PDA

View Full Version : Top Spin 4 Discussion Thread

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5 6

jamesblakefan#1
01-18-2011, 01:22 PM
Someone else posted a thread w/ the trailer, but I decided to post one for all the info that came out today.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs005.snc6/165526_162258267155345_122706877777151_321645_4941 661_n.jpg

Trailer: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nBSPmYCzaV0

Roster:
MEN:

Andre Agassi
Bjorn Borg
Roger Federer
Jim Courier
Rafael Nadal
Boris Becker
Patrick Rafter
Michael Chang
Andy Murray
Novak Djokovic
Ivan Lendl
Pete Sampras
Andy Roddick
James Blake
Nikolay Davydenko
Gilles Simon
Bernard Tomic
Stanislas Wawrinka

WOMEN:

Serena Williams
Ana Ivanovic
Dinara Safina
Caroline Wozniacki
Vera Zvonareva
Eugenie Bouchard
Jelena Jankovic

The release date is March 15. You can find more info here.

http://www.2ksports.com/games/topspin4
http://www.facebook.com/Topspin

PeterPanda
01-18-2011, 01:58 PM
Same destination and modes?

jamesblakefan#1
01-18-2011, 02:25 PM
Same destination and modes?

Career mode is supposed to be deeper, according to 2k.

Top Spin 4 redefines the way you experience the game of tennis. Intuitive controls make gameplay immediately accessible yet deep and rewarding for the tennis experts who want to plan their strategy, target their opponent's weaknesses and become an unstoppable force on the court. The most feature-rich title of the Top Spin franchise, Top Spin 4, puts you front and center of the professional tennis experience with the deepest player roster to date complete with 2K's Signature Style, an enhanced Player Creator with NEW Coaching and Development systems, an incredibly immersive Career mode, all-new visually stunning TV Broadcast presentation elements, and a fully online World Tour Mode. Do you have what it takes to rise above the competition and become #1 in the world?

http://www.2ksports.com/games/topspin4

Mansewerz
01-18-2011, 02:56 PM
I hope it's less clunky and sped up a bit. The animations look a bit better, especially jumping 2 handers and federer's strokes.

Player models look better too, but still a bit too large. I wish they would fix their racquets too (aesthetics, not just paintjobs).

And they totally **** on the WTA with that roster (though the men's is amazing!)

flyinghippos101
01-18-2011, 03:44 PM
Tomic? lol, ok I'll bite. I'm fine with the rest of the rooster though, Davydenko finally earns a deserved placed on the TS rooster. If I saw someone that long retired like Phillipousis I would've raged

Here's to hoping they do something with the single player career! Gameplay is fine, if not a bit slow. And if they somehow managed to create some racket customizability, picking frames, strings, etc. that would add an entire new layer of immersion to make your own unique player.

Not gonna lie though, some of those character movements looked terrible and those face textures look even worse than they did in Virtua tennis 2009. The only one that resembled the real player was Agassi

I saw a few real life venues though, Paris and WTF was there but I get the feeling that they probably didn't get the licenses for Wimbledon and a few other tournys like Cinci. Looks like we'll be getting that "Dublin Open" wimby surrogate again.

Mansewerz
01-18-2011, 03:47 PM
Any word on commentary?

Clay lover
01-19-2011, 12:20 AM
I am one of the fans of Virtua Tennis (3, not 2009, 2009 sucked) who felt it would not hurt to try Top Spin 3 but in honesty I found the gameplay to be mediocre at best. The player models didn't look good and their strokes bear little resemblance to their real-life counterparts. I could live with these flaws, though, if the game weren't so "clunky" as one here described it. The running animation looked ok, but when the players started executing their strokes it was as if they suddenly stopped their previous motion, glided on the ground for a bit until they finished their strokes.

Virtua Tennis 3, on the other hand, was MUCH more fluid and well animated and the players actually looked and hit similar to the way they did in real life. So I went back to Virtua tennis despite it being less realistic.

Later I bumped in to a cheap 2nd hand Top Spin 2 and found it to be much better than Top Spin 3. Despite the limited vareity of animation and player models the game was actually fluid and the career mode was much less boring and repetitive. Slice shots and Topspin shots would actually go out which seemed more realistic to me. I really hoped they could bring the gameplay of Top Spin 2 back with the updated graphics and player animations for Top Spin 4. That would be perfect.

bezs
01-19-2011, 02:32 AM
Eugenie Bouchard? A 16year old makes the game...

jamesblakefan#1
01-19-2011, 02:36 AM
Eugenie Bouchard? A 16year old makes the game...

I know right. The devs said this:

“For us it’s really about trying to capture what today’s tennis landscape looks like,” said Snyder. “But you also want to have the up-and-comers. We were looking at Eugenie Bouchard, who is a Canadian female tennis player who is very much so an up-and-comer -- and we think in a few years she probably could be in the top five somewhere. We want players like that because the hardcore tennis fan is going to be able to recognize that we went out of our way to get some of those up-and-comers."

http://www.operationsports.com/features/1209/the-process-of-creating-top-spin-4/

You want up and comers, guys like Dimitrov, Dolgopolov, Harrison, Sweeting, heck even Oudin or Vandeweghe if it had to be a chick. I hadn't heard of this girl before,and we all know how illustrious women's tennis for Canada is.

westside
01-19-2011, 02:40 AM
Wawrinka got a gig. I'm sold

bezs
01-19-2011, 03:29 AM
At least if she doesn't make it at the top she can say she made it in a video game.

lidoazndiabloboi
01-19-2011, 11:29 AM
Atari needs to go back to making the Top Spin games.
The original Top Spin game was "classic", much better than the new ones.

Maybe 2k Sports needs some help from the guys that make Virtua Tennis because their strokes are nothing like the real thing.

lidoazndiabloboi
01-19-2011, 11:30 AM
lol... federer has wristbands on both arms whereas nadal only has his on his left arm.

rovex
01-19-2011, 11:33 AM
No Verdasco? What an effin disgrace!

jamesblakefan#1
01-21-2011, 09:00 AM
Gamespot preview w/ some info

http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/sports/topspin4/news.html?sid=6286632&mode=previews

leonidas1982
01-21-2011, 01:32 PM
Can they stop advertising this game has having signature styles when it clearly does not.

Fandango
01-21-2011, 02:12 PM
the pro's technique is horrible. I know its a video game but they should have the pros come in to do the shots like they have in video games like tony hawk and nba 2k something and live.

I laughed at Andre's service motion and Fed's and Blake's horrible one handed half stroke.

Why is james is the game anyways? I'm pretty sure he is done and he is definitely not a legend.

ARIARAIDEN
01-21-2011, 02:29 PM
If Top spin would have the Shot motions like VT the game would be perfect but as always all the forehands looks exactly the same.

jamesblakefan#1
01-21-2011, 02:48 PM
the pro's technique is horrible. I know its a video game but they should have the pros come in to do the shots like they have in video games like tony hawk and nba 2k something and live.

I laughed at Andre's service motion and Fed's and Blake's horrible one handed half stroke.

Why is james is the game anyways? I'm pretty sure he is done and he is definitely not a legend.

Actually in NBA 2K I'm pretty sure they actually have guys who mo-cap most of the guys' shots. And the roster was put into place well into advance, probably over a year ago before Blake fell out of the top 100.

CityTennis22
01-21-2011, 03:59 PM
James Blake might have a contract with them, because he's been in the last few believe.

mdjenders
01-21-2011, 10:28 PM
i agree that the player animations really make it hard to get excited about this series... despite the over the top arcadey gameplay, it was really spectacular in VT3 to see all the "signature" strokes. ferrero's classic forehand, roddick's serve, hewitt's serve return stance, monfils' jumping two hander... all there, all very accurately portrayed. this alone made each opponent feel unique and interesting and the game worthwhile for the tennis purist.

Mansewerz
01-21-2011, 10:50 PM
The technique looks better in this game though. But Rafa's forehand is still to exaggerated.

They need to get the game to be smoother, but less clunky. Think Topspin 1 speed with improved graphics, roster, camera angles, the works!

And commentary!

But, I still think I'll give this game a shot. Why not?

If the VT series wasn't as arcadey, and you could make mistakes, it'd be great (also with some more difficulties). Their animations and player movements are amazing.

Mansewerz
01-21-2011, 10:53 PM
Also, anyone else ****ed off with how difficult aces are in Topspin 3? Same with kick serves and slice serves. It's hard to be a smart, imposing server.

Mansewerz
01-21-2011, 11:43 PM
Watched the video, and here are some of my comments.

Good:
-Improved roster
-Game speed has picked up
-Playing defense seems to be more smooth, realistic (quick flicks, WW forehands, etc)
-The players movement seems to be less clunky

Bad:
-Players have the wrong types of shot technique. Ex: Pete Sampras does not hit a pinpoint style serve. He uses a platform serve. Any tennis enthusiast can pick out a Sampras serve. I mean really? They perfectly replicated his serve in Topspin 1. Why can't they do that now?
-Forehand technique especially is damn ugly at times. It looks like they're slapping the ball. I mean seriously? These are pros, not backyard hacks.
-No commentary, or so it seems. Grand Slam tennis for the Wii has it, so why can't TS4?

Other issues: DLC? Will there be any? How about overpowered created players? No?

leonidas1982
01-22-2011, 06:35 AM
Watched the video, and here are some of my comments.

Good:
-Improved roster
-Game speed has picked up
-Playing defense seems to be more smooth, realistic (quick flicks, WW forehands, etc)
-The players movement seems to be less clunky

Bad:
-Players have the wrong types of shot technique. Ex: Pete Sampras does not hit a pinpoint style serve. He uses a platform serve. Any tennis enthusiast can pick out a Sampras serve. I mean really? They perfectly replicated his serve in Topspin 1. Why can't they do that now?
-Forehand technique especially is damn ugly at times. It looks like they're slapping the ball. I mean seriously? These are pros, not backyard hacks.
-No commentary, or so it seems. Grand Slam tennis for the Wii has it, so why can't TS4?

Other issues: DLC? Will there be any? How about overpowered created players? No?

Precisely why this game will be mediocre and clueless. It is being made by individuals who apparently don't know anything by tennis or even watch tennis.

westside
01-22-2011, 06:40 AM
Topspin gameplay + Virtua player attributes = GTGOAT

defrule
01-23-2011, 08:24 PM
I hope clay plays better. In topspin 3 rafas forehand didnt do anything like kicking up to shoulder height.

Insideout forehands were near impossible to hit. Very important shot that pros use that topspin3 couldnt adequately provide. I mean when i play rafa on clay on a tennis game, i want to see him run around to hit forehands on the backhand corner for example.

jamesblakefan#1
01-24-2011, 11:15 AM
More info.

http://kotaku.com/5741106/tennis-everyone-is-the-name-of-top-spins-latest-game

Mansewerz
01-24-2011, 02:42 PM
Damn, no commentary. But, the pre-match stuff looks nice as well as the concept of a bit easier play. I hope it's sped up too.

flyinghippos101
01-24-2011, 04:22 PM
No Wimbledon? What the hell? No, I don't want to play the Dublin Open, this cheap Wimbledon knock-off, I want the real thing.

leonidas1982
01-24-2011, 04:26 PM
I also want real signature styles.

AlexDK09
01-25-2011, 01:52 AM
When will there finally be a ranking system in a video game?

jamesblakefan#1
01-25-2011, 07:17 AM

There was a ranking system in Top Spin 3, as well as Smash Court Tennis 2 & 3.

LameTennisPlayer
01-25-2011, 07:29 AM

There have been tonnes of tennis games with ranking systems.

snr
01-25-2011, 07:32 AM
I'm really looking forward to this.

I can overlook the animations...

I've played VT, GST and the old top spin and while the old top spin games are quicker, what I really like about TS3 is acutally the slower pace. I helps to visualize point construction.

Can't wait for it.

jms007
01-25-2011, 07:50 AM
Er, this doesn't look to good. Maybe tennis is just not big enough of a sport for a developer to put some REAL effort into. And by that I mean, making a really good sim such as FIFA, PES, NBA, NHL etc. A game that uses the ATP license, with realistic movement and character models. I thought VT was on the right track but it just stopped evolving at some point.

LameTennisPlayer
01-25-2011, 07:58 AM
Er, this doesn't look to good. Maybe tennis is just not big enough of a sport for a developer to put some REAL effort into. And by that I mean, making a really good sim such as FIFA, PES, NBA, NHL etc. A game that uses the ATP license, with realistic movement and character models. I thought VT was on the right track but it just stopped evolving at some point.

Try Full Ace Tennis- if you want a real simulation of tennis, it's the best one.

JackB1
01-25-2011, 08:28 AM
Tennis Elbow on the PC is still the best, gameplay wise.

www.managames.com

AlexDK09
01-25-2011, 09:18 AM
There was a ranking system in Top Spin 3, as well as Smash Court Tennis 2 & 3.

I know about that, I was thinking of ranking points as in the ATP World Tour

CityTennis22
01-25-2011, 09:53 AM
No Wimbledon? What the hell? No, I don't want to play the Dublin Open, this cheap Wimbledon knock-off, I want the real thing.

It's Wimbledon's fault. Not 2K's. They never want anybody except them to profit off of their name.

LameTennisPlayer
01-25-2011, 02:29 PM
Tennis Elbow on the PC is still the best, gameplay wise.

www.managames.com

It doesn't even compare to Dream Match Tennis or Full Ace.

Legend of Borg
01-25-2011, 02:33 PM
Tomic gets a gig, but Dolgo and Dimitrov are nowhere to be seen?

Blasphemy!

PeterPanda
01-25-2011, 03:56 PM
any free online ones for browsers?

LameTennisPlayer
01-25-2011, 04:23 PM
any free online ones for browsers?

download trial version of Full Ace- beats all the others hands down. Full Version is only 15 pounds.

JackB1
01-25-2011, 06:32 PM
It doesn't even compare to Dream Match Tennis or Full Ace.

Boy, you weren't kidding! Full Ace is awesome! I couldn't believe how detailed it was. And Hard!!! I had to dial it down to "easy" and "auto prepare" to get some competitive games to start. Tennis Elbow is fun and more casual, but Ace is definitely hard core. Thanks for the tip!

flyinghippos101
01-25-2011, 07:01 PM
It's Wimbledon's fault. Not 2K's. They never want anybody except them to profit off of their name.

Mind explaining to me how EA manage to get the licensing for Wimbledon in Grand Slam tennis then?

jamesblakefan#1
01-25-2011, 07:06 PM
Mind explaining to me how EA manage to get the licensing for Wimbledon in Grand Slam tennis then?

EA likely has more money to spend on the process involved in acquiring the Wimbledon license, as evidenced by the fact they also recently acquired the Augusta National license for the upcoming TW 12 golf game.

flyinghippos101
01-26-2011, 07:37 PM
EA likely has more money to spend on the process involved in acquiring the Wimbledon license, as evidenced by the fact they also recently acquired the Augusta National license for the upcoming TW 12 golf game.

2K games is among the more prominent developers in the gaming industry. With that said, I'm sure they have more than enough funds to acquire a license. I mean, they managed to get the FO, AO and USO. Was it just a hassle to call up the guys at Wimbledon?

Mansewerz
01-26-2011, 07:52 PM
Is Grand Slam tennis for PS3 even in the works? The game is nowhere to be seen.

LameTennisPlayer
01-26-2011, 08:12 PM
Boy, you weren't kidding! Full Ace is awesome! I couldn't believe how detailed it was. And Hard!!! I had to dial it down to "easy" and "auto prepare" to get some competitive games to start. Tennis Elbow is fun and more casual, but Ace is definitely hard core. Thanks for the tip!

no problem, try and get used to manual preparation as quickly as possible as u are able to create better shots eg inside out forehands, better returns, angled shots etc... when u purchase the full version around 15 euros, u are automatically entitled to future updates with no further charge.

jamesblakefan#1
01-26-2011, 08:24 PM
2K games is among the more prominent developers in the gaming industry. With that said, I'm sure they have more than enough funds to acquire a license. I mean, they managed to get the FO, AO and USO. Was it just a hassle to call up the guys at Wimbledon?

The same 2K that got outbid for the NFL exclusive license by EA. 2K also canceled their NHL series due to loss of money. That stuff doesn't grow on trees, you know.

If Wimbledon has an exclusive license w/ EA like the NFL does, there isn't much 2K can do about it.

JackB1
01-27-2011, 05:35 AM
no problem, try and get used to manual preparation as quickly as possible as u are able to create better shots eg inside out forehands, better returns, angled shots etc... when u purchase the full version around 15 euros, u are automatically entitled to future updates with no further charge.

For manual preperation, do you just tap the right or left button as soon as you see which side the shot is on? Or do you wait sometimes?

Power Player
01-27-2011, 05:53 AM

Are you serious? Wow, people are naive. Yeah, they were too lazy to make a phone call..lol. No. Wimbledon is extremely hard to deal with when it comes to licensing. It is not nearly as easy as you are insinuating. Regardless, who cares? Tennis games (well, the rare good ones) are best enjoyed against a human opponent. If the grass court in the game does not say Wimbledon, it's not really going to affect me in the least.

LameTennisPlayer
01-27-2011, 06:09 AM
For manual preperation, do you just tap the right or left button as soon as you see which side the shot is on? Or do you wait sometimes?

My keyboard keys are left shift for leftside, and right shift for rightside, a quick tap is all you need, keep in mind you can switch to the alternate side if you decide to change your shot selection from backhand to forehand and visa versa. Delay your choice when you are running down balls whether they are hard dtl or drop shots, you will get to the ball quicker. Make sure you complete all the tutorial tips, and spend a bit of time in the practise area-groundstrokes to get a feel using manual prep and playing around with shots.

JackB1
01-27-2011, 06:27 AM
My keyboard keys are left shift for leftside, and right shift for rightside, a quick tap is all you need, keep in mind you can switch to the alternate side if you decide to change your shot selection from backhand to forehand and visa versa. Delay your choice when you are running down balls whether they are hard dtl or drop shots, you will get to the ball quicker. Make sure you complete all the tutorial tips, and spend a bit of time in the practise area-groundstrokes to get a feel using manual prep and playing around with shots.

Wow, you actually play Full Ace with the keyboard? That must be even harder. I use a gamepad. When not grab a cheap Logitech gamepad? It will make the game more enjoyable IMO.

I did all the tutorials...Very helpful. This is also the first tennis game where it's actually fun to hit off the ball machine. I dont think any console game can come close to the depth and gameplay of Full Ace. I also tried Dream
Match Tennis and it's good too, but I didn't like how you have to wait until almost hitting before pressing the button to hit. The timing was throwing me off. I think Full Ace is the best.

flyinghippos101
01-27-2011, 06:36 AM
Are you serious? Wow, people are naive. Yeah, they were too lazy to make a phone call..lol. No. Wimbledon is extremely hard to deal with when it comes to licensing. It is not nearly as easy as you are insinuating. Regardless, who cares? Tennis games (well, the rare good ones) are best enjoyed against a human opponent. If the grass court in the game does not say Wimbledon, it's not really going to affect me in the least.

It's hard to convey sarcasm over the internet...

I'm just saying since they had Wimbledon in Top Spin 2, licensing Wimbledon may have been possible but was a disappointing that they didn't have it in TS4.

LameTennisPlayer
01-27-2011, 06:45 AM
Wow, you actually play Full Ace with the keyboard? That must be even harder. I use a gamepad. When not grab a cheap Logitech gamepad? It will make the game more enjoyable IMO.

Yes, I use the keyboard, but I've been playing it for a long time. Don't get me wrong it took me a long time to win one point on easy, let alone a game then a set. I'm just happy to use the keyboard for now, may try it with a gamepad later at some point. I also agree it is the best tennis simulation game atm and great value, after trying every other game on the market.

Power Player
01-27-2011, 08:51 AM
It's hard to convey sarcasm over the internet...

I'm just saying since they had Wimbledon in Top Spin 2, licensing Wimbledon may have been possible but was a disappointing that they didn't have it in TS4.

What I heard happened is that EA spent a ton on it for Grand Slam tennis. Thus pricing out the competition. They do this a lot (Madden buying exclusive rights to the NFL). It's lame and has really hurt sports video games in general.

stoutman11
01-27-2011, 09:06 AM
Electronic Arts is the largest or second largest video game publisher in the world with activision being the other. EA has a substantial edge in assets and money. They more than likely have an exclusive deal with wimbledon for a certian amount of time. Thus top spin is left in the cold when it comes to that. EA actually tried to aquire 2k=TakeTwo (ttwo) about a year or so ago but take two wouldnt sell.

Anyhow Top spin is looking to be the best bet for a tennis simulation on a current console. Virtua Tennis games can be very fun however they are very arcade like and more of a pick up and play with friends game. Although top spin is missing quite a bit of features that would make a complete tennis game.

I would really love if they either Take Two or EA would make an ATP game only. With the top 50-100 players in the world. Dont waste any money on the ladies players. I honestly dont care about retired players or lengends either save that money.... Like Nba 2k11 or Madden they are very official and try to be very sim. Give me the top 50-100 male players in the world. Give me the top tennis sponsors, the real outfits, and equipment down to the strings. Give me challenges (spot shot) like in smash court. Give me all the grand slams, all the masters series and the actual stadiums they are played in.... they can make up stuff for the 500 series and lower- that is fine to save money. Give me real player motion and animation for all of them. Bring in 2-3 guys to motion capture the top-50 guys on tour. Watch a game or set and mimic these guys in a motion cap studio! please.

Now for the complainers wanting the WTA maybe if the ATP game does well they could take turns releasing the game every other year like in Toronto and Montreal. so every other year you would get a new release with wta and Atp.

jamesblakefan#1
01-28-2011, 05:16 PM
Prediction for the Aussie Open final.

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs279.snc6/180771_164911103556728_122706877777151_333594_6661 986_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs279.snc6/180771_164911106890061_122706877777151_333595_8230 643_n.jpg

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs279.snc6/180771_164911110223394_122706877777151_333596_5844 503_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs279.snc6/180771_164911116890060_122706877777151_333598_4462 698_n.jpg

jamesblakefan#1
01-28-2011, 05:17 PM
http://a5.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs270.snc6/179824_164911996889972_122706877777151_333600_1471 798_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs250.snc6/179824_164911993556639_122706877777151_333599_5845 428_n.jpg

http://a3.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/hs270.snc6/179824_164912000223305_122706877777151_333601_3234 855_n.jpg

http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs890.ash1/179824_164912003556638_122706877777151_333602_4935 568_n.jpg

flyinghippos101
01-28-2011, 06:17 PM
Found this on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF0TeNDTp7c

Looks good but some of the animations and the sound effects are kinda...iffy, but they still have a bit before release. The game will probably be a whole lot diferent than this demo

jamesblakefan#1
01-28-2011, 06:28 PM
I also hope that there's options for day/night matches this time, since the AO final is during the night. But apparently not. :?

Power Player
01-28-2011, 09:11 PM
Found this on youtube

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pF0TeNDTp7c

Looks good but some of the animations and the sound effects are kinda...iffy, but they still have a bit before release. The game will probably be a whole lot diferent than this demo

I liked it a lot..it looked good. But a little choppy at times. I saw a lot of signature shots, which was nice.

Mansewerz
01-29-2011, 06:38 PM
Wtf, this needs night matches, especially at the US Open. If you're having more interactive crowds, you need night matches.

I wish EA would just get on their horse and make a PS3/360 version. It's sad when Grand Slam tennis has better signature styles and technique than Topspin.

canuckfan
01-30-2011, 08:29 PM
http://sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/hs890.ash1/179824_164912003556638_122706877777151_333602_4935 568_n.jpg

Impressively close! How did you get the game if it's supposed to come out in march?

westside
01-30-2011, 09:07 PM
Just play Topspin 1 just before. Forgot how amazing that game is. So simple, yet so fun. Much better than Topspin 3 IMO

jamesblakefan#1
01-30-2011, 09:16 PM
Impressively close! How did you get the game if it's supposed to come out in march?

I don't have the game, it's from Topspin's Facebook page.

dr_punk
01-31-2011, 05:54 AM
These topspins are a joke. I always go back to the 1st topspin on the original xbox console, and that is far beyond better than any tennis game that has come since.

This franchise and others are a shame to what tennis is represented as in video game culture. Truly.

flyinghippos101
02-02-2011, 07:43 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G3opSynn1g0&feature=feedbul

New vid out, retro Agassi with wig for anyone who preorders at Gamestop

Mansewerz
02-02-2011, 08:43 PM
Finally, some more content.

That said, Tennis Elbow 2011 is badass.

flyinghippos101
02-03-2011, 09:20 AM
Anyone buying at launch? I think I'll hold off till I hear from some player reviews. You can't trust the big name reviewers these days.

Tennisguy3000
02-03-2011, 09:52 AM
As a former complete addict of Top Spin 1 & 2 I am looking forward to all of your comments on this one. Looks like a March 15 release, wish it was now with the wet outdoor courts in my area http://2ksports.com/news/topspin4/414

We used to run leagues & ladders and play for hours.

OK.. just found this... Looks Awesome! http://apps.facebook.com/topspinfour/

Cya on the courts

Tennisguy3000
02-03-2011, 09:53 AM
OK.. just found this... Looks Awesome! http://apps.facebook.com/topspinfour/

JackB1
02-03-2011, 10:26 AM
Finally, some more content.

That said, Tennis Elbow 2011 is badass.

Not even in the same league as Full Ace Tennis

Mansewerz
02-03-2011, 11:39 AM
Some of us have computers that can't run Full Ace

JackB1
02-03-2011, 12:53 PM
Some of us have computers that can't run Full Ace

Ahhhhh. Did u try lowering the resolution and all the details?

I have T Elbow on my work computer for that reason :)
Plus its easy to play with a keyboard.

leonidas1982
02-03-2011, 01:13 PM
Anyone buying at launch? I think I'll hold off till I hear from some player reviews. You can't trust the big name reviewers these days.

Advertising and claiming to have player signature styles and then the trailers shows the contrary only speaks volume of the game's honesty and grade.

Mansewerz
02-03-2011, 02:30 PM
Ahhhhh. Did u try lowering the resolution and all the details?

I have T Elbow on my work computer for that reason :)
Plus its easy to play with a keyboard.

Not sure if that'd work. When I try to install/run (can't remember) I get a error message saying "Open GL drivers missing." I don't remember all of the details, but I think at the time, I saw that i need new video drivers, or something of that nature.

JackB1
02-03-2011, 06:40 PM
Not sure if that'd work. When I try to install/run (can't remember) I get a error message saying "Open GL drivers missing." I don't remember all of the details, but I think at the time, I saw that i need new video drivers, or something of that nature.

You might just need to install Direct X.

jamesblakefan#1
02-04-2011, 08:45 AM
New game mode: "King of the Court"

http://www.facebook.com/notes/topspin/developer-diary-2-king-of-the-court/198663056815491

Mansewerz
02-06-2011, 03:01 PM
Sounds interesting. What about DLC? Are they actually gonna come through this time?

flyinghippos101
02-07-2011, 07:57 PM
Sounds interesting. What about DLC? Are they actually gonna come through this time?

Their track record says no but then again its a new developer so lets hope

Arthuro
02-07-2011, 08:03 PM
I have it pre-ordered but I don't know if it is going to be stellar...

leonidas1982
02-07-2011, 08:04 PM
Their track record says no but then again its a new developer so lets hope

They've already duffed it up by blatantly giving inaccurate serving motions of Sampras, Becker, Blake, and others. That doesn't bode well just like TS3.

flyinghippos101
02-07-2011, 08:10 PM
Not too sure I'm gonan buy this at luanch, some decent high profile releases during March. I'm probably gonna end up spending my money on Shogun total war instead and just wait till the end of the year when the price has gone down.

jamesblakefan#1
02-10-2011, 09:00 AM
Another new blog about individual play styles.

http://www.facebook.com/notes/topspin/developer-diary-3-play-styles/200356866646110

leonidas1982
02-10-2011, 01:43 PM
Another new blog about individual play styles.

http://www.facebook.com/notes/topspin/developer-diary-3-play-styles/200356866646110

The players" attributes are laughable; clearly, the developers took the easy way.

http://a8.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-ash1/182782_168105726570599_122706877777151_349321_6543 381_n.jpg

http://a1.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/182842_168106043237234_122706877777151_349324_1134 327_n.jpg

http://a7.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/180354_168105643237274_122706877777151_349319_7557 629_n.jpg

http://a2.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc6/180878_168105523237286_122706877777151_349317_2698 206_n.jpg

AznHylite
02-10-2011, 02:15 PM
The attribute distribution is terrible... Since when is Murray's forehand better than his backhand? Do they even watch tennis? :???:

Meriko
02-10-2011, 04:44 PM
Personally, I think TS4 will be horrible. I was a big fan of TS 1 & 2, as well as VT 3 & 2009, but TS3 was HORRIBLE and this looks pretty much the same. Terrible animations and no fun to play at all. The VT's may be a little "too" arcade-y, but they are crazy fun with beautiful animations and character models. If they add some kind of error system in Virtua Tennis 4, I know I'm going to love it.

Pidgeon
02-11-2011, 01:45 AM
Personally, I think TS4 will be horrible. I was a big fan of TS 1 & 2, as well as VT 3 & 2009, but TS3 was HORRIBLE and this looks pretty much the same. Terrible animations and no fun to play at all. The VT's may be a little "too" arcade-y, but they are crazy fun with beautiful animations and character models. If they add some kind of error system in Virtua Tennis 4, I know I'm going to love it.

Virtua Tennis 2009 is the WORST tennis game ever !
I bought it, played 2 matches and never played it again.
0,0 % realism
you just hit as hard as you can, no game plan , service is just trying
to hit the top of the bar , ...
really no variation, players springt like usain bolt , the volley system is even more terrible (when u smash on a player he just volleys it back) , ...
ughh
hate this game so much (although VT 3 wasn't that bad ...)

hope TS 4 will have a nice online feat

stanton warrior
02-11-2011, 02:03 AM
The animations, especially of the strokes, still look far from natural... Why can't they fix it?

Meriko
02-11-2011, 11:11 AM
Yea, I agree, but I still had tons of fun on it online :P I don't understand why people say VT3 is better, it's like the exact same thing?

Mansewerz
02-11-2011, 01:46 PM
Attributes are terrible. Fed's serve and speed suck, and Murray's forehand is nowhere near his backhand.

JackB1
02-11-2011, 05:00 PM
The rap music on the trailer video seems so out of place.
The isn't NBA Jam! :)

grimmbomb21
02-11-2011, 09:32 PM
Well at least they know that Murray's forehand is better than the Sampras serve.

Oh wait...:)

westside
02-11-2011, 09:55 PM
I think they were a little harsh on Fed's volleys lol

bezs
02-14-2011, 01:04 AM
Game coming out next month and no gameplay preview videos?

jamesblakefan#1
02-14-2011, 07:20 AM
Game coming out next month and no gameplay preview videos?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nFQQMryiq5I

leonidas1982
02-14-2011, 12:54 PM
For TS3, the demo came out after the game was released.

OHAI
02-14-2011, 03:19 PM
Is Grand Slam tennis for PS3 even in the works? The game is nowhere to be seen.

No they 86ed that game for all platforms except the Nintendo Wii, I think it's even discontinued for the Wii I had a hell of a time finding it.

On that note no Berdych on Top Spin 4 which is lame.

Still no Wimbledon even more lame.

No McEnroe or Sampras LAME

jamesblakefan#1
02-14-2011, 03:43 PM
No they 86ed that game for all platforms except the Nintendo Wii, I think it's even discontinued for the Wii I had a hell of a time finding it.

No McEnroe or Sampras LAME

Don't know what you're talking about w/ GST, it's def easy to find online on Amazon for under $20, and latest I heard is that a version for the Kinect and PS Move is still in the works possibly for later this year.

And Sampras is in. Don't know why people come here crapping on stuff that's in the game, as if it's not in the game.

jamesblakefan#1
02-15-2011, 04:56 PM
IGN preview.

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/114/1149875p1.html

OHAI
02-15-2011, 07:42 PM
Don't know what you're talking about w/ GST, it's def easy to find online on Amazon for under $20, and latest I heard is that a version for the Kinect and PS Move is still in the works possibly for later this year.

And Sampras is in. Don't know why people come here crapping on stuff that's in the game, as if it's not in the game.

Sampras is in Top Spin 4? AWESOME!

I did get GST @ Gamestop for $11 new.

OHAI
02-15-2011, 07:44 PM
I agree that James Blake shouldn't be in the game.

jamesblakefan#1
02-16-2011, 11:00 AM
NY Times preview calls TS4 'the best tennis simulation to date'.

http://www.nypost.com/p/blogs/gamereport/top_spin_looks_to_serve_up_an_ace_BTUzoUW71WNR97Ad qqwWGN

ARIARAIDEN
02-18-2011, 10:43 AM
Gilles Simon
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IHz8cTITIw0

Power Player
02-18-2011, 11:05 AM
I'm not a game snob..so if it is feels good in my hands to play, I am going to like it from what I have seen and read so far.

jamesblakefan#1
02-18-2011, 12:19 PM
Found these gameplay vids on youtube.

Simon vs Murray at RG: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyqGylH9Sdc&feature=rec-LGOUT-real_rn-1r-23-HM
Sampras vs Fed at Miami: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAeyfgGqtWc&feature=related
Agassi vs Sampras at Indian Wells: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN-CFbLO9jY&feature=related
Nadal vs Roddick at USO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qEU3TI-B0w&feature=related

Mansewerz
02-18-2011, 01:01 PM
Game speed seems to have picked up, which is good. But it has that same annoying umpire voice. And, the people's motions look awful. Late takebacks, awkward movements. Just not very polished on the appearance end. They definitely cut corners on motions and player movement and technique.

leonidas1982
02-18-2011, 01:12 PM
Game speed seems to have picked up, which is good. But it has that same annoying umpire voice. And, the people's motions look awful. Late takebacks, awkward movements. Just not very polished on the appearance end. They definitely cut corners on motions and player movement and technique.

I'm going to assume they don't plan on fixing anybody's motions (especially on the serve). The lack of care and accuracy that 2K has for the players' motions is revealing of what the actual gameplay will be like.

Scientist
02-18-2011, 04:21 PM
2k Sports had so long to work with this, it really better be (or should have been) very good. I'm not very encouraged by the gameplay clips, the strokes still look awful imo. How hard is it to motion capture a basic forehand? Look at what they did with NBA 2k11, almost every player had a particular style, and that's like 300+ rosters.

I'm really hoping this turns out to be a better product than first glance.

ronalditop
02-18-2011, 04:47 PM
Found these gameplay vids on youtube.

Simon vs Murray at RG: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TyqGylH9Sdc&feature=rec-LGOUT-real_rn-1r-23-HM
Sampras vs Fed at Miami: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EAeyfgGqtWc&feature=related
Agassi vs Sampras at Indian Wells: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lN-CFbLO9jY&feature=related
Nadal vs Roddick at USO: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_qEU3TI-B0w&feature=related

Dream Match Tennis has way better player's motion and technique than TS4. Sampras' serve is terrible, doesnt look at all like him. Only good thing I see about this game is the graphics, but if I had to choose I would play DMT instead, MUCH more real and entertaining.

leonidas1982
02-18-2011, 04:53 PM
Dream Match Tennis has way better player's motion and technique than TS4. Sampras' serve is terrible, doesnt look at all like him. Only good thing I see about this game is the graphics, but if I had to choose I would play DMT instead, MUCH more real and entertaining.

Agreed. There isn't much of a point to include legends in the game if their signature shots and motions that they are known for are blatantly absent. From what I've seen so far, Sampras, Becker, Agassi, and the rest have the same service motion.

Scientist
02-18-2011, 10:28 PM
------------

cy1126dragonamul
02-19-2011, 05:32 AM
same service motions......
2k haven't paid attention....

woodrow1029
02-21-2011, 07:02 AM
Tomic? lol, ok I'll bite.

It's better than when they tried putting Brendan Evans and Alex Kuznetsov in the roster.

Aeropax
02-21-2011, 10:25 AM
I've been playing Dream Match Tennis lately and, aside from the graphics and lack of any professional licensing, I'd say it's better than Top Spin 3 and Virtua Tennis 2009.

From what I've seen Topspin 4 looks pretty solid, but I'm still worried about how easy the game will become after the first week or so. I'm sick of winning every match in straights in Top Spin 3.

Also, some of the rallies seem to take too long. Like, in the Simon video, his opponent returned like 5 clear winners quite routinely before Simon smashed it.

jamesblakefan#1
02-21-2011, 09:56 PM
Career Mode Info. Sounds awesome

http://www.destructoid.com/preview-top-spin-4-player-creator-career-more--194624.phtml

Rock Strongo
02-22-2011, 02:34 AM
This game looks absolutely terrible. I don't care about graphics, that's for every CoD player, but they seem to have made this incredibly half-arsed. All service motions look terrible, animations aren't right, attributes system is all wrong and I'm pretty sure it'll all be one giant cluster making love.
The best tennis game is Mario Tennis for the N64 or Top Spin 1. At least they captured realism (if you look past all the Nintendo characters on Mario Tennis)

woodrow1029
02-22-2011, 02:14 PM
I still wish they would develop a game in which you can throw the racket, argue with an umpire, or challenge calls. Anyone know if this game will have any of those?

jamesblakefan#1
02-22-2011, 02:18 PM
I still wish they would develop a game in which you can throw the racket, argue with an umpire, or challenge calls. Anyone know if this game will have any of those?

Not sure, but Smash Court Tennis 3 did have the challenge system.

leonidas1982
02-22-2011, 02:22 PM
Smash Court 2 was very nice to play.

Mansewerz
02-22-2011, 03:18 PM
Smash Court 2 was very nice to play.

Amazing game. Great mix of realism and game speed. If only they could improve upon that game and make it tougher but with even more realism. Sigh.....

leonidas1982
02-22-2011, 05:40 PM
Amazing game. Great mix of realism and game speed. If only they could improve upon that game and make it tougher but with even more realism. Sigh.....

In truth what Smash Court 2 needed was online play, split screen, branding for rackets and apparel. Apart from that, the game was perfect -- it was both real and accessible. The career mode on Smash Court 2 was the best I've seen in a tennis game.

ARIARAIDEN
02-24-2011, 07:52 AM
Career Mode Trailer
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EcYeZTLuXik

PeterPanda
02-24-2011, 10:40 AM
Not sure, but Smash Court Tennis 3 did have the challenge system.

Is there a challange sytem one for wii.

Mansewerz
02-24-2011, 01:26 PM
In truth what Smash Court 2 needed was online play, split screen, branding for rackets and apparel. Apart from that, the game was perfect -- it was both real and accessible. The career mode on Smash Court 2 was the best I've seen in a tennis game.

Couldn't have said it better myself. Same with topspin 1. They had the meat and potatoes set perfectly for that game. Great motions, great game speed. All they needed to fix was the superficial stuff: graphics, camera angles, updated roster, racquets, endorsements, etc. And a couple more difficulty levels (intermediates between hard and medium, and super hard, etc).

Seriously, what went wrong?

leonidas1982
02-24-2011, 01:33 PM
Couldn't have said it better myself. Same with topspin 1. They had the meat and potatoes set perfectly for that game. Great motions, great game speed. All they needed to fix was the superficial stuff: graphics, camera angles, updated roster, racquets, endorsements, etc. And a couple more difficulty levels (intermediates between hard and medium, and super hard, etc).

I have no idea what went wrong. All the new tennis games coming out seem to be going in the wrong direction: Virtua tennis 4 is now motion control, EA Tennis also wants motion control, and of course Top Spin is just a rushed inaccurate project.

Like you said, all Smash Court needed were the trinkets. All a game developer needs to do is just polish Smash Court 2 for a very exceptional game.

jamesblakefan#1
02-24-2011, 01:36 PM

Sometimes going from previous gen (PS2/Xbox) to this gen (PS3/360) is hard for developers to implement things in the way they were last gen and have the same outcome. Just look at Madden. Most Madden fans still say the game peaked in 05-06 and that the current product isn't as good as it was in the past.

Rock Strongo
02-24-2011, 01:38 PM

Money. All game manufacturers know that if a game looks good, they don't need to make it play well. Have you seen the FPS scene? Almost every FPS game seems to take place in some sort of Halo-like war or during WWII. one game plays as atrociously as the next but if they just make the graphics lifelike, they know that they'll sell millions. Same probably goes with these new tennis games. They focus on making a cross string as detailed as possible that they forget that Sampras' service motion is all wrong.

leonidas1982
02-24-2011, 01:53 PM
Money. All game manufacturers know that if a game looks good, they don't need to make it play well. Have you seen the FPS scene? Almost every FPS game seems to take place in some sort of Halo-like war or during WWII. one game plays as atrociously as the next but if they just make the graphics lifelike, they know that they'll sell millions. Same probably goes with these new tennis games. They focus on making a cross string as detailed as possible that they forget that Sampras' service motion is all wrong.

And then you tell them months before the game is released and they brush off your concerns, corrections, and critiques.

jamesblakefan#1
02-24-2011, 07:37 PM
This just in...career mode WILL have the option for 5 sets and 6 games per set.

http://www.operationsports.com/news/470433/top-spin-4-my-player-mode-gets-much-needed-addition/

However apparently you can't change your option once career mode starts. That means if you want to play best of 5, you have to do it for all events, even the smaller ones. :?

bezs
02-24-2011, 07:54 PM
Its gonna be a pain and time consuming playing 5 set matches when just starting out the career mode.

leonidas1982
02-24-2011, 07:55 PM
They've got only 3 styles of play.

Mansewerz
02-24-2011, 08:06 PM
And then you tell them months before the game is released and they brush off your concerns, corrections, and critiques.

Word

That's just sad and true. Sampras serve motion and other motions were down to a T in topspin 1.

Cooper_Tecnifibre4
02-24-2011, 09:34 PM
Still no Verdasco.......................................... ......

Cooper_Tecnifibre4
02-24-2011, 09:41 PM
And after watching all the gameplay videos......It still puzzles me why Virtua Tennis are they only people that can capture all of the pros signature motions!!

And all the movement still looks awkward, Similiar but not as bad as Top Spin 3.

Mansewerz
02-24-2011, 09:55 PM
^^That's the other thing. What's so hard about player motions?

And on top of that, which bright guy at 2K decided to make the players look very awkward in movement?

Also, anyone else have trouble in Topspin 3 with hitting inside out shots/running around your backhand or forehand to hit a forehand or backhand? I find it incredibly difficult since the players are so clunky and clumsy. Not graceful at all. And when you're lucky enough to do it, the forehand or backhand inside in or inside out is very weak and not worth the extra movement.

Cooper_Tecnifibre4
02-24-2011, 10:11 PM
Yes^ It still looks like all the players have a delay in reacting to the balls! So clunky and awkward. Infact Nadal's movements are the only 'fluid' looking strokes in this game. Federer looks like a robot that can't quite do 'The Robot'

Looks like I might still be playing VT 2009 this year.

jamesblakefan#1
02-25-2011, 09:13 AM
Murray/Agassi gameplay vid (25+ mins total)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jb4EKODeDIE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UVUh0KosXTI

Mansewerz
02-25-2011, 09:14 AM
Watchin it. JBF#1, you said topspin 3 is your favorite game. How can that be? It's motions, fluidity, and clunkiness along with the near impossibility or lack of realism in running around the backhand to hit a solid forehand put me off a lot.

Rock Strongo
02-25-2011, 09:24 AM
Murray/Agassi gameplay vid (13 mins long)

I don't want it. It's like watching one player against himself. Have you ever played the old FIFA games where you could play against the same team? It's the same thing, really.

Mansewerz
02-25-2011, 09:28 AM
My comment is the one asking "Why do Murray and Agassi have the same motions?"

Really 2k? You make a tennis game that will appeal mostly to tennis fans, and you think we're too dumb to tell the difference between Agassi and Murray's motions?

Mansewerz
02-25-2011, 09:34 AM
That said, game speed has picked up. Looks like they've made some good improvements to TS3, namely returns. You can actually hit forcing returns that aren't super slow :gasp:!

Rock Strongo
02-25-2011, 09:36 AM
My comment is the one asking "Why do Murray and Agassi have the same motions?"

Really 2k? You make a tennis game that will appeal mostly to tennis fans, and you think we're too dumb to tell the difference between Agassi and Murray's motions?

I posted a similar comment. It's absolutely despicable of 2K to even say that it's "realistic". We should mail 2K!

jamesblakefan#1
02-25-2011, 09:59 AM
Watchin it. JBF#1, you said topspin 3 is your favorite game. How can that be? It's motions, fluidity, and clunkiness along with the near impossibility or lack of realism in running around the backhand to hit a solid forehand put me off a lot.

I'll admit I had some frustrations w/ it, some of them the ones you mentioned, as well as the lack of depth in the career mode. But it still to me was once I figured it out, the most realistic tennis game I've played. I also liked SCT2 as a close 2nd.

That being said, I can see where your problems w/ the gameplay are coming from and somewhat agree w/ some of them.

Mansewerz
02-25-2011, 10:05 AM
This game does look like some fun to play though. Aesthetics aside, it seems they've fixed some major bugs. Hopefully that holds true.

Also, I like how the longest rally of the match stat came up on the side without me having to sit through the whole replay. I hope they do that with more stats. Topspin 3 did that, but put it in such an inconvenient place (right after a replay, in a short animated cutscene kind closeup deal) that I never watched it because I just wanted to play. Hopefully 2K does it right this time.

bezs
02-25-2011, 11:48 AM
So anybody getting it immediately once it comes out?

jamesblakefan#1
02-25-2011, 12:51 PM

Still on the fence. Will likely wait until the demo comes out to make a firm decision on when I'm getting it.

grimmbomb21
02-25-2011, 01:16 PM

Day one for me. But I also bought Agassi Tennis Generation. So yeah, day one.:)

leonidas1982
02-25-2011, 02:20 PM

I'm not based on 2K's false advertisement and lies.

Rock Strongo
02-26-2011, 01:51 PM
From a quick glance at the Legende trailer they seem to have gifted Becker with the same horrible standardized service motion as Sampras/Agassi/Murray.

flyinghippos101
02-26-2011, 08:49 PM
Very few early reviews to give an impression of what some people think. Strange considering how soon the release is and its status as a relative high-profile release. Most games that have gone gold maybe a month before have reviews popping up well before release.

Anyway, I'm definitely not picking up this game, at least not on release. I'm just so frustrated by 2K's decision to completely throw out the obvious "match the licensed players in-game style to their real life style" concept. What were they thinking?! And the craptacular single player career seems to be back with a few extra bells and whistles. Sorry, not worth $60, think I'll spend it on Shogun 2 Total War instead.

Immersion and realism really taking a back seat in this one, possibly outright thrown out the window during development methinks.

stay classy 2K.

salsainglesa
02-26-2011, 09:15 PM
It looks awful!

J_aces
02-26-2011, 09:26 PM
It does look pretty lame but Ill probably get it since I recently switched from Wii to Xbox and now I can play something other than that Grand Slam garbage. I will wait for it to be like 20 bucks though on ****

westside
02-26-2011, 09:48 PM
I'm still skeptical.

I wanna play the demo before buying it. Still think the first topspin was the better of all 3

jamesblakefan#1
02-26-2011, 10:53 PM
Very few early reviews to give an impression of what some people think. Strange considering how soon the release is and its status as a relative high-profile release. Most games that have gone gold maybe a month before have reviews popping up well before release.

What are these games you speak of that have reviews a month before they come out? Most if not all games are reviewed by most sites/magazines until a few days before they come out, sometimes reviews are done after the game is out, so I dunno what you're talking about, very rare for full reviews to be done on any game 3 weeks before it's released.

Maybe you mean previews, which there have been plenty of to help the consumer decide whether or not to buy, and a demo is expected soon as well. So it's not like they're hiding info, in fact they're going out of their way to release info, at least compared to the secrecy other games are treated with.

flyinghippos101
02-27-2011, 08:11 AM
What are these games you speak of that have reviews a month before they come out? Most if not all games are reviewed by most sites/magazines until a few days before they come out, sometimes reviews are done after the game is out, so I dunno what you're talking about, very rare for full reviews to be done on any game 3 weeks before it's released.

Maybe you mean previews, which there have been plenty of to help the consumer decide whether or not to buy, and a demo is expected soon as well. So it's not like they're hiding info, in fact they're going out of their way to release info, at least compared to the secrecy other games are treated with.

I recall the total war games on PC getting relatively early reviews, mainly from European magazines. And the release date for Shogun is about the same for the entire world. Even games like black ops and oblivion that went gold for some time before their release and were very high profile had a few reviews trickling from game magazines a few weeks prior to release.

bezs
02-27-2011, 09:30 PM
The demo is coming out, March 1.

http://blog.us.playstation.com/2011/02/27/the-drop-week-of-feb-28th-2011-new-releases/

Pidgeon
02-28-2011, 03:03 AM
I'll admit I had some frustrations w/ it, some of them the ones you mentioned, as well as the lack of depth in the career mode. But it still to me was once I figured it out, the most realistic tennis game I've played. I also liked SCT2 as a close 2nd.

That being said, I can see where your problems w/ the gameplay are coming from and somewhat agree w/ some of them.

truth !
topspin may play slow and stiff but it's the most realistic tennis game there is...
other games just makes you hit shots by pressing a button and when pressing it long enough makes the shot more powerful ...
arcade playstyle..
topspin actually mixes it up with timing your shots and controlling your serve by using the 2 joysticks etc

Born to play
02-28-2011, 03:30 AM
Any word on commentary?

YEs, I saw one in the this video
But the commentator just speaks in the beginning.
jb4EKODeDIE

Born to play
02-28-2011, 03:31 AM
My fault guys its

jamesblakefan#1
02-28-2011, 01:31 PM
Developer Diary w/ more in-depth career mode info.

http://www.facebook.com/notes/top-spin/developer-diary-5-my-career/205128686168928

leonidas1982
02-28-2011, 01:45 PM
This is not a full tennis season -- only one preparation and one tournament a month. Definitely not a deep career mode. Only 5 rounds in a slam = not authentic.

Smash Court 2, back in 2003, had rolling calender system with accurate gaining, defending, and losing points. They had a tournament every week. They had lead ups to the slams and Masters. Smash Court had a complete season; this offering from Top Spin 4 is almost insulting.

eidolonshinobi
02-28-2011, 02:14 PM
I miss Virtua Tennis on the dreamcast. Still probably my favorite tennis game.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dM3UkBJBt-4

grimmbomb21
02-28-2011, 03:20 PM
Awesome. Can't wait for the demo! If anyone else is getting this day one, please post your username if you want to play.

luke_1983uk
03-01-2011, 04:30 AM
just played the demo its on the xbox live market place right now, played about 6 tie breaks during my lunch and i have to say its back to its best!!!! really enjoyed it, felt really smooth and really like real tennis definently a day one buy for me!!!

xbox gamertag

southend united

bezs
03-01-2011, 04:42 AM
Someone uploaded gameplay from the demo.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EnZwhf7aneI&feature=youtu.be&a

Demo is not out for the PS3 yet though.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bEsdFN2MTKs At 1:06 you can do tweeners.

They added the grunts of the female players good think there's no Maria than. No Ajde! from Ana when she wins a point :lol:

jamesblakefan#1
03-01-2011, 08:23 AM
First impressions on the demo (after 2 TB, one Fed/Nadal, one Serena/Ivanovic) on hard difficulty.

-I cant serve! Seriously though, the timing of the serve is a lot different it seems from TS3, so I'm still getting used to that. Lost the first game w/ Serena against Ivanovic on a double fault. :oops:

-Shot timing is a bit different, but definitely seems like variety in shots is more pronounced.

-All the ingame helpers on screen is a bit of an annoyance, I turned most of them off b/c they got in the way

-Nadal destroyed me, definitely played very true to the real Nadal.

-Seeing guys sliding on clay is awesome, movement is definitely an important factor in this game.

-Overall frustrating but fun, definite buy for me.

Power Player
03-01-2011, 11:10 AM
JB#1...awesome..will grab the demo tonight and crush balls when I get home. this sounds fun..how is the feel of the game..meaning..is it addictive, with tight controls?

jamesblakefan#1
03-01-2011, 11:21 AM
JB#1...awesome..will grab the demo tonight and crush balls when I get home. this sounds fun..how is the feel of the game..meaning..is it addictive, with tight controls?

I played the demo a few more times, and it definitely feels good. The signature strokes aren't in for every stroke, which can lead to some awkward looking shots at times, but overall the feel and game speed is better than TS3.

Also I finally figured out serving, and I have to say that serving w/ the right stick when you time it right is great. You can definitely hit big serves and take control using the serve. Also had a great sequence where I was Fed against Nadal. Hit a serve out wide, FH to open court off the return, and was able to seamlessly come to the net to put away a volley.

Movement feels just overall better. Maybe the best movement of any tennis game I've played, I mean on clay it's beautiful how guys slide and maneuver to shots. Is it perfect, no. But definitely improved. I'd recommend keeping the timing helper on for shots, until you get a bit more used to it, but all the other helpers are unnecessary IMO.

Can't wait for March 15.

Power Player
03-01-2011, 12:07 PM
Hell I can't wait to caress the demo later tonight before crashing. sounds awesome. this game is all about online play and tournaments, so people whining about career modes need to crawl out of 2001 and get with the times.

leonidas1982
03-01-2011, 02:47 PM
Even Federer's serve is inaccurate. They gave him a pinpoint stance when he serves on the ad side.

Mansewerz
03-01-2011, 02:57 PM
Wow, way to **** up signature styles 2K. Still, I need to play it to see how it is.

Araxen
03-01-2011, 03:10 PM
Rosters are definitely disappointing. Why the heck is James Blake and Safina in this game but Kim Clijsters and Del Potro are not included? What a big mistake by 2k.

grimmbomb21
03-01-2011, 04:16 PM
Just played the game. I thought it was a major upgrade over TS3 as well. The addition of the inside out forehand by pulling the left trigger is awesome.

PeterPanda
03-01-2011, 04:16 PM
Rosters are definitely disappointing. Why the heck is James Blake and Safina in this game but Kim Clijsters and Del Potro are not included? What a big mistake by 2k.

I missed that kim is not in it. That's big when they put in Safina. I do understand del potro because his tennis carrer is going to the downlow.

Mansewerz
03-01-2011, 05:55 PM
Just played the game. I thought it was a major upgrade over TS3 as well. The addition of the inside out forehand by pulling the left trigger is awesome.

Very happy 2K decided to make this change. Well done.

Just played (enjoyed the demo) and kicked Rafa's *** on the first try. Wish they had more difficulty settings on the demo :). I guess all of that TS3 has helped

The Good:
-Topspin shots are actually, dare I say it, spinning? They are kicking up off the ground. It's really wonderful, especially on clay.
-I can make errors off the ground for bad timing, but not as many as TS3 (which is a bit off a turnoff, because this may be easier, but still, I have experience here, so who knows)
-Seemed more pick up and play friendly
-I could hit off the rise! *tear* It was great. I could definitely see this TS being more realistic, especially in Rafa-Fed matches where Fed will need to hit off the rise to do well
-Graphics were pretty good and player models looked better!
-Movement felt more natural and clunky
-Drop shots are way more natural and fun to hit, but still risky!

The bad:
-Though movement is less clunky, the gameplay is still a bit slow for my tastes. It could be a bit faster
-Still no commentary and still that same old announcer voice!
-Movement still didn't look world class tennis pro quality

The ugly:
-Looks like 2k did not try at all in getting motions correct. Federer has the same motion on serve as Murray and Agassi, and I think Sampras as well.
-Service motions in general look ugly and funky. 2K needs to look at Virtua Tennis 3 to get good service motions down.
-Hitting motions were not that great either. Federer's forehand does not look authentic, and Rafa's forehand is way, way overdone when it comes to the lasso whip buggy forehand.
-Setting up for shots did not look natural to me.

Overall, I give the demo a solid score, and I will most likely get this game. But, I hope 2K does something about player motions, through some sort of patch or update.

grimmbomb21
03-01-2011, 06:27 PM
Very happy 2K decided to make this change. Well done.

Just played (enjoyed the demo) and kicked Rafa's *** on the first try. Wish they had more difficulty settings on the demo :). I guess all of that TS3 has helped

The Good:
-Topspin shots are actually, dare I say it, spinning? They are kicking up off the ground. It's really wonderful, especially on clay.
-I can make errors off the ground for bad timing, but not as many as TS3 (which is a bit off a turnoff, because this may be easier, but still, I have experience here, so who knows)
-Seemed more pick up and play friendly
-I could hit off the rise! *tear* It was great. I could definitely see this TS being more realistic, especially in Rafa-Fed matches where Fed will need to hit off the rise to do well
-Graphics were pretty good and player models looked better!
-Movement felt more natural and clunky
-Drop shots are way more natural and fun to hit, but still risky!

The bad:
-Though movement is less clunky, the gameplay is still a bit slow for my tastes. It could be a bit faster
-Still no commentary and still that same old announcer voice!
-Movement still didn't look world class tennis pro quality

The ugly:
-Looks like 2k did not try at all in getting motions correct. Federer has the same motion on serve as Murray and Agassi, and I think Sampras as well.
-Service motions in general look ugly and funky. 2K needs to look at Virtua Tennis 3 to get good service motions down.
-Hitting motions were not that great either. Federer's forehand does not look authentic, and Rafa's forehand is way, way overdone when it comes to the lasso whip buggy forehand.
-Setting up for shots did not look natural to me.

Overall, I give the demo a solid score, and I will most likely get this game. But, I hope 2K does something about player motions, through some sort of patch or update.

After you select your players, you can select the difficulty on the next screen.

Timbo's hopeless slice
03-01-2011, 06:45 PM
hmm

used to enjoy virtua tennis on the Wii, but it was hard on your game irl!

Did Eugenie Bouchard end up in the game? I saw her play a few weeks ago at a challenger in the middel of nowhere and she was great! (won the thing, despite being the youngest player in the draw)

Mansewerz
03-01-2011, 08:04 PM
After you select your players, you can select the difficulty on the next screen.

Huh? Where at? I must've missed it.

grimmbomb21
03-01-2011, 08:23 PM
Huh? Where at? I must've missed it.

I did too the first few times. After you select the players, it show a picture of each player over a tennis court. The top player has "Normal" next to the photo. Just move it to hard difficulty, which was way more fun.:)

grimmbomb21
03-01-2011, 08:24 PM
hmm

used to enjoy virtua tennis on the Wii, but it was hard on your game irl!

Did Eugenie Bouchard end up in the game? I saw her play a few weeks ago at a challenger in the middel of nowhere and she was great! (won the thing, despite being the youngest player in the draw)

Yep. She is in.

Cooper_Tecnifibre4
03-01-2011, 10:12 PM
My fault guys its

Is it just me or do they seem to just be just slapping the ball in these rallys.

And I am not to keen on the weird power bars under the opponents.

Oh and stock racquets :(

jamesblakefan#1
03-01-2011, 10:25 PM
Is it just me or do they seem to just be just slapping the ball in these rallys.

And I am not to keen on the weird power bars under the opponents.

Oh and stock racquets :(

Those are stamina bars, you can turn them off under options BTW, or just set them to show up only before serve.

quest01
03-02-2011, 08:38 AM
I downloaded the demo for the 360, it seemed pretty cool.

bezs
03-02-2011, 10:15 AM
Enjoying it so far, the sliding on clay animation is nice.

So the vintage Agassi is only in the game if you pre-order from Gamestop?

Power Player
03-02-2011, 10:32 AM
I like the game so far, but I still do not know half the secrets. Any tips? It is tough to learn when you can just play a tie break. I am trying to the right stick serve, it goes in, but not very fast yet. I did figure out Right button is needed for turbo and that is about where I am at.

Also tough to hit winners with topspin..almost seems like you should just hit flat all the time.

Mansewerz
03-02-2011, 12:11 PM
Anyone else notice Rafa grunts like a girl!

Rock Strongo
03-02-2011, 12:47 PM
Federer's Ad-court serve is similar to the standardized motions of Sampras, Murray et al. Did anyone notice that the Nadal service motion is the 2008 one? I'm not impressed and will stick to Mario Tennis on the N64.

leonidas1982
03-02-2011, 12:49 PM
Federer's Ad-court serve is similar to the standardized motions of Sampras, Murray et al. Did anyone notice that the Nadal service motion is the 2008 one? I'm not impressed and will stick to Mario Tennis on the N64.

It's very odd. It seems they went out of their way to ruin everybody's strokes. And yet they are claiming "signature" strokes.

jamesblakefan#1
03-02-2011, 12:53 PM
I like the game so far, but I still do not know half the secrets. Any tips? It is tough to learn when you can just play a tie break. I am trying to the right stick serve, it goes in, but not very fast yet. I did figure out Right button is needed for turbo and that is about where I am at.

Also tough to hit winners with topspin..almost seems like you should just hit flat all the time.

With the right stick, you have to push up just when the ball reaches the top of the toss, to hit big serves. With Federer I'm pretty automatic at getting big serves in.

As for topspin, I've played w/ Nadal the past few times and been dominating w/ topspin FH to the Fed BH. :twisted: You really have to mix your shots though, can't rely too much on one shot over another in my view.

Power Player
03-02-2011, 01:19 PM
With the right stick, you have to push up just when the ball reaches the top of the toss, to hit big serves. With Federer I'm pretty automatic at getting big serves in.

As for topspin, I've played w/ Nadal the past few times and been dominating w/ topspin FH to the Fed BH. :twisted: You really have to mix your shots though, can't rely too much on one shot over another in my view.

Do you hold the Left trigger for that inside out stroke?

rdis10093
03-02-2011, 01:26 PM
downloaded demo, it looks sweet, better than t3, but strokes sometimes still look odd

PeterPanda
03-02-2011, 03:06 PM
do you guys know an secret codes for top spin 3?

jamesblakefan#1
03-02-2011, 04:19 PM
Do you hold the Left trigger for that inside out stroke?

Yeah, but it doesn't work for every shot, you have to be in the right positioning to be prepared to hit it inside out.

Trick Shot
03-02-2011, 05:22 PM
I'll be getting this on release day for the 360, so if anybody wants to play just let me know. My gamertag is x The Djoker x.

Cooper_Tecnifibre4
03-02-2011, 09:26 PM
Virtua Tennis 4 anyone? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9ypn90BI08

At least they can somewhat get there 'signature" strokes correct.

jamesblakefan#1
03-02-2011, 10:20 PM
Virtua Tennis 4 anyone? http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9ypn90BI08

At least they can somewhat get there 'signature" strokes correct.

I know VT is arcade but as long as they still have players doing diving volleys on routine shots (which from the vids I've seen they do) its a no-go. Also VT 4 is catered towards motion control.

http://ps3.ign.com/articles/114/1148547p1.html

Hot Sauce
03-03-2011, 01:15 AM
Demo is out. Presentation is nice and the gameplay is a bit improved, but it still feels very similar to the last one. I hate how they don't let you do rematches so you have to go through the game menu and the slideshow if you want to play again.

westside
03-03-2011, 05:03 AM
I played the demo just then and was pleasantly surprised. Player movement was a bit slow, but otherwise better than TS3. I may actually buy this on release :S

Power Player
03-03-2011, 05:44 AM
Demo is out. Presentation is nice and the gameplay is a bit improved, but it still feels very similar to the last one. I hate how they don't let you do rematches so you have to go through the game menu and the slideshow if you want to play again.

I exit to the main menu and restart..seems to save time.

I am getting the timing down, but I am still not that good yet. I think going through the training mode can remedy that once the game comes out. I am definitley hitting serves better with the right stick, but I know there is more to it then just straight up and down with the right stick like I am doing. I am sure you can put more angles and spin on it.

JackB1
03-03-2011, 06:01 AM

I am getting the timing down, but I am still not that good yet. I think going through the training mode can remedy that once the game comes out. I am definitley hitting serves better with the right stick, but I know there is more to it then just straight up and down with the right stick like I am doing. I am sure you can put more angles and spin on it.

Tried the demo last night and it was pretty good. Not the huge upgrade over TS3 I was expecting, but nice nontheless. Normal difficulty is too easy. Hard was a good challenge, but I am worried once I get the hang of the game, there is no place to go after "hard". Some of the flatter "zoom" camera angles make you feel like you are really playing, but they make it harder to judge depth.

Hey PP, we have to play over XBL when the game comes out!! Maybe we can form a little league here with TW Forum players? Would be fun!

Power Player
03-03-2011, 06:02 AM
Jack that sounds awesome especially since we can create our own players. Mark me down for that.

bezs
03-03-2011, 08:35 AM
Hey PP, we have to play over XBL when the game comes out!! Maybe we can form a little league here with TW Forum players? Would be fun!

That would be fun, but i'm on a PS3 though. :(

From what i've read the developers continued working on the game after the demo was done so they might be one or two improvements from the demo.

SFrazeur
03-03-2011, 08:38 AM
That would be fun, but i'm on a PS3 though. :(

So am I. I would be in on a PS3 league.

-SF

jamesblakefan#1
03-03-2011, 08:43 AM

Yeah I tried a bit variations yesterday, like to slice you pull down and spin up instead of going straight up (not sure how to explain it), but yeah I'm sure once the game comes out there will be more in depth tutorials.

Tried the demo last night and it was pretty good. Not the huge upgrade over TS3 I was expecting, but nice nontheless. Normal difficulty is too easy. Hard was a good challenge, but I am worried once I get the hang of the game, there is no place to go after "hard". Some of the flatter "zoom" camera angles make you feel like you are really playing, but they make it harder to judge depth.

One of the 2K spokesmen has said that there will be higher difficulties than hard when the game comes out. I know TS3 had very hard, which is what I played on.

http://twitter.com/Ronnie2K/status/43000017316880386

bezs
03-03-2011, 08:45 AM
I had a mini Isner - Mahut match yesterday, used Ivanovic to beat Serena 13-11.

Seeing as how the adidas sponsored players have updated outfits of this season wish they had the same for the Nike sponsored outfits. Was skimming through the venues no Doha and Dubai?

jamesblakefan#1
03-03-2011, 02:29 PM
Developer diary about the online World Tour mode.

http://www.facebook.com/notes/top-spin/developer-diary-6-world-tour-mode-online/205871069428023

The Wreck
03-03-2011, 02:54 PM
I didn't think the demo was all that great. I could hit too late or too early shots almost every time and still hit winners....

Movements also felt jerky and forced and weird. Idk....I may still buy it just to have a tennis game, but Im not blown away.

SStrikerR
03-03-2011, 04:37 PM
I didn't think the demo was all that great. I could hit too late or too early shots almost every time and still hit winners....

Movements also felt jerky and forced and weird. Idk....I may still buy it just to have a tennis game, but Im not blown away.

Were you playing on hard? Because there, I very rarely hit winners without good or perfect shots. I also didn't like the movement that bad, but it's only a demo, and I like the gameplay regardless. Seems like more of an in-depth and challenging game than VT3 was, so I'm buying it.

Mansewerz
03-05-2011, 09:19 AM
I just played TS4 against TS3, and wow, it's striking how much better TS4 is. Movement is loads better, the game speed is much better. Serves are much better. Realism is much better, and the crowd is on a different level. Yes, TS4 still has it's quirks: players are sometimes slow to react, but nowhere near as unresponsive as TS3.

And, the game feels more like real tennis. In TS3, you couldn't hit off the rise. When you play Nadal, all he does is go forehand to backhand all day (well, forehand crosscourt), even if you are David Nalbandian. In TS4, Rafa plays more like Rafa.

And when I played against Roger with Rafa, Roger played like Roger. He pressed. When he hit it deep, I had to wrist flick it up, and even then it was short, a ball that Roger could attack.

Much, much better game, at least from my initial playing.

JackB1
03-05-2011, 09:32 AM
Yeah I tried a bit variations yesterday, like to slice you pull down and spin up instead of going straight up (not sure how to explain it), but yeah I'm sure once the game comes out there will be more in depth tutorials.

One of the 2K spokesmen has said that there will be higher difficulties than hard when the game comes out. I know TS3 had very hard, which is what I played on.

http://twitter.com/Ronnie2K/status/43000017316880386

that's good to hear!

PSNELKE
03-05-2011, 10:46 AM
Just played the demo, movement is shiit but the gameplan is really nice.

PeterPanda
03-05-2011, 11:44 AM
I still wouldlike a error system and more ...more players.

Meriko
03-05-2011, 11:49 AM
I played the demo on XBL and was pleasantly surprised. Better in every way over TS3. Still not to sure I'm going to buy it; I'll have to wait to see how Virtua Tennis 4 plays. Oh, and by the way, if I do buy TS4, I'd definately be up for a a Talk Tennis league :)

PSNELKE
03-05-2011, 01:11 PM
I played the demo on XBL and was pleasantly surprised. Better in every way over TS3. Still not to sure I'm going to buy it; I'll have to wait to see how Virtua Tennis 4 plays. Oh, and by the way, if I do buy TS4, I'd definately be up for a a Talk Tennis league :)

Buy it mate, VT is shiit they just can´t let out the stupid diving, that´s ridiculous.

That would be a great idea to play TT league, I would be in it.

PSNELKE
03-05-2011, 01:15 PM
HAHAH LOL especially the girls sound ridiculous.
Like a siren.

Larrysümmers
03-05-2011, 01:22 PM
this thread makes me want to invest into a gaming system

Sherlock
03-05-2011, 09:00 PM
Well I'm a big fan of the game. I feel it's a major improvement over TS3. I feel like the movement is as close to what real tennis movement is like as I've ever seen in a game. I was considering not being the game since it lacked 4 console doubles, but after playing the demo I am definitely buying it on release day.

By the way, any of you guys know about ITST? They have a nice league already set up with a tour that follows the pro tours exactly.

jamesblakefan#1
03-05-2011, 09:35 PM
Well I preordered it. Will have it on release day through Amazon. BTW if you order it on Amazon they are offering a $20 credit for future purchases.

http://www.amazon.com/Top-Spin-4-Xbox-360/dp/B0043QL2FE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1299001235&sr=8-2

If you guys want to try and get a league going, or just want to play in general add me on XBL. My GT: dsavbeast012

ChiefAce
03-06-2011, 07:37 AM
I've played ITST before, it's very competitive and also fun, but the players there are typically very good. I'd be interested in playing some Topspin 4 against people here on XBLA.

flyinghippos101
03-06-2011, 07:37 AM
Just took the time to download it, I'm definitely buying this one on release. Game speed has picked up dramatically and finally my character doesn't feel like a lumbering tank anymore. Volleys are easier to do and you can actually do drop volleys now.

Running around shots was hard, very hard to do in Top Spin 3 and the negatives outweighed the positives. You could never have enough pace or spin behind it with the Top Spin timing system so you'd have the entire court exposed. Running around in TS 4 is very much streamlined and now actually has a purpose.

I'm down for the TT league when the game releases

GT: flyinghippos101

Trick Shot
03-06-2011, 08:56 AM
I've been playing the demo some and it's definately a major improvement over TS3. The only issues I have had so far are how easy it is (I played as Nadal against Federer last night, on hard and won 7-0), the player animations seem even worse, and volleys still seem very difficult, although they are much easier than TS3. I'll definately pick this game up on release, how can I go wrong with a game that comes out on my birthday:).

I've also played ITST before, and will probably play some tournaments in TS4. The guys who play it are really good though, they beat me pretty badly, not that that's saying much lol, but they are all very nice guys. I'd definately be interested in a TT league, would we use customs players or pros?

JackB1
03-06-2011, 09:01 AM
I've been playing the demo some and it's definately a major improvement over TS3. The only issues I have had so far are how easy it is (I played as Nadal against Federer last night, on hard and won 7-0), the player animations seem even worse, and volleys still seem very difficult, although they are much easier than TS3. I'll definately pick this game up on release, how can I go wrong with a game that comes out on my birthday:).

I've also played ITST before, and will probably play some tournaments in TS4. The guys who play it are really good though, they beat me pretty badly, not that that's saying much lol, but they are all very nice guys. I'd definately be interested in a TT league, would we use customs players or pros?

I think it would be more Interesting if we used created players that we tried to model after our real life tennis selves. We could put out some guidelines for abilities and such so they we are on equal terms.

Mansewerz
03-06-2011, 09:18 AM
ITST=?

I'm missing something here.

bezs
03-06-2011, 09:33 AM
http://www.intertopspintour.net/?p=home&pf=xbpc&gc=XBPC

Trick Shot
03-06-2011, 09:33 AM
I think it would be more Interesting if we used created players that we tried to model after our real life tennis selves. We could put out some guidelines for abilities and such so they we are on equal terms.

Sounds fun, definately count me in. GT: x The Djoker x

Mansewerz, ITST is the International Top Spin Tour. It is a tour of a couple hundred guys and they follow the atp and wta schedules, with tournaments online. They also keep their own ranking system and write articles covering matches. It's all free and very easy to sign up for, all you need is a custom character fitting the guidelines they give. If you want any more information here is their website; www.intertopspintour.net.

PeterPanda
03-06-2011, 09:37 AM
Well I preordered it. Will have it on release day through Amazon. BTW if you order it on Amazon they are offering a $20 credit for future purchases.

http://www.amazon.com/Top-Spin-4-Xbox-360/dp/B0043QL2FE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1299001235&sr=8-2

If you guys want to try and get a league going, or just want to play in general add me on XBL. My GT: dsavbeast012

It's only $10 for wii.

Larrysümmers
03-06-2011, 09:39 AM
there should be missed calls and a challenge system to add to the real life-ness of pro tennis.

JackB1
03-07-2011, 06:11 AM
Anyone interested in a TS4 League for 360 users, sign up here:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=5469265#post5469265

djarvik
03-07-2011, 12:29 PM
Great to hear that there is interest in Top Spin 4 in TT.

I think this is shaping up to be the best Top Spin yet. I love the idea of Coaches, this provides a great layer of strategy and will give another way to separate yourself from the rest, to form your own unique self.

And ITST is the real deal! Top notch place with great people behind and great, loyal, devoted member base.

Power Player
03-07-2011, 12:53 PM
I may do this ITST thing..it sounds like they keep you from dealing with cheesers, which is the ruination of online sports gaming. Only issue is scheduling matches can be tricky, as the last thing I want to be doing is setting up an online video game match....but if they have tournies which you can get in on if you are online..then I'm all over it.

Power Player
03-08-2011, 06:26 PM
Ok the game really shines on hard. It is incredible. Before that it felt a little slow and clunky, but hard is just addictive.

Anyone have Federer hit the tweener on them? He came to the net and I lobbed him..he ran and pulled off the tweener, but I crushed it into the corner for a winner. It was pretty incredible..took the game up to must buy status for me.

flyinghippos101
03-08-2011, 07:25 PM
Ok the game really shines on hard. It is incredible. Before that it felt a little slow and clunky, but hard is just addictive.

Anyone have Federer hit the tweener on them? He came to the net and I lobbed him..he ran and pulled off the tweener, but I crushed it into the corner for a winner. It was pretty incredible..took the game up to must buy status for me.

Haven't pulled off a tweener yet, AI doesn't seemed too inclined to go for lobs when you're at the net. I played a marathon 28-26 match as Fed against Nadal at the French Open. The demo's feeling stale at this point, good thing the game comes out on tuesday. I feel I've figured out the AI on hard at least. But looking forward to very hard and the online mode

Power Player
03-08-2011, 08:05 PM
Secret seems to be tapping the button and not holding it down. Instead you want to hold the stick in the proper direction early as you can. Also seems to be best to hit flat shots on short angles too. I can beat hard 7-2 doing this as nadal.

JackB1
03-09-2011, 05:48 AM

There seems to be a large jump between "hard" and "normal".

It's really annoying how short the demo play time is. One set would have been nice. A tiebreaker is ridiculous.

JackB1
03-09-2011, 05:48 AM
Anyone interested in a TS4 League for 360 users, sign up here:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?p=5469265#post5469265

JackB1
03-09-2011, 06:13 AM
Does anyone else still think "Full Ace Tennis" for the PC does everything better than TS4?

Power Player
03-09-2011, 06:29 AM
It's a PC game so that is an instant fail for me. I'd rather play TS4 with a much larger fan base and large online matchmaking system.

The leap to hard is the way to go. The game is slow on normal, and from they are saying, normal is not even going to be the default..there will be 2 more levels that are tougher in the real version.

Once I switched to hard, the game became fun for me and was a lot closer to real tennis. Takes some time, but I started working over the computer in a few matches and winning 7-1, 7-2..the rallies are epic as well.

JackB1
03-09-2011, 07:07 AM
It's a PC game so that is an instant fail for me. I'd rather play TS4 with a much larger fan base and large online matchmaking system.

XBL is great and all but for single player only, you can't beat Full Ace.

Power Player
03-09-2011, 07:25 AM
True..I just don't play single player..never really got into it. I like to play other people pretty much exclusively. Especially in a tennis game, once you figure out the AI it gets boring.

1st Seed
03-09-2011, 07:55 AM
anyone know if you can hit the ball after you've swung and missed?Ts3 was a no go there.If there is an chance to hit it you should be aloud.Thanks keep posting feedback boys thanks

jamesblakefan#1
03-12-2011, 10:54 AM
Just playing the demo, swear I heard Rafa do a 'Vamos' after I hit an UE. Maybe I'm imagining things...:lol:

This game is gonna be awesome.

bezs
03-12-2011, 11:16 AM
Seeing there's a Xbox league in the works, anybody getting it on the PS3?

rovex
03-12-2011, 11:27 AM
Just playing the demo, swear I heard Rafa do a 'Vamos' after I hit an UE. Maybe I'm imagining things...:lol:

This game is gonna be awesome.

Consider yourself lucky, Rafa did his ole lawnmower on me after a 28 shot rally ended by me hitting a forehand wide. :???:

PeterPanda
03-13-2011, 08:56 AM
Anybody be interested in a wii league?

txtennis
03-13-2011, 01:49 PM
Seeing there's a Xbox league in the works, anybody getting it on the PS3?

Count me in for a PS3 league. I've got mine on pre-order from Amazon.

rainingaces
03-13-2011, 01:58 PM
Anybody be interested in a wii league?

I can wii for 20 minutes non-stop! Beat that.