PDA

View Full Version : Roddick Match - only slices

BMC9670
01-19-2011, 11:58 AM
I watched Roddick's AO second rounder last night and in the set and a half I watched, I could count on one had the number two hand topspin backhands he hit. Seems the slice was the only thing he hit. Didn't seem offensive at all. Is this his new style? Big serve then play defense from behind the baseline? I used to like his aggressive style, but it was a bit boring last night.

aceX
01-19-2011, 12:02 PM
I watched Roddick's AO second rounder last night and in the set and a half I watched, I could count on one had the number two hand topspin backhands he hit. Seems the slice was the only thing he hit. Didn't seem offensive at all. Is this his new style? Big serve then play defense from behind the baseline? I used to like his aggressive style, but it was a bit boring last night.

This is modern tennis

BMC9670
01-19-2011, 12:05 PM
This is modern tennis

Hmm, Fed seems to be doing just the opposite: playing more aggressive and trying to move forward, finish at the net more.

li0scc0
01-19-2011, 12:07 PM
There is a local 3.5 woman who is athletic, but is a defensive slicer. My wife calls her 'the slicer' (not terribly original, sorry babe!). Anyway, my wife wanted to watch Roddick last night, and after less than 10 minutes she said "can we watch something else, this is like watching 'the slicer' play!".

Djokovicfan4life
01-19-2011, 12:09 PM
Is this his new style?

It's been his style for quite some time now.

aceX
01-19-2011, 12:29 PM
Hmm, Fed seems to be doing just the opposite: playing more aggressive and trying to move forward, finish at the net more.

Yeah he's about the only one though. He's also the second best clay courter of this era... go figure. He's basically exhausted his baseline game so now he's working on the net.

Look at the top 10:
Rafael Nadal
Roger Federer
Novak Djokovic
Robin Söderling
Andy Murray
TomᚠBerdych
David Ferrer
Andy Roddick
Fernando Verdasco
Mikhail Youzhny

How many come to the net regularly?

Bryan Swartz
01-19-2011, 12:32 PM
A number of them don't hit defensively as a matter of course from the baseline though.

Djokovicfan4life
01-19-2011, 12:33 PM
^^^^^^^^^^^ Being offensive isn't just about coming to the net. Nadal, Federer, Djokovic, Soderling, Berdych, and Verdasco all play offensively with big groundstrokes that construct the point from the back of the court.

aceX
01-19-2011, 12:35 PM
A number of them don't hit defensively as a matter of course from the baseline though.

But they don't try to hit a winner off every ball, do they? Staying at the baseline demands a level of defensiveness. Even if a player goes for a winner on every 5th ball they're still being defensive 80% of the time.

Djokovicfan4life
01-19-2011, 12:36 PM
So offense = hitting a winner--- everything else is defense.

Got it.

BMC9670
01-19-2011, 12:36 PM

Right. I'm wondering why the slice. Is it more accurate than his two-hander? Give him more time to recover? Harder for the other player to be offensive? You do see a lot of guys stay back, but many hit two-handers more than slice, including the Roddick of a couple years ago. Guess I'm just wondering what the thought is behind the change.

Max G.
01-19-2011, 12:38 PM
This is modern tennis

No, not really. If anything, it's a throwback - modern tennis is about dictating with topspin, not playing defensive with slice.

Bryan Swartz
01-19-2011, 12:51 PM
But they don't try to hit a winner off every ball, do they? Staying at the baseline demands a level of defensiveness. Even if a player goes for a winner on every 5th ball they're still being defensive 80% of the time.

Not necessarily. Some shots are designed to try to create an opportunity for a winner. That would still be offensive tennis. Defensive tennis is not about creating an opportunity for a winner, it's about outlasting the other guy and goading them into an error.

I'm wondering why the slice. Is it more accurate than his two-hander?

Roddick's slice has always been better than his two-hander. The two-hander has improved, but his slice is very good even by ATP standards. It's definitely his best BH shot and always has been.

As for why the change ... I honestly think he's just more comfortable playing that way. It's more difficult for him, mentally, to be in attack mode. He's at his best when he's going after the two-hander and hitting a flatter forehand, but he doesn't like to play that way. He likes to defend and stand way behind the baseline. Only when he's really focused(i.e., 2009 Wimbledon, 2007 USO vs. Federer, IW last year against Nadal) does he really go for it. I wish he'd play more aggressively, but I think it's obvious he prefers a more defensive style.

NoleDjoko
01-19-2011, 12:57 PM

And they put him on Rod laver Arena

AndyArodRoddick
01-19-2011, 01:05 PM
And they put him on Rod laver Arena

Well he is more popular in Australia than your boy, Djoker.

tacou
01-19-2011, 01:21 PM

you obviously haven't seen roddick play in the last 4 or so years...

also, he won in easy straights so I doubt he cares how boring it looks

bolo
01-19-2011, 01:25 PM
There is a local 3.5 woman who is athletic, but is a defensive slicer. My wife calls her 'the slicer' (not terribly original, sorry babe!). Anyway, my wife wanted to watch Roddick last night, and after less than 10 minutes she said "can we watch something else, this is like watching 'the slicer' play!".

lol. 10 char. :)

jdubbs
01-19-2011, 01:26 PM
Playing against a deep slice is hard if you're a typical pro, it upsets their timing and rhythm and they have to generate all the pace.

I personally hate playing slicers because of this.

BMC9670
01-19-2011, 01:31 PM
you obviously haven't seen roddick play in the last 4 or so years...

also, he won in easy straights so I doubt he cares how boring it looks

Easy, there. Watch him every chance I get, and thought it was more slice than usual last night. I like Roddick. I'm not dissing him. I think it's amazing how long he has stayed top 10. Maybe he was "saving" it for later rounds. Not sure he can play that way in the later rounds against tougher players. I'd like to see him go after it more. We'll see.

Underhand
01-19-2011, 01:55 PM

Both RodDick and Đoković are clowns with one fluke GS.

jdubbs
01-19-2011, 02:15 PM

Troll, troll, troll your boat.

aceX
01-19-2011, 02:22 PM
No, not really. If anything, it's a throwback - modern tennis is about dictating with topspin, not playing defensive with slice.

Umm yeah I guess you didn't see which part I highlighted.

aceX
01-19-2011, 02:25 PM
Not necessarily. Some shots are designed to try to create an opportunity for a winner. That would still be offensive tennis. Defensive tennis is not about creating an opportunity for a winner, it's about outlasting the other guy and goading them into an error.

Yeah I agree with you. The OP kind of defined slice = defense even though it can be used as a set up. So within this thread I thought we were talking in terms of set up shots being included in 'defensive'

Andyroddickfan
01-19-2011, 02:31 PM

LOL, coming from the worst poster on the board.

kishnabe
01-19-2011, 02:35 PM
Roddick is just jealous of petz!

BMC9670
01-19-2011, 02:47 PM
Yeah I agree with you. The OP kind of defined slice = defense even though it can be used as a set up. So within this thread I thought we were talking in terms of set up shots being included in 'defensive'

Yes, that's what I didn't see much of. He seems content to slice in a defensive manner and want to outlast the other guy. He didn't really use it to set up anything and attack much. During the replay of points, there seemed to opportunities where one would think he would move forward and start to dictate more, that's all.

aceX
01-19-2011, 03:09 PM
Hmm well I wonder how deep he'll get playing like that.

SuperDuy
01-19-2011, 03:13 PM

What a troll.

NoleDjoko
01-19-2011, 03:14 PM

Yeah but he is so entertaining to watch

SuperDuy
01-19-2011, 03:14 PM

And how many sets did it take Roger beat his opponent compared to Arod's 3.

coloskier
01-19-2011, 08:36 PM
Right. I'm wondering why the slice. Is it more accurate than his two-hander? Give him more time to recover? Harder for the other player to be offensive? You do see a lot of guys stay back, but many hit two-handers more than slice, including the Roddick of a couple years ago. Guess I'm just wondering what the thought is behind the change.

He hits the slice because it is very hard for the opponent to hit an offensive return off of a good slice.

coloskier
01-19-2011, 08:37 PM
And how many sets did it take Roger beat his opponent compared to Arod's 3.

Roddick was playing basically a qualifier and Fed was playing a former #6 just now recovering from injury. Big difference between the two.

Tyrus
01-19-2011, 08:47 PM
I did not see the match, but Roddick and Slice BH are becoming very close friends.

He's been working in the slice since starting with Stefanki.

In fact Stefanki believes in the slice as a primary BH as a way to set up the drive.

At least thats what the guy who ran a tournament i played in said, so there's my source.

Cfidave
01-20-2011, 05:18 AM
Hmm well I wonder how deep he'll get playing like that.

To the quarters and then out. His draw is about as good as it gets until then. His current style of play is way to defensive to work against any of the top guys. His best slam result in 2010 was a quarter final result, partly due to his lack of offense against the better players.

Cooper_Tecnifibre4
01-20-2011, 05:22 AM
Yeah he's about the only one though. He's also the second best clay courter of this era... go figure. He's basically exhausted his baseline game so now he's working on the net.

Look at the top 10:
Rafael Nadal
Roger Federer
Novak Djokovic
Robin Söderling
Andy Murray
TomᚠBerdych
David Ferrer
Andy Roddick
Fernando Verdasco
Mikhail Youzhny

How many come to the net regularly?

You might be on to something there.

Pidgeon
01-20-2011, 05:37 AM

are you married to marat safin ?

salsainglesa
01-20-2011, 05:42 AM
I always found Roddick boring to watch, ugly strokes, ugly volleys, and nothing more than banging serves and making faces of disgustment.
But thats just me.

Modern tennis is about baseline sadly... I like the volley and the tactical variety. The best players are great tacticians, but choose to stay behind, they play to their strengths I guess... sighs

Underhand
01-20-2011, 05:45 AM
What a troll.

Couldn't handle the truth, Rodtard?