PDA

View Full Version : Dimitrov doesn't have any real weapons

jdubbs
01-20-2011, 12:03 PM
Check out Wawrinka -Dimitrov highlights:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWx8w0a4DpU

Beautiful strokes, especially that backhand...wow. But he doesn't have any putaway strokes, and he's not going to beat many in the top 20 just hitting nice looking topspin strokes. He has a long way to go, though I'm interested in seeing how he develops.

aphex
01-20-2011, 12:11 PM
Yep, that's why he destroyed the #37 in the world...

great analysis bro!

yellowoctopus
01-20-2011, 12:16 PM
To the OP: Not sure if you saw the match or just the highlights. I match I saw showed a lot of huge services and even bigger forehands from Mr. Dimitrov. Unfortunately there were also plenty of double-faults and unforced errors.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/01Shb3K5CW4Fz/350x.jpg

I also observed that his spirit was a little 'subdued'

AM95
01-20-2011, 12:27 PM
he played very conservatively vs wawrinka, i agree. but to say he has no weapons, you must be out of your mind. great serve, great forehand, and i think he may have a better topspin backhand, or slightly worse than federer. he beat golubev easily. plus he played three qualifiers before that so i think its fair to say that he was pretty tired mentally and a little bit physically when he played wawa.

philosoraptor
01-20-2011, 12:30 PM
Looking at the highlights, it seems that dima is setting up points ok, but he's losing a lot of put-away shots that he needs to do..if he can't even do that, then he won't get to the top

rovex
01-20-2011, 12:33 PM
Dimitov is just a federer copy cat. Let's see, same service motion, same backhand motion, same clothing brand, same racquet brand, same placement of one wristband on the right arm and so forth. Sad really, have some sort of identity for Christ sakes.

aphex
01-20-2011, 12:40 PM
Dimitov is just a federer copy cat. Let's see, same service motion, same backhand motion, same clothing brand, same racquet brand and so forth. Sad really, have some sort of identity for Christ sakes.

...says the guy with Mugdasco as his avatar...

danielrios
01-20-2011, 01:03 PM
He has the weapons, but doesnt have a plan. I'll give him 1 more year, and his tennis will explode.

Fate Archer
01-20-2011, 01:04 PM
Nice highlights, loved the camera angle. Dimitrov has some really nice groundstrokes. I think what he needs to improve the most is his movement. He seemed a bit clumsy sometimes, if he really wants to be Federer-like he needs to have a better footwork and more explosiveness on his movement. That would complement a lot his groundstrokes.

jdubbs
01-20-2011, 01:08 PM
To the OP: Not sure if you saw the match or just the highlights. I match I saw showed a lot of huge services and even bigger forehands from Mr. Dimitrov. Unfortunately there were also plenty of double-faults and unforced errors.

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/01Shb3K5CW4Fz/350x.jpg

I also observed that his spirit was a little 'subdued'

Sorry, couldn't wake up at 2am for the match lol, I'm not THAT hardcore.

He's still young, so again, hoping for big things. Just was expecting a little more firepower, that's all.

aphex
01-20-2011, 01:27 PM
Sorry, couldn't wake up at 2am for the match lol, I'm not THAT hardcore.

He's still young, so again, hoping for big things. Just was expecting a little more firepower, that's all.

But you felt you needed to start a thread about something you have no clue about...

This place needs cleaning up.

Markov
01-20-2011, 01:31 PM
Dimitrov's looking good... nothing wrong with his game that couldn't be pretty easily fixed. Just needs more power and consistency, like teenagers usually do. That backhand could maybe become his weapon one day, it's amazing

Underhand
01-20-2011, 01:38 PM
Very fortunate that he doesn't have real weapons, he already attacks umpires, what would happen if he had AK-47 or Magnum?

danielrios
01-20-2011, 01:49 PM
Hahahaha well done sir

sennoc
01-20-2011, 01:50 PM
These highlights clearly show that as a teenager, Dimitrov is technically a more mature player than Rafael Nadal now. Great potential.

Onebackhanders need more time to win tournaments because they invest a lot of time in technical developement. So it's quite obvious that his results are worse at this point of career. What is important, it seems that he has real will to win and a lot of internal energy.

Dimitrov needs 1-2 years and he can be one of the best players in the world.

Bryan Swartz
01-20-2011, 01:55 PM
This year will tell a lot for him. I've said this elsewhere, but I took a look at who he played last year.

He won six events, three futures and three challengers. Out of 79 matches, 57 were against players ranked worse than 200 in the world: 22 of the remaining 27 were against players in the 101-200 range.

Of the sparse five matches he played against Top 100 foes, he won three, beating Llodra, Lacko, and Kamke, losing to Feliciano Lopez and Dudi Sela.

Obviously this year will be an absolutely mammoth step up in competition, as he'll be facing Top 100 guys week in and week out. So time will tell, and relatively soon in his case.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
01-20-2011, 02:03 PM
i think he may have a better topspin backhand, or slightly worse than federer.

For once i hugely disagree with you, did you base that on seeing Feds match vs Simon?
There is a huge differance in depth,pace,variety and consistency

jdubbs
01-20-2011, 02:18 PM
But you felt you needed to start a thread about something you have no clue about...

This place needs cleaning up.

no I started the thread based on all the hype I'd heard about him, and checking him out for myself by watching a few games, and reported on what I saw based on my years of experience in watching and playing.
So I have a clue, just wanted to see what others thought.

Maybe you should just hold your tongue until this place "cleans up?"

jman
01-20-2011, 02:55 PM
Dimitov is just a federer copy cat. Let's see, same service motion, same backhand motion, same clothing brand, same racquet brand, same placement of one wristband on the right arm and so forth. Sad really, have some sort of identity for Christ sakes.

DAYUM rovex, that's harsh.
Service motion is much different, and frankly prob better than feds. everything else is similar, yes. But I don't see a problem modelling your game after a text-book player. Especially a sucessful text-book player.

Jonny S&V
01-20-2011, 02:59 PM

Service motion: Different by quite a bit, less flexible and more linear.
Backhand: Dimitrov gets more extension on his backhand.
Clothes/Racquet: Yes, the same. Money talks.
Wristband: Same placement... As 95% of players on tour.

BrooklynNY
01-20-2011, 09:18 PM
Not impressed.
Poor footwork, doesn't really have any pop.