PDA

View Full Version : Biggest Tool in Tennis

johnnymacfan
01-19-2011, 06:03 AM
I'm down to 3...Would love to get some other perspectives:

1 - James Blake. Please formally retire. He's becoming the Brett Favre of tennis - only less successful. Brett has filed his paperwork with

2 - Darren Cahill. Just shut up already. He can be insightful, but talks way too much and often goes off on tangents that he knows nothing about. The sad part is, Chris Fowler (who's great for college football) goes right along with him and they both end up sounding like idiots.

3 - Brad Gilbert. I think he wins the Tool Award hands down. What an annoying little jerk. Hey Brad: Enough with the Metallica cap, butchering players names, and snappy lingo that you picked up from your 12 year old. Maybe the biggest d-bag in ANY sport right now.

Thoughts?

Blinkism
01-19-2011, 06:07 AM
did anyone catch Cliff Drysdale call P-Mac on his B.S. during the Querrey match?

Cliff Drysdale is so thoroughly awesome and P-Mac is just :lol:

Also, Mary Carillo is a big tool.

CityTennis22
01-19-2011, 06:07 AM
Pam Shriver beats them all. I can't stand her.

forzamilan90
01-19-2011, 06:16 AM
Fowler, Cahill, and Drysdale are alright as commentators. Gilbert is a tool though.

timmeh
01-19-2011, 06:17 AM
On court? Roddick. Though he is funny off court.

Mardy Fish is a tool as well. Always whining and whinging.

johnnymacfan
01-19-2011, 06:20 AM
Agree 100% on P-Mac. I'm OK with Carrillo and Pam Shriver, but I will say that after watching the Almagro/Andreev match on DirecTV last night, Barry McKay has to be one of the most atrocious announcers of all time.

As for players, Haas was/is a notoriously mean guy and Roddick is a bit of a tool as well in terms of arrogance and meanness.

namelessone
01-19-2011, 06:20 AM
Biggest tool in tennis?

Stephanek's, judging by the ladies reactions.

johnnymacfan
01-19-2011, 06:22 AM
Biggest tool in tennis?

Stephanek's, judging by the ladies reactions.

If you're going that route (and I wish you wouldn't), I'd say Monfils has everyone beat. Stepanek is pretty amazing with the ladies he pulls though, especially given that grill he's sporting.

fhdowntheline
01-19-2011, 06:26 AM
For a minute, I thought the Title read as "Biggest Fool" in Tennis:mrgreen:

slice bh compliment
01-19-2011, 06:52 AM
I was thinking tool, but in a different way.
1] Tool used to mean someone who is being used but does not know it...or maybe has come to know he's being used, but lets it slide. At least that's my understanding of tool.

2] I was also thinking tool, like weapon...like a great serve/backhand/forehand/volley in the arsenal.

In this thread, what is a tool? Just a jerk or a misfit or a yutz?

Andres
01-19-2011, 06:55 AM
The greatest tool in tennis is the racquet, obviously.

Clay lover
01-19-2011, 07:00 AM
tool means more like fool in slang...so i say...LA MONF!

dandelion_smiley
01-19-2011, 07:02 AM
agree about Gilbert, just get him out of here

SLD76
01-19-2011, 07:04 AM
1. johnny mac

2. mary carillo

3. brad gilbert.

4. entire espn crew

5. special shout out to bud collins

6. jim courier( but only for his courtside interviews, not his commentary)

7. patrick mcenroe. I love how a guy who never won much of note is giving strategy advice.

Gtech
01-19-2011, 07:12 AM
Biggest tool, easily, Brad Gilbert. His constant hallucinations about his time with Agassi. The whole "Killer this, Killer that", what are these guys? 12 yrs old? Drop the "Killer Cahill" BS.
2nd biggest - Roddick, what an immature guy. His tirades against line judges in the past 2 yrs really showed what a POS guy he really is.

johnnymacfan
01-19-2011, 07:22 AM
1. johnny mac

2. mary carillo

3. brad gilbert.

4. entire espn crew

5. special shout out to bud collins

6. jim courier( but only for his courtside interviews, not his commentary)

7. patrick mcenroe. I love how a guy who never won much of note is giving strategy advice.

This is a good list, though I respectfully disagree on Johnny Mac. He can be rough, but the guy is a great commentator (not to speak of his playing career). Patrick McEnroe is deplorable as a commentator, but Gilbert still takes the cake.

SLD76
01-19-2011, 07:36 AM
Eh...its hard for me to completely divorce Jmac's off court antics from his commentary.

I mean FFS, I was watching world team tennis on my cable provider, and he flipped out over a line call in a doubles match, and then basically quit the match, leaving his partner hanging. World Team Tennis, FFS!

If that isnt toolage of the highest degree, I dont know what is.

cknobman
01-19-2011, 08:07 AM
Chris Fowlmouth is the GOAT of tennis tools/fools.

Sentinel
01-19-2011, 08:25 AM
what's wrong with Blake ? have i missed something ?

Sid_Vicious
01-19-2011, 08:30 AM
what's wrong with Blake ? have i missed something ?
Nothing. People are just kicking a man while he is already down.

And here is the number 1 tool in tennis:

http://im.in.com/connect/images/profile/b_profile2/Daniel_Koellerer_300.jpg

Totai
01-19-2011, 08:44 AM
The biigest tool is the racquet. You can argue that a tennis bag is a bigger tool, but I see it more as an accessory than a tool

skip1969
01-19-2011, 09:01 AM
brad gilbert. forever crashing the party and drinking up all the free beer. complete and utter tool.

IvanYentl
01-19-2011, 09:06 AM
Chris Fowlmouth is the GOAT of tennis tools/fools.

I find myself wondering more and more if Fowler plays tennis at all, or if he just spends his extra time painting the town with Herbie.

johnnymacfan
01-19-2011, 09:07 AM
brad gilbert. forever crashing the party and drinking up all the free beer. complete and utter tool.

Truer words were never spoken.

fuzz nation
01-19-2011, 10:10 AM
You guys have really short memories... or I'm gettin' pretty crusty. How 'bout the ignorant racist, Lleyton Hewitt? Ironically, he tipped his hand a number of years back in a match against the aforementioned James Blake. Pretty sure it was the US Open. I refuse to respect that guy... ever. B-A-D!

Fowler - got to admit he's been rubbing me the wrong way. In my case, that's rather significant, since I prefer to not sweat the small stuff when I can. He's earned some borderline weenie status with some of his comments and interviewing, though.

Roddick - I've seen worse. Sometimes I just think he needs to switch to decaf. Then again, you're all welcome to peel my coffee pot from my cold, dead hands!!!

Gilbert - I think he's just guilty of having a personality. Keep that in mind the next time you see Jim Courier doing commentary. As for BG, I say don't sweat the small stuff. Take him or leave him.

li0scc0
01-19-2011, 10:14 AM

1 - James Blake. Please formally retire. He's becoming the Brett Favre of tennis - only less successful. Brett has filed his paperwork with

2 - Darren Cahill. Just shut up already. He can be insightful, but talks way too much and often goes off on tangents that he knows nothing about. The sad part is, Chris Fowler (who's great for college football) goes right along with him and they both end up sounding like idiots.

3 - Brad Gilbert. I think he wins the Tool Award hands down. What an annoying little jerk. Hey Brad: Enough with the Metallica cap, butchering players names, and snappy lingo that you picked up from your 12 year old. Maybe the biggest d-bag in ANY sport right now.

Thoughts?

Brad Gilbert #1
Mats Wilander #2
Luke Jensen #3

li0scc0
01-19-2011, 10:16 AM
Nothing. People are just kicking a man while he is already down.

And here is the number 1 tool in tennis:

http://im.in.com/connect/images/profile/b_profile2/Daniel_Koellerer_300.jpg

Kip Winger plays tennis?

woody88
01-19-2011, 10:44 AM
1. Pam Shriver

2. Pam Shriver

3. Pam Shriver

aphex
01-19-2011, 10:52 AM
Fedace.

...clearly

killer
01-19-2011, 10:57 AM
How johnnymacfan can include Darren Cahill in his list of 'tools' is ludicrous. The guy coached Agassi through some pretty impressive seasons, and was a potential coach for Federer, though because of time commitments it didn't germinate into an ongoing relationship. How do you argue against two of the best players EVER in Agassi and Federer? Do you really think they'd be interested in hiring 'tools' to take care of their games? As a commentator, Darren is pretty relaxed and doesn't step out on a limb like Gilbert does. Can't see at all how he should be included in this list.

JoelDali
01-19-2011, 10:57 AM
1. Tina

2. Pam Shriver

3. Judy Murray

johnnymacfan
01-19-2011, 11:08 AM
How johnnymacfan can include Darren Cahill in his list of 'tools' is ludicrous. The guy coached Agassi through some pretty impressive seasons, and was a potential coach for Federer, though because of time commitments it didn't germinate into an ongoing relationship. How do you argue against two of the best players EVER in Agassi and Federer? Do you really think they'd be interested in hiring 'tools' to take care of their games? As a commentator, Darren is pretty relaxed and doesn't step out on a limb like Gilbert does. Can't see at all how he should be included in this list.

Is this Darren Cahill defending himself?

As I said in my original post, Cahill does have his good and insightful moments, but (along Fowler and Gilbert) seems to get worse and worse and worse. The broadcast last night with Tipsarevic/Verdasco was deplorable. Always so quick to blame the racquet, shoes, etc on a player's performance. It's never the PLAYER. It's the new shoes, or its the new racquet, when really if the equipment was the problem, the match would have been over in 3 sets at the ATP level. Verdasco's brain was on another planet until 5-4 in the 3rd set last night. Never once did Cahill broach that subject. And to hear Fowler chime in, given that he's likely never played so much as a set of tennis, just makes me cringe.

Gilbert's place atop the list of tools is unquestionable.

killer
01-19-2011, 11:16 AM
So johnnymacfac, you're actually talking about his commentating, not his overall 'being.' Thanks for the clarification. I can agree that there is a certain amount of sensationalizing that goes on in tennis commentary these days, partially funded by Fowler (did anyone catch him at the end of the Federer match egging Cahill to say that, had he lost, it would have reshaped the ENTIRE tennis landscape? Please!) but I think that during the match itself, Cahill does a pretty good job at staying relevant, talking about equipment (which admittedly he won't know everything about) so that all us tennis nuts are getting some answers to post in the 'Gear' section on this forum for debate, and just calling it as he sees it.
I'm not suggesting for an instant that he hasn't missed the mark in some situations, but to call him a tool is ridiculous. He's not flashy or showy a la Gilbert, nor is he complacent and boring.
Best, K

johnnymacfan
01-19-2011, 11:23 AM
So johnnymacfac, you're actually talking about his commentating, not his overall 'being.' Thanks for the clarification. I can agree that there is a certain amount of sensationalizing that goes on in tennis commentary these days, partially funded by Fowler (did anyone catch him at the end of the Federer match egging Cahill to say that, had he lost, it would have reshaped the ENTIRE tennis landscape? Please!) but I think that during the match itself, Cahill does a pretty good job at staying relevant, talking about equipment (which admittedly he won't know everything about) so that all us tennis nuts are getting some answers to post in the 'Gear' section on this forum for debate, and just calling it as he sees it.
I'm not suggesting for an instant that he hasn't missed the mark in some situations, but to call him a tool is ridiculous. He's not flashy or showy a la Gilbert, nor is he complacent and boring.
Best, K

He's a tool. His commentating is a reflection of his personality as a whole in my opinion. A know it all who knows very little (a key trait of a tool), though I do believe that he can offer insightful information from his days riding Agassi's coattails. I'd be interested to hear his thoughts when he's not teamed up with Chris Fowler, as I think they lead each other further down the wrong path, with the help of Brad Gilbert the tennis clown.

pjonesy
01-19-2011, 11:25 AM
If you're going that route (and I wish you wouldn't), I'd say Monfils has everyone beat. Stepanek is pretty amazing with the ladies he pulls though, especially given that grill he's sporting.

You sure jumped all over that one! "I wish you wouldn't!" Yeah, right. Don't try to convince me that you're not responsible for pulling this thread even further into the gutter.

However, good call on the Stepanek grill. Did his mother mate with a fish?

Legend of Borg
01-19-2011, 11:27 AM
BG

Noltae
01-19-2011, 11:27 AM
Whenever Roddick is on T V I have to route for the other guy - his on court demeanor is horrid ..

johnnymacfan
01-19-2011, 11:29 AM
You sure jumped all over that one! "I wish you wouldn't!" Yeah, right. Don't try to convince me that you're not responsible for pulling this thread even further into the gutter.

However, good call on the Stepanek grill. Did his mother mate with a fish?

I was not the originator of that tangent, though I will cop to responding to it. And yes, it does look like his mother mated with a fish. A real ugly fish.

jaggy
01-19-2011, 11:29 AM

Hewitt allegedly.

shermanator12290
01-19-2011, 11:32 AM
grigor dimitrov... tries way to hard to be federer and just ca.. get your own game

vasquez90
01-19-2011, 11:33 AM
Kip Winger plays tennis?

kip winger...look him up. hilarious call.

killer
01-19-2011, 11:33 AM
He's a tool. His commentating is a reflection of his personality as a whole in my opinion. A know it all who knows very little (a key trait of a tool), though I do believe that he can offer insightful information from his days riding Agassi's coattails. I'd be interested to hear his thoughts when he's not teamed up with Chris Fowler, as I think they lead each other further down the wrong path, with the help of Brad Gilbert the tennis clown.

Well JMF, tennis commentators get the chance to do so based on a few variables: previous tennis success; previous coaching success; and being the general sports commentator for a network. Which category does Cahill fall in to? Yup, a coach with RIDICULOUS levels of success. 'Riding coattails'? Please. Cahill was a player, then a coach for one of the all-time greats, then became a commentator. I think he knows wherof he speaks. I'll agree with you that it would be nice to see him teamed with someone who would just let the game unfold without loading it up and dumbing it down a la Fowler. But he doesn't say boneheaded things on a regular basis, and tries to keep the commentary where it should be.

The_Question
01-19-2011, 11:38 AM
All the names have listed are pretty much dead on...but I can't believe nobody ever mentioned Dick Enberg!!

li0scc0
01-19-2011, 11:38 AM
kip winger...look him up. hilarious call.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlN3oEjMpUQ

Kip is the one singing and pretending to play the bass.

Scientist
01-19-2011, 11:48 AM
What I can say about Cahill is that he is a pretty arrogant guy. I mean who has "Killer" as a freaking nickname? Anyone notice that he kept cutting off other commentators and flat-out ignoring comments? You can sense some tension between them. And the comment he made about the WTF not "counting" as a tennis match was probably the most bizarre thing I've ever heard.

Fowler is just a grade-A lame-O with a .4% knowledge of tennis at best.

Enberg is a disturbing old man who needs to go away. He *never* uses correct vocabulary for some reason. If I hear him say "delicious" to describe something one more time, I am literally going to throw my remote at the TV.

johnnymacfan
01-19-2011, 11:56 AM
All the names have listed are pretty much dead on...but I can't believe nobody ever mentioned Dick Enberg!!

I am stunned that i did not inlcude Enberg on this list...The constant butchering of names, and the ever present "terre battue" references in EVERY single tournament (whether on clay or not) has me making sure that I keep a trash can very close to my chair when watching any match that's calling.

killer
01-19-2011, 12:02 PM
Hey Scientist: I have 'killer' as a nickname, and it was given to me by my coach when i was 14. Hence my online moniker. I'm now 35, but it seems to have stuck. Nothing wrong with it :)

The_Question
01-19-2011, 12:07 PM
I hate to name this person, but Bud Collins should stop and retire...the man is old and senile. When asked a question by other commentators, he talks about everything but the topic it was asked...

johnnymacfan
01-19-2011, 12:16 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlN3oEjMpUQ

Kip is the one singing and pretending to play the bass.

Kip : Music :: Fowler : Tennis

Fed Kennedy
01-19-2011, 12:24 PM
Have to disagree with all the brad gilbert hating on here. BG is awesome. I love his enthusiasm, he's so stoked on every matchup and he has great credentials.

pjonesy
01-19-2011, 02:04 PM
I was not the originator of that tangent, though I will cop to responding to it. And yes, it does look like his mother mated with a fish. A real ugly fish.

Yeah, I'm sure someone else started it. I'm not holding you responsible.

I have to say, Stepanek is a pretty good tennis playing fish/man!

Lsmkenpo
01-19-2011, 02:26 PM
As for players, Haas was/is a notoriously mean guy and Roddick is a bit of a tool as well in terms of arrogance and meanness.

Tommy Haas has a fiery temper but he isn't exactly mean,
off the court he is one of the most cordial pros you will meet.

Oceansize
01-19-2011, 02:34 PM
The king of all tools has to be Andy Murray. Or is it just so obvious, nobody even feels the need to mention it? In his first round against Beck he was two sets up but struggling to finish the match quickly because of his counter punching tendancies, so decides to start dropping F-bombs like they're going out of fashion. He also c'mons every unforced error, and just acts like a huge tool in general on court. Surely Murray is the GTOAT.

pjonesy
01-19-2011, 05:48 PM
The king of all tools has to be Andy Murray. Or is it just so obvious, nobody even feels the need to mention it? In his first round against Beck he was two sets up but struggling to finish the match quickly because of his counter punching tendancies, so decides to start dropping F-bombs like they're going out of fashion. He also c'mons every unforced error, and just acts like a huge tool in general on court. Surely Murray is the GTOAT.

Murray is annoying. Because of his, defensive style, negative attitude, boring personality etc...... What makes him the biggest tool, is when he used to pull up his sleeves and flex his biceps. It made me want to see him in an NFL uniform making punt returns on Sunday, with the fair catch rule not in effect. Oh, and without a helmet.

cc0509
01-19-2011, 06:14 PM
Pam Shriver beats them all. I can't stand her.

Shriver can be annoying but Brad Gilbert is worse by light years!

cc0509
01-19-2011, 06:16 PM
In terms of tennis players I think Andy Roddick is a tool. Just don't like his berating behavior.

cc0509
01-19-2011, 06:19 PM
Enberg is a disturbing old man who needs to go away. He *never* uses correct vocabulary for some reason. If I hear him say "delicious" to describe something one more time, I am literally going to throw my remote at the TV.

Endberg is ok. He can be annoying but he has been around forever in tennis. He seems like a sweet guy.
He does look like a muppet though! :)

Winner_DownTheLine
01-19-2011, 06:30 PM
did anyone catch Cliff Drysdale call P-Mac on his B.S. during the Querrey match?

Cliff Drysdale is so thoroughly awesome and P-Mac is just :lol:

Also, Mary Carillo is a big tool.

Can you tell me what happened between P-mac and Cliff? Thanks!

johnnymacfan
01-19-2011, 08:16 PM
Another to add to the toolbox: Vince Spadea.

Legend of Borg
01-19-2011, 08:19 PM
Tomic or BG?

Both are "tool worthy".

Blade0324
01-19-2011, 08:54 PM
I actually like BG a lot!!! I find him to be one of the most current and insightful commentators in tennis. The others, especially Martina and both J mac and P mac all just long for the "good ol days" with wood racquets and S&V boring crap tennis. They are not relevant to the current game and BG at least recognizes that the game has changed and evolved.

Oceansize
01-20-2011, 10:30 AM
Murray is annoying. Because of his, defensive style, negative attitude, boring personality etc...... What makes him the biggest tool, is when he used to pull up his sleeves and flex his biceps. It made me want to see him in an NFL uniform making punt returns on Sunday, with the fair catch rule not in effect. Oh, and without a helmet.

LOL good one. I remember him doing that to answer the critics who said he wasn't fit enough to win a five setter, but unfortunately, like you said it just came across like he was a mega tool. The best part was when Will Ferrell was in the crowd, and when the camera went on him, he got his guns out and started kissing them, and generally just took the **** out of Murray.

ksbh
01-20-2011, 10:31 AM
Venus Williams & Serena Williams ... and their useless Dad as well!

pjonesy
01-20-2011, 12:29 PM
LOL good one. I remember him doing that to answer the critics who said he wasn't fit enough to win a five setter, but unfortunately, like you said it just came across like he was a mega tool. The best part was when Will Ferrell was in the crowd, and when the camera went on him, he got his guns out and started kissing them, and generally just took the **** out of Murray.

I don't remember seeing that, but I wish I would have. Will Ferrell rocks!

[d]ragon
01-20-2011, 12:39 PM
I'm surprised no one's mentioned Crazy Dani*

Datacipher
01-20-2011, 01:25 PM
The Williams, Baghdatis, Djokovic, Fish, P. Mac

Honorable mention: Blake, Federer

tangerine
01-20-2011, 01:39 PM
The tool to end all tools: Almagro.

aldekeuk
01-20-2011, 01:50 PM
Gimbelslob... hands down

Bobby Jr
01-20-2011, 04:33 PM
The tool to end all tools: Almagro.
That's so weird you say that. He does look quite hard-nosed.. I saw him play (in Auckland) a week ago and then by total fluke was on the same flight as him to Australia the next day. I chatted to him before we boarded and he seemed a totally regular guy. He made some good cracks about others sports and stuff you'd think a touring player wouldn't even bother knowing about (including NZ's unbeaten run at the soccer world cup). He even offered an unprompted hand-shake and pleasant farewell when I saw him again debarking the plane.

I can't really complain about his demeanour or vibe after that.

cc0509
01-20-2011, 04:36 PM
Gimbelslob... hands down

Oh yes, forgot about him. He is a moron too.

Sid_Vicious
01-20-2011, 05:19 PM
The Williams, Baghdatis, Djokovic, Fish, P. Mac

Honorable mention: Blake, Federer

Federer and Baghdatis? What is so wrong about them?

johnnymacfan
01-20-2011, 05:47 PM
Oh yes, forgot about him. He is a moron too.

Gimelstob is great great addition to this list. I'm surprised it took 4 pages for his name to come up. Great call.

Sentinel
01-20-2011, 09:03 PM
Venus Williams & Serena Williams ... and their useless Dad as well!
ksbh, we are not talking about tools literally, the thread does not refer to the anatomical meaning!!!

HackersRUs
01-20-2011, 09:25 PM
lol @ johnnymacfan.. 'A know all who knows nothing'?
You talking about Darren Cahill or yourself?

The guy has some cred for his coachnig, sure, but he was a top 25 singles player and made a slam semi, so I suspect he knows at least a bit!

you sir, are a twat...

Ambivalent
01-20-2011, 09:31 PM
Any Spanish tennis players in a match against Nadal.
Davydenko is also Federer's draw filler tool.

cknobman
01-20-2011, 09:50 PM
Gimbelslob... hands down

LOL you are so right.

Speaking of this boob have you seen his new Babolat commercial on TTC?

Tooltastic!!!!!!

Seany
01-20-2011, 10:01 PM
I guess you guys in the states have never seen this particular TOOL be a tennis "analyst" or even worse a "commentator".

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you, the biggest TOOL that has ever graced my TV screen:

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00433/snf1123greg_280_433928a.jpg

Datacipher
01-20-2011, 11:02 PM
I guess you guys in the states have never seen this particular TOOL be a tennis "analyst" or even worse a "commentator".

Ladies and Gentlemen, I present to you, the biggest TOOL that has ever graced my TV screen:

http://img.thesun.co.uk/multimedia/archive/00433/snf1123greg_280_433928a.jpg

YOU WIN without a DOUBT. Good call.

CityTennis22
01-21-2011, 07:23 AM
I was watching Sportscenter this morning and they were talking about the dead spot at Hisense Arena during Sharapova's match and they went to the Tournament Desk at the Aussie Open where Gilbert was interviewing Roddick about it and BG is like Yeah, I know how to do that. You just have to drill down then stand on the spot to stamp out the air pocket. Roddick goes I didn't even think you could fix breakfast. How do you know how to do that? Gilbert says, I have a court at home. It's just a little tool I know. Then they go back to the ESPN desk and Josh Elliot says That's not the only tool I know. I almost fell over laughing.

ksbh
01-21-2011, 08:18 AM
Careful now, else before long Jamesblakefan#1 will be here accusing you of being racist!

ksbh, we are not talking about tools literally, the thread does not refer to the anatomical meaning!!!

Nadalfan89
01-21-2011, 08:28 AM
Roger Federer

forthegame
01-21-2011, 08:29 AM
The beauty of this thread is that it's so subjective that EVERYONE's right.

My tool is most certainly not your tool and we both think ours is the biggest - world at peace!

Sentinel
01-21-2011, 08:30 PM
^^ Its such a nuisance. I think the world would be at peace without it.

p.s. oh i see a big tool is back from a ban !

Murrayfan31
01-21-2011, 08:34 PM
Roger Federer
+1 Definitely.

MrFlip
01-21-2011, 11:42 PM
Me

I the always am I

SusanDK
01-22-2011, 12:28 AM
Biggest Tool in Tennis:

#1 Men - Brad Gilbert

#1 Women - Mary Carillo

And their longevity is amazing. They both started annoying the hell out of me in the 80's and they are both entering their 4th decade of annoying behavior.

SuperDuy
01-22-2011, 02:02 PM
biggest tool is the op.

meltphace 6
01-22-2011, 02:13 PM
Biggest tool outside tennis? Nadalfan89.

kishnabe
01-22-2011, 02:49 PM
Roger Federer

This X1000, Roger Federer has the most tools in his aresenal to beat everyone!

Gaudio2004
01-22-2011, 02:53 PM

Thoughts?

1. James Blake has had a fairly successful career - dropping out of the best university in the world (if I am correct?) to pursue a tennis career was a very, very bold move, how can you not appreciate that? Blake has had a great career - over $ 6 million earned, why should he retire if he's going to earn more?

2. That's his job - his commentary may be annoying, but remember tennis is viewed by different perspectives, some find his opinions very helpful if they are new to watching tennis or do not understand a lot; some take rapport in identifying in issues with a commentator, making him more likeable.

3. Have you read Brad Gilbert's book "Winning Ugly" ?

Why so much hate for these people? They've done nothing to you - you don't even know them that well.