cork_screw
01-18-2011, 10:36 PM
Currently playing Wawrinka on ESPN3 2:42am ea. Court 2

OddJack
01-18-2011, 10:53 PM
yeah.. watching now...interesting match

accidental
01-18-2011, 11:33 PM
watching this match, im really not understanding the hype for this kid.

Lsmkenpo
01-19-2011, 01:35 AM
Not impressed, looks like he has spent a lot of time trying to perfect his Federer imitation, too bad he has none of the weapons of Federer to do it justice.

henryshli
01-19-2011, 01:39 AM
Not impressed, looks like he has spent a lot of time trying to perfect his Federer imitation, too bad he has none of the weapons of Federer to do it justice.

A bit harsh to judge him at 19yo against Stan who is a solid top 20 player.

Lsmkenpo
01-19-2011, 01:52 AM
A bit harsh to judge him at 19yo against Stan who is a solid top 20 player.

The kid is being hyped as the next coming of Jesus Christ in tennis shorts so I expect him to show something other than a cheap imitation of Federer.

Guess what Federer was doing at 19, he was making quarterfinals of slams and beat some guy named Pete Sampras.

Not harsh at all, just reality versus the ridiculous hype.

Jchurch
01-19-2011, 02:32 AM
The kid is being hyped as the next coming of Jesus Christ in tennis shorts so I expect him to show something other than a cheap imitation of Federer.

Guess what Federer was doing at 19, he was making quarterfinals of slams and beat some guy named Pete Sampras.

Not harsh at all, just reality versus the ridiculous hype.

Fed made the QFs of two slams and then went incognito. I agree that the hype has become overbearing, most likely due to Peter Lundgren's comments, but to try and draw parallels or similarities between players on the timeline of one of the best ever is a flawed method.

westside
01-19-2011, 02:48 AM
Was at this match today, was very interesting to watch. I was expecting Dimitrov to show some true weapons. But every point was a case of "everything you can do, i can do better" for Wawrinka. I think Dimitrov's biggest flaw was his patience. Most long rallies ended by Dimitrov going for a huge shot.

I still think he can do very well in the future though

1970CRBase
01-19-2011, 03:37 AM

That's just it. My perception after watching that match against Stan is he seems to be making too much of an effort to make and keep up that Fed imitation thing with all the "smooth fluid beautiful strokes" and all to the point of which he's forgotten to be himself.

Lsmkenpo
01-19-2011, 04:22 AM
That's just it. My perception after watching that match against Stan is he seems to be making too much of an effort to make and keep up that Fed imitation thing with all the "smooth fluid beautiful strokes" and all to the point of which he's forgotten to be himself.

Exactly, he needs to to work on gaining some weapons in lieu of his attempt at a Federer like game otherwise he will never be a top player.

corners
01-19-2011, 04:24 AM

It's quite possible that you're right. But also remember that there have been some extremely successful copies of great players. Laver > Navratilova comes to mind. Fed's strokes are about as good as they get and they seem to match Dimitrov's body type and athletic ability - he might be just the man to master them and make them his own.

But even if he does it still might take him a while to master his opponents. Fed had all the tools but took a very long time to put it all together. Lundgren overhauled this kid's strokes less than two years ago. He's improved since then, so so far it's working out.

It's a bit early to judge on today's match especially, as he was essentially playing his former coach and a top-20 player at the same time. Not an easy task for a young guy. I think he had a good tournament and it's too early to write him off as a lame imposter just yet.