PDA

View Full Version : What happened to Nalbandian?

MasturB
01-20-2011, 06:55 AM
I see he retired and got obliterated in his match.

Was he injured or is this another fitness issue with him?

(Not trying to bring out the fat jokes, but I expect they're coming shortly ITT)

adidasman
01-20-2011, 06:58 AM
I see he retired and got obliterated in his match.

Was he injured or is this another fitness issue with him?

(Not trying to bring out the fat jokes, but I expect they're coming shortly ITT)

The ATP site said it was illness that caused him to default.

jwbarrientos
01-20-2011, 06:59 AM
In ARG's media he said "I was empty" meaning no even force to continue, ehausted, etc.

babbette
01-20-2011, 07:08 AM
wwhhhhaaat?!!! of for gat sakes. :(

Underhand
01-20-2011, 07:11 AM
In ARG's media he said "I was empty" meaning...

...he has run out of...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3246/2611741341_a9d39b13a1.jpg

babbette
01-20-2011, 07:14 AM
...he has run out of...

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3246/2611741341_a9d39b13a1.jpg

I was waiting for this inevitable joke!!!

http://img14.imageshack.us/img14/4503/standingovationnight3.jpg (http://img14.imageshack.us/i/standingovationnight3.jpg/)

Cup8489
01-20-2011, 07:16 AM
It's too bad this happened as now Hewitt was forced out for nothing... Iras really unfair

Underhand
01-20-2011, 07:20 AM
I was waiting for this inevitable joke!!!

You're welcome.

junk
01-20-2011, 07:21 AM
berankis was just too good/quick/agressive for him. and to be honest, despite the fact that nalby is a great tennis player, awesome ball striker, his physical shape needs to be improved... he might do fine in best of three events, but in grand slams he's gonna suffer

SoCal10s
01-20-2011, 07:22 AM
it was a late night match against Hewitt ,he probably partied too much and too long and could get up the next day to play....

rallyjunkie
01-20-2011, 07:25 AM
No suprise here. The Hewitt match was a physical depleting battle. We knew poor David was going to be empty and deflated for round two and the speed and consistency of Berankis is a nightmare for a tired guy.

Nalbandian probably hates Hewitt so much he likely had extra motivation and took him out for spite.

NadalAgassi
01-20-2011, 09:35 AM
Berankis overpowered him, outran him, outsmarted him, and just outplayed him in everyway to embarassing extremes. He couldnt take the *** kicking anymore so quit with some invented injury/illness like Henin did in the 2006 Australian Open final vs Maursemo.

mike84
01-20-2011, 11:04 AM
apparently after hewitt match nalbadian had issues with cramping didn't sleep till 7AM in the morning

Hood_Man
01-20-2011, 11:16 AM
This is why I was rooting for Hewitt during their match, I felt that he could have made more of a run of it if he'd won.

Oh well, he wasn't good enough in the end.

callmethedoctor
01-20-2011, 01:07 PM
He was never good... you guys expect this guy to win slams, or even get to quarterfinals at least, but the truth is his fitness doesn't allow him.

yellowoctopus
01-20-2011, 01:11 PM
alfajores!
http://www.herdaily.com/blogimg/recipes/alfajores3.jpg

AM95
01-20-2011, 01:30 PM
he was massively tired from hewitt because of his poor fitness, at least thats what i think

Gorecki
01-20-2011, 01:37 PM
He was never good... you guys expect this guy to win slams, or even get to quarterfinals at least, but the truth is his fitness doesn't allow him.

so. he was\is not good but yet if he was fit he would reach quarters and finals....

ok Mr. Federer-Laver-Borg....

tangerine
01-20-2011, 01:47 PM
Nothing out of the ordinary: he's out of shape and overrated.

Andres
01-20-2011, 02:09 PM
It's too bad this happened as now Hewitt was forced out for nothing... Iras really unfair
What? It's not like they flipped a coin and Nalbandian went through instead of Lleyton....

Hewitt LOST.

How is that unfair?

Markov
01-20-2011, 02:22 PM
He's incredibly talented and able to play at a very high level at when he's not tired or injured, but he doesn't have any endurance. This might be one cause for his underachieving in slams...

jms007
01-20-2011, 02:22 PM
Awesome gastank.

ReopeningWed
01-20-2011, 02:32 PM
Stop bashing on Nalbandian; no one who is the former world no. 3 can be overrated.

NadalAgassi
01-20-2011, 02:44 PM
Stop bashing on Nalbandian; no one who is the former world no. 3 can be overrated.

Roddick is a former #1 who has achieved 3 times what Nalbandian has yet goes nowhere near the praise or respect on this forum Nalbandian is given. If Nalbandian boosters didnt keep claiming stupid things like he is more talented than Federer and Nadal, he wouldnt get bashed after showings like this.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
01-20-2011, 02:55 PM
Me and some friends laughed at fat Dave yesterday and joked around that after his 5 set win vs Hewitt he will need until August to recover...how right we were:-?
Nalbandian will always be only a huge talent and a fantastic ballstriker.
What he will never be is a ferocious competitor like Fed Nadal Murray and Roddick

cc0509
01-20-2011, 03:14 PM
No suprise here. The Hewitt match was a physical depleting battle. We knew poor David was going to be empty and deflated for round two and the speed and consistency of Berankis is a nightmare for a tired guy.

Nalbandian probably hates Hewitt so much he likely had extra motivation and took him out for spite.

At the end of the match with Hewitt, Nalbandian looked like he was going to pass out! He is not in the best shape, that is for sure. Too bad he ended up withdrawing from the tournament after that fierce battle with Hewitt where either one could have one. I wanted Hewitt to win. What a waste of a hard fought win!

cc0509
01-20-2011, 03:18 PM

I agree with the fitness part. He does have talent but he does not have what it takes to be a top tennis player (i.e. the fitness, mental toughness, etc.)

skip1969
01-20-2011, 03:19 PM
his lack of fitness has obviously never caused him any sleepless nights. i don't see why so many people on here care so much. it's his life and his career. if he wants to be a perennial underachiever, so be it.

i didn't think he'd pull the match out against hewitt, but he found a way. and he's hardly the first pro who killed himself to win a round, only to get smoked in the next.

NadalAgassi
01-20-2011, 03:20 PM
Nalbandian's talent is even overrated. Granted his talent at his peak (which is long past now) is more than his results probably. I would say his talent level is on par with Roddick and Hewitt, guys who far better results, so yes he did underachieve back in his prime. To compare his talent to Federer, Nadal, or Safin is ridiculous though.

I might even be generous there though. He was never a teen phenom or up and comer who big things were projected from. In fact when he reached his Wimbledon final people predicted he was the next Chris Lewis. People didnt even begin to think or talk about how he was really talented until his upset win over Federer at the 2005 TMC where everyone else in the top 6 (all who were real threats to beat Nalbandian) skipped the event. Yet somehow because he has the odd big win or performance (very occasionally and rarely), since he chooses to not fully maximize whatever his real potential is by being fat often, and since people seem to love to exagerrate underachievers to epic proportions, he suddenly became touted as this historic talent machine which he was never considered by anyone before. Even Roddick and Hewitt were identified as major talents early and projected to do big things young in a way Nalbandian at that point never was.

Also worth noting the 2003 U.S Open semis probably showed Nalbandian playing his best tennis, Roddick playing his worst match of that whole summer, and even Roddick still beat him in the end.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
01-20-2011, 03:25 PM
NadalAgassi: Great post, completely agree with everything except him not being a teen-phenom, he was! He was the worlds best 13-14-15 year old, i played at the same tournament as him back in 1996 and he was absolutely killing everyone.

NadalAgassi
01-20-2011, 03:29 PM
NadalAgassi: Great post, completely agree with everything except him not being a teen-phenom, he was! He was the worlds best 13-14-15 year old, i played at the same tournament as him back in 1996 and he was absolutely killing everyone.

OK fair point, I admit I didnt know that. However in his early pro years he wasnt that highly touted, even after reaching the Wimbledon final. Safin, Hewitt, Ferrero, Roddick, and Federer were always the ones touted as the games future, even while Nalbandian had Federer's number. And at the time people were baffled at Federer's losses to Nalbandian, Tennis Magazine even called it the most baffling head to head in tennis, nobody dared suggest it was because Nalbandian was as much or more talented than Federer.

It sounds like he might have been a male Capriati. She was the most talented and best 13-15 year old player ever for sure. However it turned out she just developed alot quicker than everyone else, it wasnt that she was ever the most talented player or destined to be the best long term. At 14 she was already a phenom who made the WTA top 10, made the odd slam semi, won the occasional small tournament, but got regularly killed by say Steffi Graf. At 17 three whole years later in 1993 by which time she had been projected to already be the World #1, she was still just a bottom end top 10 player, who made the odd slam semi, won the occasional small tournament, and was getting killed by Steffi Graf.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
01-20-2011, 03:38 PM
OK fair point, I admit I didnt know that. However in his early pro years he wasnt that highly touted, even after reaching the Wimbledon final. Safin, Hewitt, Ferrero, Roddick, and Federer were always the ones touted as the games future, even while Nalbandian had Federer's number. And at the time people were baffled at Federer's losses to Nalbandian, Tennis Magazine even called it the most baffling head to head in tennis, nobody dared suggest it was because Nalbandian was as much or more talented than Federer.

It sounds like he might have been a male Capriati. She was the most talented and best 13-15 year old player ever for sure. However it turned out she just developed alot quicker than everyone else, it wasnt that she was ever the most talented player or destined to be the best long term. At 14 she was already a phenom who made the WTA top 10, made the odd slam semi, won the occasional small tournament, but got regularly killed by say Steffi Graf. At 17 three whole years later in 1993 by which time she had been projected to already be the World #1, she was still just a bottom end top 10 player, who made the odd slam semi, won the occasional small tournament, and was getting killed by Steffi Graf.

Once again, very good post.
I have also always been questioning the Nalbandian-Federer h2h...i still dont get it. I have a few Argentinian friends who i got to know back in the days and thay say that David is the laziest pro the world has ever seen, he spends a lot more time chasing latinas then he does on the courts

cc0509
01-20-2011, 03:39 PM
his lack of fitness has obviously never caused him any sleepless nights. i don't see why so many people on here care so much. it's his life and his career. if he wants to be a perennial underachiever, so be it.

i didn't think he'd pull the match out against hewitt, but he found a way. and he's hardly the first pro who killed himself to win a round, only to get smoked in the next.

The point is not that he lost in the next round, it is he withdrew.

dandelion_smiley
01-20-2011, 04:27 PM
Give him a break, he's 29 years old.

He was doing very well till 25-26 years of age reaching Slam quarters and semis multiple times. Can't keep it up forever unless you're really motivated

skip1969
01-20-2011, 04:44 PM
The point is not that he lost in the next round, it is he withdrew.
nitpicking, if you ask me. what's the difference if he would have stayed on court for another 15 minutes to lose another 4 games in a row?

there are always matches in slams where, once they are over . . . hell, even while they are being played . . . that you say to yourself, "whoever wins this is gonna get killed in the next round." that's just how it goes in our sport.

but it's silly to say the other guy should have won cos he would have put up more of a fight. it's a mute point . . . cos he lost.

cc0509
01-20-2011, 04:55 PM
nitpicking, if you ask me. what's the difference if he would have stayed on court for another 15 minutes to lose another 4 games in a row?

there are always matches in slams where, once they are over . . . hell, even while they are being played . . . that you say to yourself, "whoever wins this is gonna get killed in the next round." that's just how it goes in our sport.

but it's silly to say the other guy should have won cos he would have put up more of a fight. it's a mute point . . . cos he lost.

You are right, it is a moot point. However, to me, the match with Hewitt could have gone either way and Hewitt is the better champion in terms of being a more professional athlete imo. Nalbandian seems like he would rather be any place but on the court many times when he plays. Then, don't be a professional athlete. If you are not going to take it seriously and be at the top of your game, what is the point? Yes, it is all a moot point since Hewitt lost but it is just my opinion about Nalbandian and his attitude at times.

IvanAndreevich
01-20-2011, 04:59 PM
This type of stuff happens sometimes. Nothing in the tank.

dgoran
01-20-2011, 05:09 PM
Guys it takes incredible amount of will power to give up a lot of great things in life ( Latinas ;), beer, Churrascarias etc...you name it David...) Few are able to pull it off and that's why they are called champions. Most others are simply too weak (speaking of mental weakness) to resist life's full flavors.

It happens to best of them/us. If any one of you ever had dreams and than tried to make it to the pro level at any sport will know what I mean.

For every Sampras, Fed Nadal, there are countless Safins, Nalby's, Gonzo's, etc...

xanctus
01-20-2011, 05:34 PM
Or maybe he had sex in the morning...

Annika
01-20-2011, 08:20 PM
He has beautiful natural shots. But he's 29 now. And five setters take a lot out of you. He should retire.

SoCal10s
01-20-2011, 11:19 PM
Nalbandian shot making skills are not over-rated .. he just never primed himself for the 3 out of 5 sets grand slams .. he can still manage the non-slams tournaments where he doesn't need to go 3 out of 5 ...

this what a former pro said about him..""I'm sorry to see nalbandian have to pull out. He is one of my favorite players to watch. Can hit any shot from anywhere on the court.""

NadalAgassi
01-20-2011, 11:22 PM
Nalbandian shot making skills are not over-rated .. he just never primed himself for the 3 out of 5 sets grand slams .. he can still manage the non-slams tournaments where he doesn't need to go 3 out of 5 ...

He has won 2 Masters events in his career. So not such an amazing best of 3 set player either compared to the very best. Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, Murray, Roddick, Safin, Ferrero, Davydenko, Moya, all won more than that, many of them alot won. Hewitt also won only 2 but won the TMC twice.

Sorry people need to just stop building up Nalbandian like he is head of the class in talent and ability in any sense or ever was. He isnt. He can once in awhile beat the best players on his favorite surface on his best day. Big deal, atleast 20 other guys can also do this.

SoCal10s
01-20-2011, 11:30 PM
He has won 2 Masters events in his career. So not such an amazing best of 3 set player either compared to the very best. Federer, Nadal, Djokovic, Murray, Roddick, Safin, Ferrero, Davydenko, Moya, all won more than that, many of them alot won. Hewitt also won only 2 but won the TMC twice.

Sorry people need to just stop building up Nalbandian like he is head of the class in talent and ability in any sense or ever was. He isnt. He can once in awhile beat the best players on his favorite surface on his best day. Big deal, atleast 20 other guys can also do this.

yeah alot of people can do it ,but can they do it being 20lbs overweight ??

jwbarrientos
01-21-2011, 06:31 AM
I agree with the fitness part. He does have talent but he does not have what it takes to be a top tennis player (i.e. the fitness, mental toughness, etc.):shock::shock::shock:

He had no/have no/won't have fitnnes since I am not sure tennis is 100% of his life; but mental toughness (he had defeated every top player), he came from a major surgery played few matches, got a tournament last year after that recovery being top 20 isn't a TOP PLAYER? come on.

Have you ever travelled in an almost empty bus? imagine that, he and many others would be among in that bus, if you only accept best tallented guys in the WORLD.