-18-2011, 06:34 AM

I chuckled when he stated that. We shall see :)

dlk
01-18-2011, 06:37 AM
Berankis is too short to be elite player. He cant get much more dangerous than he is right now because of his hight IMO.

But will he take advantage of that epic match?

Gustavo Kuerten
01-18-2011, 06:38 AM
http://ivantricarico.files.wordpress.com/2008/07/r219381_859958.jpg

I really hate him.

Legend of Borg
01-18-2011, 07:39 AM
Dimitrov and Berankis have more potential.

BG is just getting on the bandwagon.

I hoped after that botched Querrey prediction he would say something worthwhile.

Same old tricks from the ESPN clown trio.

NadalAgassi
01-18-2011, 07:41 AM
Tomic, Dimitrov, and Berankis all have potential. Hopefully one of them will amount to something since the ATP tour badly needs a real up and comer.

Hopefully Cilic will still make something more of himself, and Del Potro can come back strong too.

There is a major dearth of young talent in the ATP. The fact anyone even still cares about or talks about Donald Young says it all.

slice bh compliment
01-18-2011, 07:44 AM

I really hate him.

Guga, why do you hate him?

Is it the unnecessary Guga-esque headband?
The preposterous sleeveless?
The tire tracks running down his shirt?
The cheesy racquet?
The expression?

Gustavo Kuerten
01-18-2011, 08:01 AM
Mainly his face, headband and the fact he is wearing a sleaveless shirt while being a skinny punk.

nadal_slam_king
01-18-2011, 08:10 AM
I hope we get to play him in the 3rd round, his backhand slice is very entertaining.

Lsmkenpo
01-18-2011, 08:13 AM
No chance, to be a top 5 player he would be required to play many prime time night matches, by his own admission he is too young to play past 11pm.

monique s
01-18-2011, 08:19 AM
Brad Gilbert...what does he know ? For how many years now, has he been saying that Murray will win a Major ? BG jinxs players, his predictions are so stupid. He is a loud mouth who thinks because he coached players, he knows everything.

cknobman
01-18-2011, 10:40 AM
Mainly his face, headband and the fact he is wearing a sleaveless shirt while being a skinny punk.

Yeah some people just have that kind of face that makes you want to slap/punch it.

Tomic happens to be one of those people.:twisted:

meg0529
01-18-2011, 10:45 AM
I don't think so, but I really really hope not.

kOaMaster
01-18-2011, 11:53 AM

ahw you're being mean! :twisted::)

Legend of Borg
01-18-2011, 11:55 AM

If he's the future of tennis, then perhaps I've watched enough already and it's time to let go of the sport.

A scary thought.

TBrady
01-18-2011, 11:59 AM
I agree LOB. He makes me want to sell all of my equipment and take up golf.

What a lazy lame game he plays (Tomic). He makes Murray seem like Paul Annacone back in the day.

kishnabe
01-18-2011, 12:03 PM
Gilbert loves to himself on the court or any form that is equvilant!

SoCal10s
01-18-2011, 12:23 PM
sounds like a D.Young hype ,but from down under ...

pjonesy
01-18-2011, 12:39 PM
Tomic, Dimitrov, and Berankis all have potential. Hopefully one of them will amount to something since the ATP tour badly needs a real up and comer.

Hopefully Cilic will still make something more of himself, and Del Potro can come back strong too.

There is a major dearth of young talent in the ATP. The fact anyone even still cares about or talks about Donald Young says it all.

They could all take a gander at Oudin, to learn how to compete. Of course, she has been playing like crap for the last year. Maybe she isn't a good example after all.

I think Cilic is in good shape. He could very well maximize his potential in the next 2 or 3 years. Del Potro is fine as well. Nothing but upside for him. Hell, he's already got a US Open title by taking out Federer. If he takes out Nadal in a final, he would be a god before he is 25.

Wow. Donald Young.

TheOneHander
01-18-2011, 12:40 PM
Delete post.

bolo
01-18-2011, 12:41 PM
Not very likely.

jkang909
01-18-2011, 12:41 PM
i think tomic will be extremely successful when he is in the mid 20s... he may not be the most powerful guy, but is consistency and accuracy is better than his age. once his size builds up, and gains a few more pounds, hell be similar to djokovic or murray (depending on how he wants to play)

while on the other hand, we have ryan harrison. i think hell be just as successful as tomic because he plays like his life is on the line. hes a powerful, strong and tall serve and volleyer who has potential of becoming one of the best in the future

lonux
01-18-2011, 01:02 PM
No way! Top 5? Lol! Berankis, Cilic, Dimitrov are all better players than him and even then they wouldn't reach the top 5.

Proset
01-18-2011, 01:31 PM
Maybe top 50. Top 5 is highly unlikely.

eleventeenth street
01-18-2011, 01:54 PM
tomic seems to have a really bad attitude, and apparently his dad is a bit of a madman. from what i remember of his match with cilic last year, he kinda plays like murray, except without the speed, or the hands. really ugly service motion as well. has he fixed that?

meg0529
01-18-2011, 01:59 PM
If he's the future of tennis, then perhaps I've watched enough already and it's time to let go of the sport.

A scary thought.

I agree LOB. He makes me want to sell all of my equipment and take up golf.

What a lazy lame game he plays (Tomic). He makes Murray seem like Paul Annacone back in the day.

LOLLL

10 agrees.

meg0529
01-18-2011, 02:01 PM
ahw you're being mean! :twisted::)

Noo being mean would me saying that I hope he loses to Feli so I won't be forced to watch him play Rafa! Fortunately, I'm hoping for that too. :D :twisted:

morten
01-18-2011, 02:30 PM

ha ha love it :) Mainly his face... LOL and i think i agree

Cesc Fabregas
01-18-2011, 02:33 PM
He's a nothing player, a pusher, counterpuncher, junkballer etc but is not very quick. He has too develop some weapons or he'll be lucky to get top 50.

jamesblakefan#1
01-18-2011, 02:34 PM
Well Del Potro was pretty mediocre before he made his breakthrough summer of 2008. But DelPo also developed his game quite much, notably his serve, during that time. It's not impossible, there's certainly not a lot of young players coming up, if Tomic can get his head together who knows.

icazares
01-18-2011, 02:40 PM
hahaha. Top 5??? 3 of those spots are already reservated (Nadal, Murray and Djoko). If DelPo gets back to his champion form that takes care of the fourth spot. So in a way he's saying that Tomic will beat the rest, without any proof that he can accomplish something of that nature.

chrischris
01-18-2011, 02:59 PM
Brad Gilbert...what does he know ? For how many years now, has he been saying that Murray will win a Major ? BG jinxs players, his predictions are so stupid. He is a loud mouth who thinks because he coached players, he knows everything.

Id say he knows quite a bit. He does like to talk though.

SuperDuy
01-18-2011, 03:17 PM
I think gilbert is good announcer, dont mind any o'em espn people now that Cowrillo is gone.

Legend of Borg
01-18-2011, 03:22 PM
Noo being mean would me saying that I hope he loses to Feli so I won't be forced to watch him play Rafa! Fortunately, I'm hoping for that too. :D :twisted:

Oh no.

Let him win against Feli so we can see Rafa have his way.

I'm going to relish that potential match.

I just hope Tomic can get there first.

meg0529
01-18-2011, 03:35 PM
Article from 2 years ago

Australia's teenage sensation Bernard Tomic announced that he will move abroad, either to the US or London, in the next three months, so he can continue developing his game as he begins his life as a professional tennis player.

After gaining a wildcard entry and making it to the Australian Open second round, Tomic believes he's ready to take on the men.
"Now that I'm becoming more of a name in Australia, I've got to take the opportunity to build my game and work hard and take it to the next level," Tomic said.

"My parents are looking at moving to either England or America in the next three or four months."

"Then I have to work on my game and get a lot more opportunities."

"I can't stay on the Gold Coast forever."

http://www.zimbio.com/Bernard+Tomic/articles/6/Bernard+Tomic+choose+London+over+Australia

Looks like moving didn't work out too well :(

:twisted:

Markov
01-18-2011, 03:42 PM
So if none of these top guys from this "born in the early 90s" age group have enough talent to reach the top 5, then will there even be a top 5 during the late 2010s and early 2020s? Or are the current top players still going to dominate?

AM95
01-18-2011, 03:45 PM
no way in hell. lucky to be in top 20. hes ranked barely in the top 200 right now.

Bartelby
01-18-2011, 04:00 PM
If he had an Uncle Toni he might go somewhere, but he only has an Uncle Fester.

HackersRUs
01-18-2011, 06:42 PM
hmm, I have to say I never imagined my first post on this forum would be in defense of Bernard bloody Tomic, but I have a couple of thoughts...

Firstly, whoever above called him a 'junkballer and a pusher etc etc' seems to me to be missing the point. tomic varies his pace. Ok, I'll say that again, 'cos I realise this is a largely alien concept here in ******* land, Tomic varies his pace
Which brings me to my second thought, widdle Bernie is different, very different. He simply doesn't play like the rest of the tour, and it remains to be seen if this turns out to be a good or a bad thing.

Doesn't mean I like the whiny little twat, but still...

Also, as someone pointed out, he's barely turned 19...

HackersRUs
01-18-2011, 06:55 PM
hmm, actually, he only just turned 18, making him ranked (I think, and correct me If I'm wrong) the number 2 ranked 18 year old on the tour behind Dimitrov.

meg0529
01-18-2011, 07:52 PM
It would be hilarious if this thread is resurrected by Tomictards a few years from now, when he's GOATing.

rfm29
01-18-2011, 09:03 PM
It would be hilarious if this thread is resurrected by Tomictards a few years from now, when he's GOATing.

I never really thought I would agree with you 100% on anything but.....You have just made my week, maybe even my year.

Ambivalent
01-18-2011, 09:07 PM
Tomic is like a poor man's Murray. Great returns, not much on the serve, and poor shotmaking. He'd be lucky to get into the top 10.

Legend of Borg
01-18-2011, 09:09 PM

Even if it happens, I'll be Talk Tennis Guru by then.

Assistant Mod, maybe.

I control teh forumz.

ronalditop
01-18-2011, 09:10 PM
Watching him play makes me wanna punch him.

bolo
01-19-2011, 11:05 AM
Rasheed on tomic,

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/australian-open-2011/bernard-tomics-game-is-is-junk-tennis-roger-rasheed-says/story-fn77kxzt-1225991333126

killer
01-19-2011, 11:27 AM
From what I've gathered recently, Tomic's biggest problem is his attitude. If he gets humble and puts in the 'hard yards,' as Lleyton Hewitt once put it, he's got the potential to make top 20. If he doesn't get rid of the arrogance, he'll be relegated to 100-150 perenially.

BLACKOUT
01-19-2011, 12:20 PM
Tomic is tall, crafty, looks to be hitting the ball bigger, he definitely has ability, I'd say top 20 at least, Dimitrov and Berankis can just hit bigger than him consistently and they have good tennis IQ as well

slice bh compliment
01-19-2011, 12:53 PM
I don't want to sound like a cynical old guy who longs for his younger days, buuut...

if tennis turns into Monfils and Tomic from top to bottom, I'm officially falling out of love with the pro game.

I just don't see the appeal.

I'm just going to have to hold on to the current Rafa/Roger hegemony and cherish the memories of the days when tennis was aesthetically pleasing. I'm talking about Laver, Ashe, Nastase, Newk, Nastase, Borg, Mac, Noah, Becker, Cashy, Edberg, Pete, Stich, Rafter and Guga.

-cynical old guy, rooting for Dimitrov and Berankis to beat up on Tomic.

HackersRUs
01-19-2011, 03:53 PM
so why is the 'cynical old guy' dead set against Tomic?

Monfils, Ok. Ball bashing mental midgets ahoy, but Tomic?

The arrogant littel twerp plays some quite old school tennis.

And Michael Stich aeshetically pleasing tennis? You serious????

accidental
01-19-2011, 08:57 PM
Well the ****-Dog just straight setted the 31st seed Feliciano Lopez.

Looks like he could be the real deal. Will be interesting to see his game up against Nadal tomorrow and see if he can avoid a massive beat down

skip1969
01-19-2011, 09:28 PM
brad gilbert, and predictions. square peg, meet round hole.

ruerooo
01-19-2011, 09:37 PM
I don't want to sound like a cynical old guy who longs for his younger days, buuut...

if tennis turns into Monfils and Tomic from top to bottom, I'm officially falling out of love with the pro game.

I'm just going to have to hold on to the current Rafa/Roger hegemony and cherish the memories of the days when tennis was aesthetically pleasing. I'm talking about Laver, Ashe, Nastase, Newk, Nastase, Borg, Mac, Noah, Becker, Cashy, Edberg, Pete, Stich, Rafter and Guga.

Gugaaaaaa

*sobs*

Wilander Fan
01-19-2011, 10:21 PM

I really hate him.

Duran Duran called and want you to join the band.

ttwarrior1
01-19-2011, 11:20 PM
watched this guy tonight, already my 2nd fav behind fed. Plays like me except he is good

Xemi666
01-20-2011, 01:27 AM
Berankis destroyed Nalbandian, told you this guy will be the real deal.

morten
01-20-2011, 01:29 AM

same her.. well said

newmark401
01-20-2011, 01:31 AM
From the "Brisbane Times":

I can bring down Nadal, says Tomic

Dream believer Bernard Tomic insists he can upstage history-chasing top seed Rafael Nadal in their third-round Australian Open blockbuster on Saturday night.

No Australian man in almost a decade has conquered a world No.1, but Tomic believes anything is possible after upsetting Spanish 31st seed Feliciano Lopez 7-6 (7-4) 7-6 (7-3) 6-3 on Thursday to reach the last 32 of a grand slam event for the first time.

"I'm hitting the ball great, my confidence is up there, especially after two matches, I played a left-hander before I played him, that's always good," Tomic said.

Advertisement: Story continues below "There's not much weaknesses (in his game but) I don't think he'll like my game.

"He'll like the players that give him a lot of time, a lot of rally shots. The way I mix it up, he's not going to like."

Not since Mark Philippoussis shot down Andre Agassi in the fourth round at Wimbledon en route to the 2003 final at the All England Club has an Australian brought down the men's world No.1.

But while Philippoussis was already a grand slam finalist and accomplished grasscourt exponent, Tomic will enter his clash with Nadal as an 18-year-old wildcard ranked 198 places behind the reigning French Open, Wimbledon and US Open champion.

Nadal has won his past 23 grand slam matches and is bidding to become the first man since Rod Laver in 1969 to hold all four major titles simultaneously.

Tomic, though, is undeterred and earnestly believes he can stop the Spanish juggernaut.

"Oh, I believe so," Tomic said.

"I mean, it's an opportunity that I get. He's the world No.1. I'll just have a go.

"When you step out against a player like that, you don't have nothing to lose.

"But I'm not going to go and win this match if I go out there and play not to lose. I've got to play to win."

Nadal will enter the marquee match-up a raging favourite but, carrying all the pressure, Nadal is nevertheless on guard.

"He's very young, he's playing well I think, he has a very very good future ... hopefully not for the next round," Nadal said after trouncing American qualifier Ryan Sweeting 6-2 6-1 6-1 in his second-round encounter.

Nadal said a prime-time showdown with Tomic on Rod Laver Arena would be a nice occasion and recalled his days as a teenager himself taking on dual grand slam winner Lleyton Hewitt in Melbourne.

"I remember when I was here when I was 16, 17, I played against Lleyton (twice and lost both times). If you win, it's unbelievable. If not, it's OK," he said.

Even if he loses against Nadal, Tomic is guaranteed a rankings rise of about 20 spots from his current career-high place just inside the world's top 200.

The teenager's landmark win over Lopez - a two-time Wimbledon quarter-finalist and Queen's Club victor over Nadal last year - more than made up for fellow Australian Alicia Molik's 6-4 6-1 second-round loss to women's 13th seed Nadia Petrova.

vive le beau jeu !
01-20-2011, 01:39 AM

... then please do it, kid !!! that would be cool. :)

Sid_Vicious
01-20-2011, 01:41 AM

Dream believer Bernard Tomic insists he can upstage history-chasing top seed Rafael Nadal in their third-round Australian Open blockbuster on Saturday night.

No Australian man in almost a decade has conquered a world No.1, but Tomic believes anything is possible after upsetting Spanish 31st seed Feliciano Lopez 7-6 (7-4) 7-6 (7-3) 6-3 on Thursday to reach the last 32 of a grand slam event for the first time.

"I'm hitting the ball great, my confidence is up there, especially after two matches, I played a left-hander before I played him, that's always good," Tomic said.

Advertisement: Story continues below "There's not much weaknesses (in his game but) I don't think he'll like my game.

"He'll like the players that give him a lot of time, a lot of rally shots. The way I mix it up, he's not going to like."

Not since Mark Philippoussis shot down Andre Agassi in the fourth round at Wimbledon en route to the 2003 final at the All England Club has an Australian brought down the men's world No.1.

But while Philippoussis was already a grand slam finalist and accomplished grasscourt exponent, Tomic will enter his clash with Nadal as an 18-year-old wildcard ranked 198 places behind the reigning French Open, Wimbledon and US Open champion.

Nadal has won his past 23 grand slam matches and is bidding to become the first man since Rod Laver in 1969 to hold all four major titles simultaneously.

Tomic, though, is undeterred and earnestly believes he can stop the Spanish juggernaut.

"Oh, I believe so," Tomic said.

"I mean, it's an opportunity that I get. He's the world No.1. I'll just have a go.

"When you step out against a player like that, you don't have nothing to lose.

"But I'm not going to go and win this match if I go out there and play not to lose. I've got to play to win."

Nadal will enter the marquee match-up a raging favourite but, carrying all the pressure, Nadal is nevertheless on guard.

"He's very young, he's playing well I think, he has a very very good future ... hopefully not for the next round," Nadal said after trouncing American qualifier Ryan Sweeting 6-2 6-1 6-1 in his second-round encounter.

Nadal said a prime-time showdown with Tomic on Rod Laver Arena would be a nice occasion and recalled his days as a teenager himself taking on dual grand slam winner Lleyton Hewitt in Melbourne.

"I remember when I was here when I was 16, 17, I played against Lleyton (twice and lost both times). If you win, it's unbelievable. If not, it's OK," he said.

Even if he loses against Nadal, Tomic is guaranteed a rankings rise of about 20 spots from his current career-high place just inside the world's top 200.

The teenager's landmark win over Lopez - a two-time Wimbledon quarter-finalist and Queen's Club victor over Nadal last year - more than made up for fellow Australian Alicia Molik's 6-4 6-1 second-round loss to women's 13th seed Nadia Petrova.
looks like a straight set drubbing is in order for Tomic. If the versatile "Swiss Maestro" has 14-8 record record against Nadal, I dont see what Tomic's variety will bring to the table.

Underhand
01-20-2011, 01:42 AM
Go Tomić, take El Toro by the horns!

Xemi666
01-20-2011, 01:43 AM
Looks like the victory against Feliciano has got to his head to me. He's going to find out that Nadal is a whole different animal :twisted:

Sid_Vicious
01-20-2011, 01:46 AM
Looks like the victory against Feliciano has got to his head to me. He's going to find out that Nadal is a whole different animal :twisted:
He isn't really cocky, IMO. He is just trying to be optimistic for the match. I just don't think that he has sufficient variety in his game, at least not enough to trouble Nadal.

kOaMaster
01-20-2011, 01:53 AM
I call this overconfident.

morten
01-20-2011, 02:12 AM
Lopez can play so bad sometimes.. I do not believe Tomic is so good

Techniques
01-20-2011, 02:38 AM
From my point of view Tomic should be pushing top 10 in the future. In the space of 1 year his movement has improved quite a bit and his groundies have gotten alot bigger. He's added 20kmph onto his serve in the space of 1 year- he's still got a bit of growing/filling out to do as well, once he gets a bit stronger he will be a beast. The kid is a smart player. His backhand slice would be one of the best on the tour already. He just needs to keep improving his movement, he's got all the shots already.

namelessone
01-20-2011, 02:48 AM
Well his attitude is great for a young player but let's see how he walks the walk when he is eating spin all day long.

I saw some highlights from his match with lopez and if he slices Nadal all day I don't see anything good for him.

Markov
01-20-2011, 03:39 AM
looks like a straight set drubbing is in order for Tomic. If the versatile "Swiss Maestro" has 14-8 record record against Nadal, I dont see what Tomic's variety will bring to the table.

A two-handed backhand.

5th Element
01-20-2011, 05:18 AM
Another rubbish prediction by Gilbert. You rarely get to No. 5 with no class...

Nadal will toy with him in the next round. It won't be pretty!

Underhand
01-20-2011, 05:23 AM

http://cowbell.typepad.com/.a/6a00d83423e30253ef0148c7ce85e1970c-500wi

dandelion_smiley
01-20-2011, 05:45 AM
even if hes overconfident its better to say "I believe I can win" instead of "well Ill just enjoy the moment and see what happens".

If he doesnt believe, might as well go home

namelessone
01-20-2011, 05:50 AM
even if hes overconfident its better to say "I believe I can win" instead of "well Ill just enjoy the moment and see what happens".

He is home, he's Australian :)

slice bh compliment
01-20-2011, 05:54 AM
Didn't think I could be sucked into not liking a player because of his 'look', buuuut... the glasses remind me of Hewitt's mother. That is not good on ya, not good on him...not good on anyone. To quote the great Paddy Rafter, ''sorrymate''.

One one hand, I love that he thinks he can beat Rafa.
On the other....I think he's making a career out of 'fake it 'til you make it'.

dandelion_smiley
01-20-2011, 06:00 AM
He is home, he's Australian :)

doesnt have to go far, then :)

cknobman
01-20-2011, 07:01 AM
At least we can give Tomic a little credit for taking down on of Rafa's patsy Spaniard compatriots who would have likely just bent over at the net for Rafa if they had made it to the next round.

Sure I have no faith that he stands a snowballs chance in h3ll of winning the match but its comforting to know hes going out there with the right attitude and will try his hardest.

Anything is better than Lopez or Verdasco going out there saying "Mi papa es el mejor de la historia usted puede ganar!!"

ksbh
01-20-2011, 07:53 AM
I posted this in the match thread but it's better suited here.

Don't think Tomic stands a chance against Rafa but refreshing attitude from him. We need more of Tomic kind of guys and less of Andy 'I don't mind losing 8 finals to Federer' Roddick kind of losers with such a poor attitude & self-belief!

For just bringing this kind of attitude, I hope Tomic wins a set or 2!

jamesblakefan#1
01-20-2011, 09:39 AM

Don't think Tomic stands a chance against Rafa but refreshing attitude from him. We need more of Tomic kind of guys and less of Andy 'I don't mind losing 8 finals to Federer' Roddick kind of losers with such a poor attitude & self-belief!

Yeah that Roddick, he's only been top 10 for 9 years, what a loser.

ksbh
01-20-2011, 09:44 AM
Someone with that attitude is a winner in your book? You have pretty low standards!

It explains why Roddick is a 1 slam wonder though. If you can't believe you can win, you'll never win. I'd rather pull for guys that have self-belief like Tomic than losers like Roddick.

Yeah that Roddick, he's only been top 10 for 9 years, what a loser.

ksbh
01-20-2011, 09:45 AM
Bruce38 ... you might be surprised to hear this but ... agreed X 100!

:)

sureshs
01-20-2011, 09:47 AM
Does Tomic have some technical issues with his serve? Seems hurried and awkward at times.

goober
01-20-2011, 09:47 AM
Someone with that attitude is a winner in your book? You have pretty low standards!

It explains why Roddick is a 1 slam wonder though. If you can't believe you can win, you'll never win. I'd rather pull for guys that have self-belief like Tomic than losers like Roddick.

So you pull for guys like Donald Young who believed he was going to win 8 grandslams and announced it in an interview? That's is self belief! :)

ksbh
01-20-2011, 09:51 AM
Yes, I'd rather that than pull for someone who declares to the world that he would like to lose 8 grand slam finals to one of his chief rivals!

It's exactly that kind of attitude that made me feel Andy Roddick deserved no respect when Federer pulled the 15 jacket after beating him in the Wimbledon 2009 final! That was a disgraceful act by giant nose but Roddick deserved no better!

So you pull for guys like Donald Young who believed he was going to win 8 grandslams and announced it in an interview? That's is self belief! :)

jack_kramer
01-20-2011, 09:54 AM
Easily the most ridiculous thing I've ever heard BG say. Tomic is a pusher and I'd wager his career high rank will be around 20-30.

meg0529
01-20-2011, 09:57 AM

If Tomic wins a set, or god forbid two, that won't look too good on Rafa. Even if Tomic pulls out his best performance to date, if Rafa is to win this tournament, at most they will have a close set. No offense to Tomic.

bolo
01-20-2011, 09:59 AM
Dandelion is bruce38?

If i had to guess I would have guessed eternally_damned. :razz:

Too bad for him he couldn't keep the "philosophy" out of his kournocopia id.:lol:

TBrady
01-20-2011, 09:59 AM
I don't know Tomic suprised me yesterday against Lopez. It seems like he has an adaptive game similar to Simon. He does push, counterpunch and can inject pace for a winner when the time is right.

He is very quirky but who wasn't when they were 18 or now?

If he can take a set from Ralph I will be very suprised. But hell I hope he beats Ralph! Go Tomic!

goober
01-20-2011, 10:03 AM
Yes, I'd rather that than pull for someone who declares to the world that he would like to lose 8 grand slam finals to one of his chief rivals!

It's exactly that kind of attitude that made me feel Andy Roddick deserved no respect when Federer pulled the 15 jacket after beating him in the Wimbledon 2009 final! That was a disgraceful act by giant nose but Roddick deserved no better!

There is a difference between self belief and delusion. Just thought I throw that out there...

You seem to get very worked up over how certain pro athletes behave. It is as if is a personal affront to you or something.

ksbh
01-20-2011, 10:27 AM
If Tomic wins a set, or god forbid two, that won't look too good on Rafa. Even if Tomic pulls out his best performance to date, if Rafa is to win this tournament, at most they will have a close set. No offense to Tomic.

While what you are saying is true, if a player has no self-confidence, or as in the case of Roddick, is happy to tie the shoe laces of his opponent, he should just stay the hell home. Why waste the time of other people who actually pay money to come see the matches? As Goober is saying, and perhaps rightly so, maybe Tomic is being delusional but I'd rather that attitude than Andy Roddick's!

Dandelion is bruce38?

If i had to guess I would have guessed eternally_damned.

Too bad for him he couldn't keep the "philosophy" out of his kournocopia id.:lol:

Bruce38 wasn't too bright at all, unfortunately, and Dandelion is showing all of the same characteristics! :)

You seem to get very worked up over how certain pro athletes behave. It is as if is a personal affront to you or something.

ROFL Goober! Good observation! :)

FD3S
01-20-2011, 12:08 PM

That may be what Roddick says, but I highly doubt he actually believes that. If he did, there would be no point in trying against Fed, which Roddick always does - usually to no avail, but still.

He still tries and works his *** off against Fed, and implying he doesn't because of one soundbite seems disrespectful to the guy. In his case, actions speak louder than words, and even though he comes up short most of the time I've never seen Roddick not go down swinging against Federer, no matter what he says before or after.

pabletion
01-20-2011, 12:11 PM
I dont know if its been mentioned before, but Moya apparently tweeted somethin like: "watch out for Tomic, potential GS winner in the near future".

Have never seen Tomic play, hopefully he's gonna showcase his stuff and 'potential' against RafaYel.....

btw, why in hell cant announcers say Rafa-el??? Everytime, its RafaYell!

Cesc Fabregas
01-20-2011, 12:17 PM
Remember guys when you're watching the Nadal v Tomic match that Nadal doesn't like Tomic's game style. :)

meg0529
01-20-2011, 01:53 PM
While what you are saying is true, if a player has no self-confidence, or as in the case of Roddick, is happy to tie the shoe laces of his opponent, he should just stay the hell home. Why waste the time of other people who actually pay money to come see the matches? As Goober is saying, and perhaps rightly so, maybe Tomic is being delusional but I'd rather that attitude than Andy Roddick's!

But what does confidence have anything to do with actually taking set or two off of Rafa? Like I said, it's good that he's confident, he's going in with the right attitude, but it doesn't mean that it will translate to him taking the match to four or five sets.

HackersRUs
01-20-2011, 05:15 PM
Thing is, Rod Laver might as well be clay, to all intents and purposes. It.Really.Is.That.Slow.

Which is fine, of course, and in no way a 'bad thing', but it sure helps if your names Rafael!

As for Tomic, nah, not this year, but I think I'm turning into a TomicTard all the same...

Bryan Swartz
01-20-2011, 05:22 PM
It explains why Roddick is a 1 slam wonder though. If you can't believe you can win, you'll never win.

When did Roddick say he doesn't believe he can win against Federer?

Before the 09 Wimby final:

Q: If you play your best tennis, is that enough to beat Federer?

A(Roddick): Yeah, I think so.

YodaKnowsBest
01-20-2011, 06:59 PM
I hate Tomic and I'm proud of it.

Sentinel
01-21-2011, 07:18 AM
I am actually afraid Rafa might fall asleep playing Tomitch. :)

^^ Nice impersonation, Yoda. Nice to see you back.

origmarm
01-21-2011, 07:29 AM
Tomic =
@Best 'Monfils'
@Probably 'Gasquet'
@Not unlikely 'D Young'

Xemi666
01-21-2011, 07:59 AM
Thing is, Rod Laver might as well be clay, to all intents and purposes. It.Really.Is.That.Slow.

Which is fine, of course, and in no way a 'bad thing', but it sure helps if your names Rafael!

As for Tomic, nah, not this year, but I think I'm turning into a TomicTard all the same...

Damn, only 3rd round and the haters are already crying? They must be really worried about the possibility of a Rafa Slam :twisted:

Sentinel
01-21-2011, 08:05 AM
Looks like Sam Stosur has lost weight, eh ?

TheNatural
01-21-2011, 08:32 AM
Does anyone else think that Tomic's slap forehand technique means his forehand will always be a vulnerability. Everything else has scope for improvement. Then again if he grows a few more inches and develops a huge serve maybe he can get away with the slap forehand a bit.

Gustavo Kuerten
01-21-2011, 08:52 AM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/03OLdbsaOd2Sc/x610.jpg

Feels good to know I have a new Aussie to hate when Hewitt retires.

The-Champ
01-21-2011, 08:57 AM
^^ The whole Croatia will be supporting him.

slice bh compliment
01-21-2011, 09:03 AM

Question for you experts:

Were those glasses a gift from Lleyton Hewitt's mother?
Or has Nike enlisted Bernie to help with the lucrative Aussie [bogan/ocker/hick/WT/bridge and tunnel] demographic?

YodaKnowsBest
01-21-2011, 09:16 AM
Who does he think he is some kind of gangsta? Put something normal you're already embarrassing enough. I think another opponent will retire to prevent triple bagel.

rabidranger
01-21-2011, 10:18 AM
Man, BG has to see a lot of his own game in Tomic.

TJfederer16
01-21-2011, 10:31 AM
hmm heard he's a bit a tw@t according to the paper, don't like the look of him, looks like an arogant ponse to me, hope rafa destroys him and puts him in place.

patty_mnouchkine
01-21-2011, 10:34 AM
Guga, why do you hate him?

Is it the unnecessary Guga-esque headband?
The preposterous sleeveless?
The tire tracks running down his shirt?
The cheesy racquet?
The expression?

your quips are priceless

vandre
01-21-2011, 10:39 AM
Man, BG has to see a lot of his own game in Tomic.

ROFLMAO!!! well done!

but with all of this speculation and "ego stroking", i can't imagine how this young man could be a self-absorbed brat (if rumors are true).

if he is a self-absorbed brat, some of the blame has to be placed on bg and the other ppl who've been pumping this stuff into his ears over the years.

volleynets
01-21-2011, 04:08 PM
I hope we get to play him in the 3rd round, his backhand slice is very entertaining.

:confused::confused::confused: so you think you share Nadal's mind???:shock:

kishnabe
01-21-2011, 04:14 PM
Feels good to know I have a new Aussie to hate when Hewitt retires.

LOL this phrase is the best! At least Lyelton isn't bad as this guy!

World Beater
01-21-2011, 06:59 PM
Tomic hasnt filled out physically yet. let him grow into his body and he will be hitting a bigger ball very soon.

i remember watching murray around the same age, and he was very similar. Murray was of course a better mover and ultimately that will be the biggest question for tomic. He is a tall boy...

Tanya
01-21-2011, 07:00 PM
Weren't people saying similar things about Gulbis a few years ago?

Yeah...

nereis
01-21-2011, 11:47 PM
I actually enjoy watching Tomic play. You never really know what he's going to do next unlike mr. high topspin to the backhand. He's a player in the mold of McEnroe which is what I would like the next generation to be more like. Less ball bashing more cerebral play.

Azzurri
01-22-2011, 09:32 AM
I actually enjoy watching Tomic play. You never really know what he's going to do next unlike mr. high topspin to the backhand. He's a player in the mold of McEnroe which is what I would like the next generation to be more like. Less ball bashing more cerebral play.

Tomic and Mac couldn't be any more different. I kinda get what you mean, both have the high tennis IQ (we'll see if Tomic has it), but their respective games are so different that they "use" that high IQ very differently. mac was ALL about pressure and forcing his game. Tomic is nothing like this..their game, attitude and talent are just too different to say they are in the same "mold"...ok, maybe Tomic is smart like Mac (this is questionable), but brains are not meaning same mold.

Dilettante
01-22-2011, 09:56 AM
Weren't people saying similar things about Gulbis a few years ago?

Yeah...

You should re-read what people said about Gasquet.

rovex
01-22-2011, 10:08 AM
Guess what? wilander just said the same thing now.

Sid_Vicious
01-22-2011, 10:09 AM
Guess what? wilander just said the same thing now.
As the Wilander custom dictates, did he also trash on Federer as he mentioned this?

TheTruth
01-22-2011, 10:17 AM
I chuckled when he stated that. We shall see :)

He's got an interesting game, but it isn't so good that people won't get onto his style right away. I'd be surprised if he made a big splash on the tour.

TheTruth
01-22-2011, 10:31 AM

That's very true. I remember that. Never gets any press on this board, though.

aceX
01-22-2011, 10:32 AM
Whatever will be, will be.

TheTruth
01-22-2011, 10:38 AM
That may be what Roddick says, but I highly doubt he actually believes that. If he did, there would be no point in trying against Fed, which Roddick always does - usually to no avail, but still.

He still tries and works his *** off against Fed, and implying he doesn't because of one soundbite seems disrespectful to the guy. In his case, actions speak louder than words, and even though he comes up short most of the time I've never seen Roddick not go down swinging against Federer, no matter what he says before or after.

The same can be said for Verdasco too. He tries to beat Rafa too.

TheTruth
01-22-2011, 10:40 AM
I dont know if its been mentioned before, but Moya apparently tweeted somethin like: "watch out for Tomic, potential GS winner in the near future".

Have never seen Tomic play, hopefully he's gonna showcase his stuff and 'potential' against RafaYel.....

btw, why in hell cant announcers say Rafa-el??? Everytime, its RafaYell!

Nobody is as bad as Cahill with that Raffer thing. He can just listen to the fans yelling out his name. There's no excuse for not getting players' names right after an extended time on tour.

jamesblakefan#1
01-22-2011, 11:29 AM

Funny since Roddick never said that, ever. :roll:

jamesblakefan#1
01-22-2011, 11:32 AM

Roddick never said that. It's that idiot ksbh talking out of his arse as usual.

spacediver
01-22-2011, 11:43 AM
watched the first set of tomic vs nadal last night. Was the first time I've seen him play, and I must say I was impressed. Not your typical ball basher - has potential for some scary good touch. Body language seemed to indicate a sense of humility and good mental fortitude.

aceX
01-22-2011, 11:59 AM
The Tomic-bomb impressed me. Nice serve, great angles on strokes, interesting tactical choices.

Bad_Knee
01-15-2013, 08:37 AM
Good one Brad

Polaris
01-15-2013, 08:44 AM

Gilbert is always talking rubbish, and even a broken clock is correct twice a day. But you give a person a mike, and that is what most commentators would do. Fill up air time with dramatic statements usually devoid of any insight.

[Just realized that this is a 2011 thread. Oh well. :)]

That said, I hope Tomic makes his mark this year. He is obviously very talented, so it may come down to physical fitness and his mental game.

vive le beau jeu !
01-15-2013, 09:08 AM
Funny since Roddick never said that, ever. :roll:

a long time since we didn't hear about the truest of all TTW members, aka TheTrout... will she come back in brasil too ? :)

Cup8489
01-15-2013, 09:18 AM
Epic bump is epic.

Warmaster
01-15-2013, 09:22 AM
#43 - close enough!

rainingaces
01-15-2013, 09:38 AM

I never really thought I would agree with you 100% on anything but.....You have just made my week, maybe even my year.

Looking back over this thread, this made me smile.

RogerRacket111
01-15-2013, 09:51 AM
Gilbert trying to suck up to get a coaching job like he did with Andy Murray :)

nadal_GOAT_king
01-15-2013, 09:53 AM
watched the first set of tomic vs nadal last night. Was the first time I've seen him play, and I must say I was impressed. Not your typical ball basher - has potential for some scary good touch. Body language seemed to indicate a sense of humility and good mental fortitude.

Sense of humility. Right.. bucketloads of it :lol:

nadal_GOAT_king
01-15-2013, 09:54 AM
Well, this came from someone who was outcoached by Mirka :lol:

Timbo's hopeless slice
01-15-2013, 02:46 PM

right...

The kid won't beat Fed (well, I don't think he will, who knows?), but some of these comments are hilarious, talk about clueless!

Speranza
01-15-2013, 02:54 PM
ATP update just released on Tomic:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=7123285&postcount=39

taken from:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=450976&page=2

Gonzalito17
01-15-2013, 03:17 PM
Brad Gilbert knows.

tennis_pro
01-15-2013, 03:25 PM
Sorry, can't see Tomic being ranked higher than the Federer, Djokovic, Murray, Ferrer, Berdych (replace it with Nadal if he comes back) quintet anytime in the nearest future.

smoledman
01-15-2013, 03:26 PM
ToMUG to go no higher then 15.

Sabratha
01-15-2013, 05:13 PM
In 2 years from now, Tomic will probably be a top 20 player, probably have stints in the top 10 but he won't be in the top 5. See: Gasquet.

West Coast Ace
01-15-2013, 05:48 PM
Gilbert trying to suck up to get a coaching job like he did with Andy Murray :)He's got a pretty sweet gig now. Flirt with Mary Joe and McHendry; mess with Fowler and PMac.

Do you really think he wants to have to deal with Daddy Tomic?

kishnabe
01-15-2013, 05:53 PM

I really hate him.

He looked damm small in 2011....

Sabratha
01-15-2013, 06:18 PM
He has changed a bit.

Relinquis
01-15-2013, 06:30 PM
selling ad space, that's all.

guys. it's australian open time, of course they're going to hype up the local boy, especially as the elite ATP aussies are either out of the tournament or retired.

during US Open we'll here about all of the americans who will be the future of tennis and will bring NBA / NFL style juicing, sorry, i mean athleticism, to the game. it's called media hype.

vive le beau jeu !
01-16-2013, 02:56 AM
he's already in the top3 of my most disliked active players.

atptennis
01-16-2013, 05:23 AM
Bold Predictions. We all know what happened to Martin Klizan after his first ATP tour title last year.

Cup8489
01-16-2013, 05:28 AM
He looked damm small in 2011....

2008, based on the frame pj and his clothing.

SLD76
01-16-2013, 05:35 AM
the most boring up and coming player

atptennis
01-16-2013, 05:50 AM
the most boring up and coming player

+1.

Disinterested.

Calor1
01-16-2013, 07:03 AM
he's already in the top3 of my most disliked active players.

Same here, along with Berdych

Relinquis
01-16-2013, 07:46 AM
i never understood the hate for Berdych, why is he so disliked by some people?

tomic is going to be fun to hate for a few years to come.

Steve0904
01-16-2013, 08:02 AM

tomic is going to be fun to hate for a few years to come.

I don't hate the guy, (I don't like him either) but he has a fair few bad instances under his belt. After he got hit by Almagro last year (legit play) he wouldn't shake his hand. Also there was an incident from Madrid in 2006, where he put his finger to his lips to shush the crowd after beating Nadal. Of course, that one was from 7 years ago, but he doesn't seem to have changed that much considering his comments about DC this year. I'm all for a bit of personality in a PC world these days, but Berdych whines a fair bit, and he can't back up some of the stuff he comes out with unless he's playing guys like Almagro. That's my 2 cents.

Marius_Hancu
01-16-2013, 08:57 AM
Let's see Gilbert put his money where his mouth is first

right, bet on it, Brad

volleyandfun
01-16-2013, 09:15 AM

I remember Gilbert was making fun of Djoker when few years before NOLE became top 5 player Nole said he can be as good as the tops at the time, I wish I had a video of that comment and shoved it to him right now

So, whatever Gilbert says, divide by 10

volleyandfun
01-16-2013, 09:20 AM
I don't hate the guy, (I don't like him either) but he has a fair few bad instances under his belt. After he got hit by Almagro last year (legit play) he wouldn't shake his hand. Also there was an incident from Madrid in 2006, where he put his finger to his lips to shush the crowd after beating Nadal. Of course, that one was from 7 years ago, but he doesn't seem to have changed that much considering his comments about DC this year. I'm all for a bit of personality in a PC world these days, but Berdych whines a fair bit, and he can't back up some of the stuff he comes out with unless he's playing guys like Almagro. That's my 2 cents.

Berdych has some behavioral issues

Relinquis
01-16-2013, 09:45 AM
i don't know about that. sure, berdych is a bit cocky but i wouldn't call that behavioural issues.

i don't understand the madrid incident though, were the crowd heckling him? i know nadal didn't the gesture.

volleyandfun
01-16-2013, 09:50 AM
i don't know about that. sure, berdych is a bit cocky but i wouldn't call that behavioural issues.

i don't understand the madrid incident though, were the crowd heckling him? i know nadal didn't the gesture.

Madrid is in Spain so everybody was cheering for Nadal, and I don't think they were heckling him, but for sure he got lot of jeers after that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPUFTajFu1g

Speranza
01-16-2013, 11:33 AM
Madrid is in Spain so everybody was cheering for Nadal, and I don't think they were heckling him, but for sure he got lot of jeers after that

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FPUFTajFu1g

Hmmm, I hadn't seen that before.

Good for Berdych. I'd have done the same if having to put up with such ludicrous fist pumps accompanied by the ubiquitous 'vamos' on each one. The crowd should expect to get as good as they gave.

ruerooo
01-16-2013, 12:03 PM

He's rude to people -- Roger, Rafa, Nico -- but never to their faces (which also makes him a little cowardly; he prefers to talk his trash at his pressers) and he's Mr. Sulky, a terribly sore loser.

Next question? :-)

Sid_Vicious
01-16-2013, 12:38 PM
He's rude to people -- Roger, Rafa, Nico -- but never to their faces (which also makes him a little cowardly; he prefers to talk his trash at his pressers) and he's Mr. Sulky, a terribly sore loser.

Next question? :-)

What did Berdych say about Federer? Berdych was always highly complimentary of Federer, but he eased up on the praise when Federer made those bitter comments in his press conference after Berdych beat him at Wimbledon. Even after that incident, I don't remember Berdych explicitly bashing Federer, or Nadal for that matter, in pressers?

He did make a big mess out of the Almagro incident.

Relinquis
01-16-2013, 01:01 PM
thanks for the Berdych vs. Nadal clip. It's poor form from Thomas for sure. Nadal even said "very bad" during the handshake and I agree.

I can't blame him too much for the Almagro incident to be honest. Ok, the shot is allowed, but i feel Almagro took the easy way out. Anyway, Berdych is a pretty guy, so i can understand that he is overly protective of his face. haha!

Did you guys catch his comments to comparisons of him and Rosol? At least the guy is honest and speaks his mind. http://youtu.be/NFUYdkIwyH0?t=10m10s

Anyway, back to tomic. Do you guys think he'll win his match today?

surfvland
01-16-2013, 01:03 PM
Berankis=baby Nalbandian =pure striker of the ball.. Now lets see if he can live up to that potential... As for Gilbert, I don't see him has the sharpest tool in the shed. So I don't give what he says much credence.
Tomic could be top 10 material. He's a natural. If he learns to fight in all situations.. I've have seen him have hissy fits, and go into self destruction mode many times. Can you imagine Tomic with Nadal's will?

surfvland
01-16-2013, 01:12 PM

Berankis can light up his serve to around 130MPH.

ultradr
01-16-2013, 02:19 PM

Try Youtube. There is definitely something special about the way Tomic hits the tennis ball. Definitely talented.

But sometimes wonder why he would hit the serve like the way he does with 6'5" frame.