PDA

View Full Version : Do's and don'ts at US Customs

pabletion
01-18-2011, 11:35 AM
Heyyyyy most knowledgable TW posters! Is it safe to pass sealed Parmiggiano Reggiano cheese through US customs, specially since its just a transit arrival from Spain?

I dream in Parmesan now... is there anything better? And a friend of mine coming from Spain is supposed to bring me a Parmesan cheese block the size of my head, but he's asking me if its allowed to pass through MIA. Anybody knows? Im pretty sure its allowed, specially if its air tight sealed... thanks!

http://www.igourmet.com/images/topics/parm1.jpg

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! :)

SuperFly
01-18-2011, 12:30 PM
Depends. If the customs people decide that it's too gel-like then they may confiscate it. If anything, just have your guy check it with the local airport.

ollinger
01-18-2011, 12:46 PM
Tell your friend to buy a block when he arrives. It's an aged product, for heaven's sake, so you get the same stuff here as anywhere else. Why bother to drag it with oneself on the trip?

JRstriker12
01-18-2011, 12:55 PM
Depends. If the customs people decide that it's too gel-like then they may confiscate it. If anything, just have your guy check it with the local airport.

It's not always a security concern.

FWIW- Customs is also charged with keeping out food products that in their opinion are dangerous, could cause sickness, or introduce a foreign pest. That's why they ask if you have an fruits, food, etc.

For example, coming back from South Africa, we had to eat all our Biltong (SA's version of Beef Jerky) on the plane. I like Biltong, but trying to eat a few pounds of the stuff was not fun - LOL!

----------------------------------

FWIW - The OP may want to start here:

http://www.cbp.gov/xp/cgov/travel/id_visa/arriving_travelers.xml

We regret that it is necessary to take agricultural items from your baggage. They cannot be brought into the United States because they may carry animal and plant pests and diseases. Restricted items include meats, fruits, vegetables, plants, soil, and products made from animal or plant materials.......

For more information on agricultural policy, please visit APHIS’ Plant Protection and Quarantine (PPQ) Web site. ( APHIS’ Plant Protection and Quarantine ) Or call 1-866-SAFGUARD. If you have any questions please

JRstriker12
01-18-2011, 12:58 PM
More info here:

https://help.cbp.gov/app/answers/detail/a_id/82/~/travelers-bringing-food-into-the-u.s.-for-personal-use

Looks like you might be able to bring some things depending on the region you are coming from.

TourTenor
01-18-2011, 01:02 PM
Whatever you do ... do not "cut the cheese" at the airport ... that will send everyone into high alert. :oops:

r2473
01-18-2011, 01:04 PM
Tell your friend to buy a block when he arrives. It's an aged product, for heaven's sake, so you get the same stuff here as anywhere else. Why bother to drag it with oneself on the trip?

Reggiano is probably cheaper at Costco. I think I pay ~$12/lb.

"Grana" is something like ~$4-5/lb.

FloridaAG
01-18-2011, 01:06 PM
I have never had a problem bringing it in pabletion. Generally I have bought it when I was using up currency.

It is easy go get good Parmiggiano Reggiano here. It is more difficult to find good Pecorino Romano here as what we get tends to be way to salty.

PeterPanda
01-18-2011, 01:08 PM
Yeah if he checks it.

jmverdugo
01-18-2011, 01:37 PM
In theory you shouldn't but usually the never check.

Fee
01-18-2011, 02:13 PM
Heyyyyy most knowledgable TW posters! Is it safe to pass sealed Parmiggiano Reggiano cheese through US customs, specially since its just a transit arrival from Spain?

I dream in Parmesan now... is there anything better? And a friend of mine coming from Spain is supposed to bring me a Parmesan cheese block the size of my head, but he's asking me if its allowed to pass through MIA. Anybody knows? Im pretty sure its allowed, specially if its air tight sealed... thanks!

mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm! :)

Will your friend be a male, traveling alone? With olive toned skin, in Miami? He might get profiled for a luggage check and they could take everything from him. But then again, I've never seen customs enforced consistently across the board and they cannot seem to agree on canned pate/foie gras being let in, so feel free to take your chances. He won't be arrested for carrying cheese, they will just take it from him (and then fish it out of the trash later for themselves ;) ).

Bartelby
01-18-2011, 02:52 PM
Apparently people doing the 'grand tour' of Europe several centuries ago used to carry a wheel of Parmesan in their luggage.

Larrysümmers
01-18-2011, 03:00 PM
when you go to board the plane, dont yell "shotgun" and try to sit at the front seat

lodeen
01-18-2011, 04:02 PM
If your friend is a woman, they prob won't check her luggage thoroughly for food, etc., especially if she's attractive, but they may give her a full body scan and/or pat down! If your friend is a guy, most likely they will thoroughly search for the food and confiscate it! My sis always bring food in from abroad into the USA and they never search her luggage. The last time I brought food in, they confiscated it AND fined me like $100!!! They totally ransacked my luggage all the time! They even confiscated my half eaten ham sandwich which I got on the plane. It was United Airlines. I'm a guy,btw.

TheBoom
01-18-2011, 04:06 PM
Don't grow a long grey beard and speak in another language with a bulge in the back of your shirt lol :)

rommil
01-18-2011, 08:23 PM
^^^or wrap it around your waist and tell them you're American.

JRstriker12
01-18-2011, 08:36 PM
Don't stuff a foil wrapped cucumber down your pants - Spinal Tap:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wRpWnK6Rg3E