PDA

View Full Version : Alexandra Stevenson interview

rallyjunkie
01-20-2011, 06:28 AM
She is still out there battling on the challenger circuit, hoping to get back to the big show. She uses Donnay now. Nice player, big game, huge serve, trying to overcome shoulder trouble. She tells some nice stories here about Budge, Laver, beating Capriati...

http://tennis-prose.com/articles/biofile-with-alexandra-stevenson/

sureshs
01-20-2011, 07:47 AM
"Don Budge came to my high school courts at La Jolla Country Day - and waited for me until after class to work on my one-handed backhand. He wanted me to move my thumb down."

Remember the tip, guys.

tacoben
07-22-2013, 08:51 AM
She is still out there battling on the challenger circuit, hoping to get back to the big show. She uses Donnay now. Nice player, big game, huge serve, trying to overcome shoulder trouble. She tells some nice stories here about Budge, Laver, beating Capriati...

http://tennis-prose.com/articles/biofile-with-alexandra-stevenson/

Resurrecting an old thead...

I saw Alexandra over the weekend at the WTA Bank of the West, playing the qualifier to enter the main draw; she fell short yesterday in getting in the draw losing to a Canadian. I am aware that at one time she had a big serve topping 120 mph, but had problems with her shoulders in her career. She was once ranked the #1 top Junior female in the US, also made it to the Wimbledon semifinals, after going through the qualifier (may have been the first female to do so). She is the daughter of Julias Erving aka: "Dr. J".... did not meet her father until 2008, and she initiated the meeting. She later entered college, graduating with honors from University of Colorado. Aside from injuries, what befell this once great talent? She showed remnants of of her big serve, but I noticed she had difficulty at times finishing some points, due to mobility, as in lack of conditioning. But I was mesmerized at her one handed backhand, solid still....just sad that her career did not go as planned. At 32, is she just chasing a dream of what it could have been?

adventure
07-22-2013, 02:00 PM
She had a series of injuries to her right shoulder. She didn't regain full strength in that shoulder until 2010.

I saw her play a year or two ago, and she was not in great shape then, either.

dafinch
07-22-2013, 03:43 PM
Resurrecting an old thead...

I saw Alexandra over the weekend at the WTA Bank of the West, playing the qualifier to enter the main draw; she fell short yesterday in getting in the draw losing to a Canadian. I am aware that at one time she had a big serve topping 120 mph, but had problems with her shoulders in her career. She was once ranked the #1 top Junior female in the US, also made it to the Wimbledon semifinals, after going through the qualifier (may have been the first female to do so). She is the daughter of Julias Erving aka: "Dr. J".... did not meet her father until 2008, and she initiated the meeting. She later entered college, graduating with honors from University of Colorado. Aside from injuries, what befell this once great talent? She showed remnants of of her big serve, but I noticed she had difficulty at times finishing some points, due to mobility, as in lack of conditioning. But I was mesmerized at her one handed backhand, solid still....just sad that her career did not go as planned. At 32, is she just chasing a dream of what it could have been?

Donald Budge?!?! He's been dead for over a dozen years, and she's still talking about that??? Uh, time to move on, and, by "move on," I mean to post athletic life...