PDA

View Full Version : What is it with all this fast and frenetic play??

forthegame
01-19-2011, 03:38 PM
Why are all these girls playing like this? Everyone is going at 100mph and it's so meh.

The girl playing Clijsters now, for instance, why doesn't she mix it up? Slow the pace down. Take some heat off and drop the ball short, make her run forward instead of side to side along the baseline?

Slice everything to slow down the pace, throw in some moonballs, c'mon!!!

flyinghippos101
01-19-2011, 03:41 PM
Spoke too soon, she hit a slice!

forthegame
01-19-2011, 03:44 PM
the last shot hit the net, slowed right down and clijsters dumped her shot into the net! tip, anyone?

forthegame
01-19-2011, 03:45 PM
and again!

forthegame
01-19-2011, 03:46 PM
accidental angles, moonballs and she breaks! TIP, anyone??

TheBoom
01-19-2011, 03:48 PM
Clijsters feeds off that stuff lol :)

Xenakis
01-19-2011, 04:00 PM
Been watching it too. Ball bashing, not very interesting. Impressive consistency and power from Kim, wish I could do it. Not exactly an exciting spectacle unfortunately.

forthegame
01-19-2011, 04:02 PM
Suarez Navarro does have a sweet backhand. Better 1HBH than Henin! So sweet looking.

Pity she's woken up too late. Mix it up dear, mix it up!

Xenakis
01-19-2011, 04:06 PM
Navarro just sliced. Not very well though, Kim hit a winner off it. Credit for trying something different though.

forthegame
01-19-2011, 04:12 PM
Can you believe it? Net play, drop volleys, slice and lobs in the Penneta/Lino match? Hallelujah!

zapvor
01-19-2011, 06:42 PM
ooo so you guys still watch womens tennis?

Praetorian
01-19-2011, 06:50 PM
Are you just reiterating the state of women's tennis for the past couple years?

Blade0324
01-19-2011, 08:11 PM
Suarez Navarro does have a sweet backhand. Better 1HBH than Henin! So sweet looking.

Pity she's woken up too late. Mix it up dear, mix it up!

What, Navarro has a sweet BH. It is weak and just plain hideous looking IMO. I am biased and don't find any 1hbh to look good, but Navarro's is one of the worst clumsy looking things I've seen.

cork_screw
01-19-2011, 10:13 PM
You, have just said what I've been thinking since I started watching women's modern tennis. All these russian and asian women (mainly) but overall it's the entire women's field that you see this crap of "trying" to hit hard but producing a medium/fast pace shot.

You NEVER see any variance in game of spin of any sort and there's absolutely no off pace/speed shots, you don't see girls hitting slice shots or topspin shots. The men's game has evolved, you see Roddick and Nadal now using the slice more and more to throw off speed shots and they never did this before. And whenever an offspeed shot is produced in the women's game (accidentally), the player who made that shot usually wins the game because women can't hit slow/off pace balls. They love hitting those driving balls that are medium pace and no spin. Sometimes you'll see women try to spin the ball but it's more of a loopy shot than topspin.

I sorely miss women's tennis in the 90's. It was more modern and old school where women didn't rely on pace and weren't so one dimensional in how they played. If you played junk to all these WTA players, a lot of them would lose points and sets based on lack of fundamentals and no previous experience say returning/hitting a ball with skidding english or underspin.

The women's game today is very one dimensional, they hit the same height ball and pace every single time. They don't even construct points, they hit directly at the person as hard as they can and hope that the other person will mess up instead of constructing points.

When I saw that one girl play serena when she was injured I was screaming at the computer monitor for her to throw in some drop shots and make serena come forward and use her legs (which she obviously didn't want to do and didn't feel comfortable doing after that pulled muscle). If she comes in, you lob the ball and make her jump for run back to return. Nope, all I saw was the girl hitting direclty to Serena and serena did not have to even run to the ball, the ball came to her and in her wheel barrel zone to strike winners. Girls should start using their heads when playing, they rely too much on having their coach tell them what to do. They should be more independent.

DMan
01-19-2011, 10:21 PM
Women's tennis today = mindless baseline bashing.

And as a sad reminder: Women receive equal prize money as the men in the majors. Equal prize money. Besides making you want to vomit, I hope it inspires everyone to call the ITF now and demand the women give it back.....to fans, sponsors, and to the poor women of this world, who have to use their brains, just to eke out a meager living!

fuzz nation
01-20-2011, 08:20 AM
I think of it as the Martina Hingis appreciation campaign.

Not that I was a huge fan of hers, but she was a crafty all-court standout during the rise of "big babe tennis" where the power baseline game took over (along with the shrieking) and the music died. For now I suppose we have to wait for a new generation of players to come along with more multi-dimensional skill sets who can make use of more of the court.

forthegame, you're not crazy! This is pretty much where the women's game is stuck for now.

Fedex
01-20-2011, 08:22 AM
Why are all these girls playing like this? Everyone is going at 100mph and it's so meh.

The girl playing Clijsters now, for instance, why doesn't she mix it up? Slow the pace down. Take some heat off and drop the ball short, make her run forward instead of side to side along the baseline?

Slice everything to slow down the pace, throw in some moonballs, c'mon!!!

Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder

The youth of today.

forthegame
01-20-2011, 02:48 PM
I was so frustrated watching that match. I can only hope for better..

fuzz nation
01-21-2011, 07:56 AM
Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder

The youth of today.

Many of whom are corrupted by short sighted coaches, etc. that teach the shortest path to success. Players among the next generation who take the time and effort to learn the whole game will snap everyone out of it and get the women's game evolving again.

Until then, we have each other...