PDA

View Full Version : ESPN 2011 Aussie Open Coverage so far.......

InsideIn
01-18-2011, 06:59 PM
It's been actually pretty good so far, they've shown Fish/Robredo, Berdych, Verdasco/Tipsarevic,

Normally they suck, and I'm sure they will soon, but first 3 days have been good, must say, and fact that Carillo is not on, they get a +3....

Keeping Cahill and Fowler, -3, so they're square at 0 :)

fundrazer
01-18-2011, 07:07 PM
Cahill is excellent and Fowler is fine. My only real gripe with their coverage so far is that they still stick with blowout matches when other more interesting ones are going on. Oh and the interviews while matches are going on, the rafa one lasted like 20 minutes and they didn't start showing another match till the last few minutes of the interview.

aenri86
01-18-2011, 07:39 PM
good except for the fact that Verdasco and Tipsarevic are slugging it out over at Hisense arena and they keep going back to Venus "ugly dress" Williams

aenri86
01-18-2011, 07:43 PM
my bad margaret court!

bluetrain4
01-18-2011, 08:49 PM
ESPN2 has been better than usual. Between ESPN2, ESPN3 (online) and Tennis Channel, the coverage has been fantastic. I've been a bit overwhelmed. Of course you have to have ESPN2, ESPN3, and Tennis Channel, which costs a lot.

zak425
01-18-2011, 11:06 PM
ESPN2 has been better than usual. Between ESPN2, ESPN3 (online) and Tennis Channel, the coverage has been fantastic. I've been a bit overwhelmed. Of course you have to have ESPN2, ESPN3, and Tennis Channel, which costs a lot.

Depends what cable you have. I have comcast so ESPN 3 is free and the tennis channel is only $7 a month

MichaelNadal
01-18-2011, 11:20 PM

Im impressed with the coverage too. Seems like they actually care.

BreakPoint
01-19-2011, 12:07 AM
good except for the fact that Verdasco and Tipsarevic are slugging it out over at Hisense arena and they keep going back to Venus "ugly dress" Williams
Yeah, the other night I was watching a very exciting and close match between Henin and Mirza and it was 6-5 in the first set, then all of a sudden ESPN2 goes away from the match and decides to show an interview with Venus instead! Can you believe it? After investing so much time watching the match and then when it gets down to the most exciting part and business end of the match, they stop showing it to show some dumb interview with Venus instead. :mad: When they come back, Henin had lost the 1st set 7-5 (she got broken), which was a surprise as I expected them to go to a tiebreak, and it was already 1-0 in the 2nd set. And I didn't get to see any of it. :(

forzamilan90
01-19-2011, 12:27 AM
in between ESPN2 and ESPN3 i've watched every match i desired to watch, and yeah commentators (brad gilbert aside) have been very pleasant

mikeler
01-19-2011, 05:00 AM
Get DirecTV and watch 5 matches at once. Click on any of the 5 matches to bring up the full screen view of the match. They show regular ESPN as the 6th feed and duplicate it on another feed but without the commercials. It's awesome.

tennisaddict
01-19-2011, 06:21 AM
Anyone knows why Johny Mac is not there as part of the ESPN crew for AO 2011 ?

bluetrain4
01-19-2011, 06:26 AM
Depends what cable you have. I have comcast so ESPN 3 is free and the tennis channel is only $7 a month

Yeah, I have Comcast also. But, ESPN3 is only "free" if you've paid for cable. And, while my sports package that includes tennis channel is only around $9, the fact is it's an add-on. I can't have that package without paying for a base package first. And, it's the base cable-internet package that is pricey.

Bhagi Katbamna
01-19-2011, 06:28 AM
The reason that ESPN2 seems good is that Serena is not there. Otherwise it would be her or Venus on the coverage.

cknobman
01-19-2011, 07:08 AM
The reason that ESPN2 seems good is that Serena is not there. Otherwise it would be her or Venus on the coverage.

Yeah gotta agree with you there.

Herdsman76
01-19-2011, 07:18 AM

Although I have nothing aginst Serena and Venus, I usually would rather watch anybody else play. But I'm also like that when Nadal and Federer play. Mainly because their matches aren't always that much fun to watch.

As for the coverage, I'm loving it all. Tennis Channel has seemed to go to where the excitement is. ESPN 2 has been pretty good as well. If I were on vacation, I'd definitely be a night owl to catch as much of the action as possible...

sillymonkey
01-19-2011, 08:07 AM

True, but I gotta say it hasn't been bad overall. I don't get TTC anymore so it's espn or a live feed. The 19 hour time diff works good for us on the left coast.

BreakPoint
01-19-2011, 04:06 PM
Anyone knows why Johny Mac is not there as part of the ESPN crew for AO 2011 ?
Johnny Mac has never been part of the ESPN crew for the Aus Open. The first time he covered a match for ESPN was at the US Open last year and that's only because he lost his gig with USA Network when the US Open moved from USA to ESPN.

BreakPoint
01-19-2011, 04:09 PM
Yeah, I have Comcast also. But, ESPN3 is only "free" if you've paid for cable. And, while my sports package that includes tennis channel is only around $9, the fact is it's an add-on. I can't have that package without paying for a base package first. And, it's the base cable-internet package that is pricey.
How does the ESPN3 website know what kind of TV service you have? :confused:

I have Comcast only for TV service and not for Internet service and I still get ESPN3 for free. I'm pretty sure my ISP doesn't know what kind of service I use for TV.

Tyrus
01-19-2011, 04:37 PM
Get DirecTV and watch 5 matches at once. Click on any of the 5 matches to bring up the full screen view of the match. They show regular ESPN as the 6th feed and duplicate it on another feed but without the commercials. It's awesome.

Don't just watch TV, DirecTV.

Its been a tennis insomniac's heaven.

Screw sleep. Its the first week of the first slam of the year.

even saw some early round doubles...yes, doubles.

Lovin it!

skip1969
01-19-2011, 04:43 PM
i seem to be watching a lot more matches on the espn3 online stream than on actual espn. i get the benefit of watching the match i want with no cutaways to other courts, no interviews, etc. and no commercials. oh . . . and no brad gilbert, pam shriver, and chris fowler.

heaven!

coyfish
01-19-2011, 05:21 PM
anyone know a good spot to live stream ? Espn360 doesn't work for me unfortunately.

Seany
01-19-2011, 05:52 PM
It has been pretty good I must say, but I just hate Cliff Drysdale, he is an arrogant creep, and seems to "bully" other commentators into agreeing with him, I think the rest of the crew don't particularly like him.

Gilbert, Cahill, Fowler and Enberg are great.

Richards19
01-19-2011, 07:15 PM
It's good since the tournament has started. Obviously, without Serena and Mary Carillo, that helps a lot.

But what I'm disappointing is when they showing the studio (no matter if it's an interview, predictions, expert commentary). I want to see the action on the courts!!! I don't want to see the face of Chris Fowler or Darren Cahill...

Tsonga#1fan
01-19-2011, 09:13 PM
Honestly IMO the coverage has seemed quite good so far. Excellent choices of match coverage and even though there are way too many ****-break/beer run opportunities (any WTA match) I find even that so much more tolerable without "big-babe/blow-hard/loud-mouth" Mary Carrillo!!

zak425
01-19-2011, 09:25 PM
Man tennis fans seem to complain more than most. The coverage has been pretty good, they of course can't please everyone. If you want to see a match watch it online for christ sakes

Tsonga#1fan
01-19-2011, 09:36 PM
Man sports fans in general "*****" more LOL but honestly aren't "we" the more important voice to be heard? I don't think beer commercials and such are geared toward the female small percentage of viewership, and as for the overall state of tennis, can anyone imagine a reason to be excited about.......who?........exactly, people cant name women's players except for a handful

zak425
01-19-2011, 09:42 PM
"Man" was not meant to be a gender statement, rather it was meant more like "man you complain a lot". Had I meant "man" as in the male gender I would have used the grammatically correct "men" or "male"

Tsonga#1fan
01-19-2011, 09:58 PM
"Man" was not meant to be a gender statement, rather it was meant more like "man you complain a lot". Had I meant "man" as in the male gender I would have used the grammatically correct "men" or "male"

Well then, you must be deserving of some sort of an award, for "political" correctness perhaps!

bluetrain4
01-19-2011, 10:04 PM
How does the ESPN3 website know what kind of TV service you have? :confused:

I have Comcast only for TV service and not for Internet service and I still get ESPN3 for free. I'm pretty sure my ISP doesn't know what kind of service I use for TV.

I don't know. I read upthread that if you are a Comcast internet subscriber, your ISP address will indicate that and you get ESPN3 for free. Obviously, you're getting it for free because you are a Comcast cable subscriber, but I don't know how you are recognized. I just know that not everyone gets ESPN3 and it is based on cable and/or internet subscriptions.