PDA

View Full Version : Kardashianation

El Diablo
01-19-2011, 08:04 AM
Has it come to this? When I was growing up the grocery store tabloids were sprinkled with stories about Liz Taylor, Richard Burton drunk again, Sammy Davis, Johnny Carson and so on. Garbage, but at least these were all very talented people. The same tabloids, and nearly every day of internet service home page, are now littered with stories about people whose only claim to fame seems to be a successful attorney father and tent-city implants. What happened?

r2473
01-19-2011, 08:12 AM
Before you look at that stuff again, (re)-read every book on this list. That should cure YOUR mind of this rot.

Leave others to do as they please:

http://www.thebest100lists.com/best100novels/

jmverdugo
01-19-2011, 08:26 AM
Awesome list! and how amazing is that there are 2 books by Gabriel Garcia Marquez! there should be more though ...

On topic, I have to agree with El Diablo, the U.S. of A need to really start thinking about their role models, the Reality TV Shows is really starting to make a hole in the culture, how come people can actually see a show about a Born Rich Good for Nothing woman finding her new best friend, or a bunch of school drop outs with a $500 tanning, too much gel on their heads and rip abs, how come there isn't any reality show about how to become and engineer or My way to my MBA, or something like that... talking about evading the reality.

r2473
01-19-2011, 08:32 AM
You may not realize it, but by "engaging" you are part of the culture you criticize. In fact, I have a greater disrespect for people who pay attention to this garbage for the purpose of looking down on the unnamed masses. You are actually no better...you are not superior.

If you really want to be superior, actively engage in superior habits. If you don't like my idea of reading classic literature (or if my 1 second google search didn't produce a full quality list), then find your own quality entertainments.

To approach pop-culture with a good conscience is to avoid pop-culture. And avoidance of pop-culture isn't criticizing it. It is actively engaging in quality pursuits.

You aren't going to change the world. But, you can influence the people that you love and care about by engaging in quality habits and instilling that in those around you. If you do this, you won't have time for much else and this type of garbage will just fade away from your consciousness.

Most importantly, you can form good habits and live a quality life yourself.

I'll get "flamed" for this rant, but I can speak these words with a very clear conscience.

jmverdugo
01-19-2011, 08:46 AM
^^ I am not sure if this is directed to me but, honestly, I really liked that list, I actually printed and saved it.

On the other hand I am not trying to be superior, I am not better than the ones that watch those shows, but that doesn't mean that the shows are good or I can't have a saying about them. I see the effect they have in some people, I am not going to go and stop them on watching TV nor give them a lecture about literature, but if somebody brings the topic I can for sure air my opinion and of course I could also be wrong too...

r2473
01-19-2011, 08:52 AM
I just think about it differently I guess.

Forge good habits for yourself. Surround yourself with "good", "quality" people. Try to influence others by example. Ignore that which doesn't interest or concern you. And understand that ignoring it isn't criticizing it.....instead it is replacing it with something better. More of an "active" criticism in my view. More difficult to do. No instant gratification. You eventually learn to be more self-satisfied. Forge your own benchmarks for success and failure. You don't need the (empty) approbation of "acquaintances". You don't need to find others to look down on to lift yourself up.

El Diablo
01-19-2011, 11:31 AM
You're being disingenuous about this. I pay too much attention to it?? What else is there to look at while waiting on a grocery line? I don't go looking for this stuff, it jumps out at me. Likewise logging onto the computer, this "news" is the first thing I see. Beyond that, if you don't notice the rot in your culture, you're just not a good observer. If I was purchasing this stuff, you'd have a point that I was complicit.

r2473
01-19-2011, 11:44 AM
You're being disingenuous about this. if you don't notice the rot in your culture, you're just not a good observer.

I'm fine with this.

To sound even more like a pompous ***, Heidegger educated me on "gerede" and I am quite thankful. His explanation or perhaps better elucidation of this phenomena is interesting.

The following link really does nothing to explain the concept.

http://books.google.com/books?id=zFEZ2cWev5gC&pg=PA30&lpg=PA30&dq=heidegger+gerede&source=bl&ots=G1lt79be7l&sig=owLa0RHUKjT1nZrjEr3K6Evqmlc&hl=en&ei=X003TbKWO4GqsAPHzcCrAw&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=5&ved=0CDgQ6AEwBA#v=onepage&q=heidegger%20gerede&f=false

atatu
01-19-2011, 11:53 AM
When you guys have kids you won't have time to watch TV anymore, so don't sweat it.

Manus Domini
01-19-2011, 12:20 PM
You may not realize it, but by "engaging" you are part of the culture you criticize. In fact, I have a greater disrespect for people who pay attention to this garbage for the purpose of looking down on the unnamed masses. You are actually no better...you are not superior.

If you really want to be superior, actively engage in superior habits. If you don't like my idea of reading classic literature (or if my 1 second google search didn't produce a full quality list), then find your own quality entertainments.

To approach pop-culture with a good conscience is to avoid pop-culture. And avoidance of pop-culture isn't criticizing it. It is actively engaging in quality pursuits.

You aren't going to change the world. But, you can influence the people that you love and care about by engaging in quality habits and instilling that in those around you. If you do this, you won't have time for much else and this type of garbage will just fade away from your consciousness.

Most importantly, you can form good habits and live a quality life yourself.

I'll get "flamed" for this rant, but I can speak these words with a very clear conscience.

Well, when your President thinks it is good to have rappers as part of an iPod, you have to think a little about society

You claim wisdom, here is some of Plato's: "The price a good man pays by not participating in politics is to be ruled by evil men." Well, replace politics with ethical discussion, and there you go.

The kids in my class are anti-ethics. Like most teenagers, women have become games to them, morals are useless, and "I wish I could F*** that hot sexy celebrity" is a common occurance. If you want to oppose popular culture you shouldn't ignore it

pepka
01-19-2011, 01:00 PM
My super sweet 16, farmer wants a wife, Midget something, Logan something, Stewart something, Hilton something happend. Too much time on young people hands. Not to mention wayyyy to much money and no talent what-so-ever. Sad to see what people watch/read these days

Manus Domini
01-19-2011, 01:16 PM
Wasn't Marilyn Monroe considered the dumb blonde though she read voraciously?

r2473
01-19-2011, 01:24 PM
If you want to oppose popular culture you shouldn't ignore it

What do you propose?

Sorry, I see you talk about "the kids in your class". For your age, you definitely have things right.

El Diablo
01-19-2011, 01:37 PM
Marilyn Monroe was considered a dumb blond in the same sense Colbert is considered an arch conservative -- both were known to be playing a role.

El Diablo
01-19-2011, 01:43 PM
(note -- the other blond bombshell of Monroe's era, Jayne Mansfield, was often said to have had an IQ of 163 but, per the fashion, acted a little dopey in her public appearances)

heycal
01-19-2011, 03:50 PM
Where is the evidence that Monroe was not a dumb blonde? Marrying Arthur Miller doesn't qualify.

Manus Domini
01-19-2011, 04:11 PM
Where is the evidence that Monroe was not a dumb blonde? Marrying Arthur Miller doesn't qualify.

Reading Oedipus Rex, the Odyssey, and other classics does, however.

@r-some numbers I won't bother spelling out: I propose we find a way to fight against the immorality no matter how lopsided the battle is against us. Isn't that what it really means to be good? To go against evil no matter the odds?

r2473
01-19-2011, 05:17 PM
^^ Better yourself first. That should keep you busy.

You can "help" others later.

Manus Domini
01-19-2011, 05:21 PM
or work at the same time to better yourself and others

r2473
01-19-2011, 05:26 PM
Sounds like you'll have your hands full. I can barely find time and energy enough for myself and those close to me, let alone complete strangers.

Manus Domini
01-19-2011, 05:31 PM
Pay it forward, even charity helps others

heycal
01-19-2011, 05:56 PM
Reading Oedipus Rex, the Odyssey, and other classics does, however.

What is your source for this? This sounds like the kind of thing a PR agent would dream up.

tricky
01-19-2011, 06:08 PM
Pay it forward, even charity helps others

Yup. Serve to lead.

Kobble
01-19-2011, 11:02 PM
Sadly, I think this junk is propaganda. You can try to ignore it, but the fact that everyone on here knows all the names discussed without asking, "Who?" Tells me there is a problem. I know names of people I couldn't pick out of a lineup. Just because every time I walk by the damn tv I hear their name over 20 times in a week. Nobody really likes the people but they stick around. I'll give the population the benefit of the doubt; I don't think they secretly like it. Who am I to believe when a lemon is sold, the dealer or the buyer? They are just shameless hustlers. Same as all the supplement peddlers, strength gurus (who never coached an Olympic weightlifter), infomercial (slap chop) clowns, and any other pitch man or woman. Anything for a buck to keep their lifestyle alive.

I'll admit it, I've been worked in my lifetime. I listened to Vanilla Ice, MC Hammer, Mili Vanili and other hacks. Bought some protein powders, and other "steroid alternatives" in my teens. I try to ignore that junk, but I will voice my opinion on the matter in an effort to keep it in perspective. Somebody has to call it out. I believe like the old saying, the only thing necessary for evil to triumph is for good men to do nothing.

jamesblakefan#1
01-19-2011, 11:13 PM
I think this article sums up what the Kardashians do.

Kardashian Magazine Covers: Years Of Weight Loss & Bikinis

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2010/05/30/kardashian-magazine-cover_n_589467.html#s93505&title=undefined

Also to quote Joel McHale, Kim is only famous for having "a big ***** and a sex tape".

r2473
01-20-2011, 07:32 AM
I'll admit it, I've been worked in my lifetime. I listened to Vanilla Ice, MC Hammer, Mili Vanili and other hacks. Bought some protein powders, and other "steroid alternatives" in my teens.

Those men are all brilliant artists. Geniuses.

And you will never get swole wit-out da celltech my friend.

Word to your mother.

tricky
01-20-2011, 08:57 AM
Those men are all brilliant artists. Geniuses.

Blame it on the rain. Milli were practically shaman!!

And you will never get swole wit-out da celltech my friend.

My Anaconda Protocol don't want none unless you got buns hun!!