PDA

View Full Version : Venus Williams' fashion

backhander
01-18-2011, 07:49 PM
I am sorry, I know this is probably just my opinion, but Venus William's outfits are the most hideous pieces of crap I've seen. I know she designs them herself, and I applaud her for taking interests outside of tennis, ie creating her own company, but it's incredible how her success in tennis has blinded her on what is proper tennis attire.

Does she really think what she is wearing (here at aussie and all her previous outfits) are nice, they are so ugly, and not flattering to her at all. Shows what you can get away with when you are successful.

BTW, I like Venus much better than her sister, I think she is much more mature and gracious, but I just can't stand her outfits.

bezs
01-18-2011, 07:51 PM
Beauty is in the eye of the holder, one man's treasure is another man's treasure.

In this case its Venus's treasure. :twisted:

cc0509
01-18-2011, 07:54 PM
Ha, ha. I knew somebody was going to post something about Venus' dress!

Well, it is not my cup of tea, but each to their own I guess. It is different I will give her that!

zak425
01-18-2011, 07:56 PM
See my post here:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=364468

Spin Doctor
01-18-2011, 07:58 PM
Her outfits are tacky, sometimes borderline sleazy. But this Oz dress is a lot better than that black lingerie fiasco and those skin-colored underpants she wore last year. If her Oz dress was just a bit longer it would look okay. Its good to see some different designs out there but she just doesn't pull it off.

I like Venus but her outfits make me question her self-awareness. Its like she's completely oblivious to the perception of her outfits. Maybe everyone who works for her too afraid to question her judgment.

ronalditop
01-18-2011, 08:02 PM
She just need to show a lot of skin to draw attention to her, because she isnt good looking and her game is fugly.

pabletion
01-18-2011, 08:05 PM
have fun with those tanlines you silly, fashion-handicapped woman!

rommil
01-18-2011, 08:14 PM
As long as she stays biting distance away from Serena or Nalbandian. That yellow crisscross dress makes her look like a pie or pastry.

zak425
01-18-2011, 08:20 PM
And now the pie is broken!

drakulie
01-18-2011, 08:23 PM
I just hope she loses so we don't have to see any of her matches over and over and over and over.

Oh, and her clothing line scares fright, it is so ugly.

That is all.

carry on.

rommil
01-18-2011, 08:26 PM
I just hope she loses so we don't have to see any of her matches over and over and over and over.

That is all.

carry on.

Have you been watching Devil Wears Prada or Project Runway/ Tim Gunn?

drakulie
01-18-2011, 08:28 PM
no. why?????

rommil
01-18-2011, 08:33 PM
no. why?????

That is all and carry on are widely used in these fashion related shows. Thought panterka's making you watch :)

meltphace 6
01-18-2011, 08:33 PM
Linzer Torte:

http://www.kochatelier.de/images_food/linzer_torte.jpg

mctennis
01-18-2011, 08:35 PM
When you are a celeb you can get by with a lot of things. Look at the stupid children books some of the movie stars have had published. If they were submitted by an unknown writer they'd be sent a rejection letter every time. Same thing with the Williams sisters fashion outfits. How many other club players are wearing this junk? How about their other outfits? Have you seen anyone else wearing them? NOPE!!
Then look at the name of their fashion company. Their name spelled backwards, wow, who else did that? Doprah did.

FuriousYellow
01-18-2011, 08:36 PM
Linzer Torte:

http://www.kochatelier.de/images_food/linzer_torte.jpg

:lol: I had a similar first thought on seeing her dress. Although my thought was a simple pie crust.

nikdom
01-18-2011, 08:39 PM
Her outfits are tacky, sometimes borderline sleazy. But this Oz dress is a lot better than that black lingerie fiasco and those skin-colored underpants she wore last year. If her Oz dress was just a bit longer it would look okay. Its good to see some different designs out there but she just doesn't pull it off.

I like Venus but her outfits make me question her self-awareness. Its like she's completely oblivious to the perception of her outfits. Maybe everyone who works for her too afraid to question her judgment.

The Williams sisters must feel upstaged in their own country by a blonde Russian. I think their choice in clothes tends to be risque as a way of thumbing their nose at the establishment

Spin Doctor
01-18-2011, 09:09 PM
Ugh, just caught sight of this yellow dress. Awful. That blue dress was a lot better. She needs to leave the designing to real designers.

Then look at the name of their fashion company. Their name spelled backwards, wow, who else did that? Doprah did.

Only Venus has her own company and I thought it was named Eleven? Which isn't her name spelled backwards. I think Serena is still with Nike.

cc0509
01-18-2011, 09:17 PM
Ugh, just caught sight of this yellow dress. Awful. That blue dress was a lot better. She needs to leave the designing to real designers.

Only Venus has her own company and I thought it was named Eleven? Which isn't her name spelled backwards. I think Serena is still with Nike.

Serena Williams has her own clothing line on HSN (Home Shopping Network.)
She was on a couple of nights ago working it.

angiebaby
01-18-2011, 09:25 PM
Beauty is in the eye of the holder, one man's treasure is another man's treasure.

In this case its Venus's treasure. :twisted:

Indeed it is.

I don't love her outfits in general but I don't particularly mind them either.

jt1224x0
01-18-2011, 09:48 PM

That is all.

carry on.

Who the hell is forcing you to watch her matches? If you don't like her then change the channel, it's that simple...:evil:

kelawai
01-18-2011, 09:49 PM
One is Venus and the other one like a soccer player Mattek-Sands. Luckily there is no player from Hawaii. Otherwise we will see coconut shell.

skip1969
01-18-2011, 09:57 PM
ugly is relative, for sure. but her clothes just seem so ill-fitting to me.

MichaelNadal
01-18-2011, 10:12 PM
I didn't like her first round dress but I loved the one today.

Sid_Vicious
01-18-2011, 10:19 PM
Venus should play in jeans and a sweater.

Bhagi Katbamna
01-18-2011, 10:22 PM
Shouldn't the word "fashion" in the title be in quotes?

kelawai
01-18-2011, 10:52 PM
What is the white strap behind the dress. To hold her panty? Can the Tournament Organizer set a dress code limit for her and Serena? Without endorsement I think Male Players will play without shirt on.

Gustavo Kuerten
01-19-2011, 04:54 AM
http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0e8c8AYe7qaLE/x610.jpg

Nice ***.

Underhand
01-19-2011, 05:01 AM
Nice ***.

It's all yours.

CityTennis22
01-19-2011, 05:09 AM
She's being creative and doing something that she loves (in fashion). I was impressed by her guts in that match last night. I don't know what she hurt, but a lot of male players would have packed it in last night after that.

drakulie
01-19-2011, 05:19 AM
Who the hell is forcing you to watch her matches? If you don't like her then change the channel, it's that simple...:evil:

When the Williams sisters play, espn shows their matches,,,, then replay their matches, ,,,,,, then show the same match again. Then again,,,,, and again.

It would be nice to watch other matched (more interesting) where I don't need to turn down the volume.

Now go to the corner for misbehaving and go learn something.

Telepatic
01-19-2011, 05:52 AM
omfg, I saw it and I'm disgusted with her dresses full of pap.

sureshs
01-19-2011, 05:56 AM
Her yellow dress is like a woven basket - lots of holes for someone to poke his fingers into and tickle her.

Clothing manufacturers have done so much to produce moisture-wicking and cool fabrics - she has achieved that simply by reducing the fabric and increasing the skin!

sureshs
01-19-2011, 05:58 AM
She's being creative and doing something that she loves (in fashion). I was impressed by her guts in that match last night. I don't know what she hurt, but a lot of male players would have packed it in last night after that.

I don't trust the Williams sisters' "injuries" too much. She might have faked it just to prepare the crowd (and herself) for losing, and then forgotten about it when she started winning again.

slice bh compliment
01-19-2011, 06:04 AM
Venus should play in jeans and a sweater.
She looks really nice in jeans and a sweater.

.full of pap.
Is that the guy who guested on guitar when Nirvana did Unplugged?

Her yellow dress is like a woven basket - lots of holes for someone to poke his fingers into and tickle her.

Clothing manufacturers have done so much to produce moisture-wicking and cool fabrics - she has achieved that simply by reducing the fabric and increasing the skin!

She is clearly not serious about sun protection. Or as the Aussies say, 'sun smart'.

sureshs
01-19-2011, 06:05 AM
She looks really nice in jeans and a sweater.

Is that the guy who guested on guitar when Nirvana did Unplugged?

She is clearly not serious about sun protection. Or as the Aussies say, 'sun smart'.

Why don't you apply some sun screen on her through those openings?

nadalbestclass
01-19-2011, 06:08 AM

Nice ***.

Just awful! Bad color combos, the cut is weird and it just doesn't suit her!

SLD76
01-19-2011, 06:12 AM
is it me, or did the thread just get weird?

sureshs
01-19-2011, 06:15 AM
What is the white strap behind the dress. To hold her panty? Can the Tournament Organizer set a dress code limit for her and Serena? Without endorsement I think Male Players will play without shirt on.

What about Bethany Mattek-Sands? Got to be wearing some of the most outrageous costumes ever.

Otherwise make beach volleyball outfit mandatory for all male and female players.

jmverdugo
01-19-2011, 06:19 AM
I do not like it either, it reminds me to when I went to see Sex in the City 2 and complained about the ugly dressess and my friend, who is in the fashion industry, said that you need to be in fashion to understand it...

bluetrain4
01-19-2011, 06:20 AM
Bethanie Mattek Sands would be proud. Lol.

While I thought it was very unflattering, I couldn't care less. It's her choice and it doesn't bother me.

Serena's fashion "risks" (the soccer outfit with the knee high socks, the catsuit, the demin and leather combo from the USO) at least seemed coherent and were obviously designed by a professional.

Venus' outfit seems completely random, almost like she's trying too hard, like classic Mattek-Sands outfits (anyone remember the leopard print with a cowboy hat?).

BTW, does Mattek-Sands even dress that crazy anymore? She seems to be a bit more conservative.

Again, I thought Venus' outfit was fairly bad, but if she wants to wear it, more power to her. It get's people talking, that's for sure.

cknobman
01-19-2011, 07:09 AM
I thought she looked a little like a homeless person last night.

sillymonkey
01-19-2011, 07:58 AM
Absolutely horrid and a most unflattering color/silhouette.
The brown panties must be stopped.

IvanYentl
01-19-2011, 08:01 AM
I am sorry, I know this is probably just my opinion, but Venus William's outfits are the most hideous pieces of crap I've seen. I know she designs them herself, and I applaud her for taking interests outside of tennis, ie creating her own company, but it's incredible how her success in tennis has blinded her on what is proper tennis attire.

Does she really think what she is wearing (here at aussie and all her previous outfits) are nice, they are so ugly, and not flattering to her at all. Shows what you can get away with when you are successful.

BTW, I like Venus much better than her sister, I think she is much more mature and gracious, but I just can't stand her outfits.

I think you're missing the point regarding the dress she wore last night. Venus has recently bought a fleet of fishing vessels and intends to break into commercial fishing when she is not sitting around avoiding training. Last night's dress will be combined with boxes of unsold/unwanted identical dresses to create a large net Venus will cast herself from the deck of one of her boats.

IvanYentl
01-19-2011, 08:02 AM
I thought she looked a little like a homeless person last night.

What? You didn't like her auburn swirly hairpiece?

slice bh compliment
01-19-2011, 08:10 AM
It looks like lattice.

phnx90
01-19-2011, 08:46 AM
Well on the bright side at least the brown panties will help cover the skid marks.

bezs
01-19-2011, 08:50 AM
She's a fashion statement a very wrong and bad one.

jdubbs
01-19-2011, 09:04 AM
You've got to take risks in fashion, I applaud her for that. They don't always work out.

Interestingly, all this interest in fashion, while it likely took away from tennis being 100% of the focus for the Williams sisters, have enabled them to prolong their careers beyond most other teen prodigies.

And keep in mind they've won 48 slam titles between them including doubles.

It's a pity so many want to see her go. I don't like all the screaming (though it seems all the women do it nowadays), but I sure appreciate her grit and determination and even her willingness to take fashion risks.

A pity that most don't appreciate her or Serena for all they've accomplished. Maybe because they don't look like the "ideal" country club raised tennis player?

IvanYentl
01-19-2011, 09:10 AM
BTW, does Mattek-Sands even dress that crazy anymore? She seems to be a bit more conservative.

Unless I'm mistaken, she's in better physical shape now than before. I saw her recently in doubles with Isner and the high socks and often-unusual outfits don't look so bad on her now that she's more fit.

Noltae
01-19-2011, 09:23 AM
Aravane Rezai in my opinion does the whole on court designer/fashion thing much much better...

split-step
01-19-2011, 09:36 AM
Aravane Rezai in my opinion does the whole on court designer/fashion thing much much better...

oh god no. They are both horrible messes out there. Venus was chanelling Rezai's tin foil outfit with her skirt.

Look Venus's dress was just hideous and extremely tacky for my tastes. But this is a grown woman we are talking about. She can wear whatever the hell she wants to wear.

MotherMarjorie
01-19-2011, 10:26 AM
Serena Williams has her own clothing line on HSN (Home Shopping Network.)
She was on a couple of nights ago working it.
You mean the long-awaited "boyfriend sweaters"? Yes, Serena has certainly found a way to connect with her fanbase.

Mother Marjorie Ann
Queen of Talk Tennis Warehouse

rommil
01-19-2011, 10:28 AM
What about Bethany Mattek-Sands? Got to be wearing some of the most outrageous costumes ever.

Otherwise make beach volleyball outfit mandatory for all male and female players.

You'd be too stupid not to notice Mattek's ensemble is done with a play of fun, tongue in cheek effect. Venus? well she wants your tongue on her cheek.

eliza
01-19-2011, 10:29 AM
I have no idea where her designs come from (a nightmare?) yet I never saw them on sale, at any store, and certainly not at TW.
Does she actually sell them?

MotherMarjorie
01-19-2011, 10:34 AM
Mother Marjorie stopped enabling these types of poor fashion statements long ago by simply not purchasing the line.

For some professional players in decline, I guess fashion statements are all they have left to spur interest in their careers.

Mother Marjorie Ann

WARPWOODIE
01-19-2011, 11:06 AM
It's all yours.

was trying to envision that....way too funny!

sureshs
01-19-2011, 11:24 AM
I have no idea where her designs come from (a nightmare?) yet I never saw them on sale, at any store, and certainly not at TW.

Isn't it called Eleven or something and Serena's is called Aneres?

sureshs
01-19-2011, 11:24 AM
Mother Marjorie stopped enabling these types of poor fashion statements long ago by simply not purchasing the line.

For some professional players in decline, I guess fashion statements are all they have left to spur interest in their careers.

Mother Marjorie Ann

I want to purchase them for myself

CCNM
01-19-2011, 11:50 AM
She dresses better than her sister.

pepka
01-19-2011, 12:47 PM
^ still disturbing.

Cindysphinx
01-19-2011, 01:01 PM
Oh, the yellow dress was *so* bad!!! I mean, "hurt your eyes" bad. It proves to me that Venus Williams does not have a single true friend. 'Cause a true friend would not let you go out like that.

Designing must be much harder than it looks. The yellow webbing was too big, as though she was leaving room for her gut. The webbing was too wide, which gave it a heavy, clunky look.

And the skirt? Was that a dipstick rag she pulled out of the trash? It does not coordinate at all with the yellow.

I actually wanted her to lose so I didn't have to see that dress or any dress like it again.

Seriously, I think tennis organizers should have a new rule that no female player can wear flesh-colored underwear. It's a shame we have to legislate the obvious, but being flashed by Venus Williams for two solid hours is just too much to bear.

adidasman
01-19-2011, 01:07 PM
Isn't it called Eleven or something and Serena's is called Aneres? Venus' line is sold "exclusively" (lucky them!) by some cheapo department store - I can't recall the name (HM or something?), but they specialize in disposable fashions that are cheap so you won't mind when they go out of style six weeks after you bought them. Serena's "brand" is just stuff she wears to premieres and award shows and the like - probably not for sale anywhere but the Goodwill nearest her house after she's worn the thing once. It's not for tennis; she leaves it to Nike to design her train wrecks for her. Going to design school doesn't mean you have a talent for design, the same way going to art school doesn't make you da Vinci and taking tennis lessons doesn't make you Rod Laver. It just means you have the money to pay for classes.

Squidward
01-19-2011, 01:11 PM
What a miserable excuse for fashon ...

Shangri La
01-19-2011, 01:15 PM
This new outfit (the yellow and the mesh thing) is inspired by the Volkl C10 Pro fishnet. It matches her upcoming switch to the Volkl (w/ fishnet pj) to alleviate lingering shoulder/arm issues.

8F93W5
01-19-2011, 01:17 PM
I haven't read evetry post. I'm on lunch from work. It looks like almost 100% against her dress in the few I read.

I happen to like her outfits. Not everything she's ever worn back to 1997 or whenever she started. But I like the most recent one, and the last several.

jdubbs
01-19-2011, 01:20 PM
When you win 48 combined slams, as the Williams sisters have, I think you have the right to try out different fashion ideas. Better than the same old corporate Nike look we get from Federer and Nadal where their Nike lords get to decide what they wear every tournament.

Venus had a collaboration with Ralph Lauren and got a degree in fashion.

Some of their stuff falls flat, for sure, but I like people who go out on an edge and try different things.

Funny, when Agassi did it, people loved it, but when someone like Venus tries it she gets the opposite reaction.

Shangri La
01-19-2011, 01:27 PM
Funny, when Agassi did it, people loved it, but when someone like Venus tries it she gets the opposite reaction.

That tells you 1- people ARE open to new fashion ideas and 2- her attempts have simply been failure. No?

adidasman
01-19-2011, 01:29 PM
When you win 48 combined slams, as the Williams sisters have, I think you have the right to try out different fashion ideas. Better than the same old corporate Nike look we get from Federer and Nadal where their Nike lords get to decide what they wear every tournament.

Venus had a collaboration with Ralph Lauren and got a degree in fashion.

Some of their stuff falls flat, for sure, but I like people who go out on an edge and try different things.

Funny, when Agassi did it, people loved it, but when someone like Venus tries it she gets the opposite reaction. A degree in fashion? So what. As I said, ANYone can get a degree in fashion. It doesn't mean you have any talent. And when did Venus have a collaboration with Ralph Lauren? Agassi may have worn some ugly stuff (and many called it ugly at the time - his looks were far from universally lauded), but he didn't design it, and he didn't crow about his abilities as a designer. The stuff Venus designs shows she has no business designing clothes for anything beyond a Cirque du Soleil show in Vegas. Does she have a right to wear what she wants? Her wealth and success give her that. But does that make it good, or even tolerable? Nope. It sure doesn't. The sad truth is that the stuff she wears proves the eternal truth that you can buy a lot of things, but you can't buy good taste.

sureshs
01-19-2011, 01:49 PM
Serena's "brand" is just stuff she wears to premieres and award shows and the like - probably not for sale anywhere but the Goodwill nearest her house after she's worn the thing once

That is not true about Serena. I have myself seen her on HSN or QVC selling her stuff. They are called "boyfriend" sweaters.

You have to realize these are women with tons of money. If something interests them, they will dabble in it. They may become successful after retirement, or maybe not. Just think of it as an eccentricity. If an old man was buying Ferraris which he can't even drive, everybody would be cheering him.

eliza
01-19-2011, 01:52 PM
Isn't it called Eleven or something and Serena's is called Aneres?

Not sure, but did you see any lady wearing these dresses?

jdubbs
01-19-2011, 02:11 PM
That tells you 1- people ARE open to new fashion ideas and 2- her attempts have simply been failure. No?

No, I think there's something else behind it, for the same reasons there's so much vitriol behind any posting about the Williams sisters.

To paraphrase Lleyton Hewitt -"Look at 'em mate, YOU tell me what the similarities are?"

jdubbs
01-19-2011, 02:13 PM
And when did Venus have a collaboration with Ralph Lauren?

Ralph Lauren collab: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/442997-2010-us-open-special-venus-williams-fashioned-for-success

sureshs
01-19-2011, 02:18 PM
Not sure, but did you see any lady wearing these dresses?

I don't know. I am not an expert in women's dresses.

Shangri La
01-19-2011, 02:22 PM
No, I think there's something else behind it, for the same reasons there's so much vitriol behind any posting about the Williams sisters.

To paraphrase Lleyton Hewitt -"Look at 'em mate, YOU tell me what the similarities are?"

Oh please... what is that 'somehting else' you speak of...

sureshs
01-19-2011, 02:26 PM
How many of you use Fed's cologne?

Or Nadal's undies?

Why so much hate against the Williams?

JustBob
01-19-2011, 02:37 PM
Apparently, that latest "design" was inspired by "Alice in Wonderland". Of course nothing says "Alice in Wonderland" like a yellow bikini top attached to the yellow criss-cross straps of a lawn chair and, under that, serving as a skirt, what looks to be a bad reproduction of a Monet painting. Oh well, at least it goes with the bling...

jdubbs
01-19-2011, 02:41 PM
Oh please... what is that 'somehting else' you speak of...

You know. Why pretend it's not there?

Squidward
01-19-2011, 02:54 PM

Excuse me while I BARF!!

Shangri La
01-19-2011, 04:32 PM
You know. Why pretend it's not there?

why does it have to be 'something else' when poeple just simply dislike her 'fashion' taste??

jdubbs
01-19-2011, 04:57 PM
why does it have to be 'something else' when poeple just simply dislike her 'fashion' taste??

Thread after thread and nothing but distaste for the lone American woman left in the tourney. You tell me.

ClarkC
01-19-2011, 05:07 PM
I don't know which round I saw, but I thought Venus looked good. Did not see both of her matches so far, only one.

I am very critical of Serena and her streetwalker attire, don't like the screeching of both of them, have seen some Venus outfits I did not like in the last couple of years (I thought she was better attired and classier a couple of years ago), cannot stand the Williams parents especially Richard, and pull against Serena most of the time. But I like Venus and hope she keeps winning and did not have a problem with her dress in the match I saw.

If you want to talk about not looking good on the tennis court, we could start with the epitome of trailer trash, Bethanie Mattek-Sands. She is about as repulsive as they come on the women's tour.

LDVTennis
01-19-2011, 05:18 PM
Ralph Lauren collab: http://bleacherreport.com/articles/442997-2010-us-open-special-venus-williams-fashioned-for-success

That was no collaboration.

The dress was a stock Ralph Lauren design. Venus had no part in designing it.

Venus just added her logo to it, perhaps as compensation for participating in the charity event that Ralph Lauren was sponsoring.

There are no Ralph Lauren dresses designed by Venus. The very thought is ridiculous.

8F93W5
01-19-2011, 09:26 PM
[QUOTE=ClarkC;5339607]........... cannot stand the Williams parents especially Richard,..........QUOTE]

Richard is very nice. (I don't know if Oracine would agree ). He's nice to strangers. At least he was nice to me the one time I spoke with him at BOTW several years ago. He might like to screw around with idiot reporters, but he's nice to regular people.
I was taking a picture of Mary Joe F and he was between and off to the side of Mary and I. He mistakenly thought I was taking a pic of him and he approached me with his hand out (for me to shake) and as he did that, he asked "did you get it?" (the pic). We spoke for maybe 60 seconds. He was very kind. My feelings about him were confirmed by two friends from my tennis club who volunteer at the two local tournaments (San Jose and Stanford/Palo Alto). They drive and usher. They both said that Richard was one of the most popular persons in the players lounge. Popular with the volunteers at least. Super friendly and nice.

kelawai
01-19-2011, 10:01 PM

TJ Maxx in my area sell them and one day the store Manager boxed all Venus designers clothing, shipped and giveaway to some poor country. Said how this thing can sell and want to save some spaces for cheaper price dresses.

I make up the story : ))

eliza
01-20-2011, 04:22 AM
Thread after thread and nothing but distaste for the lone American woman left in the tourney. You tell me.

Because this is what American like to do. They love to hate. They cannot do anything else but spit. No true criticism, no true comment.

slice bh compliment
01-20-2011, 04:58 AM
^You must be American then?^

That generalization is really sweeping. For me, it lands somewhere between weak and ridiculous.

At our best, we're regarded by the world as personable and optimistic.
....and that goes for our best buds, the Canadians as well.
At our worst...well, anything goes, I guess (arrogant, naive, etc). Forgive us.

Bobby Jr
01-20-2011, 05:06 AM
Maybe I'm seeing things but is Venus' badonkadonk getting a little more.... um.... full these days?

THUNDERVOLLEY
01-20-2011, 05:08 AM
Because this is what American like to do. They love to hate. They cannot do anything else but spit. No true criticism, no true comment.

All Americans are not of this ilk, but said ilk--as seen in every thread concerning certain players--post their not-so-veiled social ills right on schedule.

adidasman
01-20-2011, 05:53 AM
Thread after thread and nothing but distaste for the lone American woman left in the tourney. You tell me. What difference does it make if she's American? She and her sister have portrayed themselves willingly as outsiders and seize every chance they get to claim racism swirls around them constantly (see Indian Wells). Then, when their arrogance and narcissism rub people the wrong way and fans don't like them, no one can criticize them without being accused of racism. It's never their behavior, or their lack of respect for other players or the game itself - it's because they're black. Trust me, the Williams sisters would nauseate me just as much if they both looked like Ana Ivanovic. Why can't you guys understand that? They have been strutting around since they were teenagers, working the system to their advantage and seizing every opportunity to appear the maligned victims. They have been dismissive of foes and self-serving to the last. Their skin color has nothing to do with the way they act; their dad placed that enormous chip on their collective shoulder from the start, and it's still there. It's just not fair for them to be able to do and say and wear whatever they want and be beyond reproach because of their race. And if you think I feel the way I do about them because they're African-American, all I can tell you is that you're wrong. To be honest, the fact that they're Americans - home of the petulant, self-absorbed athlete - bothers me much more than does their racial heritage.

eliza
01-20-2011, 07:50 AM
All Americans are not of this ilk, but said ilk--as seen in every thread concerning certain players--post their not-so-veiled social ills right on schedule.

I do hope so, truly, sincerely. But when a just elected governor says "if you do not believe in Christ you are not my brother or sister" (quote not literal) is hard to think what the future will bring......

eliza
01-20-2011, 07:55 AM
What difference does it make if she's American? She and her sister have portrayed themselves willingly as outsiders and seize every chance they get to claim racism swirls around them constantly (see Indian Wells). Then, when their arrogance and narcissism rub people the wrong way and fans don't like them, no one can criticize them without being accused of racism. It's never their behavior, or their lack of respect for other players or the game itself - it's because they're black. Trust me, the Williams sisters would nauseate me just as much if they both looked like Ana Ivanovic. Why can't you guys understand that? They have been strutting around since they were teenagers, working the system to their advantage and seizing every opportunity to appear the maligned victims. They have been dismissive of foes and self-serving to the last. Their skin color has nothing to do with the way they act; their dad placed that enormous chip on their collective shoulder from the start, and it's still there. It's just not fair for them to be able to do and say and wear whatever they want and be beyond reproach because of their race. And if you think I feel the way I do about them because they're African-American, all I can tell you is that you're wrong. To be honest, the fact that they're Americans - home of the petulant, self-absorbed athlete - bothers me much more than does their racial heritage.

It is really funny (or disturbing) that I, a foreigner, feel the need to defend the sisters. For Serena was born in MI, and boy do I understand WHY her father got the hell out of here, as fast as he could.
Now, I know he has a bad reputation, and that it appears like they built ice around them, but do not tell me that they were treated like other players. They were NOT.

jdubbs
01-20-2011, 08:20 AM
What difference does it make if she's American? She and her sister have portrayed themselves willingly as outsiders and seize every chance they get to claim racism swirls around them constantly (see Indian Wells). Then, when their arrogance and narcissism rub people the wrong way and fans don't like them, no one can criticize them without being accused of racism. It's never their behavior, or their lack of respect for other players or the game itself - it's because they're black. Trust me, the Williams sisters would nauseate me just as much if they both looked like Ana Ivanovic. Why can't you guys understand that? They have been strutting around since they were teenagers, working the system to their advantage and seizing every opportunity to appear the maligned victims. They have been dismissive of foes and self-serving to the last. Their skin color has nothing to do with the way they act; their dad placed that enormous chip on their collective shoulder from the start, and it's still there. It's just not fair for them to be able to do and say and wear whatever they want and be beyond reproach because of their race. And if you think I feel the way I do about them because they're African-American, all I can tell you is that you're wrong. To be honest, the fact that they're Americans - home of the petulant, self-absorbed athlete - bothers me much more than does their racial heritage.

And yet...and yet, Agassi could also be described as "self-absorbed with a tremendous chip on his shoulder" -but was loved almost universally. McEnroe and Connors were "strutting around since they were teenagers and seizing every opportunity to appear the maligned victims" and were loved by many as well. Those rascals!

So when its certain players, those characteristics are "refreshing" but when it's the Williams sisters, it "bothers" people. The reality is Venus and Serena had to go through a tennis system that wasn't designed for them, they blazed their own path, and people didn't appreciate these 2 black sisters not rising through the junior ranks and all of the sudden dominating tennis. I've heard people say "well, they dominate basketball, football...why can't they leave us tennis and golf?"

Do you see what I'm getting at? It's silly to pretend it doesn't exist, and thread after thread of hate for the Williams sisters sort of proves the point.

I for one and proud of both, and they'll be a factor in slams for years to come.

adidasman
01-20-2011, 08:23 AM
And yet...and yet, Agassi could also be described as "self-absorbed with a tremendous chip on his shoulder" -but was loved almost universally. McEnroe and Connors were "strutting around since they were teenagers and seizing every opportunity to appear the maligned victims" and were loved by many as well. Those rascals!

So when its certain players, those characteristics are "refreshing" but when it's the Williams sisters, it "bothers" people. The reality is Venus and Serena had to go through a tennis system that wasn't designed for them, they blazed their own path, and people didn't appreciate these 2 black sisters not rising through the junior ranks and all of the sudden dominating tennis. I've heard people say "well, they dominate basketball, football...why can't they leave us tennis and golf?"

Do you see what I'm getting at? It's silly to pretend it doesn't exist, and thread after thread of hate for the Williams sisters sort of proves the point.

I for one and proud of both, and they'll be a factor in slams for years to come. It's also silly to see every criticism of the Williams sisters, fair or not, as having been filtered through the prism of race. I'm not saying racism doesn't exist, but I can tell you it isn't part of what makes me critical of much of what Venus and Serena do. And, for the record, I never found Agassi or McEnroe or Connors "refreshing;" they were arrogant buffoons, and lots of people felt that way. They might be beloved now, but they weren't universally embraced when they emerged on the tennis scene.

I have to say that your suggestion that the sisters will be factors at majors "for years to come," given their sporadic commitment to training and consistent playing, seems optimistic at best and naive at worst.

sureshs
01-20-2011, 08:26 AM

I for one and proud of both, and they'll be a factor in slams for years to come.

You nailed it.

Agassi also took drugs. And JMac made a career out of humiliating officials and employing tactics to mentally distract his opponent. His brother makes an insane amount of money using the family name.

It is ridiculous to think that the Williams sisters will not act differently given the kind of situation they face. Everyone reacts to how people are to them. It is just human nature.

Joe Pike
01-20-2011, 09:11 AM
And yet...and yet, Agassi could also be described as "self-absorbed with a tremendous chip on his shoulder" -but was loved almost universally. McEnroe and Connors were "strutting around since they were teenagers and seizing every opportunity to appear the maligned victims" and were loved by many as well. ...

The Williams sisters are loved by many, too.
And Connors and McEnroe - and even Agassi - were hated by many.

OK, Agassi is of Armenian descent - so those racists (you know, those people who are not as recommendable human beings as you are) loved to hate him.

Joe Pike
01-20-2011, 09:13 AM

In which slam and in which years to come do you think Venus will be a factor?

jdubbs
01-20-2011, 09:16 AM
I have to say that your suggestion that the sisters will be factors at majors "for years to come," given their sporadic commitment to training and consistent playing, seems optimistic at best and naive at worst.

So you're saying Venus and Serena, with 48 slam titles between them, won't be a factor at majors? I seem to remember a Kim Clijsters taking off TWO years, having a BABY, and coming back and winning back to back US Opens. And the wear and tear the sisters have avoided by NOT playing every out of the way tournament have prolonged their careers significantly.

You don't think Serena, when she comes back, will be among the favorites at the US Open? Or Venus at Wimbledon? Who's going to beat them? Wozniaki? Naive? Who's naive?

Joe Pike
01-20-2011, 09:19 AM

Venus had a collaboration with Ralph Lauren ....

:):):)
But not in the real world. Only in Williams fantasy land ...

sureshs
01-20-2011, 09:26 AM
:):):)
But not in the real world. Only in Williams fantasy land ...

It is no different than Roger Federer providing "input" to Wilson

MichaelNadal
01-20-2011, 09:47 AM
It is no different than Roger Federer providing "input" to Wilson

http://michaeljacksonanimatedgifs.com/images/others/mjgifs15.gif

skip1969
01-20-2011, 09:56 AM
why does every thread about the williams' sisters end up as some racial cat-fight? this was supposed to be a silly thread about venus' silly outfits.

hell, take venus out of the equation altogether. if you walked into your local pro shop and saw that pie-crusted/tye-dyed thing draped over a mannequin . . . tell me you wouldn't stare at it and say, "wha??"

if you went to the courts and saw a girl skipping along the baseline wearing it, it would probably be more like, "what the hell was she thinking?"

jdubbs
01-20-2011, 10:00 AM
So you're saying Venus and Serena, with 48 slam titles between them, won't be a factor at majors? I seem to remember a Kim Clijsters taking off TWO years, having a BABY, and coming back and winning back to back US Opens. And the wear and tear the sisters have avoided by NOT playing every out of the way tournament have prolonged their careers significantly.

You don't think Serena, when she comes back, will be among the favorites at the US Open? Or Venus at Wimbledon? Who's going to beat them? Wozniaki? Naive? Who's naive?

(crickets)

Joe Pike
01-20-2011, 10:01 AM
why does every thread about the williams' sisters end up as some racial cat-fight? this was supposed to be a silly thread about venus' silly outfits.

hell, take venus out of the equation altogether. if you walked into your local pro shop and saw that pie-crusted/tye-dyed thing draped over a mannequin . . . tell me you wouldn't stare at it and say, "wha??"

if you went to the courts and saw a girl skipping along the baseline wearing it, it would probably be more like, "what the hell was she thinking?"

But if she were a black girl you would be a racist for saying this!

adidasman
01-20-2011, 10:05 AM
It is no different than Roger Federer providing "input" to Wilson Roger Federer does not claim to be a tennis racquet designer. So yes, it IS different. Very different.

adidasman
01-20-2011, 10:11 AM

You don't think Serena, when she comes back, will be among the favorites at the US Open? Or Venus at Wimbledon? Who's going to beat them? Wozniaki? Naive? Who's naive? I will state for the record right here that Venus Williams will never win another major title. It's been how many years now since her last one? And she's 30? What in the world makes you think she'd be a favorite anywhere other than in a WTT match? As for Serena, she could still pull off another one, maybe two - but it was your "for years to come" comment that killed me. Years? Really? Do you honestly think either of them will still be playing in two years from now? I sure don't. As for Clijsters, she is still younger than both Venus and Serena, in better shape, and more committed to playing regularly than the Williams sisters have ever been. And, given how many injuries the two have suffered, I'd say your "low mileage" argument is specious as well. Wouldn't all that rest you're talking about lead to fewer injuries? Isn't that what we always hear - that's it's the grueling nature of the tour that causes so many players to get hurt? Well, that certainly hasn't been the case with Venus or Serena. They just get hurt because...wellllll...because their mechanics stink and they aren't fit.

Oh, and if your "48 majors" argument is the sole reason for your stance, I guess that means Margaret Court will perpetually be considered a threat to win a major.

rommil
01-20-2011, 10:14 AM
(crickets)

I doubt any crickets would beat them at this time.

skip1969
01-20-2011, 10:17 AM
But if she were a black girl you would be a racist for saying this!
well, depending on whether she was fine or not . . .

eliza
01-20-2011, 10:23 AM

Thank you. Boy, do you guys remember John????? Talking about being "rudely self-centered"..............

OK the Venus outfit I would buy is the Can-Can one (red-black) she had at Roland Garros.....That's pretty much it......

sureshs
01-20-2011, 10:30 AM
Roger Federer does not claim to be a tennis racquet designer. So yes, it IS different. Very different.

What about his cologne and Nadal's undies?

jdubbs
01-20-2011, 10:30 AM
I will state for the record right here that Venus Williams will never win another major title. It's been how many years now since her last one? And she's 30? What in the world makes you think she'd be a favorite anywhere other than in a WTT match? As for Serena, she could still pull off another one, maybe two - but it was your "for years to come" comment that killed me. Years? Really? Do you honestly think either of them will still be playing in two years from now? I sure don't. As for Clijsters, she is still younger than both Venus and Serena, in better shape, and more committed to playing regularly than the Williams sisters have ever been. And, given how many injuries the two have suffered, I'd say your "low mileage" argument is specious as well. Wouldn't all that rest you're talking about lead to fewer injuries? Isn't that what we always hear - that's it's the grueling nature of the tour that causes so many players to get hurt? Well, that certainly hasn't been the case with Venus or Serena. They just get hurt because...wellllll...because their mechanics stink and they aren't fit.

Oh, and if your "48 majors" argument is the sole reason for your stance, I guess that means Margaret Court will perpetually be considered a threat to win a major.

Look at it this way. Which woman out there is going to face Venus, say at Wimbledon, or Serena really anywhere, and is going to say "oh easy one coming up here" Who would be heavily favored against either one? I see both playing for at least the next 4-5 years easily. I don't see a "female Federer" with a style to knock them off easily. All the women just slug the ball, which Venus and Serena LOVE, since they basically started the whole era.

Injuries happen, but among the women retirees, it's usually not injuries, but burnout from the grueling tour that does them in. Going from Thailand to Serbia to Japan to the U.S. non stop for years would crush even the most strong person after a while. The Williams' have kept their outside interests strong and haven't suffered this same burnout.

And with that, I'm done with this thread. Thanks for your input. I've enjoyed the different viewpoints, honestly!

Underhand
01-20-2011, 10:37 AM
All the women just slug the ball, which Venus and Serena LOVE, since they basically started the whole era.

You're an idiot, but this is very true. Unfortunately.

CCNM
01-20-2011, 12:02 PM
I still would like Venus and/or Serena to design something for Federer to wear at Wimbledon-that would be interesting. Ha ha!

Fedace
01-20-2011, 12:18 PM
I GOT it......That dress is from the MUGATO fall fashion show,,,,"DERELICT"

Objective Danny
01-21-2011, 03:32 AM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/f2/fullj.e3810ce523915c38d76664a9bb1541be/e3810ce523915c38d76664a9bb1541be-getty-tennis-open-aus.jpg

We're suppose to believe this women has a degree in fashion? ? ? I don't believe it.

adidasman
01-21-2011, 12:24 PM
http://d.yimg.com/a/p/sp/getty/f2/fullj.e3810ce523915c38d76664a9bb1541be/e3810ce523915c38d76664a9bb1541be-getty-tennis-open-aus.jpg

We're suppose to believe this women has a degree in fashion? ? ? I don't believe it. Sure. She got her degree at Fredericks Of Hollywood School Of Fashion Design And Pole Dancing; it's right next to the Dennys on Route 37, two miles outside of Orlando.

JustBob
01-21-2011, 02:24 PM
What about his cologne and Nadal's undies?

If Federer was wearing his cologne on court, it smelled like dog poo and your tv was in odorama, and if Nadal was playing tennis in his undies and they looked like disco Bob's 70's fluorescent undies, then yes, your comparison might have some validity.

eliza
01-21-2011, 03:21 PM
If Federer was wearing his cologne on court, it smelled like dog poo and your tv was in odorama, and if Nadal was playing tennis in his undies and they looked like disco Bob's 70's fluorescent undies, then yes, your comparison might have some validity.

Yet, I am thinking I should get a photo of Nadal in Armani's undies, make it
4'x 6' and hang it in the office........Oh, yeah.

callmethedoctor
01-21-2011, 07:12 PM

A whole lot better than the lattice one...

Tanya
01-21-2011, 07:17 PM
Yet, I am thinking I should get a photo of Nadal in Armani's undies, make it
4'x 6' and hang it in the office........Oh, yeah.

I second that.

cc0509
01-21-2011, 08:33 PM
You can have a degree in fashion but it does not mean you necessarily have good taste.

cc0509
01-21-2011, 08:36 PM
Sure. She got her degree at Fredericks Of Hollywood School Of Fashion Design And Pole Dancing; it's right next to the Dennys on Route 37, two miles outside of Orlando.

LOL.......!

li0scc0
01-24-2011, 08:10 AM

All Americans, Eliza?
In another thread you mention how Americans hate you for 'being Italian', although you do not mention a single instance of how your national background had anything to do with this dislike.
Yet....you have made it very clear that you hate all Americans.
Perhaps the issue here is that YOU hate people for THEIR nationality. And thus you assume that everybody who dislikes YOU thinks that way because of YOUR nationality, even though that has nothing to do with it.

TourTenor
01-24-2011, 08:48 AM
All Americans, Eliza?
In another thread you mention how Americans hate you for 'being Italian', although you do not mention a single instance of how your national background had anything to do with this dislike.
Yet....you have made it very clear that you hate all Americans.
Perhaps the issue here is that YOU hate people for THEIR nationality. And thus you assume that everybody who dislikes YOU thinks that way because of YOUR nationality, even though that has nothing to do with it.
Wait, this isn't fair ... I love Eliza because she is Italian ... HHuuuckkkkthapwwwattoooiiiiiii (flem sharing sound).:wink:

jones101
01-24-2011, 12:01 PM
A whole lot better than the lattice one...

This and her blue dress were quite nice actually, though the newspaper skirt/lattice pie top was not a favourite of mine.

Fashion is about expression and freedom, which Venus seems to embrace it with her clothes. Venus is now 30 and having fun with what she wears on court, she had a great body and feels confident, so why not. She can make more 'traditional' tennis dresses also. Her 2008 collection of 'godess' dresses were (IMO) very elegant and tasteful.

Whoever was mocking Venus degree is stupid and probably uneducated themselves. You make not like her taste, but her degree is legit.

adidasman
01-24-2011, 01:02 PM
This and her blue dress were quite nice actually, though the newspaper skirt/lattice pie top was not a favourite of mine.

Fashion is about expression and freedom, which Venus seems to embrace it with her clothes. Venus is now 30 and having fun with what she wears on court, she had a great body and feels confident, so why not. She can make more 'traditional' tennis dresses also. Her 2008 collection of 'godess' dresses were (IMO) very elegant and tasteful.

Whoever was mocking Venus degree is stupid and probably uneducated themselves. You make not like her taste, but her degree is legit. Well, since I assume you're aiming that comment at me, feel free to enlighten poor ol' uneducated adidasman. (Me with my actual college degree, not some pseudo-degree in fashion from a vocational school.) Exactly what esteemed design institution was fortunate enough to have had Venus Williams as one of their students? And did she matriculate with honors? Summa cum tacky? I will say it again. Having a degree in and of itself means nothing in a field like fashion. I have a degree in art, but trust me - I am no Jackson Pollock or Renee Magritte. Besides, we don't even know if she's responsible for those travesties she's been wearing, do we? Has anyone actually said she designed those retina-searing frocks? (Oh, and for my money Venus has never had a great body. Not now, not 10 years ago. Saggy breasts, too-long legs, bad posture.)