PDA

View Full Version : buena ?

15_ounce
01-20-2011, 02:39 AM
I kept hearing Lopez saying something like 'gewena' or gwena when his opponent hit a good winning shot, or even when he himself hit a ball long...

I don't know Spanish. Does he actually say 'buena' / good ?

He also said 'ole' .. what does 'ole' mean?

blackfrido
01-20-2011, 02:59 AM
yes, you are right about BUENA=good.
When his opponent was hitting a winner is like giving thumbs up, on his own mistakes he's probably been sarcastic!
Regarding to OLE we should consider under which conditions he said that. I haven't seen the match.

15_ounce
01-20-2011, 03:46 AM
Thanks for the answers.

Feli said 'Ole !' when his opponent hit a beautiful passing shot winner. So, what does Ole mean? Yeah? or Wow?

batz
01-20-2011, 04:06 AM
Thanks for the answers.

Feli said 'Ole !' when his opponent hit a beautiful passing shot winner. So, what does Ole mean? Yeah? or Wow?

I thinks it's essentially Spanish for 'bravo'.

Underhand
01-20-2011, 04:13 AM
On the other hand I saw Verdasco saying 'puta'.

batz
01-20-2011, 04:22 AM

That's not English for bravo.

blackfrido
01-20-2011, 04:35 AM
Thanks for the answers.

that expression is used in a bullfight = corrida de toros, when the "Torero" avoids to be attacked by the bull. In that moment the crowd says Oleeee

blackfrido
01-20-2011, 04:37 AM

literally translated means "bit.." but in english we'll probably use the word "fuc.."

Pidgeon
01-20-2011, 04:42 AM
literally translated means "bit.." but in english we'll probably use the word "fuc.."

isn't puta more like wh*** ?

and your description of olé could not be more accurate :)

tuk
01-20-2011, 05:00 AM
that's correct in that case "puta" was the equivalent to saying fu*** even though it doesn't literally have the same meaning as f***.
The "Buena" was obviously said in a sarcastic way and is more like "good one (dumbass)".
One of the many times Lopez was talking to himself he also said (after missing an easy put away): "tha's why you are going to lose, 50 times you have missed a shot like that one".
Lopez really played like crap I never liked his style but yesterday he just sucked IMO.
Didn't really liked that Tomic kid either he seemed really full of himself and wasn't impressive at all can't wait for Nadal to kick his ***....good someone new to rot against :) it just makes the matchs more interesting :)

aldeayeah
01-20-2011, 05:06 AM
I kept hearing Lopez saying something like 'gewena' or gwena when his opponent hit a good winning shot, or even when he himself hit a ball long...
In that case he most probably said buena to acknowledge the opponent. Translate it as "good one".

vive le beau jeu !
01-20-2011, 06:16 AM
you can learn a lot of vocabulary listening to fernando...

jwbarrientos
01-20-2011, 06:57 AM
you can learn a lot of vocabulary listening to fernando...

Yeah, French people love him

meg0529
01-20-2011, 07:01 AM

LOL! Rafa was totally rolling with this one against Soderling at Wimbly. It was awesome! <3

blackfrido
01-21-2011, 10:32 AM
isn't puta more like wh*** ?

and your description of olé could not be more accurate :)

yes, you are right! . If you say who.. for instance when you miss a ball in english does not mean anything, right?