PDA

View Full Version : Top Spin 4 Discussion Thread

Pages : 1 2 3 4 5 [6]

maverick66
07-19-2012, 09:27 AM
I picked it up gimme some time to get a little better so I dont get bageled and breadsticked right off the bat.

Feels way different than what I remeber from one and two though.

Its all about timing. It shouldnt take to long I have only been playing for a few days and I was able to play with JBF. I got some work to do before I start beating him but we where having solid points so the learning curve is there but not to extreme.

The thing with the R1/RB button is just so simple to beat. The more I play the more I start to notice when they lean into the ball and kinda half stop to re position. Then they are massively out of position.

jamesblakefan#1
07-19-2012, 06:38 PM
I'm on XBL right now if anyone wants to play. GT dsavbeast012

maverick66
07-20-2012, 09:24 AM
JBF felt the awesomeness that is Pat Rafter. Sure you beat me when I was Courier, and you beat me when I was Davydenko, But Rafter is an animal.

jamesblakefan#1
07-20-2012, 09:37 AM
JBF felt the awesomeness that is Pat Rafter. Sure you beat me when I was Courier, and you beat me when I was Davydenko, But Rafter is an animal.

Yeah, yeah, you hit a lot of lucky shots. A lot of framers. :p

/Serena

In all seriousness though, you did a good job w/ the S&V and mixing it up by not S&Ving every point and keeping me off balance. It's always tough to play S&V guys bc of no rhythm and one break practically being the set, especially in 3 game sets. GG

paulorenzo
07-21-2012, 01:37 AM
The way to beat those guys is just by trying to hit it deep right back at them, usually down the middle. They usually don't have time to reposition themselves if they choose to try to get back to the baseline instead of actually coming to the net, and it can lead to an error or short ball you can put away for an easy winner.

ahh, interesting. i've at times gone down the middle deep to try to offset the opponent's timing, but never have i consciously done it against someone using R1. i'll def try this out next time. normally i just try to ensure i hit perfectly timed shots as much as possible, especially on big points, that does the trick.

USOpenfan
07-21-2012, 02:53 AM
I was just fixing to make a "best tennis video game of all time" thread and then the search engine brought up this thread so no need. I play Top spin 4, GST2, and VT4/2009. Top spin 4 is my favorite game for the PS3...very realistic in most aspects and the difficulty is realistic. I actually kind of enjoy GST2 online although I hate the serve and volley aspect of the game.

Virtua tennis 4 and 2009 are fun to play as an alternative to top spin but I HATE the yellow ball trail..why not let us turn that off?

BHiC
07-21-2012, 04:02 AM
I like the way the game plays, but the service motion is really annoying. I hate that the server will bring his foot up if he is staying back, but leave it back when he is S&Ving, thus telegraphing what you are about to do. Other than that, I think the game is great.

(If anyone wants to play me, I am ace1900bc on PSN)

paulorenzo
07-21-2012, 10:09 PM
I like the way the game plays, but the service motion is really annoying. I hate that the server will bring his foot up if he is staying back, but leave it back when he is S&Ving, thus telegraphing what you are about to do. Other than that, I think the game is great.

(If anyone wants to play me, I am ace1900bc on PSN)

yeah. at first, i thought the animations, as a whole, were under researched in relation to the pros.

then i played gst2

USOpenfan
07-23-2012, 12:31 PM
What pro player is the best to use in Top Spin 4 in your expereicne. I used to think it was Rafa as he is fast and accurate on the game but lately I've been thinking that Andy Roddick is the best because I've lost to him every time I've played him online. Djoker doesn't play as well as I would prefer although the computer plays on another level with Djoker in a Grand Slam Semi/final.

maverick66
07-23-2012, 03:21 PM
depends on how you play.

And every pro can beat every other pro. There isnt a pick this guy you win selection. I beat a good djoker player last night with Simon and a really good Roddick user with Wawrinka so every pro is pretty even. If you play a federer with great timing though be ready to grind because that has been my toughest guy to beat.

hollywood9826
07-26-2012, 04:01 AM
You handled pretty routinely there Mav. Maybe if I keep playing I'll have a chance.

Do people not play this online or is there some secret to finding matches? Do most poeple use pros as oppesed to created guys?

maverick66
07-26-2012, 09:02 AM
its pretty mixed. I dont play with a created player much. I just dont have the patience to build them offline. The tour thing or whatever it is called where you use a pro is normally pretty easy to find a match. Sometimes it takes a min but for the most part its a few secs.

Also your timing just isnt there yet. It comes with playing alot. Plus playing against people is a much harder game. Playing against JBF helped me alot because I had to be smarter to beat him. I couldnt do the same simple thing over and over or he adjusted. Against the computer I could do the same pattern all night.

hollywood9826
07-26-2012, 10:30 AM
It surprised me how much faster youre shots wee going comapred to mine. Even the ones when i had perfect timing power shot with the A button.

Ill probvably play this until borderlands comes out, then Im done.

USOpenfan
07-26-2012, 08:34 PM
It surprised me how much faster youre shots wee going comapred to mine. Even the ones when i had perfect timing power shot with the A button.

Ill probvably play this until borderlands comes out, then Im done.

That is exactly my problem. When I play online the people I'm playin seem to be hitting the ball twice as hard as me and I thought I was pretty awesome at the game. It is crushing to the ego to lose 8 online matches in a row. I was winning once in game 9 but he left the match before we could finish. I keep trying to figure out how to get more power to match those online but for now I can just keep trying when I have the time.

goran_panda
09-22-2012, 10:51 AM
Everyone has the same buttons on his controller ;)
The game is al about timing and positioning. The people who think vt4 is bether then top spin don't have any idea how to play real tennis. It's such a great game, to bad we have to weight so long for topspin5

For people who want to play on a nice level ;)

goran_panda

MichaelNadal
10-10-2012, 02:21 PM
I had an amazing match today :) I lost but who cares when it's this even?

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/mikeynitro/20121010_175721.jpg

Hood_Man
10-11-2012, 10:01 PM
I had a dreadful match the other day :lol:

My first time playing online, I lost 0-3 0-3. I did get to 40-15 on my own serve once, and deuce on his serve one time as well. Room for improvement I think...

MichaelNadal
10-13-2012, 04:29 PM
I had a dreadful match the other day :lol:

My first time playing online, I lost 0-3 0-3. I did get to 40-15 on my own serve once, and deuce on his serve one time as well. Room for improvement I think...

Yeah definitely, ps3 or xbox?

Mansewerz
11-24-2012, 08:44 PM
Any news of a new tennis game coming out soon?

BigServer1
11-24-2012, 10:43 PM
Any news of a new tennis game coming out soon?

Hopefully something soon. Ready for a better career mode in a tennis game.

maverick66
11-24-2012, 11:52 PM
Hopefully something soon. Ready for a better career mode in a tennis game.

With online play in sports games things like career modes just dont interest me anymore. I wanna play against others and get a hard challenge not just spam things at the computer.

MichaelNadal
11-25-2012, 08:57 AM
With online play in sports games things like career modes just dont interest me anymore. I wanna play against others and get a hard challenge not just spam things at the computer.

I agree. I'm up to number 189 in 2k open now. I'm hoping the gameplay is similar in TS5 because I'm really happy with it. Just give me new arenas, an updated roster, better kits, and more UE's and I'm happy.

TahoeTennis
11-25-2012, 01:55 PM
back into this awesome game.

let's play:

valkortahoe on PSN

MichaelNadal
11-30-2012, 04:40 PM
^^It really is an awesome game. I think we might already be friends, ill check later.

Hood_Man
11-30-2012, 06:12 PM
Yeah definitely, ps3 or xbox?

PS3. I've not bothered since, not had the time nor the motivation if I'm honest.

If Grand Slam Tennis on the Wii was only a bit more accurate, it would still be my tennis game of choice. Top Spin 4 is a highly regarded second though.

DRII
12-03-2012, 04:17 AM
Top Spin 4's movement sucks!

TS3 is so much better...

cknobman
12-03-2012, 06:16 AM
Anyone hear anything about a possible Top Spin 5?

flyinghippos101
12-08-2012, 09:57 AM
Played as federer against a tomic online at the USO. Won the first set fairly comfortably, only to bagel him the second set.

Thought what he did there was kinda cute

axel89
12-10-2012, 05:57 PM
PS3. I've not bothered since, not had the time nor the motivation if I'm honest.

If Grand Slam Tennis on the Wii was only a bit more accurate, it would still be my tennis game of choice. Top Spin 4 is a highly regarded second though.

agreed 100 percent gst was a great game if they added more pros and tweaked the net game a little it could be a GOAT

maverick66
12-11-2012, 12:28 AM
agreed 100 percent gst was a great game if they added more pros and tweaked the net game a little it could be a GOAT

That and the guys with two handed backhands hitting one handers all the time. That drove me nuts.

axel89
12-11-2012, 11:34 AM
That and the guys with two handed backhands hitting one handers all the time. That drove me nuts.

thats grand slam tennis 2 but im talking about the first one

-RF-
12-31-2012, 05:32 AM
Agassi on this game ****s me over every single time. Jesus. Wrong foots me every shot, and his bh and fh are just too much....

paulorenzo
01-31-2013, 06:01 PM
Agassi on this game ****s me over every single time. Jesus. Wrong foots me every shot, and his bh and fh are just too much....

who do you use normally?

augustobt
02-03-2013, 03:46 PM
Anyone hear anything about a possible Top Spin 5?

I just hope that they get the Wimbledon license back.

MichaelNadal
02-20-2013, 04:27 PM
Who on here still plays? Would be nice to play some people from here.

BHiC
02-25-2013, 09:55 AM
Who on here still plays? Would be nice to play some people from here.

I still play every now and then on PS3 when I can get the play station network to cooperate.

jamesblakefan#1
02-27-2013, 11:41 AM
I'm still playing. I'm playing Simon at the Paris Indoors and the crowd starts chanting "ALLEZ GILLOU". Got me weak lol. This game still is awesome.

MichaelNadal
02-27-2013, 05:01 PM
I'm still playing. I'm playing Simon at the Paris Indoors and the crowd starts chanting "ALLEZ GILLOU". Got me weak lol. This game still is awesome.

Interesting, I've never heard that. I definitely love it. I was dominating for a while, but lately competition is getting insane on the 2K Open.

jamesblakefan#1
02-27-2013, 05:06 PM
Interesting, I've never heard that. I definitely love it. I was dominating for a while, but lately competition is getting insane on the 2K Open.

Not even the "VAMOS RAFA!" guy? :lol:

MichaelNadal
02-27-2013, 05:24 PM
Not even the "VAMOS RAFA!" guy? :lol:

I've heard that lol. Who do you pick?

President
02-27-2013, 07:30 PM
Hopefully there are some sick tennis games on the next-gen consoles, I am tired of tennis games looking like they belong on N64 or Sega Dreamcast LOL.

jamesblakefan#1
02-27-2013, 09:02 PM
Hopefully there are some sick tennis games on the next-gen consoles, I am tired of tennis games looking like they belong on N64 or Sega Dreamcast LOL.

Exaggeration much? (at least when it comes to TS4 IMO).

BigServer1
02-28-2013, 05:56 AM
I'm hoping more for a better roster and better career mode in TS5.

TS4 is still fun sometimes, especially after some time away. I would love to see 30+ ATP pros in the next version, and a career mode with injuries and a full annual schedule that you have to manage. It would also be sweet to see more venues.

BHiC
02-28-2013, 07:22 AM

TS4 is still fun sometimes, especially after some time away. I would love to see 30+ ATP pros in the next version, and a career mode with injuries and a full annual schedule that you have to manage. It would also be sweet to see more venues.

I agree, I just hope with the next version they put some effort into getting the serve technique at least kind of close to the actual player. It doesn't have to be spot on, but neither Fed nor Sampras bring their back foot up in real life. And it also annoys me that when you serve and stay back a lot of the players bring their foot up on the serve, but they leave their back foot back on the serve when they S&V. Other than that, this is by far my favorite tennis game and one of my favorites overall.

2ndServe
03-01-2013, 07:32 AM
any serve and volley tips. Do you press RB as your split step or does it speed you up?

TahoeTennis
03-06-2013, 07:35 AM
if anyone's on today PSN:

valkortahoe

send me an add/invite

spinorama
03-08-2013, 09:57 AM
I can't stand video games of sports that you actually play and are good at....makes it frustrating when you suck at the video game lol. Virtua tennis and MX unleashed both drove me nuts

HughJars
04-05-2013, 12:05 AM

I still love playing this game, just went back and started a fresh career on very hard. The jump in difficulty in the finals of masters/grand slams gets me though, so I just drop it back to hard.

Likewise, I hope the next version has more pros. And flushes out the recurring dead wood like Blake and Roddick. Definetly needs an injury component. And a better implemented Davis Cup.

Also, i would like to see ATP players and AI players either jump or decline in ratings over their careers, rather than stay the same forever. Ewan McLeod is set for eternal mediocrity.

MichaelNadal
04-05-2013, 12:56 PM
I love this game, I think the next just needs fresh kits, a better roster and a few minor gameplay tweaks but my complains are minimal. I have a great match almost every tiime I play 2K open.

Zildite
04-06-2013, 03:31 AM
Also, i would like to see ATP players and AI players either jump or decline in ratings over their careers, rather than stay the same forever. Ewan McLeod is set for eternal mediocrity.

Yeah I a have guy in career mode playing in 2019 who has been number one for 8 straight years or something and the rest of the top four is still Djokovic, Federer and Nadal.
I liked the system in Fight Night 2 (old but I haven't played more recent ones?) where everyone aged and declined and a younger real life pro (Tomic here) would enter the ranks later on so it wasn't all random AI after a while.
You would end up at 40-something years old with terrible stats and adapted your style to get wins until you chose to retire.
That would be a big leap from any of the other tennis career modes though, they all seem to be quite shallow.

Some obvious stuff to be fixed like broken World Tour lobby, players having the wrong serve animation etc.

flyinghippos101
04-06-2013, 07:37 AM
I think top spin is great, but the franchise really need a new game. It's been almost three years since this game came out and players in the top 10 have come and gone. Grand slam tennis was a bust, but I'd love if they took the atmosphere grand slam tennis had and transplanted it on top spin. Little details like color commentary, the crowd reactions, realistic player grunts and motions (hell, just find a lower ranked Ramprases to do motion capture instead of the hacks they found for TS4)

jamesblakefan#1
04-06-2013, 05:44 PM
I think top spin is great, but the franchise really need a new game. It's been almost three years since this game came out and players in the top 10 have come and gone. Grand slam tennis was a bust, but I'd love if they took the atmosphere grand slam tennis had and transplanted it on top spin. Little details like color commentary, the crowd reactions, realistic player grunts and motions (hell, just find a lower ranked Ramprases to do motion capture instead of the hacks they found for TS4)

This game came out March 2011, so only 2 years not 3. TS never been a yearly franchise. Between 2 and 3 was 2 years, between 3 and 4 was even longer.

They will probably just wait now with the next gen systems seemingly right around the corner.

MindoverMatter
04-06-2013, 06:17 PM
I still love playing this game, just went back and started a fresh career on very hard. The jump in difficulty in the finals of masters/grand slams gets me though, so I just drop it back to hard.

Likewise, I hope the next version has more pros. And flushes out the recurring dead wood like Blake and Roddick. Definetly needs an injury component. And a better implemented Davis Cup.

You should try it on extreme! Or whatever the hardest difficulty you unlock is. I recently started a new career with a S&V/Offensive baseliner using actual rules (6 games, 3 to 5 sets) on extreme and it takes tiiiime. But its a lot more exciting. I can beat everybody except Murray! That damn'd Murray, he hits his balls so short and angled its impossible to beat him. I've only beaten him once and lost 3 times, cost me 3 tournaments.

I love watching the rankings - my favorite is when players like Tomic occasionally fall outside the top 10 or 11 and you get some no-name guys winning random tournaments and advancing past them. Then I see Roddick and Davydenko winning slams and getting into the 2nd or 3rd spots. The only thing I wish they put in the game was the ability for me to see the brackets of tournaments I didn't play in. I want to know what they went through to win!

2ndServe
04-06-2013, 06:26 PM
how do you sv against the players on xbox live. I find it very difficult.

HughJars
04-07-2013, 05:12 PM
Yeah, Ive been playing the proper length matches and its great. Seems so much more rewarding to win a tournament doing this, but you have to play on a decent difficulty or else going through the motions of easy matches will do your head in. A plus, doing this lets you achieve coaching objectives much quicker.

Saying that, what the game desperately needs is an option to save mid-match. Not everyone can sit there for 90 minutes at a time in a gruelling 5 setter.

I have some nemesis in the the game. My player is an aggressive baseliner with a decent volley game. There is this one AI pusher from Malaysia in the game that plays the major tournaments, and he always pushes me to 3 sets. Think Ive played him 4 or 5 times now.

It would be great to see a little more stats. Jsut one Id like to see is head to head match-up stats before starting a match.

maverick66
04-07-2013, 05:37 PM
how do you sv against the players on xbox live. I find it very difficult.

I lead with slice volley deep to a corner and then look for the put away. Game is about positioning which is what makes it good. You cant just slam the ball. So when you volley try to get it deep to a corner so that they cant make a good play on it. if you get a floater slam the thing but remember to keep them from being able to just sit on it because if they fully charge a passing shot you lost the point.

Also there are people that hit the crosscourt precision shots all day. Those people are really difficult to volley against. Same idea but leave anything remotely short and they will angle you right out.

MichaelNadal
04-29-2013, 12:52 PM
http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/mikeynitro/20130426_140202_zpsc39a64ae.jpg

What a fun match this was.... I was Becker. It was a heartbreaker to lose lol.

TahoeTennis
05-01-2013, 01:21 PM
Anyone up for a game today/tonight?

valkortahoe on PSN!

msg/add

Rock Strongo
05-09-2013, 07:01 AM
Are people still playing? Just bought the game today.

Played it for a week or so on the 360 and only just got around to buying it for my PS3.

MichaelNadal
05-13-2013, 10:19 PM
Are people still playing? Just bought the game today.

Played it for a week or so on the 360 and only just got around to buying it for my PS3.

I still play. ncmoviefan

MichaelNadal
05-22-2013, 06:23 PM

valkortahoe on PSN!

msg/add

I saw you added me, I'll try to catch you on soon :)

LeftyRighty
05-22-2013, 06:36 PM
I play this everyday! I love this game. I play on the XBOX though.

I want to get it on PS3 though and try it with the MOVE. I cant wait until the new consoles come out and theres a new version.

Would be cool if we could customize strings, grips, ect. It seems like they always take a loooong time to release these games

MichaelNadal
05-29-2013, 06:26 PM

valkortahoe on PSN!

msg/add

We were having such a good match until the connection got screwed. Def need to play again!

JRAJ1988
05-30-2013, 03:59 AM
Anyone find the constant play to the backhand annoying? Whenever I'm Federer all the time to my backhand, I suppose it's a sound tactic.

Zildite
05-30-2013, 04:06 AM
Anyone find the constant play to the backhand annoying? Whenever I'm Federer all the time to my backhand, I suppose it's a sound tactic.

Yea well he does have the best forehand in the game and an average backhand.
I think playing expert CPU Fed is way easier than the other top 4 guys because of this, but a good enough human player can usually find some way to make up for that weakness.

MichaelNadal
05-30-2013, 09:25 AM

I'm usually Becker and everyone tries playing hard to my backhand too. I have a great backhand though :)

JRAJ1988
05-30-2013, 12:24 PM
I usually try slice backhands vs players, though whenever as I (Federer) play any Nadal players they destroy me with that backhand attack.

Imo Becker is one tough player in the right hands, if you've got a good backhand then it's hard to break you down.

Rock Strongo
05-30-2013, 01:29 PM
Playing right now! Hathuman is my PSN if anyone's interested!

Rock Strongo
05-31-2013, 04:44 PM
Yesterday with someone online. 71/98 at the net isn't all that shabby, though I somehow managed lose five points in a row from serving at 5-2 40-0, hence all the double faults.
http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q517/RamadhaniH/Snapbucket/B80B704A-orig_zps1e9b951d.jpg

MichaelNadal
06-03-2013, 05:03 PM
Playing right now! Hathuman is my PSN if anyone's interested!

Add me, ncmoviefan..... looks like a fun match you had. That's a hell of a lot of net approaches, true Sampras.

Rock Strongo
06-03-2013, 05:15 PM
Add me, ncmoviefan..... looks like a fun match you had. That's a hell of a lot of net approaches, true Sampras.

I'm in no shape to play right now (quite drunk *hint hint*) but I've already added you. Perhaps tomorrow if I'm not sleeping by this time (graduating Wed, which means that I'll probably spend the next day hung over anyway)

MichaelNadal
06-03-2013, 05:27 PM
I'm in no shape to play right now (quite drunk *hint hint*) but I've already added you. Perhaps tomorrow if I'm not sleeping by this time (graduating Wed, which means that I'll probably spend the next day hung over anyway)

Yeah I'm probably at work often while you're free, (like I am now). But i'm sure we'll play soon.

Rock Strongo
06-04-2013, 10:45 AM
Yeah I'm probably at work often while you're free, (like I am now). But i'm sure we'll play soon.

I do see you online at your PS3 late at night my time/your free time sometimes (that's what no school does to you), and now having a whole week off before work is a slight benefit.

MindoverMatter
06-13-2013, 03:03 PM
I played the most disappointing match ever today.

Wimbledon final against Nadal, difficulty expert in a best of 5 sets, 6 games each. My favorite surface with my favorite player. I destroyed Federer in the semifinal and was ready for some action.

I quickly got a break and went up 3-2 in the first set, and just as I got to thinking about how this match was going to be so easy I pathetically choked the next 4 games and lost the first set 3-6.

Okay, new set and a new chance. We were trading games, and then I broke to go up 5-4 and served for the set. I got broken at love, and things went into a tie-break. With a new found determination, I held my serve and broke him to go up 6-4 in the tiebreak, serving again for the set. I lost the next 4 points in a row and lost the second set, 6-7 (6).

Angry at myself, the next couple games went by fast and I was down 0-3 in the third. I roused myself again and held serve easily, breaking back and timing my shots really well. I was up 4-3, and then got too sure of myself again and started planning ahead. I failed to break him, got broken, and he held serve one last time.

I lost the match 3-6 6-7 4-6 after going up in every set. Gah.

MichaelNadal
06-13-2013, 09:43 PM
I played the most disappointing match ever today.

Wimbledon final against Nadal, difficulty extreme in a best of 5 sets, 6 games each. My favorite surface with my favorite player. I destroyed Federer in the semifinal and was ready for some action.

I quickly got a break and went up 3-2 in the first set, and just as I got to thinking about how this match was going to be so easy I pathetically choked the next 4 games and lost the first set 3-6.

Okay, new set and a new chance. We were trading games, and then I broke to go up 5-4 and served for the set. I got broken at love, and things went into a tie-break. With a new found determination, I held my serve and broke him to go up 6-4 in the tiebreak, serving again for the set. I lost the next 4 points in a row and lost the second set, 7-6 (6).

Angry at myself, the next couple games went by fast and I was down 0-3 in the third. I roused myself again and held serve easily, breaking back and timing my shots really well. I was up 4-3, and then got too sure of myself again and started planning ahead. I failed to break him, got broken, and he held serve one last time.

I lost the match 3-6 6-7 4-6 after going up in every set. Gah.

Damn lol, epic choke man!

2ndServe
06-13-2013, 09:54 PM
how do you serve and volley in this game? I get spanked online trying to do it.

MichaelNadal
06-13-2013, 11:09 PM

On a PS3, you hold down R2 when serving/aiming. Took me a while to figure that out myself.

S&V Specialist
06-13-2013, 11:34 PM
On a PS3, you hold down R2 when serving/aiming. Took me a while to figure that out myself.

Don't you mean R1?

Rock Strongo
06-14-2013, 03:25 AM

I would not go wide on the deuce court when serving and volleying in the game. Most of the times they return down the line and you're in massive trouble.

Cesc Fabregas
06-14-2013, 10:53 AM
Is there a new tennis game out?

MichaelNadal
06-14-2013, 10:55 AM
Don't you mean R1?

Yeah I guess so lol :)

Rock Strongo
06-14-2013, 04:17 PM
Yeah I guess so lol :)

So you still haven't found out! :D

MichaelNadal
06-14-2013, 07:35 PM
So you still haven't found out! :D

When i'm playing I do it in every match lol, so I definitely know. But im at work right now and it's hard to think without the controller in my hand, it's so second nature. I'm pretty sure it's R1, since R2 is the drop-shot modifier. It's easy to get the hang of as long as you're already a decent server.

Rock Strongo
06-15-2013, 09:28 AM
When i'm playing I do it in every match lol, so I definitely know. But im at work right now and it's hard to think without the controller in my hand, it's so second nature. I'm pretty sure it's R1, since R2 is the drop-shot modifier. It's easy to get the hang of as long as you're already a decent server.

You sound like a worthy adversary!

MichaelNadal
06-15-2013, 12:37 PM
You sound like a worthy adversary!

I'm sure I'll be on a few times this weekend :)

Rock Strongo
06-22-2013, 03:37 PM
http://i1161.photobucket.com/albums/q517/RamadhaniH/Snapbucket/EE32E98D-orig_zps34fa49bf.jpg?t=1371944183

That match was sheer brutality. I think I only had ONE baseline winner the whole match. Damn you and your second serve aces and your diving drop volleys on the line, MN. Damn them!

It was a horrendous amount of fun as well, though!

Lukhas
06-22-2013, 03:42 PM
^Who used which player?

Rock Strongo
06-22-2013, 03:48 PM
^Who used which player?

I was Sampras. I basically played a hyper-aggressive game where I went to net at EVERY opportunity. If it looked even slightly attackable or even didn't, I jumped on it. MN was no slouch at the net either, but in the end he proved much too strong from all areas of the court.

Also, the first set was absolutely epic. He saved a set point with a second serve ace for instance and had something like 40 winners in that set.
He's good, he's very good!

OKUSA
06-22-2013, 04:28 PM
92% first serves, I knew Pete's serve was amazing but damn

MichaelNadal
06-22-2013, 07:50 PM
I was Sampras. I basically played a hyper-aggressive game where I went to net at EVERY opportunity. If it looked even slightly attackable or even didn't, I jumped on it. MN was no slouch at the net either, but in the end he proved much too strong from all areas of the court.

Also, the first set was absolutely epic. He saved a set point with a second serve ace for instance and had something like 40 winners in that set.
He's good, he's very good!

Thanks man! It was a very fun match, you're good and pushed me that's for sure. I definitely think i'm good under pressure, but my secret is to throw in something unexpected when I'm down a big point. Funny that it lasted exactly an hour.

Lukhas
06-22-2013, 08:18 PM
I heard you guys said serves were nerfed at some point. WHich makes sense. I haven't seen Roddick serve like this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rJWj9JQu64Q#t=6m

Ever since this:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ga6HlJqrxEE

And it already was way past the "once every blue moon" point.

Rock Strongo
06-23-2013, 03:48 AM
Thanks man! It was a very fun match, you're good and pushed me that's for sure. I definitely think i'm good under pressure, but my secret is to throw in something unexpected when I'm down a big point. Funny that it lasted exactly an hour.

Like standing at the service line to return... Whenever you did that I tried to rocket them hoping that you would mis-time the return, but you're too good!

Rock Strongo
06-23-2013, 08:55 AM
Does anyone else play TS4?

Cup8489
06-23-2013, 09:10 AM
I have it on xbox 360...

Imceesquared

MichaelNadal
06-23-2013, 10:00 AM
Like standing at the service line to return... Whenever you did that I tried to rocket them hoping that you would mis-time the return, but you're too good!

Yeah that's when I'm ultra aggressive. I've never seen any other player stand there to return. I also stand as far back as the ballboys too lol.

Rock Strongo
06-23-2013, 12:33 PM
Yeah that's when I'm ultra aggressive. I've never seen any other player stand there to return. I also stand as far back as the ballboys too lol.

My friend stands that far forward whenever we play Mario Tennis for the N64 (or when we play it's just Mario Acefest) because I always play Boo who has an unrealistically good slice serve, just to counter it. Still ace him 35-40 times though I almost always lose...

MichaelNadal
06-23-2013, 12:46 PM
Wow, lots of good players are on PS3 right now. My buddy list is a stacked deck!!

Rock Strongo
06-23-2013, 12:54 PM
Wow, lots of good players are on PS3 right now. My buddy list is a stacked deck!!

Be glad that you have so many people who actually play this game on your list. I only have you and another friend who rarely plays...

Anyway, invite sent, bladder emptied, oven on (bacon!) lungs filled with smoke, waiting for you!

MichaelNadal
06-23-2013, 12:56 PM
Be glad that you have so many people who actually play this game on your list. I only have you and another friend who rarely plays...

Anyway, invite sent, bladder emptied, oven on (bacon!) lungs filled with smoke, waiting for you!

What are u smoking? Lol

Rock Strongo
06-23-2013, 12:57 PM
And beer we go! This is a great way of forgetting that I'm supposed to prep the lunch service tomorrow.

Also, I smoke Marlboro Lights.

MichaelNadal
06-23-2013, 01:00 PM
It froze :(

Rock Strongo
06-23-2013, 01:01 PM
And we get a DC... Let's try this again. My internet has been iffy all day.

MichaelNadal
06-23-2013, 01:03 PM
It always happens on the first serve of my first service game....

Rock Strongo
06-23-2013, 01:04 PM
Weird.

10weirds

Rock Strongo
06-23-2013, 01:18 PM
I have a feeling that this match won't be as epic...

MichaelNadal
06-23-2013, 01:20 PM
I have a feeling that this match won't be as epic...

Maybe it will be :)

Rock Strongo
06-23-2013, 01:22 PM
Maybe it will be :)

Don't patronize!:)

Rock Strongo
06-23-2013, 01:28 PM
Not again...

MichaelNadal
06-23-2013, 01:28 PM
Omg dramaaaaa

MichaelNadal
06-23-2013, 01:29 PM
That was all me :( net went out on my phone and tablet too.

Rock Strongo
06-23-2013, 01:35 PM
That was all me :( net went out on my phone and tablet too.

I'll let you invite this time!

MichaelNadal
06-23-2013, 01:35 PM
I'll let you invite this time!

What a ferocious FH it paused on.

Rock Strongo
06-23-2013, 01:39 PM
What a ferocious FH it paused on.

You would've rocketed it past me!

Rock Strongo
06-23-2013, 01:41 PM
"The session doesn't exist anymore."

That message makes me want to write Swedish expletives. WHY DOES IT DO THIS?

Rock Strongo
06-23-2013, 01:43 PM
And again!

MichaelNadal
06-23-2013, 01:43 PM
"The session doesn't exist anymore."

That message makes me want to write Swedish expletives. WHY DOES IT DO THIS?

U should play STUBLUE1982 and tell him I sent u :) I've only beaten him once.

Rock Strongo
06-23-2013, 01:44 PM
U should play STUBLUE1982 and tell him I sent u :) I've only beaten him once.

I'm probably going to lose badly!

Rock Strongo
06-23-2013, 01:53 PM
This is going really well. Something's wrong, probably server-wise.

MichaelNadal
06-23-2013, 01:56 PM
This is going really well. Something's wrong, probably server-wise.

Im gonna restart. It keeps saying session no longer available.

MichaelNadal
06-23-2013, 02:03 PM
It's not our day lol. I give up.

Rock Strongo
06-23-2013, 02:05 PM
It's not our day lol. I give up.

I can't do an hour long match now anyway. Busy day tomorrow, probably 110-ish people to feed at lunch time and then evening service. Hooray for 13 hour work days!

But at the equivalent of $18 an hour, I'm not complaining!

Hood_Man
06-23-2013, 02:12 PM
Can I just say guys, your commentary is lacking somewhat this evening ;)

Rock Strongo
06-23-2013, 03:01 PM
Can I just say guys, your commentary is lacking somewhat this evening ;)

Well, if the other computer I found in the garbage would work properly with my capture card (some problems, will solve them), and if MN would be up to being recorded over Skype, a video with audio commentary would probably have been possible. Then you'd probably laugh over a Swede speaking with a flawless British accent and perhaps swearing like a sailor...

It would actually be quite fun!

MichaelNadal
06-23-2013, 06:13 PM
Well, if the other computer I found in the garbage would work properly with my capture card (some problems, will solve them), and if MN would be up to being recorded over Skype, a video with audio commentary would probably have been possible. Then you'd probably laugh over a Swede speaking with a flawless British accent and perhaps swearing like a sailor...

Our matches are great. I wish they could see.

Lukhas
06-23-2013, 09:03 PM

Our matches are great. I wish they could see.
I indeed would love to see that. :)

Rock Strongo
06-24-2013, 01:01 PM
Thing is, I swear. A lot. I'll see if I can work out the other computer and then I'm gonna have to fudge over that to a USB stick, then to this computer, then editing has to commence.

I could perhaps tone down on the Ramsay-levels of swearing should we play.

MichaelNadal
06-24-2013, 02:26 PM
Thing is, I swear. A lot. I'll see if I can work out the other computer and then I'm gonna have to fudge over that to a USB stick, then to this computer, then editing has to commence.

I could perhaps tone down on the Ramsay-levels of swearing should we play.

I wish I was home to play you now lol.

Rock Strongo
07-04-2013, 11:07 AM
It begins again.

Rock Strongo
07-04-2013, 11:57 AM
Two match points. I dove the wrong way.

MichaelNadal
07-04-2013, 05:25 PM
Two match points. I dove the wrong way.

It was an awesome match :)

MIKEPANTELAKIS
07-05-2013, 09:16 AM
I would love to have some new people to play! Anyone with the game add me on PSN, Mike62390

MichaelNadal
07-05-2013, 12:49 PM
I would love to have some new people to play! Anyone with the game add me on PSN, Mike62390

I'm ncmoviefan... I'll be free most of the weekend but not home till way later tonight.

Rock Strongo
07-05-2013, 03:21 PM
It would be rather fun to Skype during a match. For obvious reasons I won't divulge my information here though.

TheF1Bob
07-05-2013, 04:03 PM
PS3 id: I_HATE_THE_STIG

Play me if you dare. :twisted:

Rock Strongo
07-05-2013, 04:08 PM
^ Word of warning, DO NOT USE SAMPRAS.

TheF1Bob
07-05-2013, 04:10 PM
^ Word of warning, DO NOT USE SAMPRAS.

Gotta do Fed/Nadal match up sometime. :)

Rock Strongo
07-05-2013, 04:11 PM
Gotta do Fed/Nadal match up sometime. :)

I'm up for it!

MichaelNadal
07-05-2013, 04:36 PM
PS3 id: I_HATE_THE_STIG

Play me if you dare. :twisted:

I need to make sure I'm in the right zone before I play you lol. I love a challenge or someone better than me though so I can't wait :) Like Rafa, i'll have to see if I can "find solutions" no?

TheF1Bob
07-05-2013, 05:04 PM
I need to make sure I'm in the right zone before I play you lol. I love a challenge or someone better than me though so I can't wait :) Like Rafa, i'll have to see if I can "find solutions" no?

I want a proper base line rally match if you catch my drift. ;)

No more Sampras. :mrgreen:

MichaelNadal
07-05-2013, 05:07 PM
I want a proper base line rally match if you catch my drift. ;)

No more Sampras. :mrgreen:

What's your 2K Open rank?

TheF1Bob
07-05-2013, 05:16 PM
What's your 2K Open rank?

Probably near the bottom, never on it. Sick of playing Roddick's all the time, plus the occasional quitting from opponents.

Just not worth it lol.

MichaelNadal
07-05-2013, 05:19 PM
Probably near the bottom, never on it. Sick of playing Roddick's all the time, plus the occasional quitting from opponents.

Just not worth it lol.

It can be annoying. I'm up to 188. I was like 171 but haven't been playing 2K open much lately either.

Lukhas
07-06-2013, 02:00 AM

Just not worth it lol.
Sir, I'm afraid there's nothing like playing Roddick...
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9SpY2oa7I9w

:twisted:

Rock Strongo
07-06-2013, 02:01 PM
I kind of want to play right now. But then when I was out, I came across a cute girl and friend called Cornelia. When I was waiting for my train home, I thought "Cornelia..." Then it turned into Corneria, and now I've booted up StarFox on my SNES. How the mind can wander...

BigServer1
07-06-2013, 06:31 PM
I wish they'd come out with TopSpin 5. I'm so bored of TS4

2ndServe
07-07-2013, 02:55 PM
need tips on serve and volleying. Is it possible to consistently hit drop angle volleys or power volleys? I hit my volleys and the guy always has a chance at a decent pass or lob.

BHiC
07-08-2013, 02:33 AM
need tips on serve and volleying. Is it possible to consistently hit drop angle volleys or power volleys? I hit my volleys and the guy always has a chance at a decent pass or lob.

I have found you need to use a strategy similar to real life. I typically try to place a control volley for my 1st volley and then hit a normal or power volley after that to end the point. Drop volleys work, but if you don't catch them with good or perfect timing you either miss the shot or it sits up and gives them an even easier pass. Power volleys are good but not as affective if catching the ball below the net.

TheF1Bob
07-10-2013, 08:39 AM
Me and Mike had good match. I won (unsurprisingly 8)) but it was tough, tougher than expected to be honest.

http://imageshack.us/a/img59/2918/hs3w.jpg

Well played Jacko. :)

Cup8489
07-10-2013, 09:04 AM
Does anyone else have the 360 version? I wouldn't mind playing

MichaelNadal
07-10-2013, 10:56 AM
Me and Mike had good match. I won (unsurprisingly 8)) but it was tough, tougher than expected to be honest.

http://imageshack.us/a/img59/2918/hs3w.jpg

Well played Jacko. :)

Yeah the scoreline feels a bit harsh to me. I just made way too many UE's and really should have broken a couple times, especially the last game. On match point I was right there at the ball in a neutral position but it just bounced and they didn't let me hit it for whatever reason. Ugh! Lol. Fun match but I have to do better next time. I have to slow the tempo too. This guy craves pace and passing at the net. I learn fast though :)

Rock Strongo
07-10-2013, 02:09 PM
I only work lunch tomorrow! Fed/Nadal, Bob?

MichaelNadal
07-10-2013, 02:21 PM

I can't wait to get another crack at him lol. I'm sooo eager.

preacha89
07-10-2013, 02:44 PM
PSN ID: preacha89

Would love to play some time.

MichaelNadal
07-10-2013, 04:35 PM

Have we played before? You should be in the tournament we're trying to get together.

TheF1Bob
07-12-2013, 06:04 AM

Sorry I couldn't do yesterday Strongo, was more busier than thought.

I can't wait to get another crack at him lol. I'm sooo eager.

I'm online today. 8)

Added ya.

TennisAddiction
07-12-2013, 07:49 AM
I've been craving for a tennis game for a while and hoping for a new one but since there doesn't seem to be one in the pipeline, is TS4 still worth checking out? Or what about Grand Slam tennis?

Jeebs
07-12-2013, 08:10 AM
I prefer Top Spin. Grand Slam is too arcadey.

MichaelNadal
07-12-2013, 12:22 PM
Sorry I couldn't do yesterday Strongo, was more busier than thought.

I'm online today. 8)

Added ya.

I'm at work all day sadly, but I'll be free and on most of the weekend :)

I've been craving for a tennis game for a while and hoping for a new one but since there doesn't seem to be one in the pipeline, is TS4 still worth checking out? Or what about Grand Slam tennis?

TS4 is amazing man.

Rock Strongo
07-12-2013, 02:55 PM
I would love to play now, but I'm absolutely destroyed after a 15 hour shift where everything has gone wrong. I just want to sleep.

MichaelNadal
07-12-2013, 04:29 PM
I would love to play now, but I'm absolutely destroyed after a 15 hour shift where everything has gone wrong. I just want to sleep.

My goal with you, is to make sure you never beat me lol. I know you can, hence the match points, but I can't let it happen :)

MichaelNadal
07-13-2013, 11:20 AM
I was up a break on Bob and my connection froze :(

TheF1Bob
07-13-2013, 11:25 AM
I was up a break on Bob and my connection froze :(

Your internet supplier obviously prefers Janowicz to Becker. 8)

I'll try to get on it again later if i can, it will be late though.

Been on it most of the day as well.

MichaelNadal
07-13-2013, 11:32 AM
It's early here so that's cool. He really looked like Jerzy too.

SStrikerR
07-15-2013, 09:42 PM
If anyone here plays on xbox, i'd love to play. I sucked to begin with, and haven't played in a while either, but i'd like some real competition.

Rock Strongo
07-16-2013, 06:15 AM
Not related to TS4 but still tennis game-related, I came across Super Tennis for the SNES for next to nothing!

Makes me a bit happier after seeing the fantastically awful string job a friend had done on my racquet.

Aaaand this game is absolutely brutal!

Rock Strongo
07-16-2013, 03:21 PM
Brutalized Mike twice, and on both occasions there was a connection error. Last time it was looking to be a 6-2 set...

MichaelNadal
07-16-2013, 03:36 PM
Brutalized Mike twice, and on both occasions there was a connection error. Last time it was looking to be a 6-2 set...

I was gonna win that set bro. :) I love being under pressure. One sp down, one to go. This is what it does and doesn't let me quit, exit, or see statistics, the camera just keeps panning around the arena... ugh. I'm gonna run to McDonald's and reset my router.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/mikeynitro/20130716_191848_zpsf8114318.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/mikeynitro/media/20130716_191848_zpsf8114318.jpg.html)

Rock Strongo
07-16-2013, 03:45 PM
I was gonna win that set bro. :) I love being under pressure. One sp down, one to go. This is what it does and doesn't let me quit, exit, or see statistics, the camera just keeps panning around the arena... ugh. I'm gonna run to McDonald's and reset my router.

http://i2.photobucket.com/albums/y3/mikeynitro/20130716_191848_zpsf8114318.jpg (http://s2.photobucket.com/user/mikeynitro/media/20130716_191848_zpsf8114318.jpg.html)

Ooh that screen... I dread it.

Fuji
07-16-2013, 06:18 PM
If you guys want to add me to play a match one of these days I'd love to. I used to play so much now I just do the open occasionally. Muzza is my boy!

PSN: As_Bold_As_Lions

-Fuji

Cup8489
07-16-2013, 06:37 PM
If anyone here plays on xbox, i'd love to play. I sucked to begin with, and haven't played in a while either, but i'd like some real competition.

Add me, Imceesquared.

Rock Strongo
07-17-2013, 02:18 AM
Aren't we eight people now? Tourney?

MichaelNadal
07-17-2013, 12:41 PM
Aren't we eight people now? Tourney?

We should be. Can u post a list of who's up for it? I know as_bold_as_lions is already on my friends list so that's 3 right there, and Bob is 4....

JRAJ1988
07-18-2013, 09:53 AM
Any peeps or peepettes on the xbox360?

TahoeTennis
07-18-2013, 10:36 AM
I'm in for the Tourney! But I'm not really online much anymore as I'm working all the time and playing real tennis all day.

Rock Strongo
07-18-2013, 12:51 PM
I have a short list! Those who are interested report in to the tournament thread.

Rock Strongo
07-25-2013, 05:11 PM
I just thought I'd share my current gaming status.

I have thirteen gaming consoles, two of them handheld, and from what I can count, 96 games. (Perhaps some more lost PSX/PS2 games somewhere) Time to get ourselves a Mega Drive/Genesis and bust through that 100 game mark.

Overkill? Perhaps. We used to have around 50 NES games when I was a kid. Thanks to someone "borrowing" a few, we're down to about half that.

Also, most of it has been acumulated from the late '80s, before I was born (Thanks mom and big sis!)

Quick amendment, forgot Wii Sports which brings it up to 97!

MindoverMatter
08-04-2013, 08:40 AM
This one was a personal achievement, so I thought I'd share it. Beat Nadal at RG on Expert difficulty using the real tennis settings - no help from indicators and 5 sets of 6 games.

http://s14.postimg.org/irhx57so1/photo_4.jpg

Rock Strongo
08-07-2013, 11:30 AM
No more play for me for a while, just smashed my PS3 controller...

MichaelNadal
08-07-2013, 05:45 PM
No more play for me for a while, just smashed my PS3 controller...

Darn, we are busted up.

BLX_Andy
08-07-2013, 09:40 PM
I prefer Top Spin. Grand Slam is too arcadey.

Definitely. But those Wimbledon rights though...

Rock Strongo
08-08-2013, 02:32 AM
Darn, we are busted up.

I will beat you the next time. I just happened to think that a PS3 controller was as durable as a NES or SNES controller...

MindoverMatter
08-23-2013, 11:06 AM
On Expert difficulty, Ricky Singleton is a tough nut to crack...not only does he have ridiculous amounts of power, he gets enough speed and anticipation to get to pretty much every single shot I hit, even a well-hit dropshot when he's coming from behind the opposite side of the baseline. Played him at SW19 and I barely scraped by at 7-6 7-6 6-3...harder than Nadal at RG, maybe the closest match I've played with this character so far! He actually won more points than I did the first two sets, managed to get a grip on what I should do by the third one though.

jamesblakefan#1
08-23-2013, 11:30 AM
Won the CYGS on Expert this season. Beat Fed at AO, Novak at rg and Wimbledon, Nadal at uso in the finals. Haven't lost a match all season. Now have to win the YEC to complete the game. (And become goat lol)

Rock Strongo
09-23-2013, 10:10 AM
So, shall we play this game again? I've managed to fudge in the hard drive from my broken PS3 to the 12GB one. I just need to buy a caddy for it. Remind me!

Nevermind. I just read that it's a fire hazard, and I read that WHILE copying data. We're just gonna have to wait.

DRII
09-26-2013, 10:52 AM
my gosh, this thread is ultimate proof of how sad/bad TS4 is...

jamesblakefan#1
09-26-2013, 11:11 AM

72 page long thread for a game that came out 3 years ago now, and most people liked it. Does not compute...

Overdrive
09-26-2013, 11:24 AM
Expert is the hardest difficulty?

jamesblakefan#1
09-26-2013, 11:41 AM
Yes, it is...

Overdrive
09-26-2013, 11:46 AM
Yes, it is...

Haven't played in a while.

I still winning my first match from Carlos Cuelo. :lol:

Rock Strongo
09-26-2013, 12:03 PM

We still play on this forum, though it's been rather infrequent. For a stretch it was daily.

MichaelNadal
09-29-2013, 12:59 AM
We still play on this forum, though it's been rather infrequent. For a stretch it was daily.

Yeah, I just have to buy a new TV :/ I should be back into it within the next few weeks. The timing is off on the TV I play it on now, which makes it pointless for me to play. As we know, the level of guys on here, you need to be at 100% to be competitive.

TS4 is amazing bro. Sorry you don't see it that way. I could play it all day.

Fedinkum
09-29-2013, 01:30 AM
They all have Sharapova's square shoulder:shock:

MichaelNadal
09-29-2013, 01:55 AM
They all have Sharapova's square shoulder:shock:

Her shoulders creep me out.

Rock Strongo
09-29-2013, 02:25 AM
Yeah, I just have to buy a new TV :/ I should be back into it within the next few weeks. The timing is off on the TV I play it on now, which makes it pointless for me to play. As we know, the level of guys on here, you need to be at 100% to be competitive.

TS4 is amazing bro. Sorry you don't see it that way. I could play it all day.

You get a new TV. I have to unpack everything in our new apartment anyway which is going to take a while. And also fix the hard drive for it. And then after that find out my schedule for next week, and the week after that...

MichaelNadal
10-04-2013, 12:23 AM
I'm back in the game guys.

Rock Strongo
10-04-2013, 11:32 AM

I may have 10GB data per month on my phone plan but I am NOT downloading it over that. I'll just wait till I can move my PS3 back home and take it from there. I'm back in it in a few days.

Prepare for a beating.

TimeSpiral
10-04-2013, 11:55 AM

I played Topspin 3 (Xbox 360) and I enjoyed it quite a bit, although I came to the party super late. I basically only played the single player campaign, and some local online matches with buddies.

I enjoyed it, somewhat, but I really hated the powershot and risk shot mechanics. It felt virtually impossible to time them correctly, which made for some pretty stale play, as winners and aces were extremely hard to hit unless someone was just badly out of position.

I've considered TS4, but am very lukewarm to the idea. (a) I'm super behind again, and (b) is it just a derp-fest where all the players who still play have found a stat-maxing / overpowered strat that they use nonsetop?

Sell it. Is it better? Should I be playing?

MichaelNadal
10-04-2013, 10:21 PM
I may have 10GB data per month on my phone plan but I am NOT downloading it over that. I'll just wait till I can move my PS3 back home and take it from there. I'm back in it in a few days.

Prepare for a beating.

I have to get my serve back to where it was but I'll be practicing bro!

I played Topspin 3 (Xbox 360) and I enjoyed it quite a bit, although I came to the party super late. I basically only played the single player campaign, and some local online matches with buddies.

I enjoyed it, somewhat, but I really hated the powershot and risk shot mechanics. It felt virtually impossible to time them correctly, which made for some pretty stale play, as winners and aces were extremely hard to hit unless someone was just badly out of position.

I've considered TS4, but am very lukewarm to the idea. (a) I'm super behind again, and (b) is it just a derp-fest where all the players who still play have found a stat-maxing / overpowered strat that they use nonsetop?

Sell it. Is it better? Should I be playing?

Honestly the level of the guys that play is supreme. But it's legit. Good people are good, their timing is right, etc. If you want a very fun and realistic game, you need it for sure. Highly entertaining. My only complaint about guys I play is that they aren't into variety as much as me. I like to use slice, mix up the pace, alternate between offense and defense etc. Lots of guys just hit really hard from side to side and that can be annoying, but you'll find a group of people that you really love to play. Definitely check it out.

Zildite
10-04-2013, 10:30 PM
My only complaint about guys I play is that they aren't into variety as much as me.

Lol the last online match I played (a while ago) I got called a cheater because he thought I used slices too much.

Rock Strongo
10-05-2013, 01:15 PM
Lol the last online match I played (a while ago) I got called a cheater because he thought I used slices too much.

Nothing wrong with slicing. I exclusively serve and volley.

MichaelNadal
10-06-2013, 02:55 AM

Yeah some of those guys have zero tactics at all.

TahoeTennis
10-07-2013, 09:26 AM
I've been playing more often. Feel free to add and challenge! Vamos

PSN: valkortahoe

Rock Strongo
10-07-2013, 01:08 PM
I've been playing more often. Feel free to add and challenge! Vamos

PSN: valkortahoe

Why not add Hathuman?

I'll play as soon as I can get home my PS3. Recently, I've been tearing my tethering apart. I've apparently already used up half of the 10 gigabytes allotted each month.

TimeSpiral
10-08-2013, 05:27 AM
Why not add Hathuman?

I'll play as soon as I can get home my PS3. Recently, I've been tearing my tethering apart. I've apparently already used up half of the 10 gigabytes allotted each month.

You have satellite Internet?

Rock Strongo
10-08-2013, 12:29 PM
You have satellite Internet?

Tethering through my mobile phone and being in my dad's apartment (empty till December, parties...) and since me and my mom have moved house I'm just waiting for her to get everything sorted at home.

~$35/month, unlimited calls and texts along with 10GB data.

TimeSpiral
10-08-2013, 12:39 PM
Tethering through my mobile phone and being in my dad's apartment (empty till December, parties...) and since me and my mom have moved house I'm just waiting for her to get everything sorted at home.

~$35/month, unlimited calls and texts along with 10GB data.

Got it. Thanks!

Kurte954
10-10-2013, 04:47 PM
So I can go undefeated on expert for multiple seasons, get killed 0-0 on the network by other players.... Any hints?

Kurte954
10-11-2013, 03:03 PM
I guess it's my internet connection... The game keeps slowing and speeding up during play. I can't keep up with the slo-mo to fast forward enough to keep my timing as consistent as in career mode. Also, it seems like my character is incapable of moving quickly to a short ball. Same thing in all modes... there's a short ball and he just slowly walks to it when he needs to get there and crush it. I played a guy who seemed to have this down. Its just so not fun and I'm so clueless I just give up.

Rock Strongo
10-17-2013, 02:03 PM
Soon. 14 more days.

A friend and I played Mario Tennis recently. I hit 79 aces, he hit 76. So many break points and match points I wasted in that final set... Was my Roddick moment. Threw absolutely everything I had at him and still lost.

DRII
10-17-2013, 05:24 PM
Mario Tennis 64 was an excellent game!

Rock Strongo
10-18-2013, 01:19 AM
Mario Tennis 64 was an excellent game!

Had there been a new version with online multiplayer, me and my friend would tear the world a new one. We absolutely love that game and make sure that everytime we meet, we play.

MichaelNadal
10-18-2013, 02:04 AM
Soon. 14 more days.

A friend and I played Mario Tennis recently. I hit 79 aces, he hit 76. So many break points and match points I wasted in that final set... Was my Roddick moment. Threw absolutely everything I had at him and still lost.

Yay, I'm ready to play u again. I'm working on getting my 2K Open ranking back up. After not playing so long I slipped to #199.

DRII
10-20-2013, 07:39 AM
Had there been a new version with online multiplayer, me and my friend would tear the world a new one. We absolutely love that game and make sure that everytime we meet, we play.

I hear you man! I wish the Wii version was a good as the 64 version. I would buy the newest Nintendo system just to play that game online!

Rock Strongo
10-20-2013, 10:58 AM
I hear you man! I wish the Wii version was a good as the 64 version. I would buy the newest Nintendo system just to play that game online!

I personally think it's the best tennis game ever made.

Sure, when me and my friend play it's usually an acefest (though last time was actually a new record for both of us) but it's the little individual quirks of each player and which makes it special. Baby Mario's speed and power, Waluigi's insane volleying skills, Boo's absurd slice serve (try it if you're playing a friend. Pick Boo as a lefty, have fun in the ad court. Had 10-11 aces in one game because I was having too much fun).

I want to play it now.

DRII
10-20-2013, 11:28 AM
I personally think it's the best tennis game ever made.

Sure, when me and my friend play it's usually an acefest (though last time was actually a new record for both of us) but it's the little individual quirks of each player and which makes it special. Baby Mario's speed and power, Waluigi's insane volleying skills, Boo's absurd slice serve (try it if you're playing a friend. Pick Boo as a lefty, have fun in the ad court. Had 10-11 aces in one game because I was having too much fun).

I want to play it now.

Lets meet and do it! LOL...

I agree about the characters, besides the fact that they're cartoons, they possess such different playing characteristics that make the game feel so realistic.

I also think PAM (the studio that designed the game) was obviously basing some of the characters on the pros from that time, or maybe they just did such a good job that they just happened to resemble the pros.

Donkey Kong was a Venus Clone, huge serve and power but a little inconsistent and also very fast (and fantastic BH). DK Jr was just like Serena at the time, basically a less powerful but more composed Venus (Donkey Kong).

Yoshi was just like Hewitt.

Wario was basically a Davenport (maybe a Delpo for today's men), crazy power and great ball direction but slow.

Mario was basically like Agassi.

It was just such a great game!

Rock Strongo
10-20-2013, 03:27 PM
Lets meet and do it! LOL...

I agree about the characters, besides the fact that they're cartoons, they possess such different playing characteristics that make the game feel so realistic.

I also think PAM (the studio that designed the game) was obviously basing some of the characters on the pros from that time, or maybe they just did such a good job that they just happened to resemble the pros.

Donkey Kong was a Venus Clone, huge serve and power but a little inconsistent and also very fast (and fantastic BH). DK Jr was just like Serena at the time, basically a less powerful but more composed Venus (Donkey Kong).

Yoshi was just like Hewitt.

Wario was basically a Davenport (maybe a Delpo for today's men), crazy power and great ball direction but slow.

Mario was basically like Agassi.

It was just such a great game!

I'm getting withdrawal symptoms from it now... Must find you!

I see Waluigi as someone like Rafter. Not much off the ground but good serve and excellent volleys. Luigi would be a lesser, more all-round version.

Either Peach or Daisy could pass off as Graf I think, can play from everywhere and paint the lines consistently.

Bowser? Not really Ivanisevic as he could actually move.

And when they were designing Baby Mario and Boo they were just sadistic. For someone as small as Baby Mario to hit 120 MPH flat serves out wide (the Raonic-type serve, absurd angle and all) is... It's something. Got around 30 aces from that serve though. And giving the psychotic slice to Boo... My god. The angles and touch would make Boo the McEnroe of the game. Very little power and for a McEnroe type quite slow but use him well and you'll be rewarded (or you do as me when playing Boo, charge the net and hope for the best). What Paratroopa is, I don't know. More power, less touch would sound appropriate.

Shy Guy would be Rios. I do not like playing CPU Shy Guy. Just too much guile.

DRII
10-21-2013, 03:20 PM
Boo has a ridiculous lob as well...

jamesblakefan#1
10-25-2013, 08:07 AM
Finally! After playing this game for 4+ years since release date...I am a legend. Went undefeated on expert difficulty for the entire season. Now have to achieve the legend objectives.

http://farm4.staticflickr.com/3833/10475542866_567e6793f0_b.jpg

kishnabe
11-18-2013, 08:04 AM
Finally getting late into this game. Got tired of VT4(Ranked in the top 70). Anyone in VT4 PC up for a match?

Played the first two top spin. The first one is beautiful....second one was weird with the controls.

Have not played TP 3 or 4. Got TP4 recently, and heard TP 5 is coming out next year.

Rock Strongo
12-11-2013, 01:10 PM
Top Spin 4 servers are back up!

kishnabe
12-13-2013, 04:08 PM

Yeah thankfully.

Are some players using Pre Patched Versions....when I serve with Roddick it is normal speed(I use the Stick Serve), but other players it untouchable at times.

How do you deal with Lag Inducers? One moment they are on the other side and half a second later they retrieved the ball.

MichaelNadal
12-16-2013, 11:18 PM

Yeah it was brutal not being able to play 2k!

Yeah thankfully.

Are some players using Pre Patched Versions....when I serve with Roddick it is normal speed(I use the Stick Serve), but other players it untouchable at times.

How do you deal with Lag Inducers? One moment they are on the other side and half a second later they retrieved the ball.

Honestly, if it's bad, I quit, it's not even worth it, because they are so fake.

Rock Strongo
12-27-2013, 03:21 PM
While I'm getting my ar$e handed to me by Mike, I've noticed that all players have become better at net, and the sort of volley specialists have gotten worse.

It just feels like playing at the net have become significantly harder, and I'm using Sampras!!

MichaelNadal
12-28-2013, 09:10 PM
While I'm getting my ar$e handed to me by Mike, I've noticed that all players have become better at net, and the sort of volley specialists have gotten worse.

It just feels like playing at the net have become significantly harder, and I'm using Sampras!!

That was a fun match :)

bezs
01-25-2014, 08:44 AM
The producers had good foresight in including Eugenie Bouchard in the game :)

Rock Strongo
07-21-2014, 08:25 AM
I will be on today inbetween laundry! And it seems as though the game has headset support, so if you want to hear what I sound like, today will be the day;)

cknobman
07-21-2014, 09:13 AM
Been searching everywhere for news on a Top Spin 5 and have not found anything.

2ksports is not responding to any questions/threads in their own forums.

I guess the ditched it. Sucks because I was really hoping for a Xbox one tennis game to play.

DRII
07-21-2014, 10:17 AM
Been searching everywhere for news on a Top Spin 5 and have not found anything.

2ksports is not responding to any questions/threads in their own forums.

I guess the ditched it. Sucks because I was really hoping for a Xbox one tennis game to play.

the only way i'm buying one of the new systems is if there's a good tennis game on it (TS4 wouldn't qualify IMO)! i'll officially retire from gaming and just keep my PS3 until it turnsover. i really don't have the time now anyways, plus i'm lucky enough to live close by several gamer friends; so if i ever need a fix they can just come over. matter of fact, i just played some tekken tag a few nights ago with the old crew (many have kids of their own now :) )

i'll just bum off of one of them when they get a new system, but sadly none are into tennis games :(

Overdrive
07-22-2014, 07:04 AM
I assume that this game is superior than EA Sports' Grand Slam Tennis 2?

DRII
07-22-2014, 07:42 AM
I assume that this game is superior than EA Sports' Grand Slam Tennis 2?

Yes, but thats not saying much...

cknobman
07-22-2014, 08:57 AM
In my opinion Top Spin 3 was the best version of the game.

Was not a fan of Top Spin 4 particularly and it was miles better than Grand Slam Tennis (never even bothered buying the second one).