PDA

View Full Version : Top Spin 4 Discussion Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 [5] 6

Fuji
08-11-2011, 08:05 PM
Hey all, if anyone is interested in playing I'm going online now!

PSN: As_Bold_As_Lions

I can play for an hour or two! :)

-Fuji

MichaelNadal
08-12-2011, 12:03 AM
Wasn't sure whether to start another thread or not, but EA has announced Grand Slam Tennis 2 for the 360/PS3/Wii.

http://www.operationsports.com/news/501850/ea-sports-grand-slam-tennis-2-comes-to-the-playstation-3-and-xbox-360/
http://www.ea.com/grand-slam-tennis-2/

Ugh, why must everyone be stuck on kits from 2009? GET WITH IT people.

HiroProtagonist
08-12-2011, 12:53 AM
Ugh, why must everyone be stuck on kits from 2009? GET WITH IT people.

I couldn't agree more, still have Fed with a K90:lol:

The_Question
08-12-2011, 06:27 AM
Wasn't sure whether to start another thread or not, but EA has announced Grand Slam Tennis 2 for the 360/PS3/Wii.

http://www.operationsports.com/news/501850/ea-sports-grand-slam-tennis-2-comes-to-the-playstation-3-and-xbox-360/
http://www.ea.com/grand-slam-tennis-2/

"Real Emotion"! With Fed throwing the K90 on lawn...lmao...

This thing better have the option to use MOVE...

MichaelNadal
08-12-2011, 10:30 AM
I couldn't agree more, still have Fed with a K90:lol:

Im shocked Rafa has the black watch o_O (on ts4)

jlan
08-12-2011, 02:46 PM
Ok I just played the biggest cheater in this game: Kyon82

The guy uses Davydenko and literally runs down EVERY ball. I've played guys like this before, but this guy had weird movement. At one point, he was right next to the crowd as I pushed him wide on the ad court and deep behind the baseline. I hit a perfect drop shot barely over the net on the deuce court. His player stops. I thought he gave up on the point. Next thing I know his player glides down right to the ball and rips a winner past me. No idea how you can take a full cut at the ball when its 2cm off the ground next to the net. And when I say glide, there was no animation at all. His player just moved across the screen. There was no lag at all in our match. I couldn't explain it.

As if I didn't think that was frustrating enough, he played A LOT of drop shots. That wasn't the annoying part. It was that MOST of them hit the net and dropped over to my side. No bounce at all. I've got a few of those before just by sheer luck, but to have that happen over and over again in one match is suspect.

I lost after 3 very very long sets. I messaged him GG after and he said some pretty bad stuff to me, which is weird considering he won :confused:

I've only lost 5 matches total in this game and those people who I did lose to are crazy good. This guy isn't. I'm gonna try to get another match with him and record it.

MichaelNadal
08-14-2011, 06:30 PM
Ok I just played the biggest cheater in this game: Kyon82

The guy uses Davydenko and literally runs down EVERY ball. I've played guys like this before, but this guy had weird movement. At one point, he was right next to the crowd as I pushed him wide on the ad court and deep behind the baseline. I hit a perfect drop shot barely over the net on the deuce court. His player stops. I thought he gave up on the point. Next thing I know his player glides down right to the ball and rips a winner past me. No idea how you can take a full cut at the ball when its 2cm off the ground next to the net. And when I say glide, there was no animation at all. His player just moved across the screen. There was no lag at all in our match. I couldn't explain it.

As if I didn't think that was frustrating enough, he played A LOT of drop shots. That wasn't the annoying part. It was that MOST of them hit the net and dropped over to my side. No bounce at all. I've got a few of those before just by sheer luck, but to have that happen over and over again in one match is suspect.

I lost after 3 very very long sets. I messaged him GG after and he said some pretty bad stuff to me, which is weird considering he won :confused:

I've only lost 5 matches total in this game and those people who I did lose to are crazy good. This guy isn't. I'm gonna try to get another match with him and record it.

That's disgusting!!

tennisoh
08-14-2011, 06:43 PM
If you want to casually play sometime on PS3 I am decent. I have a bluetooth too if you are someone who likes to have a form of communication as well. ---dbu16--- is the name (just the letters and numbers between the ---s)

jlan
08-14-2011, 08:58 PM
That's disgusting!!

I know, right? :twisted:

I really wonder how many matches Ry0lay's lost. I'm thinking less than 3 :shock: His baseline game is too crazy good and then his S&V is even better. I don't get it lol.

MichaelNadal
08-14-2011, 09:53 PM
I know, right? :twisted:

I really wonder how many matches Ry0lay's lost. I'm thinking less than 3 :shock: His baseline game is too crazy good and then his S&V is even better. I don't get it lol.

Lol I doubt Ry0lay has ever lost. I have a new strategy I think will help me win a few more points against you now by the way.

mmaster
08-14-2011, 10:04 PM
hey guys is top spin 4 a motion control game like grand slam tennis?

jlan
08-14-2011, 10:07 PM
Lol I doubt Ry0lay has ever lost. I have a new strategy I think will help me win a few more points against you now by the way.

I like a challenge :twisted:

MichaelNadal
08-14-2011, 10:13 PM
hey guys is top spin 4 a motion control game like grand slam tennis?

You can use it yeah. You'd get slaughtered online for not using the controller though lol.

MichaelNadal
08-15-2011, 10:32 AM
I like a challenge :twisted:

Of course it didn't work, and during the match I realized why... and it's because u were doing the same thing I was trying to do to you, but before I was able to. Damn you! Did u/do you know what im referring to?

jlan
08-15-2011, 12:45 PM
Of course it didn't work, and during the match I realized why... and it's because u were doing the same thing I was trying to do to you, but before I was able to. Damn you! Did u/do you know what im referring to?

Yup, I think I know. Getting to net and hitting drop volleys? You burned me a lot of times with that play before ;)

MichaelNadal
08-15-2011, 12:59 PM
Yup, I think I know. Getting to net and hitting drop volleys? You burned me a lot of times with that play before ;)

Well that's part of it, but also im using a lot of topspin now, but I press down so it bounces about at the service line instead of the baseline and it forces a lot of errors, and u can hit with better angles. Maybe im wrong but it felt like u hit shots the exact same way.

Fuji
08-15-2011, 09:04 PM
Hey all! The other night I played the WIERDEST MATCH I ever have.

It was so freaking weird. It was some "girl" player who had a player who had 70 ground strokes, 95 serve, 95 power, and 50's in other stats. I honestly don't even know how to build it?! I lost 6-4, 4-6, 5-7. The score was so close, but I can't understand it. They aced me for the first few of their service games, but I learned how to time it and where to stand. It was pretty easy after that. Suddenly, the bloody glitchy gliding starts. They serve and whenever I could return it cleanly, they were just clean gliding to the shot. I was hitting super clean drop shots and "Perfect" hard top spin shots corner to corner, and they were running down everything. We had an 97 shot rally of this garbage and it got really annoying.

I lost, but has anyone else played a match like this? It was so crazy. Then to top it off I got messages such as: "U SUX NOOB. GO GETZ A GOODER GAME." "I CANTZ BELVE I W8STD MA T1ME ON U."

Like, seriously? You played with a glitch character and barely win, then send messages that I can barely read? LOL!

Sorry, it was just so ridiculous!

-Fuji

bezs
08-16-2011, 06:22 AM
Lost a close match in a tiebreak once and the person sent me a message saying how i'm a crap player and how i should give up playing. :roll: Clown.

rainingaces
08-16-2011, 06:34 AM
xbox players just post your gamertag mine is YearlongBarley6

rovex
08-16-2011, 07:34 AM
"......"...

MichaelNadal
08-16-2011, 07:51 AM
I can't stand when people quit if they lose a set or you're about to win the match. WTF?? Why play a GAME....... key word: GAME, if you never want to lose? I played a guy last night we had a tight, LONG first set which he won 4-2, a long second set as well which he broke me early and I broke back and won the set 4-2, and then he quit before the super TB. REALLY? You can't play a 10 point tb?

rovex
08-16-2011, 07:56 AM
Send them a kind message venting your displeasure. ;)

jlan
08-16-2011, 10:41 AM
I can't stand when people quit if they lose a set or you're about to win the match. WTF?? Why play a GAME....... key word: GAME, if you never want to lose? I played a guy last night we had a tight, LONG first set which he won 4-2, a long second set as well which he broke me early and I broke back and won the set 4-2, and then he quit before the super TB. REALLY? You can't play a 10 point tb?

I run into these players pretty much every match I play. They'll message me after saying they "lagged out", "had to go", or my favorite "you're a f-ing cheater" lol.

jlan
08-16-2011, 12:19 PM
Just played some idiot named "blackjedy07". He broke me in the first game and messaged me with profanities. I started playing for real and then he quit after he couldn't win a point anymore. He blamed the "bad connection" lol.

Fuji
08-16-2011, 12:29 PM
Just played some idiot named "blackjedy07". He broke me in the first game and messaged me with profanities. I started playing for real and then he quit after he couldn't win a point anymore. He blamed the "bad connection" lol.

Hey bud! Are you free to play a match in around 15-20 minutes? :)

-Fuji

jlan
08-16-2011, 12:33 PM
Hey bud! Are you free to play a match in around 15-20 minutes? :)

-Fuji

Yup I'll play!

rovex
08-16-2011, 01:33 PM
Just played and won an 87 shot rally! :shock:

Has anyone here exceeded that number? My opponent was so distraught afterwards he double faulted twice consecutively hehe.

PSNELKE
08-16-2011, 02:37 PM
Honestly this game doesn´t make any fun right now.
There are indeed few dudes forcing lag, but never really bothered me since there are too many of them.
I´m so ****ed that every second guy I´m winning against simply quits after being down a set or so.
Yesterday there was some clown (I was leading 6-1 5-0 40-0), who simply quit when I served for it.
This game ain´t fun anymore.

MichaelNadal
08-16-2011, 06:08 PM
Just played and won an 87 shot rally! :shock:

Has anyone here exceeded that number? My opponent was so distraught afterwards he double faulted twice consecutively hehe.

My longest rally I think was 40 something. I get 20's and 30's often though.

Honestly this game doesn´t make any fun right now.
There are indeed few dudes forcing lag, but never really bothered me since there are too many of them.
I´m so ****ed that every second guy I´m winning against simply quits after being down a set or so.
Yesterday there was some clown (I was leading 6-1 5-0 40-0), who simply quit when I served for it.
This game ain´t fun anymore.

Yep, happened to me again my last match. I don't know why they don't want a competitive match it's stupid and silly.

Fuji
08-16-2011, 06:20 PM
Yup I'll play!

Thanks for the matches! They were a lot of fun!

I was amazed at how well you hit angles and lob! Some of your ground strokes hit impossible angles! :shock:

I ALMOST started taking games from you with my S&V though! I need to learn how to hit those serves that pick the lines. I still don't know how! :(

-Fuji

flyinghippos101
08-16-2011, 06:34 PM
xbox players just post your gamertag mine is YearlongBarley6

Give me a shout next time you're on XBL. Haven't played in a while though, might be kinda rusty.

GT: flyinghippos101

jlan
08-16-2011, 06:40 PM

I was amazed at how well you hit angles and lob! Some of your ground strokes hit impossible angles! :shock:

I ALMOST started taking games from you with my S&V though! I need to learn how to hit those serves that pick the lines. I still don't know how! :(

-Fuji

GG! I thought your first created player was much more well-rounded. He could do a lot more damage from the baseline which you could have used to finish off points at the net.

Also, it doesn't really matter how hard or close to the lines you can serve in this game. Good returners can just slice it back deep or angle the return. It's more about mixing up the serve and setting up the next shot. I don't know if you noticed, but all my serves had a purpose: to set up for my next shot. Same with my return. I know you were S&V'ing every time with the other guy, so those short chip returns were only making you volley up, setting up a sitter for me.

I know you play tennis in real life too, right? I sort of strategize my game off how I would play the point in real life. Of course, the video game has a lot less errors lol.

Fuji
08-16-2011, 06:50 PM
GG! I thought your first created player was much more well-rounded. He could do a lot more damage from the baseline which you could have used to finish off points at the net.

Also, it doesn't really matter how hard or close to the lines you can serve in this game. Good returners can just slice it back deep or angle the return. It's more about mixing up the serve and setting up the next shot. I don't know if you noticed, but all my serves had a purpose: to set up for my next shot. Same with my return. I know you were S&V'ing every time with the other guy, so those short chip returns were only making you volley up, setting up a sitter for me.

Thanks! :) GG!

That's the thing. My first guy can really pound from the baseline with his near unlimited stamina. He's a total beast for that, the only problem is that I need to get better at using him to get him to finish off those net points.

I saw that! Even when I was hitting those 135MPH serves, you were able to reflect it down the line. It made it so hard to get to the net! Your plans were evil! No matter what I did, I couldn't get a clean first volley no matter how I served. I just couldn't figure out how to get it without chipping back and hitting a great half volley!

Fun games though! We will for sure have to play again! One of these days I'll get a set off you LOL!

-Fuji

jlan
08-16-2011, 08:04 PM
Thanks! :) GG!

That's the thing. My first guy can really pound from the baseline with his near unlimited stamina. He's a total beast for that, the only problem is that I need to get better at using him to get him to finish off those net points.

I saw that! Even when I was hitting those 135MPH serves, you were able to reflect it down the line. It made it so hard to get to the net! Your plans were evil! No matter what I did, I couldn't get a clean first volley no matter how I served. I just couldn't figure out how to get it without chipping back and hitting a great half volley!

Fun games though! We will for sure have to play again! One of these days I'll get a set off you LOL!

-Fuji

Yeah, I definitely have more fun playing players from here instead of online randoms that quit all the time. Play you again soon :twisted:

MichaelNadal
08-16-2011, 10:04 PM

-Fuji

That's how I feel with him lol, I'll have game point, or duece, and just can't seem to win that point.

Fuji
08-16-2011, 10:09 PM
That's how I feel with him lol, I'll have game point, or duece, and just can't seem to win that point.

LOL exactly! I got to ad once, and deuce probably 2-3 times a set, but I only won maybe 3 games the entire time we played. Then the next game he would steam roll me at 40-0! :shock:

-Fuji

jlan
08-16-2011, 10:33 PM

LOL exactly! I got to ad once, and deuce probably 2-3 times a set, but I only won maybe 3 games the entire time we played. Then the next game he would steam roll me at 40-0! :shock:

Not to be an *** or anything, but to be really honest, I always feel I can win the game even if I'm down 0-40. I think I play my best points during those times :D

Fuji
08-17-2011, 08:39 AM
Not to be an *** or anything, but to be really honest, I always feel I can win the game even if I'm down 0-40. I think I play my best points during those times :D

LOL! I could tell. I would be up 30-0, and then you'd own the next 4 points!

-Fuji

Viper
08-17-2011, 10:00 PM
Is anyone else having crazy trouble with unforced errors? Even if I barely tap the stick in one way, often the ball will go out.

Fuji
08-18-2011, 07:49 AM
Is anyone else having crazy trouble with unforced errors? Even if I barely tap the stick in one way, often the ball will go out.

I only have been when playing with the Djoker! Every other player is fine, but as soon as I do anything other then a Control shot with him it's an UE.

-Fuji

cnr1guy
08-18-2011, 01:42 PM
I really suck at this game! The people at the top of the leader board must not do anything else with their time.

rdis10093
08-18-2011, 01:44 PM
I really suck at this game! The people at the top of the leader board must not do anything else with their time.

not really, there is just a little bit of a learning curve.

bezs
08-18-2011, 03:32 PM
not really, there is just a little bit of a learning curve.

The curve is neverending for me than. :p

Fuji
08-19-2011, 09:44 AM
The curve is neverending for me than. :p

LOL! Actually I wasn't that great until I started playing online. Once you play for honestly 5-6 hours online, you get the hang of it really fast.

-Fuji

MichaelNadal
08-19-2011, 02:50 PM
Who is Tomas_BR? I felt like I should have done so much better than I just did. I had a break point in almost every one of his service games and just couldn't win the important points. Lost 6-1, 6-2.

Lionheart
08-19-2011, 03:01 PM
That's me mate.

Edit: In the second match you were 0/0 for break points.

MichaelNadal
08-19-2011, 03:18 PM
That's me mate.

Edit: In the second match you were 0/0 for break points.

I know it's crazy, I could never win the points I needed to. Second match I def wasn't as good. Oh well, i'll try harder next time. I forgot ur Tomas, thanks for reminding me.

Lionheart
08-19-2011, 03:22 PM
No problem. I was trying a few things with Rafter but rushing the net 24/7 isn't really my cup of tea.

Fuji
08-20-2011, 07:27 PM
Hey!

Thanks to whoever I played today! I forgot your username..... :(

Sorry I didn't play so well! I kept hitting long and wide for NO reason today! It was so odd. We will for sure play again! :)

-Fuji

Zildite
08-21-2011, 12:56 AM
Hey!

Thanks to whoever I played today! I forgot your username..... :(

Sorry I didn't play so well! I kept hitting long and wide for NO reason today! It was so odd. We will for sure play again! :)

-Fuji

<--- ;-)

I tried to come to net a bit more there too, sometimes worked/sometimes failed. It works well for me offline finishing points against guys like Murray and Nadal who can keep retrieving from way out of court (there's something nice about hitting a crisp volley winner too!). That seems to happen with most players online, but it's harder to predict what they will do and if there's lag then moving to the net feels like a suicide mission.
The only real bad lag I've had has been with random people though.
Until next time... :)

Lionheart
08-21-2011, 11:45 AM
I'll be online for a while if anyone wants to play ;)

Fuji
08-21-2011, 03:59 PM
<--- ;-)

I tried to come to net a bit more there too, sometimes worked/sometimes failed. It works well for me offline finishing points against guys like Murray and Nadal who can keep retrieving from way out of court (there's something nice about hitting a crisp volley winner too!). That seems to happen with most players online, but it's harder to predict what they will do and if there's lag then moving to the net feels like a suicide mission.
The only real bad lag I've had has been with random people though.
Until next time... :)

Oh it was you!

Awesome game! That was so much fun! I'll beat you next time! :) The best thing I can do against Serve and volley points is try to crack them down the line. It's quite hard to hit cross court passing shots.

Next time I'll play you with my serve and volley player and we'll see how I do!

-Fuji

Zildite
08-21-2011, 04:07 PM
^Hey, can you play now?

Fuji
08-21-2011, 04:16 PM
^Hey, can you play now?

I can play in about 45 minutes if that's okay! My PS3 is being hogged for a movie from my parents right now LOL!

-Fuji

flyinghippos101
08-21-2011, 06:38 PM
Question: Does the matchmaker set up matches against players around your rank on 2K open?

MichaelNadal
08-21-2011, 08:21 PM
Question: Does the matchmaker set up matches against players around your rank on 2K open?

Nope, u can get someone terrible or someone great.

Fuji
08-23-2011, 12:30 PM
Hey everyone! Going on PSN now for a bit! Anyone interested in a match?

PSN: As_Bold_As_Lions

-Fuji

kiwiconman
08-29-2011, 05:23 PM
I just found out that Amazon is selling Top Spin 4 for PS3 for $19.99.

http://www.amazon.com/Top-Spin-4-Playstation-3/dp/B0043QL2DG/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1314666742&sr=1-1

I played the demo and thought it was decent but got turned off by the inaccurate player motions (e.g. Federer's pinpoint stance on his serve).

But for 20 bucks it seems like a pretty good deal. What do you guys think?

rdis10093
08-29-2011, 05:25 PM
take it, I paid 60 for it

flyinghippos101
08-29-2011, 08:04 PM
I just found out that Amazon is selling Top Spin 4 for PS3 for $19.99.

http://www.amazon.com/Top-Spin-4-Playstation-3/dp/B0043QL2DG/ref=sr_1_1?s=videogames&ie=UTF8&qid=1314666742&sr=1-1

I played the demo and thought it was decent but got turned off by the inaccurate player motions (e.g. Federer's pinpoint stance on his serve).

But for 20 bucks it seems like a pretty good deal. What do you guys think?

Very hot deal, pounce on it while you still can. Even Top Spin 3 hasn't reached the $20 mark, it's still hovering around the $30 mark at most retailers.

cknobman
08-30-2011, 07:38 AM
I keep coming back to TopSpin 4 every week or two to give it another try but every time I just get really ****ed off at it and have to walk away.

Some of the things about this game are just total bs.

Im at the tail end of my career lvl 20 and just keep encountering matches where the computer gets to pull of shots that are just not possible by a player. Im all about being fair an nothing ****es me off more than the computer being able to make shots that are just not possible for a human controlled player to do.

Examples:
Return of serve: computer can just crack a 100+mph return out of no where. as a player you just dont get time to do this because you have to hold down your shot button and wait for the meter to fill up. I have "instant rocket" and still get nowhere close to a full meter before having to hit a 2nd slow serve return.
Running winner forehand/backhand: again same principal as return of serve. Computer on flat out run can hit the super hard winner but as a player you cannot because to fill up your meter all the way you have to stop and set up.
Off balanced falling backwards shots: computer can pull off super short severe angled shots or 100+ mph shots so its impossible to know what type of defense to prepare for.No dont get me wrong I am not necessarily saying the computer should never be able to pull off a shot like these because it is certainly possible to do in real life. What I am against though is the fact that they make it impossible for a human controlled player to pull off that shot. Its almost like a built in cheat for the computer.

At least in every other past version of the TopSpin series there was always a way to pull off a super high risk shot like that for human controlled players.

If there is a way in TS4 please let me know.

Zildite
09-03-2011, 09:01 PM
You don't really need to charge up a full power shot to get a big return of serve.
The best thing I have found is to time it perfectly and you can club it back pretty hard more often that not with a flat shot. Also it's usually easier if its a hard flat serve coming at you too. The powderpuff ones seem to be the hardest to smack back. Finally it should be easier with a high reflex good returner like Djokovic/Murray/Agassi. No need for instant rocket.
The hardest return I have seen was when I served flat one time to an expert-AI Murray. It was like Blake's return against Huta Galung at the USO this year but in the corner instead of down the middle :shock: If I used a topspin or slice serve I doubt that would have happened.
They can seem unfair at times but are still beatable with the right strategy.

I was disappointed at not being able to see a win/loss record for the 2K Open? It only shows your wins...It has it in WT but that place is annoying. Especially direct matches where it can stall in the lobby for ages. Tried to help a guy play some DM's recently and it was a pain :-?

ChopShot
09-04-2011, 09:10 AM
I keep coming back to TopSpin 4 every week or two to give it another try but every time I just get really ****ed off at it and have to walk away.

Some of the things about this game are just total bs.

Im at the tail end of my career lvl 20 and just keep encountering matches where the computer gets to pull of shots that are just not possible by a player. Im all about being fair an nothing ****es me off more than the computer being able to make shots that are just not possible for a human controlled player to do.

Examples:
Return of serve: computer can just crack a 100+mph return out of no where. as a player you just dont get time to do this because you have to hold down your shot button and wait for the meter to fill up. I have "instant rocket" and still get nowhere close to a full meter before having to hit a 2nd slow serve return.
Running winner forehand/backhand: again same principal as return of serve. Computer on flat out run can hit the super hard winner but as a player you cannot because to fill up your meter all the way you have to stop and set up.
Off balanced falling backwards shots: computer can pull off super short severe angled shots or 100+ mph shots so its impossible to know what type of defense to prepare for.No dont get me wrong I am not necessarily saying the computer should never be able to pull off a shot like these because it is certainly possible to do in real life. What I am against though is the fact that they make it impossible for a human controlled player to pull off that shot. Its almost like a built in cheat for the computer.

At least in every other past version of the TopSpin series there was always a way to pull off a super high risk shot like that for human controlled players.

If there is a way in TS4 please let me know.

Sure, the AI cheats. Novak Trollovic and Andy Murray are the worst by far, as far as cheating goes. However, do not despair, there is a way to beat them.
First of all, you absolutely must move them! Even an Expert AI can't blow you off the court if you move them around well enough. The importance of variety can't be understated. Topspin, topspin, then slice. Keep them guessing. If you hit the same shot over and over again, the AI will cheat into the court.
Second of all, watch for patterns. Novak Djokovic will go DTL 9 times out of 10, use the CC opening against him. Murray will slice excessively. Come in off his short slices, or drop-shot them.
At the net, unless you've got a volley skill of higher than 70, use the slice volley for everything except sitters. Passing shots will almost always come crosscourt. Go for placement, move your opponent around. Draw him up to the net, then volley behind him.
When serving, placement over power. A hard, flat serve in the middle of the box will be smacked back faster than you can react. A moderately hard one in the corner of the box will send your opponent reeling. Wide serves are your best bet if you can't hit straight aces.

jlan
09-04-2011, 11:57 PM
I'm done with this game. The online cheaters just took the fun out of it. I run into force laggers with super teleportation powers pretty much every match now. It's ridiculous.

To all those I've played with from TW, thanks for all the fun matches :D

Netspirit
09-05-2011, 06:48 PM
So how do you guys deal with those robots who seem hit the ball into one of the 4 corners (2 at the service line, 2 at the baseline) EVERY time they get to the ball, at the maximum pace? There are no rallies basically. I make one sub-optimal shot, and it's all over. Are some people just this good with their reactions and controller? )

Also, what is your typical "go to" shot - flat (A) or topspin (B)?

MichaelNadal
09-09-2011, 07:12 PM
I'm done with this game. The online cheaters just took the fun out of it. I run into force laggers with super teleportation powers pretty much every match now. It's ridiculous.

To all those I've played with from TW, thanks for all the fun matches :D

Weird, that hasn't happened to me in FOREVER.

So how do you guys deal with those robots who seem hit the ball into one of the 4 corners (2 at the service line, 2 at the baseline) EVERY time they get to the ball, at the maximum pace? There are no rallies basically. I make one sub-optimal shot, and it's all over. Are some people just this good with their reactions and controller? )

I slice, use topspin, and go flat each about the same percent. So 33/33/33% for me.

Lionheart
09-10-2011, 05:22 PM

Top Spin about 80% of the time, just like everyone does in real life. You get control and margin.

Flat shots very rarely as you only really need them on a short ball to finish a point or to push the point to your side if you're at the baseline and it's a ball that you can be SURE to get the timing perfect.

Slice usually to slow down a rally. Together with topspin it's very useful if you play a deep ball to the middle in a tough rally. No matter what your opponent level is they will usually miss.

jamesblakefan#1
09-19-2011, 03:14 PM
New balancing update released.

http://www.facebook.com/notes/top-spin/top-spin-gameplay-balance-update-4-notes-releasing-monday-0800-gmt/287149214633541

FedExpress 333
09-19-2011, 05:33 PM
I LOVE this update!

MichaelNadal
09-19-2011, 09:58 PM
Hmm im ready to try that out :)

Netspirit
09-19-2011, 11:29 PM
Good update. I was getting tired of those super-powerful weirdos, dropshot abusers and magicians hitting slice winners from improbable defensive situations. )

I am slowly getting better. However, there are still quite a few people (especially from the very top of the rankings) who dismantle me 0 and 0 without any serious rallying. I find comfort in telling myself that I, unlike them, actually have a life and career. )

I noticed that once I play on some particular surface, I get the timing grooved in and the game becomes all about who makes the "first strike" - corner shot at the maximum power. In 2K Open, however, surfaces are random, so by the time I get used to one, the match is mostly over. /

MichaelNadal
09-21-2011, 07:55 PM
The update is ok, but I think drop shots already had to be precise enough. Now they float too much.

Fuji
09-21-2011, 08:11 PM
The new update is odd! I play as Roddick most of the time these days, and I serve and volley with him mostly now. I can't play defense with him because he's too slow and slices just float up!

I still have to play around more with the update and keep working at it!

-Fuji

Brollipower
09-22-2011, 02:29 AM
Most Roddicks i play online play 10 miles behind the baseline and whack the ball at full power whenever they can....

jamesblakefan#1
09-23-2011, 08:46 AM
The new update is odd! I play as Roddick most of the time these days, and I serve and volley with him mostly now. I can't play defense with him because he's too slow and slices just float up!

-Fuji

Good. No offense but the super slices from defensive positions was one of the biggest flaws in the game. Glad that they no longer exist.

---

Just had an angry moment where I was Fed against Djokovic online and Djoker broke me to win a set and did his stupid little chest bump thingy.

http://im.rediff.com/sports/2011/jan/25slide4.jpg

I just wanted to rip his face off! :twisted:

Gladly I won 10-8 in the 3rd TB. All in all I think the update is ok. Still not as many UEs as I would like, though I did have 29/15 W/UEs so who knows. But still good that the slice has finally been toned down.

MichaelNadal
09-23-2011, 08:12 PM

-Fuji

I don't really like the update too much. Why hit a slice if it doesn't stay low? Why drop shot when it lands past the service box? They ruined Becker for me (who I was best with) now im best with Murray and Roddick.

Fuji
09-23-2011, 08:15 PM
I don't really like the update too much. Why hit a slice if it doesn't stay low? Why drop shot when it lands past the service box? They ruined Becker for me (who I was best with) now im best with Murray and Roddick.

Same with me! I'm playing pretty good with Roddick now that I got used to it, but it was nice being able to play A LITTLE bit of defense! Now it's hard to win unless you are able to transition to offense right away!

-Fuji

MichaelNadal
09-23-2011, 08:18 PM
Same with me! I'm playing pretty good with Roddick now that I got used to it, but it was nice being able to play A LITTLE bit of defense! Now it's hard to win unless you are able to transition to offense right away!

-Fuji

Too many UE's on routine shots too, to me it was perfect after the first or 2nd update, however it was before this one. Now this one is too sketch. Im still gonna play though, but I don't feel as good as I was before at all.

rdis10093
09-23-2011, 08:23 PM
my guy I made was all about def. Now, his slice is crap. New update makes it harder to go from def. to kill shot

MichaelNadal
09-23-2011, 08:26 PM
my guy I made was all about def. Now, his slice is crap. New update makes it harder to go from def. to kill shot

Slices are such crap now, it makes me mad bc I loved my backhand slice. Same with droppers.

Fuji
09-23-2011, 08:27 PM
Too many UE's on routine shots too, to me it was perfect after the first or 2nd update, however it was before this one. Now this one is too sketch. Im still gonna play though, but I don't feel as good as I was before at all.

Exactly! Also I saw that today, A TON of people were getting robbed on there serves. I was playing at RG and these guys were serving really well, IN THE BOX IN THE CORNER, EVEN LEAVING A BLOODY MARK, and the game would call it out. It did this to at least 20 first serves! I don't like winning when the game is calling good shots out.

The biggest improvement I've actually noticed was my serve and volley guy! His volleys seemed to get a bit of a boost when they weren't "perfect", but still "good". Before a "good" was only mediocre, but now I am able to hit winners off of "good" volleys! :)

-Fuji

rdis10093
09-23-2011, 08:29 PM
i could never hit drop shots on the game, but my bh slcie was my money shot

jamesblakefan#1
09-23-2011, 10:55 PM
Well it's more realistic, before on defense you could hit unrealistic laser slices that would instantly turn the point for you. Does that happen in real tennis when a guy is 10 ft behind the baseline? Of course not. So all in all it's more realistic.

Sounds like a lot of you were slice cheesers, which this update finally killed. The slice was overpowered anyways, how many slice FH winners do you see in a real match? In TS4 before the update the slice FH was one of the strongest shots, lol. Now slice is actually a strategic defensive shot instead of a powerful offensive shot. I like it.

flyinghippos101
09-24-2011, 03:42 PM
Well it's more realistic, before on defense you could hit unrealistic laser slices that would instantly turn the point for you. Does that happen in real tennis when a guy is 10 ft behind the baseline? Of course not. So all in all it's more realistic.

Sounds like a lot of you were slice cheesers, which this update finally killed. The slice was overpowered anyways, how many slice FH winners do you see in a real match? In TS4 before the update the slice FH was one of the strongest shots, lol. Now slice is actually a strategic defensive shot instead of a powerful offensive shot. I like it.

I agree, this patch definitely made the gameplay a great deal more realistic. But I suddenly feel that post patch, the slice isn't even practical in a defensive position. Sure the sniper slice shots that turned the tide of a rally were annoying, but I can help but feel they nerfed the slices a tad too much. Guys like Fed are meant to have great slices, they could've at least nerfed the fh slice and tweaked the bh slice so as to make it less of an offensive weapon and more defensive but still make it so that it still stayed low.

Btw sorry I didn't respond to your invite, I was downloading resi 4 and ust left my Xbox on while I was doing homework.

Zildite
09-24-2011, 05:58 PM
Fed should have a good slice but there is nothing in the game that gives him that advantage. Guys with Slice Invasion/Poisoned Slice like Murray/Simon/Chang should be better but I'm not sure that I noticed much difference.
Should be better with slower slice at least, I mostly liked it for the low bounce which isn't as effective now or playing a control shot to kill the pace.
Drop shots are still ok for me, the update doesn't seem like it will make me play that much different.
Gameplay tweaks are alright, wouldn't mind some DLC pros/venues/gear though. PSN store link is still empty :oops:

flyinghippos101
09-24-2011, 09:34 PM
Took some time to test this patch out some more and played for an hour or two and now I realized that this patch is terrible. It's one thing to balance and tweak slices so that you're not hitting impossible winners from defensive positions or hitting ridiculous slices on the defensive that changes the dynamics of the rally; but its another to nerf the slice to the point where it's impractical to use it under any circumstances. This patched has practically relegated the slice to being a shot that, no matter what position you're in and how time you have to set up, will land short and is practically a guarenteed winner for your opponent.

Not to mention this slice patch only makes Fed worse (who was already a crap character to begin with) who at least had a decent slice to compensate for his poorly distributed stats anyways. Now he doesn't even have that anymore. I'm playing Fed, there's no reason why his slice is on par with Nadal's despite both reality and his in-game slice ability.

You dun' goofed 2K.

jamesblakefan#1
09-24-2011, 10:22 PM
I don't agree. I've used the short slice quite a bit to force UEs from my opponents. If I had to choose to have the slice overpowered or underpowered I'd say underpowered would be the way to go. So in that regard I'm ok w/ the slice.

I know your guy is slice invasion so you relied on the slice quite a bit, but from other players' perspective the slice was far too dominant and you'd see things like slice rallies and slice passing shots which barely ever happen IRL. And it's still possible to hit good slices, just not as easy and not as strong. All in all I have no problem w/ that part of the update.

And FWIW I have played a few matches w/ Fed since the update and am still able to win with him. You can't rely on the slice as the main aspect of your game, which again I'm ok with since what pro does? The slice is primarily a defensive shot meant to draw errors as a change of pace, not an offensive shot. So in that regard the update has it spot on.

And from what I've seen slice returns are still quite useful when use correctly.

Zildite
09-25-2011, 02:19 AM
It doesn't seem so bad to me although I haven't played online since the update.
Played expert-Djokovic @ Miami with Fed using a lot more slice than normal and still won a hyper TB 20-14 with 16W/0 UE.
The depth looked alright, even hit the baseline a few times when I got perfect timing. Actually the bonus for getting perfect timing seemed more noticeable which I liked.

flyinghippos101
09-25-2011, 07:55 AM
I don't agree. I've used the short slice quite a bit to force UEs from my opponents. If I had to choose to have the slice overpowered or underpowered I'd say underpowered would be the way to go. So in that regard I'm ok w/ the slice.

I know your guy is slice invasion so you relied on the slice quite a bit, but from other players' perspective the slice was far too dominant and you'd see things like slice rallies and slice passing shots which barely ever happen IRL. And it's still possible to hit good slices, just not as easy and not as strong. All in all I have no problem w/ that part of the update.

And FWIW I have played a few matches w/ Fed since the update and am still able to win with him. You can't rely on the slice as the main aspect of your game, which again I'm ok with since what pro does? The slice is primarily a defensive shot meant to draw errors as a change of pace, not an offensive shot. So in that regard the update has it spot on.

And from what I've seen slice returns are still quite useful when use correctly.

Sure, slices were a vital part of my guy's game and I definitely agree that they were overpowered. But tweaking it to the opposite extreme is hardly a suitable remedy. Why not establish a good medium and have it still be a practical shot?

And i'm still winning matches with Fed, but it's harder. It's not that I relied on Fed's slice too much, but it was definitely a shot that I used to tie his game together. Sure slices are predominantly a defensive shot, but it's not beyond the realm of possibility to change the rhythm of the rally with a decent slice during a neutral rally. It was only uber defensive slices that raised eyebrows. And this patch , IMO, I feels completely neglects this.

SStrikerR
09-25-2011, 09:03 AM
Hm, I havent been connected to online for about a month now, so I'm wary to connect my xbox to Live again for a while. Drop shots are terrible with the latest update I received, but I'm satisfied with the game how it is right now I suppose.

MichaelNadal
09-25-2011, 12:51 PM
Sure, slices were a vital part of my guy's game and I definitely agree that they were overpowered. But tweaking it to the opposite extreme is hardly a suitable remedy. Why not establish a good medium and have it still be a practical shot?

And i'm still winning matches with Fed, but it's harder. It's not that I relied on Fed's slice too much, but it was definitely a shot that I used to tie his game together. Sure slices are predominantly a defensive shot, but it's not beyond the realm of possibility to change the rhythm of the rally with a decent slice during a neutral rally. It was only uber defensive slices that raised eyebrows. And this patch , IMO, I feels completely neglects this.

I agree. They RUINED Becker for me like I said, the funny thing is i've played with a few guys now. I used to HATE Nadal, but now out of the 5 guys I tried, his slice is the best. Weird!?! I don't think they nerfed his at all. Nadal slices as well as everyone else used to. Try it out if you don't believe me. Now im Him/Murray/Roddick the most, and can't play with Becker to save my life.

BigServer1
09-27-2011, 01:43 PM
The update definitely increases errors, slice isn't as effective.

Overall though I don't hate it, it's definitely more realistic.

MichaelNadal
10-03-2011, 04:11 PM
How cute is this? Lol

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/mikeynitro/2011-10-03034114.jpg

Fuji
10-03-2011, 04:37 PM
LOL! I really like that!

-Fuji

MichaelNadal
10-14-2011, 03:13 PM
Dead topic, no bueno. So guys what would u say is your best strength and or weakness in this game when you play online? A strength of mine is im not afraid to mix it up, I never get predictable, and always go for my shots. I'll throw in a dropshot when down match point like it's the first game of the match. You?

Zildite
10-15-2011, 12:29 PM
I guess I go with consistency, although its harder in online play than offline. Not sure if I'm better than average at figuring out peoples patterns, but that is usually key to winning. If you are predictable, you will probably get beat unless you are really good at what you do.
Not great at holding serve all the time. I think when I played jlan I had one service hold, but three breaks. Don't really have a reliable go-to plan. Not so great at the net online as well.

Also good at trolling people by winning with Bouchard ;D

MichaelNadal
10-15-2011, 01:49 PM
I guess I go with consistency, although its harder in online play than offline. Not sure if I'm better than average at figuring out peoples patterns, but that is usually key to winning. If you are predictable, you will probably get beat unless you are really good at what you do.
Not great at holding serve all the time. I think when I played jlan I had one service hold, but three breaks. Don't really have a reliable go-to plan. Not so great at the net online as well.

Also good at trolling people by winning with Bouchard ;D

Yeah I love playing guys that S&V bc I always figure out ways to break them down before the match is over.

jamesblakefan#1
10-16-2011, 12:08 AM
Well with my created pro I'm the master of attacking the short ball and finishing at the net. I come to net at least 20+ times in a best of 3, 6 game match. But lately when I play I've been playing 2K Open w/ Fed and using the big FH and coming to net to finish points. So yeah, net play is essential for any player I use. Though I still can win w/ Blake even though his net stats aren't as high.

Fuji
10-16-2011, 08:36 AM
Yeah I love playing guys that S&V bc I always figure out ways to break them down before the match is over.

I've started to really mess people up! I made my counter puncher almost totally defensive baseliner, but then I practiced serve and volleying with him with great success! :)

-Fuji

flyinghippos101
10-16-2011, 08:49 AM
I usually just play with Wozniacki now.

17 wins and counting

bezs
10-17-2011, 08:34 AM
Haven't played much recently but not a fan of the update, of the handful of matches i've played lost all and haven't come close to winning.

There were slice cheesers yes but as mentioned the slice has rendered been pretty much useless. Just less fun with one less shot to use.

Brollipower
10-17-2011, 01:20 PM
I've been having a lot of quitters lately. When i'm 2 games or a set up they just leave. The last one who did this was Kalimdor47. I was 3-0 2-0 up and he just left.

I'd like to know what strategies you guys use against different playstyles. For example: I played a Roddick who was playing a gazillion miles behind the baseline brutally bashing the ball like he was mad at it. I was playing with Davydenko and like an idiot i tried to outrally him. So offcourse i lost the first set 3-0.
In the second set i used short slices to draw him closer to the baseline and then blasted him with control shot winners. I took that set 3-1.
In the third set i was up 6-0 in the ST and he rage quitted on me.. :mad:

Good S&V players are also a pain to beat especially good Sampras or Rafter players. The key is to give them a very hard first volley so you can set them up for a passing shot or a lob.

I also played a Murray who almost had me smashing my fist through my tv set. They made that guy waaaaaaay too fast. I won in the end but i hope i never have to play him again.

cknobman
10-18-2011, 11:06 AM
Played for the first time in a while last night against the computer.

Not sure why so many people are mad about the last update to the slice shot.

It is still a very effective shot but now they have made it so that you actually have to time it well and use it at the right moments. In fact if used correctly you get the slice to "bite" the court harder and stay even lower. On the down side, if you time it wrong or use it at the wrong time you will hit a "floating" sitter waiting to be crushed.

jamesblakefan#1
10-18-2011, 12:15 PM

It is still a very effective shot but now they have made it so that you actually have to time it well and use it at the right moments. In fact if used correctly you get the slice to "bite" the court harder and stay even lower. On the down side, if you time it wrong or use it at the wrong time you will hit a "floating" sitter waiting to be crushed.

Exactly, it's more true to life this way. I've been plenty effective w/ the slice, just it's a bit harder to time it and harder to use it on defense, in contrast to before where guys would be 10 ft behind the baseline retrieving and be able to hit super slice to neutralize the point or even turn it in their favor.

MichaelNadal
10-18-2011, 02:03 PM

I hated it at first but I found out how to time it better and im fine with it now. It works best if you aren't on the run though.

ChopShot
10-18-2011, 05:25 PM
I've played with the patch for a couple full matches with different players now - mostly against Nadal, as my net is down and he's the most difficult CPU IMHO.
Players like Becker, who have a big serve, power ground game and serviceable volleys are now plain terrifying. I've just beaten Nadal 6-0 6-1 6-1, on expert, without breaking sweat. I'll definitely give 2k kudos for making it more realistic, but it's become slightly too easy. I won 40/47 net points against supposedly one of the best passers in the world, for crying out loud.

FedExpress 333
10-18-2011, 05:34 PM
I've played with the patch for a couple full matches with different players now - mostly against Nadal, as my net is down and he's the most difficult CPU IMHO.
Players like Becker, who have a big serve, power ground game and serviceable volleys are now plain terrifying. I've just beaten Nadal 6-0 6-1 6-1, on expert, without breaking sweat. I'll definitely give 2k kudos for making it more realistic, but it's become slightly too easy. I won 40/47 net points against supposedly one of the best passers in the world, for crying out loud.

LOL the CPU is GARBAGE. Try facng a GOOD live player, they are hardto find, maybe on ITST. its a lot harder.

ChopShot
10-18-2011, 06:13 PM
LOL the CPU is GARBAGE. Try facng a GOOD live player, they are hardto find, maybe on ITST. its a lot harder.

Oh, I'm well aware. I'd never play the CPU if not for my net being down.
Still, relative to before, it's gotten far too easy. Nadal used push me to 6-3 sets because Becker moves like a pregnant elephant, but with the realism-oriented changes they've made, he's too easy to beat with a big groundstroke-volley combo.
Am I the only one, btw, who feels outrageous drop volleys are suddenly easier to pull off? I feel like every time I get a return smacked at my feet, I can pretty much just drop volley the thing and have every chance of winning the point. Doesn't really matter how much I'm stretching.

MichaelNadal
10-18-2011, 08:08 PM
Oh, I'm well aware. I'd never play the CPU if not for my net being down.
Still, relative to before, it's gotten far too easy. Nadal used push me to 6-3 sets because Becker moves like a pregnant elephant, but with the realism-oriented changes they've made, he's too easy to beat with a big groundstroke-volley combo.
Am I the only one, btw, who feels outrageous drop volleys are suddenly easier to pull off? I feel like every time I get a return smacked at my feet, I can pretty much just drop volley the thing and have every chance of winning the point. Doesn't really matter how much I'm stretching.

No you just must be ridiculously good.

jamesblakefan#1
10-18-2011, 08:32 PM
The net game's still easy relative to the baseline game. I find that playing at the net is easy b/c the CPU usually just hits cross court every time on passing shots, I don't think they ever hit DTL passing shots. That may be why even on expert you're able to win easily against the CPU.

For me Very Hard is still a challenge against the CPU. I don't even want to play CPU Murray on Very Hard, he never misses.

I'm playing now, first time I'm playing offline in a while, and on very hard against Luis Julio, the Lv. 19 defensive baseliner w/ 90+ speed and stamina. QF of the Sony Ericsson Open. Maybe one of the most fun sets I've ever played in this game. Served for the set at 5-4 but got broken after having 5 set points. (my choke gene coming out lol) But broke back, served for it at 6-5 but got broke again. In TB went up 4-2, but he came back and was up 5-4 in the TB. I won the 2 points on my serve to get set point, then hit one of the hardest BHs ever after a nice rally to take the set 7-6 (5). I think I just fell in love w/ this game again, lol.

The CPU definitely challenges me. He's mixing it up and hitting droppers and off pace shots, and then can blast it out of nowhere. I envy those who say they destroy the CPU on expert.

ChopShot
10-19-2011, 10:08 AM
The net game's still easy relative to the baseline game. I find that playing at the net is easy b/c the CPU usually just hits cross court every time on passing shots, I don't think they ever hit DTL passing shots. That may be why even on expert you're able to win easily against the CPU.

For me Very Hard is still a challenge against the CPU. I don't even want to play CPU Murray on Very Hard, he never misses.

I'm playing now, first time I'm playing offline in a while, and on very hard against Luis Julio, the Lv. 19 defensive baseliner w/ 90+ speed and stamina. QF of the Sony Ericsson Open. Maybe one of the most fun sets I've ever played in this game. Served for the set at 5-4 but got broken after having 5 set points. (my choke gene coming out lol) But broke back, served for it at 6-5 but got broke again. In TB went up 4-2, but he came back and was up 5-4 in the TB. I won the 2 points on my serve to get set point, then hit one of the hardest BHs ever after a nice rally to take the set 7-6 (5). I think I just fell in love w/ this game again, lol.

The CPU definitely challenges me. He's mixing it up and hitting droppers and off pace shots, and then can blast it out of nowhere. I envy those who say they destroy the CPU on expert.

I find human players far more difficult to beat than the computer for a simple reason:
Against computer players, it takes me MAX a set to figure out the pattern the computer plays by - Djokovic, for example, will go DTL incessantly, always tries to pass into open space when you're at the net, and spits up a short ball if you topspin deep then slice short to his backhand. Nadal, likewise, has a predictable, if more effective, pattern. Murray is the only CPU who really mixes it up - he's definitely the hardest to beat with a slow player, albeit his finishing off short balls is iffy.
Human players, on the other hand, give me fits. They'll do things that tenniswise are entirely illogical - try to hit volleys crosscourt on difficult shots, drop volley when I'm close to the net, etc. It gives me FITS! Often, I'll look like a complete buffoon running in the entirely wrong direction, because going for it DTL is the logically expected move, and instead my opponent hits a crosscourt slice. And they return FAR better. A wide topspin serve that isn't within nanometers of the sideline loses me the point every single time against even half-assed players.
That said, the only thing I really have trouble with is getting lobbed - I have a tendency to get FAR too close to the net, which the CPU doesn't really punish you for all the time, but good online players pounce on it within seconds.

jamesblakefan#1
10-19-2011, 11:20 AM
Now I remember why I stopped playing this game online, at least in world tour. Played some french guy. Connection lagged, and he had drop shot artist and pulled drop shot from everywhere. And of course just like 90% of online players he put all 20 of his points into one category, this was Defensive Baseline. So he had 90 FH/BH (realistic lol) and its basically like playing a backboard. No fun at all. So yeah, 2K open/offline career mode for me.

rovex
10-19-2011, 11:24 PM
Federer's backhand Is trash. never understood the unwillingness Of people to run round that thing more frequently.

Zildite
10-20-2011, 08:11 PM
In the top 5000 @ 2K open, woo :P

How does someone get to 8300+ points though? That is over 2750 match wins :shock:

MichaelNadal
10-21-2011, 11:32 AM
In the top 5000 @ 2K open, woo :P

How does someone get to 8300+ points though? That is over 2750 match wins :shock:

Yeah I have no idea how some of those people are so high on the list. Im number 238 right now.

cknobman
10-21-2011, 12:00 PM
How the heck do you hit aces in this freakin game????

I am using the advanced serve and have 91 points into my service and 90 into power but am still only able to hit an ace maybe 1 timer per match.

Ive tried the wide serve and the T serve and all different kinds of timings with the left stick to try and hit the line. I keep either pulling the ball wide or just landing one too far in the box.

Is there a certain secret to hitting the line more frequently?

MichaelNadal
10-21-2011, 12:55 PM
^^I serve the normal way, advanced seems hard to me, but I still hit a good number of aces. It's all about timing and aiming. Moreso than power.

flyinghippos101
10-21-2011, 01:45 PM
They nerfed the hell out of the serve but acres are still possible, sort of. I never have more than 2 aces per match.

Then again, it's not so much you having a good serve rather it's your opponent also just completely guessing wrong at where the next serve's gonna go.

MichaelNadal
10-22-2011, 11:31 PM
They nerfed the hell out of the serve but acres are still possible, sort of. I never have more than 2 aces per match.

Then again, it's not so much you having a good serve rather it's your opponent also just completely guessing wrong at where the next serve's gonna go.

Do you keep them guessing by switching up your placement, and also throw some slice serves in?

Brollipower
10-25-2011, 08:25 AM
Positioning is far more important than speed. And mixing up your serve is key. Using slice, kick and flat serves will keep your opponent guessing

MichaelNadal
10-30-2011, 11:23 AM
Has anyone else played this in 3D yet? I just got a 3DTv and started... what are your thoughts?

jamesblakefan#1
11-01-2011, 08:13 PM
Just saw again what a joke the superhuman AI is when it comes to certain matches in big tourneys. Played Roddick in the WTF SF, lost 0 and 1. He had the forehand of Federer, backhand of Nalbandian, feel of Federer, defense of Djokovic 2011. 44 winners to 2 unforced errors for Roddick.

TopFH
11-01-2011, 09:01 PM
^Not even in VT3 have I seen this.

Zildite
11-01-2011, 09:37 PM
Roddick's defense isn't that good compared to other guys. He is weak if you keep him on the back foot, I've found. If you let him hit the winners will probably flow, though :) Lots of power

jamesblakefan#1
11-01-2011, 10:44 PM
Roddick's defense isn't that good compared to other guys. He is weak if you keep him on the back foot, I've found. If you let him hit the winners will probably flow, though :) Lots of power

It's hard to win when you have him on defense and he somehow manages to hit a stretch drop shot from 5 ft behind the baseline, the same drop shots that the updates kept users from doing, but the CPU still does them with ease. That and him blasting off both wings and missing zilch make it hard regardless of what strategy you use.

Like I said, it's certain matches. I played him at the USO QF and won, but lost to Nadal there in the SF. But it wasn't a superhuman loss since I lost in 4 sets and was pretty competitive throughout. Also beat him at a MS event, lost to him at RG SF in 5 sets. Had MP but lost 7-5 in the 5th. Rod won RG BTW, beat Murray in the final. :shock:

But back on topic, it's not a Roddick issue, just a thing where I think the game programs certain matches to be tougher than others, like slam semis or apparently the WTF SF as well. I played Blake in the AO semi and got destroyed pretty much the same way. This one I even cut the game off once when Roddick was playing superhuman and up 5-0 in the 1st. Went back and same thing. 100% 1st serve, 0 BP...mind you I'd beaten Roddick the last 2 times we'd played and 3 of 4 this year. The only loss was RG.

I had a similar match against Wawrinka where he was playing crazily. Drop shots going in, every backhand was spot on, etc. Davydenko also played similarly and destroyed me in the Miami final. Could be a coincidence, but I made something like 8 semis or finals on the season and won 0 events because of these shenanigans. Playing on Very Hard BTW.

2K programs this in NBA 2K12 as well, comeback AI where you'll be winning down the stretch and the CPU turns into god mode on you. So it wouldn't shock me if something similar were in TS4 as well.

cknobman
11-02-2011, 06:53 AM
It's hard to win when you have him on defense and he somehow manages to hit a stretch drop shot from 5 ft behind the baseline, the same drop shots that the updates kept users from doing, but the CPU still does them with ease. That and him blasting off both wings and missing zilch make it hard regardless of what strategy you use.

Like I said, it's certain matches. I played him at the USO QF and won, but lost to Nadal there in the SF. But it wasn't a superhuman loss since I lost in 4 sets and was pretty competitive throughout. Also beat him at a MS event, lost to him at RG SF in 5 sets. Had MP but lost 7-5 in the 5th. Rod won RG BTW, beat Murray in the final. :shock:

But back on topic, it's not a Roddick issue, just a thing where I think the game programs certain matches to be tougher than others, like slam semis or apparently the WTF SF as well. I played Blake in the AO semi and got destroyed pretty much the same way. This one I even cut the game off once when Roddick was playing superhuman and up 5-0 in the 1st. Went back and same thing. 100% 1st serve, 0 BP...mind you I'd beaten Roddick the last 2 times we'd played and 3 of 4 this year. The only loss was RG.

I had a similar match against Wawrinka where he was playing crazily. Drop shots going in, every backhand was spot on, etc. Davydenko also played similarly and destroyed me in the Miami final. Could be a coincidence, but I made something like 8 semis or finals on the season and won 0 events because of these shenanigans. Playing on Very Hard BTW.

2K programs this in NBA 2K12 as well, comeback AI where you'll be winning down the stretch and the CPU turns into god mode on you. So it wouldn't shock me if something similar were in TS4 as well.

I agree with you 100%. In fact I have gotten so frustrated with how the AI becomes superhuman out of nowhere in certain big matches that I have stopped playing all together. The part that pushed me over the edge was when I hit a topspin forehand to the deuce corner when the opponent (djokovic) was in the ad court at the service line and he ran like a rabbit hit the ball on the full run (which was behind him about a half inch off the ground) for what seemed like a 100mph fore hand winner (cross court no less)!!!!! A. the ball was behind him and there should have been no physical way for him to run that down. B. EVEN IF a real person could have gotten it being so far off court and the angle he ran it down the only possible shot would have been down the line as again I will reiterate the BALL WAS STILL BEHIND HIM WHEN HE HIT IT!!!!!

Anyways this is the first Topspin game I have had to deal with crap like this and I have owned every one. Sad to say but I dont think I am buying the next one in the series unless big changes are made. Computer players should play by same rules as human players and be confined to the same physics and restrictions we are.

SStrikerR
11-02-2011, 11:22 AM
The AI playing much, much better in slam (and WTF) semis and finals has been discussed more than a few times throughout the thread. It's nothing new. The first slam semi I played I lost 1 2 and 1. However, the next slam semi I played I won 3 2 and 1. So really, it's not that hard. You just need to make sure you don't give the AI many easy balls, because they will unload on you. If you're just rallying with them and trying to hit a winner when you think there's an opening, you probably won't win. Just play smarter and it's not difficult. Eventually it gets to the point where none of it is competitive, except for RG semi and final (since it's almost always against someone with amazing speed) Also, the AI has never drop shotted me unless I was way behind the baseline. So if you get drop shotted from a stretch, that's your fault for not closing in when your opponent was on defense.

jamesblakefan#1
11-02-2011, 12:13 PM
The AI playing much, much better in slam (and WTF) semis and finals has been discussed more than a few times throughout the thread. It's nothing new. The first slam semi I played I lost 1 2 and 1. However, the next slam semi I played I won 3 2 and 1. So really, it's not that hard. You just need to make sure you don't give the AI many easy balls, because they will unload on you. If you're just rallying with them and trying to hit a winner when you think there's an opening, you probably won't win. Just play smarter and it's not difficult. Eventually it gets to the point where none of it is competitive, except for RG semi and final (since it's almost always against someone with amazing speed) Also, the AI has never drop shotted me unless I was way behind the baseline. So if you get drop shotted from a stretch, that's your fault for not closing in when your opponent was on defense.

That's a BS argument TBH. When I have the AI on defense I expect them to hit a short ball or not get the ball back at all, and usually they do in 'normal' matches. It's just in super matches where Roddick decides he wants to have the feel of Fed and Wawrinka deciding to pull out Santoro-like shots where I get ****ed. Because the updates made it so that users can't hit said shots when on the defense, but the CPU still can apparently.

I feel like a lot of matches are scripted. There's points in matches where I know I'm not supposed to win certain points and certain games, and to be fair there's also times where the AI can seemingly go from playing perfect to drop and let me back in, seemingly to add to the drama of everything.

Hood_Man
11-08-2011, 03:57 PM
Just reached my first French Open Final. I smoked Nadal and Federer in the Quarter and Semi finals, and then lose 3-0 3-0 with only 4 points won against Murray in the final :? How do you beat him??

MichaelNadal
11-09-2011, 08:07 AM
Just reached my first French Open Final. I smoked Nadal and Federer in the Quarter and Semi finals, and then lose 3-0 3-0 with only 4 points won against Murray in the final :? How do you beat him??

Are you guys playing offline Career mode? If so it sounds fun, is there a difficulty setting or it's defaulted?

Hood_Man
11-09-2011, 12:14 PM
Offline yeah. You can change the difficulty whenever you want (not during a match though obviously :)).

I play it on Hard because I'm too much of a wimp to try Very Hard. The time's I've tried it in exhibitions I get beaten so badly, it's not even competitive :(

I've yet to try it online though, my internet just isn't good enough for it.

flyinghippos101
11-09-2011, 12:25 PM
Long story short, it's not even remotely fair in grand slam finals on very hard.

MichaelNadal
11-10-2011, 06:46 AM
Offline yeah. You can change the difficulty whenever you want (not during a match though obviously :)).

I play it on Hard because I'm too much of a wimp to try Very Hard. The time's I've tried it in exhibitions I get beaten so badly, it's not even competitive :(

I've yet to try it online though, my internet just isn't good enough for it.

Ok thanks, I stopped doing career mode a few months ago and forgot the details, ill get back on it. I think it's set on hard for me, anything easier than hard is too easy in offline exhibition.

Brollipower
11-18-2011, 10:59 AM
I played 3 times against a different opponent who played the exact same way. When serving they moved all the way to the side and then served out wide. Took me 2 points to recognize the pattern and rammed the return down the line.

When they realised that their cheesy tactic wasn't going to work they just quit after the first set :evil: ......

I played a good player yesterday. His name is iDutchy. I don't know how he does it but he makes Djokovic look like a powerplayer. Those weren't tennis balls but laser guided missiles............

rdis10093
11-18-2011, 11:14 AM
is it possible to get the "first time is always the best" trophy if you lose in the first grand slam? It took me two tries to win a gs title, but I have no trophy, what gives?

FedExpress 333
11-18-2011, 11:39 AM
Jut killed Expert CPU roddick in Wimby final 6-0, 6-0 with y all rounder. n00bs.

anyone with an xbox, give me your gts.

rdis10093
11-18-2011, 11:47 AM
my memory may be wrong, but I thought TS 4 did not feature wim.

jamesblakefan#1
11-18-2011, 11:50 AM
Jut killed Expert CPU roddick in Wimby final 6-0, 6-0 with y all rounder. n00bs.

anyone with an xbox, give me your gts.

Sorry not all of us have time to sit around all day playing TS4. I know you play on ITST, you guys take this thing as a job over there. No offense meant, just saying.

Fuji
11-18-2011, 03:53 PM
I haven't played in a while, been too busy getting my butt whooped in Dark Souls....

I think I might go on for a bit. Hopefully I still can win a bit!

-Fuji

MichaelNadal
11-19-2011, 08:15 AM
I had a lot of fun yesterday playing online :)

George123
11-23-2011, 03:10 PM
Am i the only topspin nerd who can play the career on expert difficulty with out doing cheap outwide serves?

Fuji
11-23-2011, 06:26 PM
Am i the only topspin nerd who can play the career on expert difficulty with out doing cheap outwide serves?

I still don't know how to cheap serve. I can barely serve an ace as is... my guy can serve 140 with ease though LOL!

-Fuji

Zildite
11-24-2011, 01:53 AM
I end up serving to the CPUs backhand all the time, maybe because there is no punishment for using the same serve over and over.
Wouldn't mind if there was some mechanism to act against that, actually. I know in Smash Court 3 they cheated over to one side if you kept serving in the same place.

paulorenzo
11-24-2011, 02:30 AM
it's annoying how the user rankings in 2k open do not refresh every once in a while. i play perhaps a couple times a week and i see the same top 5 every time(slight exaggeration, the 4 and 5 spots change once in a blue moon).

i'm ranked in the 80's/90's as of late, but i still manage to usually go undefeated for the night whenever i play even after a period of not playing.

on a side note, i initially disliked when the updates lessened the effect of dropshots, but as of late, i found them to be working pretty close to before if my memory serves me well.

has anyone else noticed this?

davced1
11-24-2011, 04:00 AM
I recently got the game and think it's pretty good. However there are some annoying things, mainly in the details. The net posts, when there are any, are placed in the wrong position and why does Federer wear a wristband on his left arm, and Nadal only one, Murray playing without overgrip etc.

bezs
11-24-2011, 08:26 AM
I recently got the game and think it's pretty good. However there are some annoying things, mainly in the details. The net posts, when there are any, are placed in the wrong position and why does Federer wear a wristband on his left arm, and Nadal only one, Murray playing without overgrip etc.

And the umpire pronouncing Simon as Simon instead of "See mon"

MichaelNadal
11-26-2011, 10:56 PM
And the umpire pronouncing Simon as Simon instead of "See mon"

And Agassi as Ogg-uhsee, it's like WTF? They should at least be pronouncing names right.

paulorenzo
11-27-2011, 02:49 AM
Grand Slam Tennis on ps3/360? I've heard about it transitioning over before, but this blog entry from the game's producer is pretty enticing.

I'm especially intrigued with the Pro animations/style, something seriously missing in TS4.

I'm not too sure about the right analog stick controlling the racquet. It was definitely something i wanted a few years back and i'm glad it's being included in a game now, however, after playing the Top Spin 3/4, i was sold on their timing release mechanics for ground strokes.

I may be hyping this game up in my head, but i'm looking forward to see if the game includes any pro tour ambience/insight. that would be sweet.

i apologize if this is old news.

You can now swing the racquet like a Grand SlamŽ Champion in full HD featuring the all-new Total Racquet Control (the first real gameplay innovation in the Tennis category – finally on the right stick), PRO AI (where player styles become strategy) and so much more. Here’s a quick look at some of the things we have in store for you in 2012.

One of the biggest stories we have for you this year is the opportunity to bring you Wimbledon exclusively available in Grand SlamŽ Tennis 2. We’ve captured the journey of ALL 4 major tournaments, from the early rounds on the outer courts to the final showdown on center court. You will feel, see and hear the difference from venue to venue and tournament to tournament as we’ve included every detail you can imagine

Grand SlamŽ Tennis 2features some of the greatest legends from the past and present. Exclusive to our roster is the great John McEnroe who not only can you play as with his infamous afro, headband and old school shorts, but also provides commentary along with Pat Cash so you can imagine how entertaining that will be!And for the tennis fans in France you will hear the action called by none other than Guy Forget!

Our all-new Total Racquet Control system is the feature we on the development team are most proud of in Grand SlamŽ Tennis 2, and it’s definitely a game changer. For the first time in a tennis game you can control the entire experience without pressing a single button. Total Racquet Control with the right analogue stick is the first true innovation in the tennis genre in years. The right stick literally becomes your racquet, while the left stick drives your player’s legs and movement around the court. You will immediately feel the difference and control this innovative control system provides and you can switch back to button controls to compare for yourself.

Where we really bring the product to life in Grand SlamŽ Tennis 2 is with the introduction of our PRO AI system, which has your favorite players playing like themselves while also allowing YOU to use these same tennis styles to your strategic advantage. Each of our players look, act and move like their real life counterparts. From their signature animations, to their emotions and authentic play styles, PRO AI gets you in the tennis game.

For those PlayStationŽ3 owners and tennis fans out there that need to physically get involved in the action (you know the ones who can’t see the end of a b-ball game cuz their out shooting hoops before the end), we’ve included best-in-class PlayStationŽMove integration that “literally” puts the tennis racquet in the palm of your hand. At its core this experience has you performing real life tennis strokes right in your living room to drive the action. With only the Move controller required as the base, our movement assistance system puts you in the right position to return each ball. We didn’t forget about you control freaks out there however and if you want total control of your movement just add the wireless Navigation Controller and you’re good to go.

There are far more features to talk about over the months to come like our deep online experience, ESPN Grand SlamŽ Tournament Classics and Grand SlamŽ Career mode just to name a few. We’ll also go into more depth with the features mentioned above so be sure to check in often as we share more insider into from myself and the other gameplay producers.

http://www.ea.com/grand-slam-tennis-2/blog/tennis-first-blog

Zildite
11-30-2011, 01:12 PM
There's a thread here - http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=6105206

I'm not so sure about it. I've played enough 'minor' sports games from EA that were style over substance.

Anyway...Have they fixed the horrible lobby in online World Tour yet? :cry:

MichaelNadal
12-01-2011, 12:02 AM
Has anyone else had problems with people NOT playing at certain parts of the match in 2K open? It's like almost every match I play, my opponent will stop playing for games at a time for no reason, then just either quit, or start playing again out of the blue.

paulorenzo
12-01-2011, 06:37 PM
There's a thread here - http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=6105206

I'm not so sure about it. I've played enough 'minor' sports games from EA that were style over substance.

Anyway...Have they fixed the horrible lobby in online World Tour yet? :cry:

nice, thanks. you're right about style over substance. the games they've produced in the last few years have been consistently decent, nothing great. even, Battlefield 3, although an excellent game in itself, wasn't a huge leap from battlefield bad company 2 (aside from presentation).

paulorenzo
12-01-2011, 06:43 PM
Has anyone else had problems with people NOT playing at certain parts of the match in 2K open? It's like almost every match I play, my opponent will stop playing for games at a time for no reason, then just either quit, or start playing again out of the blue.

yeah, i've experienced that regularly, i imagine the opponent may have just gotten a drink and has taken his time coming back. at times though, i feel as though they want you to forfeit, so they can get an easy 2 pts. I've played a guy before who was lifeless for the whole match. suddenly he returns my serve and we get into a rally. after the point he continues being lifeless until i beat him. i find it annoying, but whatever.

on the PS3 2K open, i've experienced this with Turaninho10, the top ranked player. i was looking forward to seeing if i could beat him, but whatever.

MichaelNadal
12-01-2011, 06:53 PM
yeah, i've experienced that regularly, i imagine the opponent may have just gotten a drink and has taken his time coming back. at times though, i feel as though they want you to forfeit, so they can get an easy 2 pts. I've played a guy before who was lifeless for the whole match. suddenly he returns my serve and we get into a rally. after the point he continues being lifeless until i beat him. i find it annoying, but whatever.

on the PS3 2K open, i've experienced this with Turaninho10, the top ranked player. i was looking forward to seeing if i could beat him, but whatever.

Yep same here, one of the many.

Brollipower
12-02-2011, 01:26 AM
He is #1 because he is a lifeless cave dweller who plays all friggin' day. I've played him a couple of times and never lost. A lot of players on this forum are way better than him.

Like i said before: ranking means nothing. If you play a lot you'll get high up the rankings. But players i know to be good aren't in the top 10.

mrund3rd09
12-03-2011, 09:50 AM
I was going to buy this game, but the seller made a mistake and sent me top spin 3. I ended up getting a refund, and keeping this game for free.

Can someone comment on how top spin 4 is better than 3? I'm interested specifically in the gameplay.

flyinghippos101
12-03-2011, 04:53 PM
PS3 TS4 community still sounds live and well based on TT's PS3 community. can't really say the same for XBL a lot of the time, takes ages to get into a single match.

MichaelNadal
12-03-2011, 05:32 PM
PS3 TS4 community still sounds live and well based on TT's PS3 community. can't really say the same for XBL a lot of the time, takes ages to get into a single match.

TS4 is still poppin' like crazy on PS3, i always have a match within 60 seconds.

jamesblakefan#1
12-03-2011, 10:56 PM
Can someone comment on how top spin 4 is better than 3? I'm interested specifically in the gameplay.

Do a cursory search through this thread and you'll find a lot. In short, TS4 is better than TS3 in almost every area IMO. It has it's flaws but overall it's a much better representation of the sport and a lot easier to play than TS4. I tried going back to TS3 but couldn't, which is a sign that the improvement from TS3 to TS4 was vast.

ShooterMcMarco
12-04-2011, 01:05 AM

I was getting blitzed by the AI on very hard also until I figured out the trick to beating them: use control shots to move them around and mix in slices, then use power shots to end the point after yanking them from corner to corner. Before I was trying to overpower them by always hitting high powered groundstrokes, but it was ineffective because they got there in time and counter-punched. A perfectly timed control shot will do plenty of damage and you can hit closer to the lines with any stroke. Also use body serves against them to produce a short ball off your serve, then hit a sharply angled topspin shot to open the court and set yourself up for a winner. Master dropshots on short balls after you pin them deep beyond the baseline. Using these strategies I am able to consistently triple bagel the AI on expert.

CourtlyLove
12-05-2011, 07:30 PM
I'm sure this has all been said before, but the difficulties in this game are kind of ridiculous.

I was doing a career mode--played in Normal mode all the way through, and all the way from "minor" tournaments all the way through the Masters I'm dominating, hardly losing a game. Never lost a set. Even playing in the Miami semis against Djokovic on Normal I have no trouble at all.

Then I switch it to Hard for a match and I have trouble winning even a few games, regardless of tournament level.

There has to be a middle ground here...or else I'm going to start career mode from the beginning again, I guess, in Hard mode.

rdis10093
12-05-2011, 07:52 PM
I can win grandslams on hard, it's very hard that makes me pull my hairs out. I always get to the semis and get killed.

MichaelNadal
12-05-2011, 10:08 PM
I'm sure this has all been said before, but the difficulties in this game are kind of ridiculous.

I was doing a career mode--played in Normal mode all the way through, and all the way from "minor" tournaments all the way through the Masters I'm dominating, hardly losing a game. Never lost a set. Even playing in the Miami semis against Djokovic on Normal I have no trouble at all.

Then I switch it to Hard for a match and I have trouble winning even a few games, regardless of tournament level.

There has to be a middle ground here...or else I'm going to start career mode from the beginning again, I guess, in Hard mode.

Same boat, normal is too easy, and hard is RIDICULOUS in career mode, they are machines.

Hood_Man
12-16-2011, 04:18 PM
I was getting blitzed by the AI on very hard also until I figured out the trick to beating them: use control shots to move them around and mix in slices, then use power shots to end the point after yanking them from corner to corner. Before I was trying to overpower them by always hitting high powered groundstrokes, but it was ineffective because they got there in time and counter-punched. A perfectly timed control shot will do plenty of damage and you can hit closer to the lines with any stroke. Also use body serves against them to produce a short ball off your serve, then hit a sharply angled topspin shot to open the court and set yourself up for a winner. Master dropshots on short balls after you pin them deep beyond the baseline. Using these strategies I am able to consistently triple bagel the AI on expert.

I'm a bit late replying but thanks, I'll give that a go. To be honest I've tried it before but I was never patient enough before going for a big shot but I'm glad to hear that it works.

I haven't played the game in ages actually. I managed to win "Wimbledon" on my first attempt, and it was actually quite exciting. So much so that I'm really beginning to regret not choosing the real tennis option of first to 6 games, best of 3 or 5 sets. Why couldn't they give us the option of changing that during the career?

It's a great game but sometimes something will happen that will just... ngggrh! :evil:

Fuji
12-16-2011, 07:30 PM
I played again a few days ago. Lots of fun, except for the stupid broken characters who can line serve at 150MPH. It's just ridiculous! If you have to play using a broken toon, what's the point of playing? I managed to get a few games off (6-2,6-2) loss by holding serve and breaking once with luck timed returns, but it's just awful.

-Fuji

Cup8489
12-16-2011, 07:42 PM
It really gets old how power players once again dominate the online.

I have a character with 10 OB and 10 DB, with a return serve counter setup.. I can beat the big hitters that are on my level.. but it just gets old playing the same person over and over.

MichaelNadal
12-22-2011, 12:40 AM
Few questions for you guys.

1. which arena is your favorite?
2. who do you play with in 2Kopen?
3. lastly, when it's time for topspin 5 what adjustments would you make?

For me, my favorite arena's are probably Paris Masters, The USO, and Indian Wells.

I play with Becker or Roddick mostly, but been Davydenko a few times lately and like him.

Lastly, in topspin 5, I really hope they update the players, their kits etc, but leave the gameplay mostly the same, I feel like it's perfect and they don't need to mess with it.

mrund3rd09
12-27-2011, 01:00 AM
is 10 OB and 10 DB the most efficient setup out there?

I don't play online, but I want to create a player that can play all court and still be able to have a 85+ forehand, 75+ backhand, and 50+ volley.

Is that possible?

Also, what's reflex suppose to do anyway? Increase your odds of getting a perfect swing?

mrund3rd09
12-27-2011, 01:01 AM
Lastly, it seems like with different setups, you get different coaches that give you different bonuses. Tricky.

Brollipower
12-27-2011, 05:52 AM

For me, my favorite arena's are probably Paris Masters, The USO, and Indian Wells.

I play with Becker or Roddick mostly, but been Davydenko a few times lately and like him.

Lastly, in topspin 5, I really hope they update the players, their kits etc, but leave the gameplay mostly the same, I feel like it's perfect and they don't need to mess with it.

1. Paris Masters, Amsterdam and Hamburg. I absolutely hate the Sjanghai court!!!
2. Becker, Djokovic and Federer
3. Correct ALL the serve motions and strokes and more pro's

Hood_Man
12-27-2011, 06:10 PM
Just beaten Nadal in 5 sets at the French Open :D Barely survived being bagelled in the first set when I was trying to outslice him and move him about, and at 5-0 I decided to pull a Soderling and just hit rockets. For the next 10 points and 2 games it worked, but he still won it.

Next 2 sets I won 6-4 7-5, only managing to hold serve two or three times I think, and then lost the tiebreak in the 4th.

Won the fifth 6-1 8)

I had 127 winners and 20 UE, Nadal had 103 winners and 23 UE, and in total there were 25 breaks of serve.

That was tense... btw is anyone else having trouble signing in? I turn my PS3 on and I see the message saying I've logged in, and then two minutes later an error message appears saying I've been logged out :/ I know someone else this is happening to, just wondering if it's more widespread?

[EDIT]

P.S. managed to do slightly better against Murray, I lost 3-0 3-0 again but I managed to win more than 10 points for once. Baby steps...

Mansewerz
12-27-2011, 11:17 PM
The game is still too slow, and not enough errors. Seriously, can we get some realistic stats? 103 winners, especially for Rafa?

Big_Dangerous
12-27-2011, 11:57 PM
I'm thinking about getting a tennis game, but should I get TS4 or wait for Grand Slam Tennis 2?

Zildite
12-28-2011, 01:08 AM
For the questions...
1. HC - USO, Miami and that Swedish court with the reflective surface :)
Clay - Madrid
Grass - The German one I think
Carpet - Paris
2. Djokovic & Bouchard
3. What has been said before like with motions (accuracy and variety) and more accurate player stats (Murray having a better FH than BH), but also on my wishlist is hopefully some more official licenses of the venues. Top of my list would be Monte Carlo. From picturesque seaside courts to an indoor venue half covered in shadows in TS4... :neutral: and Wimbledon of course if it was possible.
A wider range of gear would be nice (Wilson?).
Characters I would like added... some guys like Soderling, Monfils, Tsonga, Del Potro and Kohlschreiber :razz:
Option to play career as a pro player. Deeper kind of career mode too, I heard Grand Slam Tennis 2 will have quite a good one.
Fix the World Tour side of the online play too, those barely functional lobbies :mad:

The game is still too slow, and not enough errors. Seriously, can we get some realistic stats? 103 winners, especially for Rafa?

When has there ever been a tennis video game with a realistic amount of winners and errors? Really, I don't know of any.
This extends to sports games in general too, especially once you are good enough. Like if you hit with perfect timing almost all the time in TS4, you shouldn't make many errors. If the CPU made more errors it might become too easy. It would be for me, at least.
They could have a bit higher error rate, however. Not something random though, rather something less forgiving.

I'm thinking about getting a tennis game, but should I get TS4 or wait for Grand Slam Tennis 2?

Don't know much about GST2 (only a few people have played the demo, even) but I can recommend TS4. I guess it would be cheaper too?

Big_Dangerous
12-28-2011, 01:33 AM
For the questions...
Clay - Madrid
Carpet - Paris
2. Djokovic & Bouchard
3. What has been said before like with motions (accuracy and variety) and more accurate player stats (Murray having a better FH than BH), but also on my wishlist is hopefully some more official licenses of the venues. Top of my list would be Monte Carlo. From picturesque seaside courts to an indoor venue half covered in shadows in TS4... :neutral: and Wimbledon of course if it was possible.
Characters I would like added... some guys like Soderling, Monfils, Tsonga, Del Potro and Kohlschreiber :razz:
Option to play career as a pro player. Deeper kind of career mode too, I heard Grand Slam Tennis 2 will have quite a good one.
Fix the World Tour side of the online play too, those barely functional lobbies :mad:

When has there ever been a tennis video game with a realistic amount of winners and errors? Really, I don't know of any.
This extends to sports games in general too, especially once you are good enough. Like if you hit with perfect timing almost all the time in TS4, you shouldn't make many errors. If the CPU made more errors it might become too easy. It would be for me, at least.
They could have a bit higher error rate, however. Not something random though, rather something less forgiving.

Don't know much about GST2 (only a few people have played the demo, even) but I can recommend TS4. I guess it would be cheaper too?

Yeah I can get TS4 for like 15 bucks plus 4 for shipping, and it's brand new.

I think I'll just go that route.

Thanks!

BigServer1
12-28-2011, 01:11 PM

I love the WTF arena in London, I also like Paris and Rod Laver Arena.

Don't play online so I can't answer #2.

For adjustments in TS5...In order of importance:

1) More accurate/realistic player builds
2) More realistic gameplay. On VH I'll hit 15+ winners and have fewer than 3 errors (in a one set match to 3 games in career mode), regardless of whether I win or lose. The same can be said for the AI opponent.
3) Deeper, more interesting career mode - this, for my money, is why TS isn't great. The current career mode is awful.
4) More pros overall, so I'm not playing Aaron Santiago in the QF of Indian Wells
5) Commentary
6) A larger compliment of racquets/gear. A Microgel Prestige? No Wilson? Nike and Adidas Clothing without any good options? It sucks

Those are the big things.

PS. One more note about gameplay: Can they PLEASE fix the AI serving in career mode? Roddick is the only guy who can get the serve up there in career mode. I'll be playing Federer or Djokovic (any of them, really), and they'll sit there and lay in 100 MPH first serves...Even on Hard, Very Hard and Expert, their serve speeds are whack. Please fix this, 2K.

flyinghippos101
12-28-2011, 04:33 PM
Landed an unreal deal during Boxing Day: a 320 GB PS3 w/ Uncharted 3 for $150!

MichaelNadal and other TT PS3 users, hook me up with your PSN usernames. Given how cheap TS is now, I might just end up getting it for PS3 too

Big_Dangerous
12-28-2011, 08:31 PM

MichaelNadal and other TT PS3 users, hook me up with your PSN usernames. Given how cheap TS is now, I might just end up getting it for PS3 too

BigDangerous311 on PSN

Hopefully I'll get my TS4 soon and can start playing!

I've got so many games to play lolz.

I ended up getting Starcraft 2, Resistance 3, MW 3 and Playstation Move for Christmas.

MichaelNadal
12-28-2011, 09:03 PM

Im ncmoviefan :)

@Those who said WTF arena, etc, I don't like playing indoors bc the ball seems to move slower through the air, the outdoor hardcourts feel so much faster. Also I hate the way the ball sound and contact with the racquet is muffled.

Mansewerz
12-28-2011, 10:10 PM
For the questions...
Clay - Madrid
Carpet - Paris
2. Djokovic & Bouchard

Play tennis elbow on the computer. That's how you do it right.

MichaelNadal
01-01-2012, 06:37 PM
One of the most fun matches i've ever had in 2Kopen, He had a match point in the super tiebreak, I was Becker. He was really good but I did a great job mixing up my serve placement and pace. Look at the stats!!

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/mikeynitro/20120101_222917.jpg

Fuji
01-01-2012, 06:59 PM

Mine is As_Bold_As_Lions

I'm not that great, but my return of serve is godly. LOL! I score a lot of winners off of it. :oops:

-Fuji

Zildite
01-01-2012, 07:05 PM
One of the most fun matches i've ever had in 2Kopen, He had a match point in the super tiebreak, I was Becker. He was really good but I did a great job mixing up my serve placement and pace. Look at the stats!!

Could hardly be closer :) Good job doing it at Cincinnati too, I have problems seeing the ball on that court.

tenn23
01-01-2012, 07:07 PM
Finally won my first "minor tournament" today at the very hard level. This game is much more challenging than Top Spin 1 on the original xbox was.

MichaelNadal
01-01-2012, 07:47 PM
Could hardly be closer :) Good job doing it at Cincinnati too, I have problems seeing the ball on that court.

ME TOO man, the ball blends in to the court and especially the outside of the court. I have trouble seeing in Amsterdam too bc of the glare and reflection of the roof design.

paulorenzo
01-03-2012, 06:07 AM

same here. i also have a problem with barcelona and miami because of the white backdrops on one side of the courts.

Power Player
01-03-2012, 06:46 AM

I'd wait just to see. I have the GS2 demo, and while some folks here do not like it, to me it provides the best atmosphere. The players (besides some one handed backhand glitches) hit their real strokes with motion capture tech, and once you hit the ball with proper timing and move your feet like real tennis, the players on court look very fluid.

It's an addicting game. I prefer it to TS4, but we will have to see what the final release is like.

DRII
01-03-2012, 07:06 AM
I'd wait just to see. I have the GS2 demo, and while some folks here do not like it, to me it provides the best atmosphere. The players (besides some one handed backhand glitches) hit their real strokes with motion capture tech, and once you hit the ball with proper timing and move your feet like real tennis, the players on court look very fluid.

It's an addicting game. I prefer it to TS4, but we will have to see what the final release is like.

Thank goodness! I'm hoping I like it...

TS4 would be ok, if the movement was not absolutely horrific!

Sales of TS4 have paled in comparison to TS3...

Any good tennis video game should allow for hitting on the run! This is where TS4 and VT4 fail! TS3 allowed this (at least the PS3 version). In TS4, the computer actually dictates how you move at times, which is disgusting!

jamesblakefan#1
01-03-2012, 08:40 AM
To me GST2 the players have no weight to them. None. They move around like floaty balloons. TS4 movement might be a bit harder to some, but it's much more realistic in that you aren't just jerking around out there. I dunno how else to describe it.

Power Player
01-03-2012, 09:02 AM
I dont know..they move the same to me as any other tennis game. I can get them back to the middle of the court after a groundie, but the court covergae is the same. I never thought TS4 had great movement at all. It seemed like players with the right stats could get to anything, and in GS2, it does not seem to be the case.

MichaelNadal
01-03-2012, 10:40 AM
To me GST2 the players have no weight to them. None. They move around like floaty balloons. TS4 movement might be a bit harder to some, but it's much more realistic in that you aren't just jerking around out there. I dunno how else to describe it.

I just watched a gameplay video, it's not my style, I love the commentary, and the way the players look, and that they have their current outfits :) but I hate the way the move, the way the ball looks, and how arcade-like it is. I'll stick with TS4.

Power Player
01-03-2012, 10:56 AM
I just watched a gameplay video, it's not my style, I love the commentary, and the way the players look, and that they have their current outfits :) but I hate the way the move, the way the ball looks, and how arcade-like it is. I'll stick with TS4.

Make sure the people playing are good players. If not, the game looks a lot worse. I saw gameplay vids and thought it looked kind of weird, but then wehn I got good at the game, it played and looked a lot like real tennis.

Don't get me wrong, there are arcade elements, and it is more arcade, but the feel is awesome.

DRII
01-03-2012, 10:57 AM

How did you feel about TS3's movement?

Also GST2 is the demo right now, hopefully they will continue to refine...

jamesblakefan#1
01-03-2012, 11:24 AM
How did you feel about TS3's movement?

Also GST2 is the demo right now, hopefully they will continue to refine...

TS3's movement was more clunky, players had too much weight to them and it was too hard to make simple quick movements. With the GST demo I feel like the players are too easy to move, too floaty. It's ok from the baseline I guess, but as far as going from the baseline to the net it's much too easy, which is why you see things like the CPU being a brick wall at net and Nadal coming in 10+ times in 3 games.

TS4 is just right IMO because you can move on the baseline well, transition to the net with the right shots, etc. Not to mention things like sliding on clay, which have been practically non-existent in previous tennis games. I just feel like GST the movement is off. The baseline game isn't that bad, but they will need to tweak the CPU's tendency to come to the net every point and be a brick wall for me to even think about buying it.

BigServer1
01-03-2012, 11:36 AM
I'm just hoping that in GS2 (or Top Spin 5, or whatever), that opponents will serve harder than 100 MPH in career mode, and that Winner/UE ratios get a little more realistic.

Those are two things that KILL me about TS4.

Power Player
01-03-2012, 11:48 AM
GS2 on superstar, I face some serves from the AI that are 130 MPH. There are not a lot of UE's but I believe they can tweak that. There are mistakes though, and you can force the AI to screw up if you hit Good shots placed properly..the AI will hit long or into the net at times when you do this.

When you get aced by a big serve you really feel it and can tell it was a big one.

Nadal does not serve much bigger than 122-125. Djoker will bring more heat at 130.

The computer is a wall at net, but I figured out how to pass it, and once you can do that, it helps a lot.

I havent lost on superstar in days now. Ill probably delete and download the demo when it is released for real. I want to see if anything has changed.

jamesblakefan#1
01-03-2012, 12:24 PM
I know others have said they can beat the AI regularly now at the demo on Superstar, and I feel I could too if I came to the net everytime since net play is so easy in this game. I can't figure how to pass the CPU but I saw someone say they point the stick in one direction and change it at the last second to pass, which is kinda a fluky way of playing. I really hope that's fixed, its' one thing that I grew to hate about VT, is the ease of the net game.

Power Player
01-03-2012, 12:39 PM
No..its not flukey..trust me..it feels awesome.

It is like you are freezing the opponent in a regular match. If you aim CC while holding the shot button ( I use the face buttons..couldnt jive with the sticks) and then change your AIM to DTL before releasing, you will hit a gorgeous winner. It actually is rather satisfying to hit this shot.

TahoeTennis
01-03-2012, 03:01 PM
Anyone up for a game tonight? I'm free most evenings this week.

ValkorTahoe on PSN.

Challenge!

MichaelNadal
01-03-2012, 03:32 PM
Anyone up for a game tonight? I'm free most evenings this week.

ValkorTahoe on PSN.

Challenge!

Ok I'll add you, hope I didn't miss u

TahoeTennis
01-03-2012, 10:03 PM
Ok I'll add you, hope I didn't miss u

Great battles!

MichaelNadal
01-06-2012, 08:42 AM
Great battles!

Yeah they were!

MichaelNadal
01-09-2012, 12:12 PM
Another super close match I won, was very fun

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/mikeynitro/20120108_000350.jpg

zcarzach
01-09-2012, 12:21 PM
Never mind.

niff
01-10-2012, 09:05 AM
I am so terrible at this game *facepalm* It's addictive though.

Fuji
01-10-2012, 02:42 PM
I'm not sure who I played last night but it was awesome! Great game to whoever it was. One of the closest matches I've played in a while!

-Fuji

Larrysümmers
01-10-2012, 03:25 PM
i need to get a gaming system lol

MichaelNadal
01-11-2012, 10:46 AM
i need to get a gaming system lol

Yeah you do, PS3 ftw.

Lionheart392
01-17-2012, 03:40 PM
Phew! Just won an epic online match, 0-3 3-0 13-11. I saved 2 match points in the super tiebreak. I got thrashed in the first set and assumed it would continue that way, but somehow I came back! I know it's just a game but it feels pretty damn good. :)

MichaelNadal
01-18-2012, 11:14 AM
Phew! Just won an epic online match, 0-3 3-0 13-11. I saved 2 match points in the super tiebreak. I got thrashed in the first set and assumed it would continue that way, but somehow I came back! I know it's just a game but it feels pretty damn good. :)

Totally feel you, I love winning a tight match, especially in a 3rd set super TB.

MichaelNadal
03-20-2012, 06:58 PM
Bump, who still plays? I do :)

Fuji
03-20-2012, 07:06 PM
Bump, who still plays? I do :)

I still play every other day when I'm free! I've been playing well, but I've had some problem with force laggers lately.

-Fuji

jamesblakefan#1
03-20-2012, 09:38 PM
I won my first slam on very hard a few weeks ago. Beat Nadal 6-4, 7-6, 1-6, 6-2 in the French Open Finals. :)

Didn't want to bump to gloat about it, but somehow got over the impossible slam Semi/Final hump. Played Simon in the Semis after he upset Djokovic, which helped somewhat. I'd won Miami, IW, and Madrid prior to RG. Beat Nadal in the Madrid semis after being 6-1, 5-1 down, 1-6, 7-6, 7-5. Beat Djoker in the finals 2 and 2. Now face Davydenko in the Wimby (Dublin) QF.

cknobman
03-21-2012, 07:24 AM
I won my first slam on very hard a few weeks ago. Beat Nadal 6-4, 7-6, 1-6, 6-2 in the French Open Finals. :)

Didn't want to bump to gloat about it, but somehow got over the impossible slam Semi/Final hump. Played Simon in the Semis after he upset Djokovic, which helped somewhat. I'd won Miami, IW, and Madrid prior to RG. Beat Nadal in the Madrid semis after being 6-1, 5-1 down, 1-6, 7-6, 7-5. Beat Djoker in the finals 2 and 2. Now face Davydenko in the Wimby (Dublin) QF.

What was the trick to beating the infamous GS semi super computer mode?

jamesblakefan#1
03-21-2012, 10:20 AM
What was the trick to beating the infamous GS semi super computer mode?

Playing Simon. :)

Seriously though, you have to be on fire to beat these guys. Against Nadal in the finals I just tried to hit with depth and force him into short balls to lead to easy put away winners or chances for my guy to finish at the net.

I'm playing on Expert now and it seems like the CPU plays a little less predictably. I get wrong footed a lot more and can't just automatically know where the CPU will hit the ball every time.

Brollipower
03-22-2012, 02:55 AM
I just beat the computer at their own game. Make 'm run all over the place with short crosscourt shots. Better to do it before they do....

Sent from my TITAN X310e using Board Express

cknobman
03-22-2012, 07:39 AM
I need to improve my short crosscourt groundstrokes, that is the one shot I have difficulty with this game. (crosscourt is not the real problem is the combination of going crosscourt and hitting short as I have not found it easy to achieve with the thumbstick)

jamesblakefan#1
03-22-2012, 08:57 AM
I need to improve my short crosscourt groundstrokes, that is the one shot I have difficulty with this game. (crosscourt is not the real problem is the combination of going crosscourt and hitting short as I have not found it easy to achieve with the thumbstick)

Yeah, I did mix in short cross court topsin FH's and BHs which also tended to lead to short balls for me to put away and opened the court up. You also gotta serve big and mix up your serves - before I think I only served to one spot too much. Now I mix it up more w/ serves out wide to the deuce court, slice serves, body serves, to keep the CPU off balance so they can't read what you're doing every time.

MichaelNadal
03-24-2012, 05:35 PM
I still play every other day when I'm free! I've been playing well, but I've had some problem with force laggers lately.

-Fuji

Wow, I haven't played a force lagger in forever now! My ranking is up to 203 in 2K open.

Brollipower
03-26-2012, 09:20 AM
I played a ****ing cheat on WT just now. His name is sevan_a_pelearrr. I was beating him 3-1 2-1 15-0 and all a sudden he left and than he gets awarded the win.....

I've had it with the cheesers and cheaters on the WT and stick to the 2k Open from now on.

TommieF
03-26-2012, 04:43 PM
Is there a watch mode on Top Spin 4? My kids like to watch the computer play each other?

If not, does any Wii tennis game have the watch mode?

Fuji
03-26-2012, 04:57 PM
Wow, I haven't played a force lagger in forever now! My ranking is up to 203 in 2K open.

Lucky guy, I just play pick up matches, I still haven't started the 2K open!

I've played a string of laggers and such lately.

The biggest thing I've faced so far is the people with 100 Power doing angle serves. It's really difficult to play against.

-Fuji

jamesblakefan#1
03-26-2012, 07:39 PM
I think I officially cracked the GS semi god code. Beat Nadal and Fed in the semis/finals to win Dublin on Expert. :D

MichaelNadal
03-28-2012, 03:36 PM
Can u not use a headset and talk when u play people online on this game? :(

jamesblakefan#1
03-28-2012, 03:47 PM
On Xbox you can for sure. Not sure about PS3

MichaelNadal
03-29-2012, 07:40 PM
On Xbox you can for sure. Not sure about PS3

Maybe im doing something wrong then, what do u have to do? Does it kick in by itself or what? ( I have a ps3 but it should still work if it does for xbox)

jamesblakefan#1
03-29-2012, 08:25 PM
Maybe im doing something wrong then, what do u have to do? Does it kick in by itself or what? ( I have a ps3 but it should still work if it does for xbox)

I don't have PS3 so I don't know. Xbox has Party that lets you chat even when you're playing a different game as someone (and of course works w/ TS4)

flyinghippos101
04-01-2012, 07:46 AM
Haven't played in months. Dropped down 400 rankings, now ranked 920 :(

Netspirit
04-28-2012, 02:54 PM
Playing exhibitions matches as Bouchard. Found it a good replacement for Federer, underpowered just to make things a bit more challenging. Her "amazing first volley" is indeed amazing, which makes her pretty much the only woman in TS4 that can volley well.

It is fun that most opponents try "not to hit hard" at first, seeing that little L19 girl in front of them. Then, as the match progresses, they gradually realize that something utterly wrong is going on, but it's usually too late. )

MichaelNadal
05-27-2012, 02:33 PM
Is anyone else having problems connecting to 2kOpen? It's getting on my last good nerve.

MichaelNadal
06-20-2012, 11:37 PM
Once again, it's down. Is it just me?

djarvik
06-21-2012, 11:12 AM
Yeah man, not just you - it is down.

MichaelNadal
06-21-2012, 10:20 PM
Ok 2kOpen is for everyone then, but player matches still work in regular online matches.

Zildite
07-07-2012, 06:01 AM
Bouchard just won the junior Wimbledon title. 2K made a good pick :) Hadn't heard of her before this game

bezs
07-08-2012, 05:09 AM
One of my best achievements of the game winning a game in the 2K Open using her. :p

maverick66
07-17-2012, 12:26 PM
So i just bought this and I have a few questions.

I see my opponent online hitting the ball harder than me even when I dont give them time. and they tire alot faster. Are they hitting the RB button which is the approach shot button on each shot or is it something else?

also is there a quick way to level up a created person. I dont feel like tredging through hour after hour of tennis to get them able to play online.

jamesblakefan#1
07-17-2012, 12:51 PM
So i just bought this and I have a few questions.

I see my opponent online hitting the ball harder than me even when I dont give them time. and they tire alot faster. Are they hitting the RB button which is the approach shot button on each shot or is it something else?

Approach shot button does give a bit of a boost, which is one of the few flaws on this game. Also some people online are just insane with their timing, and fatigue and speed don't matter as much as they should when it comes to being able to hit good shots.

also is there a quick way to level up a created person. I dont feel like tredging through hour after hour of tennis to get them able to play online.

I think playing online gives more XP than playing career mode. I don't remember since it's been so long, but I'm pretty sure that's the case. The good thing is once you reach level 20 w/ one player, all of the players you create afterwards will automatically be level 20 right off the bat, so you only have to work for the XPs w/ one player.

maverick66
07-17-2012, 04:51 PM
Approach shot button does give a bit of a boost, which is one of the few flaws on this game. Also some people online are just insane with their timing, and fatigue and speed don't matter as much as they should when it comes to being able to hit good shots.

I think playing online gives more XP than playing career mode. I don't remember since it's been so long, but I'm pretty sure that's the case. The good thing is once you reach level 20 w/ one player, all of the players you create afterwards will automatically be level 20 right off the bat, so you only have to work for the XPs w/ one player.

I wore down a roddick last night with simon and a Federer today with courier. So it does seem to work somewhat on the fatigue but I agree it doesnt do enough they where still running side to side and hitting a pretty decent ball. Especially Fed.

I played a few with a created player but he is not trained so untrained against level 20's not good. Also I played two womens created matches and got two different guys from Asia that created he-shes. Is that pretty much the norm in the womens tour?

jamesblakefan#1
07-17-2012, 04:53 PM
I wore down a roddick last night with simon and a Federer today with courier. So it does seem to work somewhat on the fatigue but I agree it doesnt do enough they where still running side to side and hitting a pretty decent ball. Especially Fed.

I played a few with a created player but he is not trained so untrained against level 20's not good. Also I played two womens created matches and got two different guys from Asia that created he-shes. Is that pretty much the norm in the womens tour?

Was it quick match or in the actual women's tourneys? I know quick match is intergender (i.e. men play women), but women's tour is usually only women.

maverick66
07-17-2012, 05:13 PM
Was it quick match or in the actual women's tourneys? I know quick match is intergender (i.e. men play women), but women's tour is usually only women.

ok that might explain it. I just got it yesterday but ya it was like a dude but with make up. Just odd.

I like the game its pretty fun but it has its flaws. I am not a fan of the difficulty of aiming the serve but with time I shall get it down.

hollywood9826
07-18-2012, 06:00 AM
I think Ill have to pick it up. I like one and 2 didnt play 3 though.

Its somethign to pass the time before borderlands 2 and AC3. Ive played Tarils Evolution enough to play somethign else.

I'll pick it up today on my way home.

If anyone wants to play on XBL my tag is Hollywood9826.

MUKAMOmember
07-18-2012, 08:16 AM
I was about to purchase TopSpin 4, but I looked at some videos on YT first, to get a glimpse at how the game looks. I noticed that the service motion of Federer in the game isn't accurate. He doesn't move his feet to come together, he keeps them spread apart, without any large movements. This kind of irritated me, since I like the games and players to be as realistic as possible. I think I'll buy Virtua Tennis 4 instead.

jamesblakefan#1
07-18-2012, 09:54 AM
I was about to purchase TopSpin 4, but I looked at some videos on YT first, to get a glimpse at how the game looks. I noticed that the service motion of Federer in the game isn't accurate. He doesn't move his feet to come together, he keeps them spread apart, without any large movements. This kind of irritated me, since I like the games and players to be as realistic as possible. I think I'll buy Virtua Tennis 4 instead.

You say you want the game as realistic as possible, then say you're gonna get vt4 which is arcade as hell. :?

Granted it's not as bad as gst2 with Nadal and djokovic hitting topspin 1hbh regularly

maverick66
07-18-2012, 10:08 AM
I beat someone using Federer with Zvonareva last night. Grinded out like a beast. Game is fun and you can play realistically and win.
Also the timing is really easy once you play for a little. I find to that people get out of position really bad if they hold down RB. It opens up the court really easily if they dont hit a clean winner.
The career mode is still blah to me. Ever since online play I just cant stand playing solo.

jamesblakefan#1
07-18-2012, 10:19 AM
I beat someone using Federer with Zvonareva last night. Grinded out like a beast. Game is fun and you can play realistically and win.
Also the timing is really easy once you play for a little. I find to that people get out of position really bad if they hold down RB. It opens up the court really easily if they dont hit a clean winner.
The career mode is still blah to me. Ever since online play I just cant stand playing solo.

What's your GT? Haven't played with the pros in awhile, might have to see how Blake does against you. ;)

maverick66
07-18-2012, 11:08 AM
its punchedbear

maverick66
07-18-2012, 01:35 PM
Sorry JBF I lost power. We are having bad storms going on so when they pass I will get back on and kick your butt this time. ;)

hollywood9826
07-19-2012, 03:23 AM
I picked it up gimme some time to get a little better so I dont get bageled and breadsticked right off the bat.

Feels way different than what I remeber from one and two though.

paulorenzo
07-19-2012, 03:41 AM
You say you want the game as realistic as possible, then say you're gonna get vt4 which is arcade as hell. :?

Granted it's not as bad as gst2 with Nadal and djokovic hitting topspin 1hbh regularly

tried a bunch of times to try to like gst2, in fact as recently as a couple weeks ago, but failed every time. lol, that game is just the worst thing to play for people who actually play/follow tennis. i do like all the contemporary gear, though.

anyway, i agree that vt4's gameplay is way more arcade-like than ts4, but the animations in vt4 are more true to the pros than ts4 and especially gst2. i'm hoping 2k fixes the problems in the game (most of which are just inaccuracies in portraying pros' gear and animations) for ts5.

paulorenzo
07-19-2012, 03:51 AM

i love when someone relies heavily on the R1 button/RB on every point. i once had a person tell me (after i handily beat them on 2kopen and suggested they hop off the R1) that "R1 wins points" and proceeded to call me a noob. i found it ironic, lol.

jamesblakefan#1
07-19-2012, 06:05 AM
i love when someone relies heavily on the R1 button/RB on every point. i once had a person tell me (after i handily beat them on 2kopen and suggested they hop off the R1) that "R1 wins points" and proceeded to call me a noob. i found it ironic, lol.

The way to beat those guys is just by trying to hit it deep right back at them, usually down the middle. They usually don't have time to reposition themselves if they choose to try to get back to the baseline instead of actually coming to the net, and it can lead to an error or short ball you can put away for an easy winner.