PDA

View Full Version : Fed or Rafa fans: Do you hope that another player breaks through at the majors?

mcenroefan
01-18-2011, 06:52 AM
Fed is my favorite player in tennis history by a long margin but I am beginning to hope that a player other than Fed or Rafa will break through at this year's majors. I just think it's gotten almost boring.

Was just wondering whether any other Fed or Rafa fans have the same hope....maybe to spice up things a little? I think men's tennis needs it in a big way.

Too bad Delpo got injured b/c I think he may have been the one to do it. He certainly has the fire power to match up well against either Rafa or Fed.

Hitman
01-18-2011, 06:55 AM
I am proud Federer fan, and always will be. Artistically, he is the best I have seen

But, yes, I would like to see a new player emerge. Hopefully Murray can finally win one, it would really be great imho. I was thrilled with Del Potro, but he got injured last year, and could not defend his US Open title, so I really hope that he can come back stronger.

amaze
01-18-2011, 06:57 AM
Yep. I'd be ok with Federer never winning another slam IF only Nadal did the same.

Speranza
01-18-2011, 07:13 AM
Holmes: Yes, in answer to the question. Regardless that I'd like Roger to make 17 or more, I'd like it not to be a 2 horse race. Even if this means Roger doesn't score another major.

Totai
01-18-2011, 07:19 AM
I'd like to see Soderling take the French and Murray taking wimbledon

The-Champ
01-18-2011, 07:35 AM
YES!!!!!! It's time for Murray, the haggis-eating dude with an incredible bh to collect some majors.

mcenroefan
01-18-2011, 07:37 AM
I really like Del Potro. As classy as Fed and Rafa have been , I think DP is even more humble and gracious....he's hard not to like in that regard. I don't know that I love his game that much, other than the sheer brutality of it, but he is an easy guy for whom to cheer.

More than anything, I would like to see someone consistently start rising to the challenge when they play Fed or Rafa so that we can have some truly classic matches in GS finals. A little more parity and less snoozefests would be good for the viewers!

Underhand
01-18-2011, 07:38 AM
In Donald Young we trust.

Sartorius
01-18-2011, 07:40 AM
I actually don't see any meaning in the phrase "X would be better for tennis".

However I think a non-Fedal GS champion this year would be...let's not say "better"...but good for tennis.

joeri888
01-18-2011, 07:47 AM
I am a very fanatic Federer fan, and won't root against Federer. However, I also am a lover of this sport and I think the sports needs some new names. It seemed for a while it would be more open, but it never really was.. Now Federer and Nadal seem very dominant still. I think that's not good for tennis. I think it would be very nice to see some changes, but there's not many players I really like aestetically. That's a shame.

But yes, although I won't root against Federer, it wouldn't be bad to see a new name at the top.

TJfederer16
01-18-2011, 07:57 AM
no i don't, not until one of them retires. I would like maybe someone completely new like a dimitrov to break through that would be great, but im not bored in the slightest by roger and rafa's dominance at the slams, tennis is in very safe hands atm.

joeri888
01-18-2011, 08:06 AM
no i don't, not until one of them retires. I would like maybe someone completely new like a dimitrov to break through that would be great, but im not bored in the slightest by roger and rafa's dominance at the slams, tennis is in very safe hands atm.

I am not bored either, but it would be nice if someone reminded us once in a while how hard it is what Rog and Raf have done.

nadalbestclass
01-18-2011, 09:34 AM
Nope! Selfish maybe, but I want Rafa to take the AO and RG. After that it's up for grabs. I have a feeling if that happens, Fed will grab either Wimby or USO. Delpo looked very good yesterday, he could run away with the USO. Dunno. But for AO and RG, **** ftw!

nikdom
01-18-2011, 09:43 AM
1. Andy Murray
If he can bring a combination of offense and defense, I think it would be great to watch him win one.

2. JMDP
That forehand never gets tiring to watch.

caulcano
01-18-2011, 10:26 AM
Fed is my favorite player in tennis history by a long margin but I am beginning to hope that a player other than Fed or Rafa will break through at this year's majors. I just think it's gotten almost boring.

Was just wondering whether any other Fed or Rafa fans have the same hope....maybe to spice up things a little? I think men's tennis needs it in a big way.

Too bad Delpo got injured b/c I think he may have been the one to do it. He certainly has the fire power to match up well against either Rafa or Fed.

I agree in a few years time we won't have Fedal & then it's up for grabs. I can't see any of the current crop being as dominant, which I prefer. Here's hoping for a 18-20 year old to break through & dominate!!!

veroniquem
01-18-2011, 10:29 AM
I want a player to break through in the bottom part of the draw and Rafa to beat him in the final :)
Unfortunately, I think Cilic would be the most likely to have a breakthrough this year. Or Isner, Melzer, Dimitrov. Nishi is a guy to watch, maybe not for this tournament but later in the year.

kOaMaster
01-18-2011, 11:57 AM
honestly?
no. as long as nadal and federer are way beyond the rest I want them to be as succesful as possible and hope for many meetings. and since they can only meet in the final, I don't want anyone else to win.

well, the only exception would be murray beating nadal or wawrinka beating federer (both reaching the final). I'd be ok with seeing last years final again and I'd love wawrinka to be in a GS final or even win one :)

rovex
01-18-2011, 11:59 AM
honestly?
no. as long as nadal and federer are way beyond the rest I want them to be as succesful as possible and hope for many meetings. and since they can only meet in the final, I don't want anyone else to win.

well, the only exception would be murray beating nadal or wawrinka beating federer (both reaching the final). I'd be ok with seeing last years final again and I'd love wawrinka to be in a GS final or even win one :)

Wawrinka isn't a true Swiss. He dumped your tournament for Valencia :lol:

forzamilan90
01-18-2011, 01:25 PM
i'd love to see grigor dimitrov win a major

Legend of Borg
01-18-2011, 01:27 PM
I guess Fed's buddy is enough to take care of business.

It's a real shame since I expected him to at least take a set off him in that match.

"sigh" So disappointing. :(

CCNM
01-18-2011, 02:35 PM
Right now, a champion not named Federer or Nadal would be nice. I love the guys but it's time for a change. :)

Hood_Man
01-18-2011, 02:38 PM
I'd like to see Murray and Soderling (and Federer;))win Majors this year.

fps
01-18-2011, 02:39 PM
I just.... I feel more like an observer.... I'm interested to see what happens. Even though I'm more a Federer fan than Nadal, and don't like to see him lose tough matches, I still shrug and usually acknowledge that whoever deserves to win a tournament is almost always the one who actually wins it.

icazares
01-18-2011, 02:44 PM
I'd like to see DelPo back in the winner circle. Love his temper and gracious attitude.

dh003i
01-18-2011, 03:26 PM

Soderling, Del Potro.

wmoore
01-19-2011, 11:30 AM
Federer and......anyone besindes Nadal in the other half. I just don't think I could take it if my boy took another spankin' by that lefty.

meg0529
01-19-2011, 11:31 AM
No, sorry :( Rafa ftw! :)

Alchemy-Z
01-19-2011, 11:47 AM
I pull for the underdog

and if Fed Rafa plays I pull for Rafa (as the underdog) since he has a lot less grand slams.

I use to pull for FED 100% of the time but now its getting to the point of what else is their really for him to do but (extend records) I was with him thru 15 GS and now I am ready to see others win.

I was pulling for Sampras till he hit 13

and I guess for the most part I am pulling for Nadal to chase down Fed's record.

while I like a handful of other players too.

and hopefully one day if Nadal does catch up and beat rogers record we will have a new tennis star that will be in the chase for Nadals record.

I am all for the changing of the guard and for each Era to go bigger and better than the last.

heninfan99
01-19-2011, 12:02 PM
Even though I slightly prefer Federer's style of play I want Rafa to grab this.

8PAQ
01-19-2011, 01:08 PM
I want a player to break through in the bottom part of the draw and Rafa to beat him in the final :)
Unfortunately, I think Cilic would be the most likely to have a breakthrough this year. Or Isner, Melzer, Dimitrov. Nishi is a guy to watch, maybe not for this tournament but later in the year.

Wouldn't that be sweet? I would love to see Cilic vs Fed in the AO final. Even if Fed lost just the fact that Nadal didn't even make it to the quarterfinal would be good enough for me.

8PAQ
01-19-2011, 01:21 PM
I pull for the underdog

and if Fed Rafa plays I pull for Rafa (as the underdog) since he has a lot less grand slams.

I use to pull for FED 100% of the time but now its getting to the point of what else is their really for him to do but (extend records) I was with him thru 15 GS and now I am ready to see others win.

I was pulling for Sampras till he hit 13

and I guess for the most part I am pulling for Nadal to chase down Fed's record.

while I like a handful of other players too.

and hopefully one day if Nadal does catch up and beat rogers record we will have a new tennis star that will be in the chase for Nadals record.

I am all for the changing of the guard and for each Era to go bigger and better than the last.

I don't think you grasped the concept of an underdog. Nadal is currently a #1 player with 14-8 H2H over Fed and is in his prime years. Clearly not an underdog. Federer on the other hand is getting old (for example Sampras didn't win a single title in the same year of his career), lost to Nadal last time they played in AO final (2 years ago when Fed was closer to his prime) and is already playing 5 setters in 2nd round of this AO. Sounds like an underdog to me. So yeah, go Fed go!

For another example imagine in 2002 USO final if instead of playing his wife Andre, Sampras had to play #1 ranked Hewitt who already whooped his *** in 2001 final and was basically owning old man Sampras at that point. Would you call Hewitt an underdog?

P_Agony
01-19-2011, 02:41 PM
I think Roddick's long due for another slam, I think he really deserves it. Murray too, slam finals haven't been kind to him.

OrangePower
01-19-2011, 05:13 PM
I'm happy to see Fedal take all the majors, but if anyone else were to win, I would want it to be Sod or Murray. Simply because they are the only players other than Fedal to take win a Master's title since March last year (when Roddick won Miami). So they kind of deserve it more than anyone else outside of Fedal.

Despite being #3, Djokovic did not win any big titles last year at all (had a couple of 500 tournament wins but that's it). So I don't think he deserves a major over Sod/Murray.

dmt
01-19-2011, 07:37 PM
i want roddick to win but its not going to happen

So i guess i want Djokovic, Murray or Soderling to take it.

whoopinstick
01-19-2011, 08:38 PM
It would be really cool to see a year where four different people won a slam. It hasn't happened in a good long while though

Sentinel
01-19-2011, 08:43 PM
Thanks but no thanks.

Valdez737
01-19-2011, 09:21 PM
You want it to be more like the wta? No plz