PDA

View Full Version : Top Spin 4 Discussion Thread

Pages : 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7

Power Player
04-04-2011, 09:17 AM
Ok.... I played someone who was 100 power and 100 serve, I couldn't do anything about it. Everything I tried came back like a cannon. LAME!

Yeah I played a guy like that and beat him for a rare win. The secret is to move him around because he will be super slow. So use topspin control shots to the corners to set up a flat power winner.

Most of the times these guys will be guessing where you are going and cheating that way, since it is the only way they can cover the court. So you want to wrong foot them a lot. This will also keep them from being able to load up on a power shot.

MichaelNadal
04-04-2011, 09:44 AM
For the control shots, you gotta hit them deep. The guy I played hit them consistently right on the baseline either with pace or very high bouncing, so it was really tough to deal with. I've tried practicing it, but it's quite hard to pull off consistently. There must be some secret to it :confused:

I'll try to explain the drop shot in this game as best I can. First off, make sure you are in good position to hit one, either right on the baseline or inside it. Although you can hit droppers when you're behind the baseline, it's much harder to pull off cleanly. When you set up for the dropper, press and hold the R2 + Square buttons. Right when you are about to hit the ball, let go of those buttons at the same time and then control the left analog stick to where you want to hit the ball. I recommend holding the stick down a bit so the ball stays real short. Try practicing with the ball machine a bit to get the timing down.

OK i'll practice when I get home from work later. :)

jlan
04-04-2011, 09:59 AM
^ Just let me know whenever you're up for a rematch ;) I'm down to play anyone else on PS3 as well.

rainingaces
04-04-2011, 01:45 PM
Anyone want a game?
I will be on in about 10 minutes on the Xbox my username is "YearlongBarley6" add me!

FedExpress 333
04-04-2011, 05:45 PM
I am hoping to get this game this saturday! Sadly, I do not have live yet, but will try to get it with the game! looks really fun! Just one question: for the career mode, in some other games, serve/volley wud never work. in this one, are all playing styles really equal? also, which one is most effective, and which is the most fu to use? Also, which one do you need the most, esp. in the beginning? THX!

jamesblakefan#1
04-05-2011, 02:05 PM
Once again I fail in an online WT Grand Slam final b/c of the utter lack of unforced errors. There's no pro that can consistently hit 100 mph off of both sides and not hit UEs the entire match. I'm a balanced player (3 SV, 10 OB, 7 DB) but once I run into the guys w/ 90+ power it's all over. It's the one thing that grates me the most, I've seen guys put all 20 of their levels into offensive baseline and face virtually no drawbacks online at least b/c of the lack of UEs.

jlan
04-05-2011, 04:44 PM
Once again I fail in an online WT Grand Slam final b/c of the utter lack of unforced errors. There's no pro that can consistently hit 100 mph off of both sides and not hit UEs the entire match. I'm a balanced player (3 SV, 10 OB, 7 DB) but once I run into the guys w/ 90+ power it's all over. It's the one thing that grates me the most, I've seen guys put all 20 of their levels into offensive baseline and face virtually no drawbacks online at least b/c of the lack of UEs.

Making your opponent hit UEs requires a simple tactic. What works for me is hitting deep after you draw them inside the baseline with a drop shot or short slice. By deep I mean right on the baseline with top spin either by charging the shot or a well timed control shot. This works all the time against noobs, but for better opponents they will rarely hit UEs no matter what.

Once you reach "Legend" status in career mode, I believe you can create a new player with 50,000 XP to play with, which is more than enough to create a couple maxed out already. I recommend creating a lefty with a focus on big serves, groundstrokes, and power. It's a cheap way to win, but whatever haha :)

jamesblakefan#1
04-05-2011, 05:52 PM
That's the thing, I don't want to win cheap. I did create an Ivo Karlovic clone w/ a big serve and not much else (using the fast player creator, which I think you were referring to), but that's more for fun than anything else. The big hitters who max out power and the leftys are my two weaknesses right now. Even when I feel like I execute a shot that should force an error, it doesn't, mainly b/c online is played on "normal' difficulty instead of hard or very hard.

MichaelNadal
04-05-2011, 06:21 PM
That's the thing, I don't want to win cheap. I did create an Ivo Karlovic clone w/ a big serve and not much else (using the fast player creator, which I think you were referring to), but that's more for fun than anything else. The big hitters who max out power and the leftys are my two weaknesses right now. Even when I feel like I execute a shot that should force an error, it doesn't, mainly b/c online is played on "normal' difficulty instead of hard or very hard.

Agree, I wouldn't even want to be cheap. I don't get how you can feel good about winning cheap. Nothing I love more than beating a serve-bashing Roddick in 2k open.

FedExpress 333
04-05-2011, 07:59 PM
Anyone got an answer to my previous quesion?

Cooper_Tecnifibre4
04-05-2011, 10:12 PM
The "North American" theme song is not too bad i don't mind it. :lol:

I really don't like playing in Cincinnati the court is too light and there's trouble seeing the ball same goes to courts with shadows all over it

My exact thoughts.

forthegame
04-06-2011, 04:34 AM
Finally played the game on the Wii and enjoy it very much! Wondering how it compares on the other consoles.

BTW, Federer has been made sooooooo weak in this game, IMHO. Very poor show.

Since when did Nadal have a 1HBH??

Not sure the Wii has online gaming though.

cknobman
04-06-2011, 07:55 AM
Wow just found this thread. Been playing local career on Top Spin 4 (xbox 360) for a while now.

Thinking about trying out the world tour but it sounds brutal. My local player I created was 3-SV, 14-OB, 3-DB and from the sound of it I dont think that will cut it on the world tour.

I play the computer on hard and have about a 80%(most of my losses came early when my player was low level and I was still learning to play game) win record so Im thinking online I may be lucky to get a 10% win record.

Does anyone think there is cheating online?

rainingaces
04-06-2011, 07:58 AM
Wow just found this thread. Been playing local career on Top Spin 4 (xbox 360) for a while now.

Thinking about trying out the world tour but it sounds brutal. My local player I created was 3-SV, 14-OB, 3-DB and from the sound of it I dont think that will cut it on the world tour.

I play the computer on hard and have about a 80%(most of my losses came early when my player was low level and I was still learning to play game) win record so Im thinking online I may be lucky to get a 10% win record.

Not from what I have seen. I am not that good but I win regularly online, sounds to me that you are more then ready. Would you like a game?

People use power and serves to the max not cheating.

Totai
04-06-2011, 08:07 AM

My player is 11 OB, 8 DBand 1 in SV and I havent won a single online match yet. I keep getting blasted off court by 100 power guys. I can hang in rallies and get their stamina bar down to nothing, but that doesn't do anything, they still blast shots past me

DRII
04-06-2011, 08:33 AM
Not my cup of tea!

I liked TS3 much better! (I'm a PS3 guy).

TS4 seems rushed and un-refined. Plus they got rid of d-pad support, stupid decision!!!

DRII
04-06-2011, 08:36 AM
OH and BTW,

Any tennis gamers here should check out itst! Just google 'itst' and find out about it...

tacou
04-06-2011, 10:19 AM
wii tennis/smash court 2 where its at. I'm still holding out for the tennis game with a 100-man roster..

Breaker
04-06-2011, 10:30 AM
My player is 11 OB, 8 DBand 1 in SV and I havent won a single online match yet. I keep getting blasted off court by 100 power guys. I can hang in rallies and get their stamina bar down to nothing, but that doesn't do anything, they still blast shots past me

Best way to beat them is to master controlled returns (tap B at the correct point of A if you have one of the return traits) and hope to outmanoeuvre them from the backcourt with slice, deep topspin, angles, drop shots, etc. It's still hard to break them but on your own service games you should always be ahead in the point since those guys will have low reactions and speed which means bad return of serve and you can play some 1-2 tennis of your own. With my 81 speed guy I've won 7 in a row even with only 58 power.

I think return of serve is the most important skill to master in the game (in some ways that's true in real life as well!)

Totai
04-06-2011, 11:07 AM
Best way to beat them is to master controlled returns (tap B at the correct point of A if you have one of the return traits) and hope to outmanoeuvre them from the backcourt with slice, deep topspin, angles, drop shots, etc. It's still hard to break them but on your own service games you should always be ahead in the point since those guys will have low reactions and speed which means bad return of serve and you can play some 1-2 tennis of your own. With my 81 speed guy I've won 7 in a row even with only 58 power.

I think return of serve is the most important skill to master in the game (in some ways that's true in real life as well!)

Even on perfect returns, my return is a sitter right at their service line, and they just crush the ball. Maybe I am just hopeless at this game

Power Player
04-06-2011, 11:31 AM
^^^

I feel your pain my friend.

MichaelNadal
04-07-2011, 08:20 PM
Yikes, almost dropped off page 1! BUMP!

Breaker
04-08-2011, 04:26 AM
Got some nice hate messages from a Spanish guy yesterday calling me a cono and several other colourful words, I think people need to calm down online.

rovex
04-08-2011, 04:30 AM
Got some nice hate messages from a Spanish guy yesterday calling me a cono and several other colourful words, I think people need to calm down online.

What do you expect, you quit early.

:mrgreen:

grimmbomb21
04-08-2011, 08:05 AM
This game sucks online now. I only get to play against Roddick and Nadal in 2kOpen. And everyone is a Roddick clone in world tour. I tried playing as Roddick, but it got boring too quick.

flyinghippos101
04-08-2011, 09:36 AM
This game sucks online now. I only get to play against Roddick and Nadal in 2kOpen. And everyone is a Roddick clone in world tour. I tried playing as Roddick, but it got boring too quick.

I agree to some extent. While I think 2K Sports was moving in the right direction when it comes to lveling up in that you don't chose which particular stat to max out, but this becomes useless if the player has an idea of what type of game style he'd want to max out anyway...

It's still fun if you're playing fellow TTers btw.

Breaker
04-08-2011, 01:31 PM
What do you expect, you quit early.

:mrgreen:

Haha nope! Was unprovoked and also one of the 100 power guys so I can see where his rage comes from, any challenge he gets would make him go into rage I guess.

rainingaces
04-09-2011, 11:01 AM
Would anyone like to organize a doubles match?

Doubles is always empty when I look so it should not be to hard to organize and it could be fun. Does not matter to me if your good or not at it, I am hopeless at doubles on this game.

(FEDERER)vs(NADAL)
04-09-2011, 03:55 PM
anyone find that this game is too easy? even on very hard mode?

(FEDERER)vs(NADAL)
04-09-2011, 03:56 PM
also wondering if anyone has had any success creating a delpo? haha if so let me know how! my guy doesn't look remotely like him!

jlan
04-09-2011, 04:04 PM
anyone find that this game is too easy? even on very hard mode?

Try Expert mode after you unlock it in career. I've only played it a couple of times to try it out. It's a nice little challenge, but beating on people online is more fun :twisted:

also wondering if anyone has had any success creating a delpo? haha if so let me know how! my guy doesn't look remotely like him!

I made Delpo for my first created player. His face looked pretty good in the creation stage, but in-game he looks much different haha.

jamesblakefan#1
04-09-2011, 11:36 PM
RCizzle fights from down a set and a break to take me down in a heartbreaker 4-6, 7-5, 6-3. Was up 4-2 in the 2nd w/ a couple of points to go up a double break but RC started reading my serve perfectly w/ some great returning and clutch serving of his own.

flyinghippos101
04-10-2011, 06:08 AM
This game was great for a week or two after release, everyone seemed pretty balanced stat wise. Now, everyone seems more inclined to max out power and serve...

JackB1
04-10-2011, 09:15 AM
Anyone around 12 pts want to play today/tonite, let me know. My XBL name is "JackB1". You can email me through my profile.

flyinghippos101
04-10-2011, 09:44 AM
Anyone around 12 pts want to play today/tonite, let me know. My XBL name is "JackB1". You can email me through my profile.

I'm game now if you're available :)

MichaelNadal
04-10-2011, 11:28 AM
I had such a fantastic match on there last night against someone that picked Becker. I won 0-3, 4-3, 10-3 it was great. I saved 3 match points in the 2nd set breaker with Djokovic.

MichaelNadal
04-10-2011, 06:42 PM
Hmmmmmm

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/mikeynitro/2011-04-10224400.jpg

jamesblakefan#1
04-10-2011, 06:50 PM
Hmmmmmm

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/mikeynitro/2011-04-10224400.jpg

Patch? Kinda unexpected but if it truly fixes the power serving it would be great.

MichaelNadal
04-10-2011, 06:54 PM
Yeah I didn't even have to download it, I just turned the game on and that notification came up. (Personally I didn't have a problem with the power serving) I usually get a good read on the hard serves on the game. I beat a hard serving Roddick pretty handily online last night.

jlan
04-11-2011, 12:16 AM
I like this update. The Roddick and Becker serve cheesers can't hit aces anymore lol :mrgreen:

cknobman
04-11-2011, 07:31 AM
Dont have patch yet but I hope it fixes the "serve" glitch.

I dont play online yet but against computer there are times when it serves an ace and I dont even get to move. Its so freaking stupid too. I even got to the point where I was moving around before the ball was even hit but its like the computer has pre-determined an ace will be hit and my guy just stops and watches the ball go by, I have no say-so at all.

jlan
04-11-2011, 07:39 AM
Dont have patch yet but I hope it fixes the "serve" glitch.

I dont play online yet but against computer there are times when it serves an ace and I dont even get to move. Its so freaking stupid too. I even got to the point where I was moving around before the ball was even hit but its like the computer has pre-determined an ace will be hit and my guy just stops and watches the ball go by, I have no say-so at all.

You should really play online. Even on Expert mode the CPU is pretty easy and playing a real person is more interesting.

MichaelNadal
04-11-2011, 10:15 AM
You should really play online. Even on Expert mode the CPU is pretty easy and playing a real person is more interesting.

I MUCH prefer playing online, you can just tell when it's a person.

Frankauc
04-11-2011, 10:34 AM
I MUCH prefer playing online, you can just tell when it's a person.

want me to beat you michealnadal? my Id is frankauc, add me!

MichaelNadal
04-11-2011, 10:42 AM

Im ncmoviefan, i'll add you. Im going to work now, I'll be back home in..... 7hrs. So if you're up in 7 hrs I'll play u then :)

jlan
04-11-2011, 10:43 AM

I'll play the winner :-P

MichaelNadal
04-11-2011, 10:53 AM
Sounds like a plan :) See u guys later

(and Jlan i'll get to 2 and 2 this time lol)

jlan
04-11-2011, 11:15 AM
Sounds like a plan :) See u guys later

(and Jlan i'll get to 2 and 2 this time lol)

Alright, sounds good! Let's try to get to the super tie-break next time ;-)

Frankauc
04-11-2011, 11:20 AM
allright!!!

jamesblakefan#1
04-11-2011, 02:17 PM
I might be done with this game until a full official patch comes out. The lack of UEs online has pushed me over the edge. I'm hitting shots that should force UEs but don't. Maybe I'll just take a break from this game for a bit, but it's killing me right now.

MichaelNadal
04-11-2011, 03:21 PM
Interestin jbf..... i dont have that problem really.

Frankauc
04-11-2011, 03:31 PM
im online guys, ready to beat you!

MichaelNadal
04-11-2011, 03:49 PM
im at work for another hour or so. did u add me?

jlan
04-11-2011, 04:41 PM
GG Frankauc! You and MichaelNadal should have a pretty good match :D

MichaelNadal
04-11-2011, 05:15 PM
GG Frankauc! You and MichaelNadal should have a pretty good match :D

Im positive u won lol, what was the score?

jlan
04-11-2011, 05:26 PM
Im positive u won lol, what was the score?

1st match: Me (Agassi) / Him (created player)
3-0, 3-1

2nd match: Me (Agassi) / Him (Djokovic)
I honestly forgot the score here lol

3rd match: Me (Agassi) / Him (Agassi)
3-0, 3-0

Don't let the scores fool you. Some games were very close and were decided by some really close points that made the difference. I think you two will have a close match :)

MichaelNadal
04-11-2011, 05:29 PM
1st match: Me (Agassi) / Him (created player)
3-0, 3-1

2nd match: Me (Agassi) / Him (Djokovic)
I honestly forgot the score here lol

3rd match: Me (Agassi) / Him (Agassi)
3-0, 3-0

Don't let the scores fool you. Some games were very close and were decided by some really close points that made the difference. I think you two will have a close match :)

Oh im not fooled lol, when u beat me 6-1, 6-1, it was actually pretty close lmao.

jlan
04-11-2011, 05:50 PM
Oh im not fooled lol, when u beat me 6-1, 6-1, it was actually pretty close lmao.

Haha some games were quite close ;-) If it's any consolation, I got beat down BAD one time by a guy using Murray. He double bagled me. So yeah, there's even better guys out there :shock:

Frankauc
04-11-2011, 07:11 PM
jlan is a VERY good player....He uses all the shots very well and takes you wrong footed very often. I wasnt able to take him wrong footed, his footwork is top notch. and he return serve very well. I thought i was good at this game lol...On the other hand i just won my tennis league tournament tonight (real tennis), so i'll be able to sleep well tonight.

jlan
04-11-2011, 07:59 PM
jlan is a VERY good player....He uses all the shots very well and takes you wrong footed very often. I wasnt able to take him wrong footed, his footwork is top notch. and he return serve very well. I thought i was good at this game lol...On the other hand i just won my tennis league tournament tonight (real tennis), so i'll be able to sleep well tonight.

Thanks :) You were pretty quick to figure out my strategy and I really had to work harder to win points. If you're ever up to play any more matches I'm sure they'll be much closer. I gotta work on my serve. Ever since the update it's harder to paint the lines now. All I do is cheese that serve in lol. And good job with your win in what matters most, REAL tennis :D

MarinaHighTennis
04-11-2011, 08:04 PM
I have to say that I hate topspin 4 and virtual tennis. THe only tennis game that is fun and true to tennis is Grand Slam tennis
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dxga4i9HoQ8&feature=channel_video_title

Yenster
04-11-2011, 11:05 PM
add me on PSN = yensterrr, so far i'm 7-3 I believe?

sman789
04-12-2011, 09:01 AM
add me on PSN = yensterrr, so far i'm 7-3 I believe?
Added...with the patch added I haven't seen many cheap servers. Seems as I need to change up my main player now. Needs to be more mobule:)

Zildite
04-12-2011, 04:30 PM
Got a ps3 and Top Spin 4 today :)
Will be noobing around for a while :oops::-P

MichaelNadal
04-12-2011, 06:06 PM
Got a ps3 and Top Spin 4 today :)
Will be noobing around for a while :oops::-P

Congrats man! My PS3 is the best thing i've ever bought lol. Feel free to add us.

william7gr
04-13-2011, 08:13 PM
Is this game still worth getting? Im considering getting it this weekend. After many of you have played for almost a month what do you think. Is it still fun to play? I only want to play online after i learn the controls off. Are there enough people online to make this fun? Xbox BTW.

MichaelNadal
04-13-2011, 08:20 PM
Is this game still worth getting? Im considering getting it this weekend. After many of you have played for almost a month what do you think. Is it still fun to play? I only want to play online after i learn the controls off. Are there enough people online to make this fun? Xbox BTW.

Definitely, I'm not in the LEAST bit tired of this game, online takes up all my time and I haven't even gotten into career mode yet, which is very expansive!

Yenster
04-13-2011, 10:19 PM
wait what did the patch do?

bezs
04-13-2011, 10:23 PM
Their giving away a trip to the US Open for the top ranking player in the 2K Open.

http://www.facebook.com/Topspin?sk=app_143282135704872#!/note.php?note_id=217047311643732

MichaelNadal
04-13-2011, 11:02 PM
Their giving away a trip to the US Open for the top ranking player in the 2K Open.

http://www.facebook.com/Topspin?sk=app_143282135704872#!/note.php?note_id=217047311643732

JEALOUS! I wish the points for the players started over each season too :(

rovex
04-14-2011, 12:07 AM

You're only eligible if you're in the US....

MichaelNadal
04-14-2011, 10:15 AM
The only thing that makes me mad is online is playing "good" players that aren't used to losing. Second time I've played someone really good and won the first set and they quit the match bc they can't believe they are actually losing. What fun is that? I HATE easy matches, I'd much rather play someone dead even with me and win or lose the first set in a tiebreak. Both times I sent the player a message. "U mad bro?"

cdubdub
04-14-2011, 11:48 AM
ive had the game for around 4 days now and have a lvl 18 guy.. id be cool to hit with someon on xbox if they asked me- gt:a_moshark

MichaelNadal
04-19-2011, 09:19 AM
Everyone has definitely stepped their game up online, i've been losing a lot lately.

jlan
04-19-2011, 10:28 AM
Everyone has definitely stepped their game up online, i've been losing a lot lately.

Most of the good people I play use Davydenko, Blake, Murray, or Chang. All the scrubs play with Nadal or Roddick.

The best Federer user I've played against was a guy named "Aegd" or something close to that. Absolutely fantastic player. All three matches went to the super tie-break, which I won all hehe :twisted:

Power Player
04-19-2011, 11:09 AM
Am I insane to use Becker and try and finish points at the net? I have gotten a little better using him online, but i still kind of blow.

rainingaces
04-19-2011, 11:14 AM
Am I insane to use Becker and try and finish points at the net? I have gotten a little better using him online, but i still kind of blow.

He has the best volly in the game I think, try s and v.

Davydenko is so much fun online, just had arod on a piece of string. :)

Trick Shot
04-19-2011, 11:14 AM
Hey, I now have multiple level 20s so if anyone wants to play online on the 360 send a FR to x The Djoker x. Haven't played many matches online yet, but looking forward to start playing quite a bit.

jlan
04-19-2011, 11:20 AM

Definitely not! I'd much rather get beaten by a S&V player than by someone who only knows how to hold down the power shot button. Rafter probably has the best volley in the game followed by Becker, but Becker has better overall stats.

There's an easy tactic that I use against S&V players that has been full-proof for me. Whenever they're at net, all you have to do is short slice or short angled topspin so they can only volley up. You get a easy sitter to finish the point on.

Power Player
04-19-2011, 11:40 AM
I don't even serve and volley. What I do is pick my spot in a rally to attack a ball and get to net. That way instead of dealing with a guy who returns everything and gets right back in the mix, I can finish off his shot at the net.

Thanks to your little drop shot tutorial, I finally understand how to hit them.

flyinghippos101
04-19-2011, 12:22 PM
I think everyone at this point is near or at lv 20. Think we should get a small TT tourny going on the 360 and PS3

bezs
04-21-2011, 08:07 AM
PSN is down :(

MichaelNadal
04-21-2011, 07:24 PM
PSN is down :(

It's killing me! lol

Mansewerz
04-22-2011, 01:02 AM
Ugh, Rafa on Very hard is really annoying me. With Sampras, you can't get in quick enough to serve and volley, so you end up hitting this weird chip that Rafa gets to easily. And when I play him with Fed, I'll pull him off the court, and he randomly gets a short angle or hits a drop shot. Very frustrating. Personally, I think Rafa is a bit overpowered.

cknobman
04-22-2011, 07:46 AM
Ugh, Rafa on Very hard is really annoying me. With Sampras, you can't get in quick enough to serve and volley, so you end up hitting this weird chip that Rafa gets to easily. And when I play him with Fed, I'll pull him off the court, and he randomly gets a short angle or hits a drop shot. Very frustrating. Personally, I think Rafa is a bit overpowered.

Yeah its weird for me with Rafa. When on a hard court hes a breeze to beat but on clay its almost like the developers have intentionally coded him to be unbeatable and no matter who I play with and what strategy I use Rafa will still win every time. He will pull off balance, running backward, out of position, short angled winners out of his @ss 400 times in a row if he needs too.

Mansewerz
04-22-2011, 08:54 AM
Yeah its weird for me with Rafa. When on a hard court hes a breeze to beat but on clay its almost like the developers have intentionally coded him to be unbeatable and no matter who I play with and what strategy I use Rafa will still win every time. He will pull off balance, running backward, out of position, short angled winners out of his @ss 400 times in a row if he needs too.

I think it's a tad unfair. The fact that guys like him and Chang can get to every ball and put a ton of work on them or hit them in awkward angles

Power Player
04-22-2011, 09:09 AM

I bet him on VH with Becker. What you want to do is not serve and volley, but use your flat power shots to pull him wide and then rush the net. Really helps finish off points against the fast guys when you do that.

Mansewerz
04-22-2011, 09:58 AM
I bet him on VH with Becker. What you want to do is not serve and volley, but use your flat power shots to pull him wide and then rush the net. Really helps finish off points against the fast guys when you do that.

Yeah, it's just hard keeping up with him in a rally with those guys.

And, it's mainly a Rafa/Chang problem. Well, moreso Rafa. Timing volleys in this game are tough. I beat Chang with Rafter. I just beat Sampras 4 and 3 with Agassi, so it's a matchup thing

jlan
04-22-2011, 12:58 PM

I just triple bagled Rafa on Expert with Wozniacki lol. Just make sure you hit the ball DEEP. You don't need to hit flat, just top spin and slice. All your top spin shots should land deep in his court and if you can hit short, sharp angled shots to pull him wide, even better. And if he's way back behind the baseline, drop shot him. Slice him deep, slice him short. I've forced lots of errors just varying the slice depth and angles.

BigServer1
04-22-2011, 01:13 PM
I just triple bagled Rafa on Expert with Wozniacki lol. Just make sure you hit the ball DEEP. You don't need to hit flat, just top spin and slice. All your top spin shots should land deep in his court and if you can hit short, sharp angled shots to pull him wide, even better. And if he's way back behind the baseline, drop shot him. Slice him deep, slice him short. I've forced lots of errors just varying the slice depth and angles.

Remind me to never play you online when I get around to buying this game...lol

jlan
04-22-2011, 01:23 PM
Remind me to never play you online when I get around to buying this game...lol

Haha alright I'll send you a message to remind you :wink:

Mansewerz
04-22-2011, 01:30 PM

Yeah, that's a tough prospect. You're just a lot better than some of us. I still think he's overpowered.

Zildite
04-22-2011, 04:03 PM
Triple bagel on expert, yeesh :) I just eeked out a win over him with Simon on VH.
7-6(6) 6-4 and he was up 5-4, 40-0 in the first set so I may have been lucky there :eek:

I have had a pattern of tough first sets then coasting for the rest of the match though.
Had a score of 7-5 6-0 6-3 against Roddick, 7-6 6-0 against Federer and 7-5 6-1 against Wozniacki (I was down 1-5 in the first set) before.
Not sure if they wear out or I just get better as the match progresses :?:

Speaking of overpowered, Murray seems to be one of the toughest characters, at least for me. I get wrong-footed by him a lot for some reason.
Lost to him 3-0 3-1 in the WTF on career mode (he went on to win the tournament), but then beat him 3-1 4-2 in Australia :twisted:

jlan
04-22-2011, 04:15 PM
Triple bagel on expert, yeesh :) I just eeked out a win over him with Simon on VH.
7-6(6) 6-4 and he was up 5-4, 40-0 in the first set so I may have been lucky there :eek:

I have had a pattern of tough first sets then coasting for the rest of the match though.
Had a score of 7-5 6-0 6-3 against Roddick, 7-6 6-0 against Federer and 7-5 6-1 against Wozniacki (I was down 1-5 in the first set) before.
Not sure if they wear out or I just get better as the match progresses :?:

Speaking of overpowered, Murray seems to be one of the toughest characters, at least for me. I get wrong-footed by him a lot for some reason.
Lost to him 3-0 3-1 in the WTF on career mode (he went on to win the tournament), but then beat him 3-1 4-2 in Australia :twisted:

I'm sort of the opposite. I'll coast the first set or two, then it seems the CPU will play harder, making it more difficult to win points. At least that's how it is on Expert. Haven't noticed this in the lower settings.

I agree with Murray being tough in this game. Sometimes he'll hit monster forehands outta nowhere and he can run down a lot of balls. Some of the good people I've played online use Murray. They like to forehand slice deep and use his backhand a lot.

I really hope PSN goes back online soon. Playing the CPU is really boring compared to a real person.

flyinghippos101
04-22-2011, 04:37 PM
JBF#1 and me played a match earlier today, I pulled out a win in a tight three setter, 6-1,2-6,6-3. Won first set comfortably, JBF#1 upped his level in the second and took that one with two breaks. Third set was messy, not too many highlight shots since both our guys were ready to keel over and die from exhaustion. There were breaks back and forth; eventually it boiled down to whoever would actually hold serve first would win. I was able to even our H2H to 2-2 after this one.

Haven't really invested that much time in single-player, only really used career to get a coach. How do you even unlock expert anyways?

Zildite
04-22-2011, 05:04 PM
Haven't really invested that much time in single-player, only really used career to get a coach. How do you even unlock expert anyways?

You unlock it by winning a Grand Slam tournament on Very Hard mode. However, you can play it at any difficulty then switch it to VH at the post-match screen right after the final and it will still be unlocked :)

jamesblakefan#1
04-22-2011, 05:59 PM
JBF#1 and me played a match earlier today, I pulled out a win in a tight three setter, 6-1,2-6,6-3. Won first set comfortably, JBF#1 upped his level in the second and took that one with two breaks. Third set was messy, not too many highlight shots since both our guys were ready to keel over and die from exhaustion. There were breaks back and forth; eventually it boiled down to whoever would actually hold serve first would win. I was able to even our H2H to 2-2 after this one.

That was a good match. Ever since the tuner I haven't been getting the free points on my serve, and it showed (48% 1st serve pts lost). That game at 3-1 in the 3rd where I saved like a billion break/deuce points was pretty epic though. Too bad I couldn't do anything after that. :p

flyinghippos101
04-22-2011, 06:32 PM
That was a good match. Ever since the tuner I haven't been getting the free points on my serve, and it showed (48% 1st serve pts lost). That game at 3-1 in the 3rd where I saved like a billion break/deuce points was pretty epic though. Too bad I couldn't do anything after that. :p

Word, got so frustrated being unable to capitalize on those BPs and then I get broken the next game :( But tbh, my guy was so tired, that I was relegated to pretty much using only control shots. You were able to track down so many of my shots even on the run, that I just couldn't risk giving you valuable seconds setting up for those power shots.

MichaelNadal
04-23-2011, 02:13 PM
I only think Rafa is overpowered when I play against him, when I AM Rafa, I find him very very weak, serves too soft, and hard to put pace on the ball. Your timing has to be exact to be good while playing as him.

Mansewerz
04-23-2011, 05:46 PM
Got Rafa on VH with Murray :) The deep topspin shots worked. Very little power used.

jamesblakefan#1
04-24-2011, 05:17 PM
Just faced Rafa for the first time in my career on Very Hard. Played in Canada and beat him 7-5, 6-0. Was 5-5 in the 1st until I zoned and won the last 8 games. Probably the best match of my career. 14 aces, 0 DFs, 55/4 W/UEs. You have to shorten points and try to get to net as much as possible. My guy's a diesel hard hitter/volley shots artist, so I'm an all courter.

dcdoorknob
04-24-2011, 07:03 PM
I went out and bought this a couple weeks ago.

Overall I enjoy the gameplay. The point construction is fun. One thing that is really annoying me at the moment in career mode is how the opponents suddenly play like 3 levels higher in the semis of a grand slam. At the moment I'm winning every masters tourney I enter and every pre-SF grand slam match but the moment I play the same players in the semis of a slam they cream me. I mean its only set on hard, I'm not that good, but I'm really just complaining about the ridiculous sudden change in level of play at the SF stage.

I wouldn't have a problem if it was just a little harder at the latter stages of a grand slam, but the way it's set up, if I'm good enough to be competitive in the semis/finals of a slam, then the rest of the matches are just tedious and boring. I don't get why they'd set it up that way, it's pretty annoying to me right now.

Another annoying glitch is that it isn't awarding points properly for the grandslams either. Federer won the AO but lost points, and then I checked and it had given him 0 points for January, and I"m pretty sure it did the same thing for the French that I just played when Nadal won and dropped in the rankings.

MichaelNadal
04-24-2011, 08:29 PM
Just faced Rafa for the first time in my career on Very Hard. Played in Canada and beat him 7-5, 6-0. Was 5-5 in the 1st until I zoned and won the last 8 games. Probably the best match of my career. 14 aces, 0 DFs, 55/4 W/UEs. You have to shorten points and try to get to net as much as possible. My guy's a diesel hard hitter/volley shots artist, so I'm an all courter.

What a W/UE stat for you o_O lol wow.

jamesblakefan#1
04-24-2011, 09:16 PM
What a W/UE stat for you o_O lol wow.

:lol: That's the way I have to play against guys like Nadal and Murray on VH, they don't seem to make mistakes at all. Djoker's similar. Fed is a lot easier and at least seems to make mistakes from time to time. Also I still don't get why the devs felt that Murray's FH is stronger than his BH. :?

Just played the SF against Murray and won again 7-6, 7-6. Was down 4-0 in the 1st, then reeled off 5 games in a row to get back in it, took the TB 7-5. 2nd set no breaks, I won TB 7-3.

Me: 9 aces, 68 W/8 UEs 2/3 BP won, 26/27 at the net
Murray: 0 aces, 73 W/11 UEs 2/10 BP won, 1/3 at the net

This is the first MS final of my career, and I play Fed who I beat earlier in the year in Madrid.

-----

Beat Federer in the finals 6-2, 6-2. 49/1 W/UE :lol: Fed had 32/3 W/UE and still got destroyed.

Sid_Vicious
04-24-2011, 09:25 PM
Wow you guys are good. I am on career mode (very hard mode) and I can't beat Djokovic. I think it is because my created player is butt-ugly and I don't feel motivated enough to play well with him .

FedExpress 333
04-24-2011, 10:11 PM
OK, triple post..

FedExpress 333
04-24-2011, 10:14 PM
ooops, double post

FedExpress 333
04-24-2011, 10:15 PM
Got the game today. Sadly, dont have xbox live, but I started a career on hard. Oh my, i have one like one minor tournament in 2 years......its kinda stupid. I must suck at this game. I am much better at exhibition, though. Made an all round player, currently 4 everything.

Gameplay is nice, I like the control shots added, it helps when you are on the run. I used to play topspin 2, and if u did not slice it on the run, you were screwed.As I said, I suck at it. However, one thing is the scoring system. in the sparring matches(one set of 3), I bagel everyone. However, in the tournament, they have some ******** super tiebreak thing, in which i always lose. I chose classic tennis in the options, dunno wats up. Dude, volleying is mad hard.....i can never get good timing consistently. Also, I think that the wrong foot think is overpowered. I can be recovering to center, the guy hits it CC againg, im like a foot from the ball, and my guy does not get it. Im like wat the heck???

Overall, like it a lot, but I keep getting screwed on hard, but bagel everyone on normal(tried it n exhibition) any of you, in your careers, had similar difficulties? Also, i need tips for playing the net, I realllly suck. Thxx!

FedExpress 333
04-26-2011, 09:55 PM
BUMP almost fell off the front page, cmon, guys, how does everyone not post when i finally got the game???

MichaelNadal
04-27-2011, 12:58 AM
Lol I have the playstation network blues, that's my excuse. Plus I just got Mortal Kombat and it's BRILLIANT. But im gonna get back on TS4 too.

bezs
04-27-2011, 02:54 AM
Lol I have the playstation network blues, that's my excuse. Plus I just got Mortal Kombat and it's BRILLIANT. But im gonna get back on TS4 too.

Still might be awhile before PSN goes back up. Thought of getting Mortal Kombat its that good?

MichaelNadal
04-27-2011, 10:29 AM
Still might be awhile before PSN goes back up. Thought of getting Mortal Kombat its that good?

OMG man, if you have played the demo, do NOT go by that. I wasn't impressed at ALL by the demo and was really let down, but got the game anyway. It's easily the best MK ever. VERY VERY in depth, loads of special features and extras. Tag team mode is just insanely fun, I can play tag team all damn day. Test your luck is hilarious and never gets old, it's like a slot machine with 4 spaces, it picks your opponent, and then 3 stipulations for the match. You can fight headless, upside down, with a magnetic floor. Or it may pick, turbo speed, during an earthquake, while you get hit with meteors lol. So much replay to this game, I haven't even started story mode or challenge ladder yet. GET IT. And if ya don't take my word for it, look at the reviews on amazon.com!

Edit... also if you get it, make sure u do the training. it only takes 7 or 8 minutes and explains the new special system and how to do tag attacks, and a few other things that really help.

zidane339
04-27-2011, 05:47 PM
Just bought it for PS3...def getting a league up here once I get some playing time and PSN comes back up!

flyinghippos101
04-27-2011, 07:16 PM
Really feeling for you PS3 guys, you're getting royally screwed by Sony. At first it seemed like some sort of massive server overhaul, but apparently its hackers now and they might have credit card info...

http://www.zdnet.com.au/playstation-credit-card-data-was-encrypted-339314012.htm

vandre
04-28-2011, 09:14 AM
i just wished that it showed fed crying after you beat him!

ARIARAIDEN
05-05-2011, 08:45 AM
Best Match Today beat Murray in the Final of the Aussie Open on Pro. Unlocked Expert and hit 67 Aces

MichaelNadal
05-05-2011, 11:33 PM
You are a beast if you hit 67 aces man. You go out wide or down the T?

ARIARAIDEN
05-06-2011, 02:41 AM
You are a beast if you hit 67 aces man. You go out wide or down the T?
Down the T

MichaelNadal
05-06-2011, 07:19 AM
^Nice man, I usually only hit slice aces down the T.

hsv91
05-07-2011, 12:01 PM
Anyone try using Simon? I think he plays great and is good on all surfaces. I am getting a little tired of 2k Open now. I kept backing out of matches looking for a no Nadal/Roddick match. It took me over five minutes. :lol:

Yes, I use Simon, he is my favorite player :)

jamesblakefan#1
05-07-2011, 12:20 PM
Supposedly there is a patch coming soon within the next week or so.

http://www.operationsports.com/news/480842/top-spin-4-patch-has-been-submitted-released-soon/

Arthuro
05-07-2011, 02:34 PM
Has anyone else had trouble with the transition game in Topspin 4. I can't seem to make a smooth transition from the baseline to the net in this game.

MarinaHighTennis
05-07-2011, 09:03 PM
I say play Grand Slam tennis

FedExpress 333
05-07-2011, 09:15 PM
Mannnnnn i wanna get xbox live......

Seriously, this semifinals of a grand slam is ridiculous. I win every masters, everything until a semi of a GS ex: double bagled fed in the finals of WTF, then got double bageled at the aussi open by him. Im like, WTF?

Btw, is it more fun online, or is single player better?

Meriko
05-07-2011, 10:14 PM

Seriously, this semifinals of a grand slam is ridiculous. I win every masters, everything until a semi of a GS ex: double bagled fed in the finals of WTF, then got double bageled at the aussi open by him. Im like, WTF?

Overall IMO, it's better online, but there are people who play in annoying ways that subtract from the fun.

jamesblakefan#1
05-07-2011, 10:49 PM

I definitely experienced the 'god mode' that the CPU has once you hit a slam semi. On Very Hard, made it to AO SF after beating Murray in 5 and Davydenko in 3.

Face Blake who I'd beaten in Paris indoors in straights, and lose the first 8 games b/c he's in GOAT mode and not missing anything. Ended up losing 6-0, 6-3, 6-2 or something like that, Blake had something ridiculous like 70/5 W/UE ratio.

Online is definitely the better challenge as long as you're not playing the cheesers who put all their skills into one category.

MichaelNadal
05-09-2011, 07:05 AM
Anyone else find that it's easier to break serve than hold?

Zildite
05-09-2011, 07:48 PM
Anyone else find that it's easier to break serve than hold?

I'd say so perhaps, but I mostly play with defensive baseliners :) My main created guy has a grey rating for his serve.
I have another with red serve+power but don't use him much as the lack of mobility is frustrating for me.
Also I prefer rallying over trying to load up on aces or 1-2 punches unless im down BP's or something.
The opponents ROS can be very deep which seems to be the main problem.
As long as you have good timing getting a good return yourself isn't always too hard, although I had trouble breaking Roddick recently who made the final of the WTF somehow (4-3 4-2, 1 break).
Things might be different in online play, but PSN is still down :-|

RCizzle65
05-09-2011, 09:55 PM
Has anyone else had trouble with the transition game in Topspin 4. I can't seem to make a smooth transition from the baseline to the net in this game.

Are you holding the LB/L1 button when moving up?

Zildite
05-09-2011, 10:54 PM
Official details of the new patch here - http://www.operationsports.com/news/482851/top-spin-4-patch-available-now-post-your-impressions-here-ps3-360/

TopspinTitans
05-10-2011, 12:31 PM

Yeah, I kept getting bageled by Murray in the GS semis (very hard mode) no matter how many times I tried, so I created a new player with a stronger forehand and with Topspin Invasion and Monster Defense skills and I was finally able to beat the guy. Now I finally unlocked the Expert mode...

FedExpress 333
05-10-2011, 02:19 PM
I think we should make a league where all players have to be 7,7,6, in any order....

FedExpress 333
05-10-2011, 02:33 PM
just lost to roddick in tthe semis of wimby..... ughhhhh

bezs
05-13-2011, 04:42 AM
Feels like its been an eternity since i could play the 2k Open.

rovex
05-13-2011, 06:20 AM
It's very easy to beat Federer on very hard by feeding him junk balls to his backhand which leads to a short ball and finish off the point. I find Blake is very difficult to beat against good players online, a bit like roddick except I find his stamina and movement to be superior and it's very difficult to cope with those blistering shots giving you little time To react and give him short balls to punish. No chance to hit through him, Counter punching is the only way, good effective counter punching that is.

MichaelNadal
05-13-2011, 07:42 AM
Feels like its been an eternity since i could play the 2k Open.

Me too. Im dying!!

flyinghippos101
05-13-2011, 09:32 AM
Official details of the new patch here - http://www.operationsports.com/news/482851/top-spin-4-patch-available-now-post-your-impressions-here-ps3-360/

Just noticed that JBF#1 posted this

mrtrinh
05-13-2011, 07:24 PM
how is the online gameplay? sorry I really dont feel like reading through all the pages. are there a lot of people online playing ts4? or do you have to wait an eternity to find a player match. I waited till the new virtua tennis came to decide which game I should pick up. Ended up hating virtua tennis, its just like the rest of the virtua tennis games. Just want to know a little info before i decide to buy ts4

MichaelNadal
05-14-2011, 08:28 PM
PSN is back online :D

flyinghippos101
05-14-2011, 08:33 PM
Congrats! :D, I'm guessing Sony's also gonna give PSN users some free goodies too.

MichaelNadal
05-14-2011, 08:36 PM
Congrats! :D, I'm guessing Sony's also gonna give PSN users some free goodies too.

24 days of HELL! Lol. Yeah they are giving us 30 days free PSN plus, a few other things as well.

FedExpress 333
05-14-2011, 09:36 PM
Anyone up for a match? First one online so dont kill me, gamertag Raining Amoeba 79.

jlan
05-14-2011, 09:36 PM
Alright! Who wants to lose?! :twisted:

FedExpress 333
05-14-2011, 09:37 PM
meeeeeeeeeeeeeee

im a beginner, dont kill me....

FedExpress 333
05-14-2011, 09:38 PM
gamertag,jlan?

jlan
05-14-2011, 09:40 PM
^ TW_jlan

Don't worry, I haven't played since PSN went down. I'll be a bit rusty :)

FedExpress 333
05-14-2011, 09:40 PM
wait, i hav a 360.........

jlan
05-14-2011, 09:47 PM
Looks like we can't play then haha

Zildite
05-14-2011, 09:47 PM
True story? It says it's still undergoing maintenance for me...I'm too busy to play anyway right now :eek:
Must be my location.
US citizens can follow the roll out here - http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/05/14/play-on-%E2%80%93-psn-restoration-begins-now/

MichaelNadal
05-14-2011, 09:51 PM
I'll play ya later on or tomorrow Jlan.

jlan
05-14-2011, 09:57 PM
I'll play ya later on or tomorrow Jlan.

Nice! I'll be on tomorrow after that beastly final in Rome :grin:

CourtlyLove
05-15-2011, 06:41 AM
Picked this up brand new on **** for my PS3. $33 including shipping. :) I haven't played any tennis games besides Mario Tennis and Wii Tennis... My PSN is kcpajor. Take it easy on me--I'm just learning the sport, even!

Clay lover
05-15-2011, 07:05 AM
To the experts here:

What is the new game like? I got Topspin 3 but was unhappy with the jerky player movements and unrealistic strokes that look nothing like their real-life counterparts. Hope it is better this time.

flyinghippos101
05-15-2011, 07:32 AM
To the experts here:

What is the new game like? I got Topspin 3 but was unhappy with the jerky player movements and unrealistic strokes that look nothing like their real-life counterparts. Hope it is better this time.

It's a major overhaul from TS 3. The game is definitely more fun, accessible and easy to pick up while still maintaining a level of difficulty that should satisfy Top Spin veterans. Player movement and strokes have improved a lot, the slice for example looks much more realistic.

FedExpress 333
05-15-2011, 08:47 AM
anyone wanna play on 360? rainingamoeba79..

aphex
05-17-2011, 03:29 AM
What level are you guys playing it at?

jlan
05-17-2011, 07:11 AM
What level are you guys playing it at?

I play Expert when I can't find anyone online to play, but it's way too easy. Finding a match in 2K Open takes forever now, and when I do find one, it lasts no more than 5 min or they just quit out.

MichaelNadal
05-17-2011, 02:33 PM
I play Expert when I can't find anyone online to play, but it's way too easy. Finding a match in 2K Open takes forever now, and when I do find one, it lasts no more than 5 min or they just quit out.

That 6-2, 6-3 we had was nice :)

jlan
05-17-2011, 02:44 PM
That 6-2, 6-3 we had was nice :)

Yeah, I always have more fun playing you than randoms in 2K Open. Even the guys on top of the list there are pretty garbage.

BTW, baked potatoes lead to bagels! Haha ;)

backhander
05-18-2011, 12:50 AM
Just once, i'd like to play an online match that was somewhat realistic. I'm sick of playing...

1) Nadal's who do nothing but hit acute angles and topspin to the corners.....sure he plays like this in real life but cmon, every point shouldn't be a corner to corner run to see who can hit the biggest angles. I thought at first maybe i sucked, but then i played with Nadal and did the same thing, i think the game made him too much better in term of shots, the guy never hits a shot out and can literally hit the deepest corners....kind of not fair, that's why everyone uses him

2) Players who play the same shots over and over....i played a Chang who did nothing but drop shots every single time, even on serve, i'm probably sore cause I lost but it was cheap play. Some people do nothing but slice to force you to hit out.

3) Why is Becker so overpowered?

I know lol, I sound like I am a sore loser....I kind of am, it's just frustrating playing some people sometimes. Also does it seem like sometimes your player just decides to play badly at times? Like hits balls out for no reason, or just stuck feet on the ground so he can't run to the ball in time?

jlan
05-18-2011, 07:57 AM
Just once, i'd like to play an online match that was somewhat realistic. I'm sick of playing...

1) Nadal's who do nothing but hit acute angles and topspin to the corners.....sure he plays like this in real life but cmon, every point shouldn't be a corner to corner run to see who can hit the biggest angles. I thought at first maybe i sucked, but then i played with Nadal and did the same thing, i think the game made him too much better in term of shots, the guy never hits a shot out and can literally hit the deepest corners....kind of not fair, that's why everyone uses him

2) Players who play the same shots over and over....i played a Chang who did nothing but drop shots every single time, even on serve, i'm probably sore cause I lost but it was cheap play. Some people do nothing but slice to force you to hit out.

3) Why is Becker so overpowered?

I know lol, I sound like I am a sore loser....I kind of am, it's just frustrating playing some people sometimes. Also does it seem like sometimes your player just decides to play badly at times? Like hits balls out for no reason, or just stuck feet on the ground so he can't run to the ball in time?

1) I have not yet lost to a Nadal user and I've played him the most. Do not use flat shots. Top spin and slice with sharp angles and hit him deep. If you're getting pushed around, use control shots to place the ball deep. If all that isn't working, just hit it down the middle of the court. Vary it with slices and top spin, making sure you hit deep and short to keep him guessing. He has no angles to work with if you do this.

2) I've played that exact same guy using Chang twice. All he did was drop shot and he was damn good at it. Still, his cheap tactics didn't work on me. When he drop shots you, drop shot it back. Slice him deep and top spin him deep. He always made UE on deep shots off the baseline because he has no time to prepare for the dropper.

3) Becker has actually been toned down since the first update that made aces harder to hit. Before that, he was tougher to play. If he comes to net, short slice him so he can only volley up. Hit angled shots if he's still at net or just lob him. From the baseline just do what I said for Nadal.

I don't think most people who play this game realize there's actually a "turbo" button where you can get to the ball faster. I'm not gonna post it, but it's REALLY easy to figure out.

What's your PSN? I can play you and show you exactly what I'm talking about and how to beat these types of players.

EDIT: I just saw you play this for 360. It's weird how there's another Chang user there who does the exact same thing as a guy on PS3.

kyle
05-18-2011, 08:52 AM
I am enjoying the game but I also really do find the shift to "GOD" mode when you hit the semi-finals of a Grand Slam event frustrating. I really hope they address this in a patch--though my reading of the description of the patch suggests that this will not be addressed.

I play on the normal level--what I think I am going to start doing is playing on the very hard level and at least getting more satisfying games early in the tournament. Then, if I feel like it, setting the game to easy mode for the last two rounds. This is not the most satisfying experience though.

Have also started laying more exibition matches while I hope that this bug is fixed.

lonux
05-18-2011, 10:17 AM
Hey, you guys should record some matches. I do want to see you guys play! :)

flyinghippos101
05-18-2011, 10:29 AM
Dont know how many of us here actually have an hd pvr, i sure dont. Otherwise, any sort of match recording with be from a cam on the tv

jlan
05-18-2011, 11:43 AM
Hey, you guys should record some matches. I do want to see you guys play! :)

Dont know how many of us here actually have an hd pvr, i sure dont. Otherwise, any sort of match recording with be from a cam on the tv

I can record some matches with my camera. I'll play some 2K Open later today and put them on the Tube :)

backhander
05-18-2011, 12:17 PM
1) I have not yet lost to a Nadal user and I've played him the most. Do not use flat shots. Top spin and slice with sharp angles and hit him deep. If you're getting pushed around, use control shots to place the ball deep. If all that isn't working, just hit it down the middle of the court. Vary it with slices and top spin, making sure you hit deep and short to keep him guessing. He has no angles to work with if you do this.

2) I've played that exact same guy using Chang twice. All he did was drop shot and he was damn good at it. Still, his cheap tactics didn't work on me. When he drop shots you, drop shot it back. Slice him deep and top spin him deep. He always made UE on deep shots off the baseline because he has no time to prepare for the dropper.

3) Becker has actually been toned down since the first update that made aces harder to hit. Before that, he was tougher to play. If he comes to net, short slice him so he can only volley up. Hit angled shots if he's still at net or just lob him. From the baseline just do what I said for Nadal.

I don't think most people who play this game realize there's actually a "turbo" button where you can get to the ball faster. I'm not gonna post it, but it's REALLY easy to figure out.

What's your PSN? I can play you and show you exactly what I'm talking about and how to beat these types of players.

EDIT: I just saw you play this for 360. It's weird how there's another Chang user there who does the exact same thing as a guy on PS3.

Thanks jlan, I appreciate the tips, i have the game on 360 so no PS3 tag. I'll just keep practicing, and will try and figure out this turbo button lol.

MichaelNadal
05-18-2011, 01:17 PM
I can't stand playing people that are good with Nadal. The angles even when I hit a shot he shouldn't reach are ridiculous. I'd rather play a good Roddick.

jlan
05-18-2011, 01:32 PM
Thanks jlan, I appreciate the tips, i have the game on 360 so no PS3 tag. I'll just keep practicing, and will try and figure out this turbo button lol.

No problem, I hope they help you and anyone else out :)

I've been trying to find a match online for the last 45 min, but I'm getting nothing. I really wanted to record a couple of matches too. I'll just try again later.

jlan
05-18-2011, 02:37 PM
Alright, I managed to record a couple of matches. I didn't play particularly well (camera pressure! lol), but still double bagled all of them :twisted: I'll upload the vids later.

MichaelNadal
05-18-2011, 04:53 PM
Alright, I managed to record a couple of matches. I didn't play particularly well (camera pressure! lol), but still double bagled all of them :twisted: I'll upload the vids later.

What a show off. My goal is to do better than 2 and 3 against u next time. When u bageled me I really was eating a baked potato :)
And about the 45 min wait, yeah it sucks, PSN killed off so many people. It was BOOMING before it went down.

flyinghippos101
05-18-2011, 06:44 PM
What a show off. My goal is to do better than 2 and 3 against u next time. When u bageled me I really was eating a baked potato :)
And about the 45 min wait, yeah it sucks, PSN killed off so many people. It was BOOMING before it went down.

I heard there are still servers that are down around the world, that's probably why. I don't know about you, but the number of users on XBL playing Top Spin 4 usually only peaks at 800 (I read the # of players online stat on the bottom scrolling messages on world tour) was it as low as this on the PS3?

jlan
05-18-2011, 06:44 PM

lol just let me know whenever you wanna play. Waiting in a lobby online now is torture. I'll try to go for a true bagel next time ;)

MichaelNadal
05-18-2011, 07:01 PM
lol just let me know whenever you wanna play. Waiting in a lobby online now is torture. I'll try to go for a true bagel next time ;)

Im on now :)

jlan
05-19-2011, 09:44 AM
I tried uploading a whole match, but kept getting errors halfway through. Ended up just cropping the best point :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb5wGDLB-18

MichaelNadal
05-19-2011, 10:22 AM
I tried uploading a whole match, but kept getting errors halfway through. Ended up just cropping the best point :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sb5wGDLB-18

Is that the IW arena?

jlan
05-19-2011, 10:34 AM
Is that the IW arena?

Yup. I actually got annoyed after that and didn't let him win a point until near the end of the match lol.

MichaelNadal
05-19-2011, 04:37 PM
Yup. I actually got annoyed after that and didn't let him win a point until near the end of the match lol.

Your backspin slice is deadly. I dunno how you do it. It travels so FAST to where I can reach it, and then the backspin makes it die even if I do get close.

jlan
05-19-2011, 05:01 PM
Your backspin slice is deadly. I dunno how you do it. It travels so FAST to where I can reach it, and then the backspin makes it die even if I do get close.

It's all in the analog stick rotation lol. I didn't notice how loud I pressed and rotated them until I recorded myself playing.

Lionheart
05-20-2011, 11:34 AM
Hey jlan, I'd be up for a game against you since I'm also having trouble finding a competitive game lol. My user name is Tomas_BR, let me know if you want a game ;)

MichaelNadal
05-20-2011, 12:02 PM
Hey jlan, I'd be up for a game against you since I'm also having trouble finding a competitive game lol. My user name is Tomas_BR, let me know if you want a game ;)

Let me know how your bagels taste :twisted:

jlan
05-20-2011, 02:22 PM

Sure! I just sent you a friend request.

Let me know how your bagels taste :twisted::twisted:

Lionheart
05-20-2011, 02:33 PM
I've accepted it just now! I'll be online for at least another hour or so if you wanna play.

jlan
05-20-2011, 02:41 PM
I've accepted it just now! I'll be online for at least another hour or so if you wanna play.

Alright be on in 5 min :)

Lionheart
05-20-2011, 04:06 PM
Nice matches man.

Lost both, 6-0 6-3 and 7-5 6-3.

I was having trouble establishing a pattern in the first match and jlan was running everything down, some amazing gets...

Then in the second match I waste set point at 5-4 and lose the set with an unforced error.

Some of the very best points I've played in this game and as I've already told you via pm, I'll win next ;)

MichaelNadal
05-20-2011, 04:13 PM
Lol if you played a 7-5 set with Jlan, you're pretty amazing man! At least u did eat a bagel too :)

Lionheart
05-20-2011, 04:16 PM
Haha, your comment was the first thing that came to my mind in the end of that first set.

I also found out that I'm abusing the flat shot, opening angles to him and of course he doesn't miss a chance (guess it's a bad habit from playing so many easy matches...)

jlan
05-20-2011, 04:21 PM
Nice matches man.

Lost both, 6-0 6-3 and 7-5 6-3.

I was having trouble establishing a pattern in the first match and jlan was running everything down, some amazing gets...

Then in the second match I waste set point at 5-4 and lose the set with an unforced error.

Some of the very best points I've played in this game and as I've already told you via pm, I'll win next ;)

That was the toughest match I've had in a while. Fed's crosscourt angled backhand was CRAZY. Most of the Federers I've played I could absolutely abuse their backhand side, but you handled everything pretty routinely and hit it back even better.

I should have lost the first set in the second match. I played too many dumb shots and your strategy was working real well. I think when I started to slice a lot more it threw you off a bit.

I'll be on later tonight if you wanna go at it again :)

Lol if you played a 7-5 set with Jlan, you're pretty amazing man! At least u did eat a bagel too :)

I had to work really hard for that bagel. I was hungry! lol. But seriously, he's very very good!

MichaelNadal
05-20-2011, 04:30 PM
Lionheart im adding u. Ncmoviefan.

Lionheart
05-20-2011, 04:37 PM
Ok, I'll accept you tomorrow though. It's already 2 am where I am so off to bed.

Zildite
05-21-2011, 02:18 AM
Is anyone good at making CAP's for real players?
I've seen pictures of good Soderlings, Monfils' and some others but I can never get the face right in expert editor :(:oops::mad:

Mansewerz
05-21-2011, 04:43 PM
What do all of the skills mean? Like what is "fatality'?

Zildite
05-21-2011, 05:09 PM
It tells you in the coach list pages, and maybe somewhere else I think, but here is a reference list...
http://i.imgur.com/L4D0J.jpg

Some of them I didn't find much of a noticeable difference, like the serve and shot counters. Drop shot artist gives you more room for error I think, but I didn't see any 'better' droppers. Poisoned slices is hard to notice too I find.

Clay lover
05-22-2011, 08:47 AM
Got my copy of Topspin 4 yesterday and have to say I am impressed. No more stupid risk shots and advanced shots, jsut straight on tennis. The game punishes shots with bad timing more severely than its predecessors, which is good because it makes the game more realistic. The new advanced serve mechanism is easy and useful too. The career mode is nice and short minus the long grueling matches required in Topspin 3 and 2, and it gives you the choice of difficulty! Playing hard now and barely winning, hope I can get good enough to play very hard soon! My only gripe about the career mode is the limitations to which you can develop your player. Now it is a level-up system instead of a free stat build-up system which I prefer, as I want to recreate my favorite players. Also, why do created players ALWAYS have to be worse than the default players? I don't get it...they should reward you for completeing the career mode after all...

If only they made player movement and strokes more fluid....that's the only thing where Topspin 4 falls short of VT4

jamesblakefan#1
05-22-2011, 08:58 AM
Got my copy of Topspin 4 yesterday and have to say I am impressed. No more stupid risk shots and advanced shots, jsut straight on tennis. The game punishes shots with bad timing more severely than its predecessors, which is good because it makes the game more realistic. The new advanced serve mechanism is easy and useful too. The career mode is nice and short minus the long grueling matches required in Topspin 3 and 2, and it gives you the choice of difficulty! Playing hard now and barely winning, hope I can get good enough to play very hard soon! My only gripe about the career mode is the limitations to which you can develop your player. Now it is a level-up system instead of a free stat build-up system which I prefer, as I want to recreate my favorite players. Also, why do created players ALWAYS have to be worse than the default players? I don't get it...they should reward you for completeing the career mode after all...

If only they made player movement and strokes more fluid....that's the only thing where Topspin 4 falls short of VT4

Once you reach level 20 with your first created player, any player you create after that starts out at level 20.

Clay lover
05-22-2011, 06:46 PM
Once you reach level 20 with your first created player, any player you create after that starts out at level 20.

OOOOOoh, thanks for the info.

Sid_Vicious
05-22-2011, 08:36 PM
Won the AO. Tanked the FO because it was almost impossible to serve and volley on clay.

I love this game.

MichaelNadal
05-22-2011, 10:55 PM
Won the AO. Tanked the FO because it was almost impossible to serve and volley on clay.

I love this game.

It's so good, and it's very accurate how the different courts and surfaces feel.

tennisfarmer
05-23-2011, 05:23 PM
Anyone have this for PS3 if so add me:

DES_3000

Clay lover
05-24-2011, 03:48 AM
Murray on very hard annoys the hell out of me, he just keeps on doing these short angles crosscourt over and over again when hes defending which draws you inside the court and then goes deep DTL if you go crosscourt on him, annoying lil' pusher. Nadal is a similar crosscourt freak but he's less annoying since he's willing to go deep most of the time making recovery easier for me. Djokovic beats you with that consistent depth and excellent returns.

Interestingly though Fed and the others in v hard are easy enough.

Nexus Vapour
05-24-2011, 07:14 AM
if anyone has an xbox and wants to play add me Nexus Buzz

Clay lover
05-24-2011, 09:23 AM
Just beat Simon on very hard with a Del Potro player I made-4:3 3:4 3:1

Simon is insane, crazy angles just like Murray. I thought it was a mental thing that the CPU gets better when you are winning, how wrong I was, Simon was blasting winners into the deep and short corners at will when down breakpoint.

jlan
05-24-2011, 09:50 AM
Clay lover, you have PSN?

Clay lover
05-24-2011, 09:53 AM

Sorry mate, I'm an Xboxer:)

tennisfarmer
05-24-2011, 10:42 AM

I have PSN: DES_3000

jlan
05-24-2011, 11:17 AM
Sorry mate, I'm an Xboxer:)

Aww alright. You should try playing on XBL. Human competition is so much more fun :)

I have PSN: DES_3000

Cool, I added you. Let's have a match sometime!

mrtrinh
05-24-2011, 11:51 AM
just picked up the game yday. add me on psn: mrtrinh22

tennisfarmer
05-24-2011, 12:15 PM
Cool, I added you. Let's have a match sometime![/QUOTE]

wow, lets never speak of this tragic experience:shock:

tennisfarmer
05-24-2011, 12:16 PM
Cool, I added you. Let's have a match sometime!

jlan
05-24-2011, 12:26 PM
just picked up the game yday. add me on psn: mrtrinh22

Added you :)

My lips are sealed! GG

FedExpress 333
05-24-2011, 07:38 PM
If anyone like clay lover wants to play on XBL, then add me: RainingAmoeba79. Say ur from TE, thoough, or else il think ur a stalker...

jamesblakefan#1
05-24-2011, 07:53 PM
delete......

MichaelNadal
05-24-2011, 08:04 PM
Glad to see business is picking back up online in this game on ps3.

Zildite
05-24-2011, 08:18 PM
So the numbers are filling up now?
I have that problem that a lot of other people seem to have with seeing a good number of people 'waiting' but then no one shows up in the lobby before the countdown reaches zero most of the time. Trying to get more into online stuff now after kicking around in single player...

PSN is DeimosClay - hope to play some TW'ers :)

jamesblakefan#1
05-24-2011, 08:46 PM
I'm tired of this game now, at least for online play. Too many exploits, and my gamestyle is pretty hard to play effectively online. I made a balanced sim type player, but everyone else it seems is overpowered. I want to have fun, not play a bunch of exploits. Slice is easy to exploit, topspin overpowered, NOT ENOUGH UNFORCED ERRORS! Speed doesn't matter, 60 speed can still run down balls like Nadal and hit winners on the run. I'm just sick of this game and will take a break from it until 2K patches/balances these issues.

MichaelNadal
05-24-2011, 08:54 PM
So the numbers are filling up now?
I have that problem that a lot of other people seem to have with seeing a good number of people 'waiting' but then no one shows up in the lobby before the countdown reaches zero most of the time. Trying to get more into online stuff now after kicking around in single player...

PSN is DeimosClay - hope to play some TW'ers :)

I'll add u and play u now if ur on. (ncmoviefan)

norbac
05-26-2011, 03:02 PM
Thinking of getting this. Is the gameplay still as slow and boring as Topspin 3 though?

flyinghippos101
05-26-2011, 03:38 PM
I'm tired of this game now, at least for online play. Too many exploits, and my gamestyle is pretty hard to play effectively online. I made a balanced sim type player, but everyone else it seems is overpowered. I want to have fun, not play a bunch of exploits. Slice is easy to exploit, topspin overpowered, NOT ENOUGH UNFORCED ERRORS! Speed doesn't matter, 60 speed can still run down balls like Nadal and hit winners on the run. I'm just sick of this game and will take a break from it until 2K patches/balances these issues.

This, unfortunately.

In addition to the annoyances mentioned above, the new leveling system does absolutely NOTHING when it comes to balancing issues. People can still just as easily place all 20 of their levels on their offensive values and boom, you have a tank on court that can return almost every shot at 110 mph speeds with 100% accuracy

MichaelNadal
05-26-2011, 04:01 PM
I dunno, I pretty much at least feel competitive in every match. Except when I play jlan :p

jlan
05-26-2011, 06:26 PM
I dunno, I pretty much at least feel competitive in every match. Except when I play jlan :p

Hehe :) I think you played better with Djokovic. Becker isn't as good after the update and Djokovic is much better in every department except volleys.

On another note, I almost lost the other day. Played a Djokovic user and was down 0-3, 0-2 with him serving for the match. I managed to win the set and shut him out in the super tie-break. Final score 0-3, 4-2, 10-0 :twisted:

jamesblakefan#1
05-26-2011, 07:00 PM

I'm talking about playing w/ created guys. 2K open is still pretty okay since no pro is completely overpowered, outside of maybe Nadal and Roddick, but they're still beatable. On World Tour it's pretty frustrating. 9/10 players use topspin invasion/monster defense coach, since that skill set is the best one and is overpowered.

It's at the point now where ITST has banned it for the time being, since it's obviously overpowered. But on World Tour you pretty much have to play an opponent w/ this coach every match, or at least 3/5 matches. They all play the same - serve out wide, top spin every shot, no unforced errors. It's pretty bad, to me even worse than playing a maxed out power guy.

jlan
05-26-2011, 07:36 PM
I'm talking about playing w/ created guys. 2K open is still pretty okay since no pro is completely overpowered, outside of maybe Nadal and Roddick, but they're still beatable. On World Tour it's pretty frustrating. 9/10 players use topspin invasion/monster defense coach, since that skill set is the best one and is overpowered.

It's at the point now where ITST has banned it for the time being, since it's obviously overpowered. But on World Tour you pretty much have to play an opponent w/ this coach every match, or at least 3/5 matches. They all play the same - serve out wide, top spin every shot, no unforced errors. It's pretty bad, to me even worse than playing a maxed out power guy.

The only time I've played World Tour was to get the Level 15 trophy/achievement lol. Does it still have connection issues like when the game first came out? By that I mean the game would freeze when you're in the lobby as it's filling up with opponents. It did that almost all the time for me and gave me a loss. Haven't played it since March.

I played ITST for TS2 and TS3. It's good competition, but scheduling matches with people from different countries was a drag. Most of the time they wouldn't go on as scheduled and argued a lot.

jlan
05-27-2011, 01:13 PM
I have a little bit of bad news (for myself anyway). I was supposed to win the 2K Open contest for the trip to the US Open this year, but due to technical issues as well as the PSN hack, all of that data was corrupted. Instead, they're having a new contest to replace it. SUCKS! At least they're sending me something, but I really wanted to go to the USO!

MichaelNadal
05-27-2011, 03:28 PM
Hehe :) I think you played better with Djokovic. Becker isn't as good after the update and Djokovic is much better in every department except volleys.

On another note, I almost lost the other day. Played a Djokovic user and was down 0-3, 0-2 with him serving for the match. I managed to win the set and shut him out in the super tie-break. Final score 0-3, 4-2, 10-0 :twisted:

Lol, DAMN! I know he threw his controller afterwards :p

JeMar
05-27-2011, 06:38 PM
I definitely experienced the 'god mode' that the CPU has once you hit a slam semi. On Very Hard, made it to AO SF after beating Murray in 5 and Davydenko in 3.

Face Blake who I'd beaten in Paris indoors in straights, and lose the first 8 games b/c he's in GOAT mode and not missing anything. Ended up losing 6-0, 6-3, 6-2 or something like that, Blake had something ridiculous like 70/5 W/UE ratio.

Online is definitely the better challenge as long as you're not playing the cheesers who put all their skills into one category.

Oh good, I thought I was the only one that was experiencing that. This is dumb. I recently found out that there's an expert mode available that you can unlock, so I've been trying to win a grand slam, but I had the misfortune of running into freaking RODDICK at Roland Garros. The guy has me running around like he's Borg and Nadal's lovechild tennis prodigy. He serves huge, returns huge, doesn't miss, hits line after line after line after line, and defends like 2011 Djokovic. The closest I've ever come was losing 2-4, 3-4. This is so frustrating!

dcdoorknob
05-28-2011, 06:53 AM
yeah, the silly slam semi thing has basically ruined career mode for me completely. The gap in CPU level was big enough that I still couldn't win a slam (or WTF, etc) semi even when I was winning every other match of the year while hardly dropping games. So I was either playing a match that I had no chance of losing (boring) or, every once in a while, getting thrashed by the exact same players in the semis. I lost interest at that point. I can just play some exibition matches to try and get better against a CPU without all the boring, too easy matches mixed in there.

By the way, I'm pretty sure that it just ups the CPU's level one mode in slam semis, as playing Murray in a slam SF on hard seems pretty much the same as playing him on very hard in exhibition mode. I imagine when you are playing a slam SF/F on very hard, you are actually already playing the CPU on expert level, which will unlock expert level if you win lol.

I only got this game just barely before the network went down. I'll likely try out the online play sometime in the near future.

UkeSoap
05-28-2011, 08:44 AM
Anyone know what kind of DLC they could implement into the game?

Zildite
05-28-2011, 02:45 PM
More characters ? (ex: Soderling, Sharapova)
More racquets and gear?
More special venues?

Might depend on licensing to get a lot of that stuff... :|

If you want expert mode but can't win on VH, there is a workaround where you can start out on a lower difficulty then change to VH in the post match menu after the final. Expert will be unlocked.
It's not impossible to win the grand slams, just have to keep trying until you get good enough/work out a strategy.

I am frustrated by some of the trophies/achievements.
Can't get 100% in the unlock overview because of the Agassi preorder redeem code thing (only got that and the 'win 5 matches in 2K Open' left).
Also the trophy 'Anyone Else?', where you have to beat all 25 licensed players. I am sure that should be unlocked by now...Beat all the male pros in career + dream matches and made sure I beat all the women. Unless there is one that got overlooked I don't know what's happening :-?

rovex
05-28-2011, 02:51 PM
I have a little bit of bad news (for myself anyway). I was supposed to win the 2K Open contest for the trip to the US Open this year, but due to technical issues as well as the PSN hack, all of that data was corrupted. Instead, they're having a new contest to replace it. SUCKS! At least they're sending me something, but I really wanted to go to the USO!

What's your name on PS3?

bezs
05-29-2011, 12:56 AM
Why does it take so long to set up matches on the 2K open now?

Clay lover
05-29-2011, 05:55 AM
General strategy guide vs very hard CPUs in career mode and CPUs in slam semis:

This is only a guide for offensive/defensive baseliners because I cannot volley to save my life.

Overall tips:
*Serve- If you don't have too strong a serve, always do a slice serve wide to the deuce court and a kick serve wide to the ad court, this will really pull the CPU away from the court and force a weak reply. I personally mix it up down the T sometimes as if I am playing a human opponent, but actually wide serves usually do the job.

If you have a strong serve, especially when you are with the serve stick berserker coach, you can basically get all aces on your service games by standing in the middle and serving down the T. Also, the slice serve down the T is very effective at aceing CPUs if you are a right hander serving to the ad court or vice versa.

*Groundstrokes- Using topspin or flat shots is a matter of personal choice unless you have topspin invasion coach, but in some situations it'd be better to use one instead of the other.

Pressure can be exerted on the CPU if you hit deep to a corner . This is especially important when you face pushers like Murray and Simon. A deep flat shot can force a short return or even draw an error, and you can then rip the ball into the opening for a winner.

How to handle extreme angled shots- Guys like Simon and Murray love to exploit the short angles and sometimes going down the line is not an option as they have it covered. It is important then to crosscourt the shot back with topspin to the opposite short corner. Topspin provides you with the angle and when executed perfectly may pull the CPU out of position and even make a winner. Whether you stay back or move in to return that annoying shot is your choice, staying back puts you into a better position to cover the DTL but moving in gives you more chance for an angled winner.

Go crosscourt!- I cannot stress the important of crosscourt shots. Some players love to go DTL non stop until they hit a winner. That is not the case vs tough CPU opponents, hitting crosscourt gives more margin for error and gives you more time to recover for the next shot. Unless there is an obvious opening for a DTL winner then I advise you keep hitting crosscourt until there is an opening for you to exploit the extreme angle or hit a winner DTL.

Timing and power shots- Perfect timing is very, very important too. The quality of the shot depends on your timing and your perfect shots will have better placement as well as power. I am not a fan of precision shots unless I really run out of time as I find them hard to time. If you have enough time, why not hit with more power?

Returning and slices- I am not a fan of slices as the CPU seems to have no problem with it, unless you have poisoned slices...Don't ever return serves with slices, they float and the CPU will kill the ball. When you return it's better to topspin it deep to the CPU's weak wing (depends who the player is).

*Movement
IMO the most important aspect when it comes to beating tough CPU opponents. You have to know when to move back and when to move in.

Moving diagonally backwards gives you more time to get to a shot hit deep to one corner compared to just moving laterally. What you shouldn't do is move back too much when a ball is hit deep right at you- Do not fear to hit the ball on the rise as it robs the CPU of time and trust me, hitting on the rise is much easier in this game than in real life.

When the ball drops short move in to go for a flat shot winner. If you stay back and try to charge up and hit a winner from there, chances are the rally will become neutral again.

This is probably the most important tip-After you go for a crosscourt shot, DON'T use the repositioning button, don't do it manually either. I personally find the repositioning button to be bull. When you hit a crosscourt shot there is always a possiblity that the CPU hits an even more extreme angled shot back to you, that's why you would be a DUMBASS to move back into the center and get wrong footed. Just move slightly towards the centre-very slightly and expect the ball to comeback crosscourt again, even if the CPU hits DTL, chances are your character will be quick enough to cover the shot and hit it back crosscourt into the opening.

Volleying-I suck at volleying too much to comment on that.

I've won in the Wimby and USO against very hard comp and the World Finals (Davis Cup?) with a Safin player I created.
His stats are roughly:
FH 71
BH 81
SRV 85
PW 86
MVMT 54?

Tips against different players to come soon.

FedExpress 333
05-29-2011, 05:34 PM
Anyone here play ITST?

Barfy
05-30-2011, 10:41 AM
Just got the game yesterday. I know timing is important in tennis but damn I'm stuck on the academy lesson on timing. Maybe I'm just a noob and gotta get used to it

SStrikerR
05-30-2011, 11:24 AM
Just a question: Do real life pros ever lose to the randomly generated players? In every tournament I've been in, all the pros advance until they start playing each other. Do they ever get upset, or is it just very rare?

Oh yeah, and when you lose a match in career, do you restart and try again, or accept the loss?

Clay lover
05-30-2011, 06:21 PM
Just a question: Do real life pros ever lose to the randomly generated players? In every tournament I've been in, all the pros advance until they start playing each other. Do they ever get upset, or is it just very rare?

Oh yeah, and when you lose a match in career, do you restart and try again, or accept the loss?

No, real-life pros always advance to the later stage of tournaments, you can tell by their relative difficulty that real life pros have NO chance of losing the the random players.

I accept the loss, a loss is a loss...

SStrikerR
05-31-2011, 07:48 PM
Well if the random players have no chance, why do their matches with the pros go to 5 sets in slams almost every time? Is it a predetermined loss, with just a randomly generated score? Or will one of those scrubs eventually win the 5th set 14-12 instead of losing it? I'm always interested in looking at the draws in real life, if I know I'll never see anything interesting I'll just stop looking in-game.

Zildite
06-01-2011, 10:41 AM
Almost all the CPU matches go to deciding sets and most of those are tight no matter who is playing, its just the way it was programmed I guess.
The upsets can come between pros, like I've had Wawrinka reach the WTF final and Davydenko as a Wimbledon finalist.
Edit: I think Tomic can lose to randoms

kyle
06-01-2011, 10:53 AM
Just got the game yesterday. I know timing is important in tennis but damn I'm stuck on the academy lesson on timing. Maybe I'm just a noob and gotta get used to it

I am also a new player and I had some trouble understaning the instructions. But I believe that until you get good, you should be releasing the shot button when the ball is hitting the 'X' mark. The worst that happens is that you will be hitting too early and I believe the game tutorial says that this is better than releasing too late

cnr1guy
06-01-2011, 11:25 AM
I recently bout TS4 and have been playing online matches only and have to wonder who these whackadoos are who have racked up some 3000 points... I have 96 points and have been playing for about a month now.

Barfy
06-01-2011, 05:23 PM
At first I thought I would suck but I got the hang of it and am doing fine in career mode now. I will wait until I get better to take a crack at online

MichaelNadal
06-01-2011, 07:51 PM
At first I thought I would suck but I got the hang of it and am doing fine in career mode now. I will wait until I get better to take a crack at online

We'll be waiting :twisted:

Nextman916
06-01-2011, 09:36 PM
How much would you guys pay for a copy of Top Spin 4? Thinking about purchasing, just wondering how much the game is worth...

MichaelNadal
06-01-2011, 09:42 PM
How much would you guys pay for a copy of Top Spin 4? Thinking about purchasing, just wondering how much the game is worth...

I paid full price and it was worth it, but check amazon.

jamesblakefan#1
06-03-2011, 04:52 PM
Decided to use my Ivo Karlovic on World Tour. It's pretty fun to just bomb aces on guys. The only thing is that since speed doesn't matter enough, I don't really get penalized for having such a low speed stat. Anyone want some of Dr. Ivo? :D

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2451/5795267406_cc8181eda8.jpg

FWIW here's my 'sim' guy.

http://farm3.static.flickr.com/2233/5795285426_f8f6cf9fb0.jpg

Bundey
06-03-2011, 06:26 PM
Hey I was thinking about getting this game so I just looked some vids up on youtube... one weird thing I noticed is that sometimes players who have a platform serve will use pinpoint. Even sampras.... what is up with that.

FedExpress 333
06-03-2011, 06:42 PM
Hey I was thinking about getting this game so I just looked some vids up on youtube... one weird thing I noticed is that sometimes players who have a platform serve will use pinpoint. Even sampras.... what is up with that.

Ya, its pretty sad...... they have like 2 animations and theyre to lazy to even try to make the players accurate.

accidental
06-05-2011, 07:55 PM
Ya, its pretty sad...... they have like 2 animations and theyre to lazy to even try to make the players accurate.

I agree. This was easily the most disappointing aspect of this game for me. Why did they make Federer serve with the pinpoint stance? and why did they make even fewer animations than in previous games? And the whole serve volley moderator thing is ridiculous since it completely changes the way the player serves and makes it incredibly obvious and useless

flyinghippos101
06-06-2011, 11:27 AM
Anyone trying out this new patch? Played a few games on world tour and I'm hitting loads of errors now. You can totally feel every shank now.

jlan
06-06-2011, 01:46 PM
Anyone trying out this new patch? Played a few games on world tour and I'm hitting loads of errors now. You can totally feel every shank now.

Yup, I played a couple of matches since the update. It has changed the style of play now and I don't like it at all. Although it does make matches and points more realistic with higher fatigue rate and errors, it takes away A LOT from the competitive gameplay of more skilled players. Instead of winning points with strategy, points are decided by fatigue and errors now. I think you'll be seeing EVEN MORE Nadal users in 2K Open. Stamina plays a big part now and you can just tire out the player with less stamina as their shots will have nothing on them anymore.

Sharp angles are heavily decreased now. If you're good, you can neutralize those shots easily and even hit a better angled return. Now they just noobed it up.

I'm just ranting and hating right now about my first impressions of the new update, but I'm sure with more matches I'll get used to it.

MichaelNadal
06-06-2011, 01:58 PM
Hmm, time for me to get on and try it.

MichaelNadal
06-06-2011, 02:30 PM
Update: I hate it, im spraying errors all over the place. My opponent seems to not be hitting ANY. I can't stand this now.