PDA

View Full Version : Why cant Petrova win a Grand Slam

NadalAgassi
01-19-2011, 08:15 PM
I find Petrova is a very talented player. She is very powerful, has a very big serve, big weapons off both forehand and backhand, is a pretty good athlete. She has won Premier titles and has beaten everyone in the game multiple times I believe- Serena, Venus, Henin, Clijsters, Sharapova. Why hasnt she won a big title?

She seems to be in that role of dangerous floater but not even real contender.

migi
01-19-2011, 08:18 PM
Mental problems and injuries, I think

NadalAgassi
01-19-2011, 08:20 PM
I remember seeing her play Serena at the 2007 Australian Open. That was one of the most impressive performances I saw from a women outside the big 4 in recent years. She was blowing Serena off the court with aces, service winners, forehand winners, and backhand winners. Then when Serena dug in and raised her game Petrova seemed to just get very nervous and fall apart and lost the match I think after being 6-1, 5-2 or something up.

I also remember Petrova's 2 quarterfinal losses in slams last year to Henin and Dementieva. It looked like she had a good chance of winning both matches but kept screwing up all the important points with stupid errors, even easy overheads in the net sometimes.

I think she is talented enough and has a big enough game to win a slam though.

Scientist
01-19-2011, 08:23 PM
She's not interesting

Tanya
01-19-2011, 08:40 PM
There are plenty of Petrovas in the womens game. Many women have the talents to win Grand Slams, but very few of them have the mentality to maintain a high level of play throughout 7 consecutive matches. Petrova is a dangerous floater because on any given day she can bring a very high level of tennis to the court, however she doesn't do so on a consistent basis.

Ronaldo
01-19-2011, 08:46 PM
She hired Venus and Serena to design her tennis dresses?

SLD76
01-19-2011, 09:00 PM
well for one, she has no fashion sense.

how can she see the ball when she cant see that her outfit is eye-vomit inducing.

Ronaldo
01-19-2011, 09:03 PM
well for one, she has no fashion sense.

how can she see the ball when she cant see that her outfit is eye-vomit inducing.

Venus and Nadia shoulda played dubs just for the outfits.

migi
01-19-2011, 09:07 PM
Venus and Nadia shoulda played dubs just for the outfits.

Nadia's doubles outfit is much better

Maybe she has no fashion sense but knows good how to play volleys.

NadalAgassi
01-20-2011, 09:44 AM
Here are some examples of how well the talented Petrova can play:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZo2dE_qvQA vs Kim last year in Australia
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LWiboZVGGDQ vs Venus last year at Roland Garros

the first half of the video, first set and half vs Serena at 07 Australia before the choke began end of 2nd set:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQ7VcCoMxcE

I wish I could find her performances Henin at the 04 U.S Open and vs Capriati at the 03 French as those were excellent too.

bluetrain4
01-20-2011, 09:47 AM
It's her head. She gets tight, she doesn't rise to the occasion when she has to. She defintely has the physical game to win a Slam.

NadalAgassi
01-20-2011, 09:50 AM
Actually I found a clip of her play at the 2003 French, very impressive too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CY8qVf8j8pI

She also went on a tear going into the French in 2006 including a big win in a Tier 1 final over Henin. I think she was picked by many to win the French that year, some even over Henin. Then flamed out at the French 1st round.

NadalAgassi
01-20-2011, 09:53 AM
Here is the end of her big win over Henin in the Berlin final too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y2UdCmKpPs

Even better was the 2004 U.S Open where she brutally kicked Henin's *** in the round of 16 when many thought Henin was going to win her 2nd slam of the year and reassert herself as the dominant #1 at that time.

rainingaces
01-20-2011, 10:35 AM
I find Petrova is a very talented player. She is very powerful, has a very big serve, big weapons off both forehand and backhand, is a pretty good athlete. She has won Premier titles and has beaten everyone in the game multiple times I believe- Serena, Venus, Henin, Clijsters, Sharapova. Why hasnt she won a big title?

She is like a femaile version of del potro. :)

I hope she can or at least make a final soon. That beatdown 6-0 6-1 she put on kim last year will be in kims mind if they meet next round no doubt.

Underhand
01-20-2011, 11:51 AM
Because she's a mental midget ball basher.

Gorecki
01-20-2011, 12:57 PM
Here is the end of her big win over Henin in the Berlin final too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Y2UdCmKpPs

Even better was the 2004 U.S Open where she brutally kicked Henin's *** in the round of 16 when many thought Henin was going to win her 2nd slam of the year and reassert herself as the dominant #1 at that time.

2004 AMELIA ISLAND, 2009 BEIJING and 2010 MADRID are much more interesting results...

CCNM
01-20-2011, 12:57 PM
It's her head. She gets tight, she doesn't rise to the occasion when she has to. She defintely has the physical game to win a Slam.
This is probably the best answer. Most of the time she wears nice outfits.:)

Joe Pike
01-20-2011, 12:59 PM

She is not good enough.
That she is top 10 now and then is proof for the women's current clown era.

single_handed_champion
01-20-2011, 01:01 PM
Simple. Her head. You should see her get upset at the smallest error when leading by an enormous margin in matches. I even saw her berating herself at 6-0, 5-1 against Clijsters last year!!

She has a great serve, world-class backhand, strong forehand (that can break down, but can be a weapon), excellent net skills and decent athleticism. She was a strong favorite for the 2006 French Open but got injured prior to her 1st round, losing to a Japanese player.

Story of her career: she gets on a bit of a roll, then gets injured. Else, her head prevents her from taking that next step. I always believed her to be the most capable of the Russian brigade, but Sharapova, Myskina, Dementieva, Zvonareva, Safina and Kuznetsova all outshone her.

Jack Romeo
01-20-2011, 06:21 PM
i think physically she is overrated, she is frequently overweight - like monica seles 1996-2002. it's a shame because if she just kept to an ideal weight, she is a fine athlete on par with clijsters or dementieva. but of course, the biggest problem is mental.