PDA

View Full Version : Why the hate for Brad Gilbert?

jdubbs
01-20-2011, 03:33 PM
He's the godfather of match strategy, admittedly less talented than most of his peers but able to grit out tough victories. He's coached some of the best players in history. I find his analysis insightful.

But seems like many don't like him at all. Why?

meltphace 6
01-20-2011, 03:44 PM
"Winning ugly" - the most overrated book on tennis strategy ever.

Mustard
01-20-2011, 03:44 PM
Ask Thomas Muster ;)

Jonny S&V
01-20-2011, 03:52 PM
He's a horrible commentator. You need to be more than knowledgeable to be a good commentator. His opinions are ridiculous, and he's a bandwagoner. Now, do you want to know how I really feel?

NadalAgassi
01-20-2011, 03:53 PM
Very good player, great coach, sucky commentator as are all nearly the whole ESPN clown team. As he is pretty much only a commentator these days and that is all we see of him plenty reason to not like him. And yes he is insanely biased and a bandwagoner, again like almost the whole ESPN freak show.

zak425
01-20-2011, 04:01 PM
Man once the slams roll around, everyone on here turns to a cry baby. If you know what is best for tennis coverage why aren't you doing it?

Jonny S&V
01-20-2011, 04:12 PM
Man once the slams roll around, everyone on here turns to a cry baby. If you know what is best for tennis coverage why aren't you doing it?

I watch live streams without commentating for the most part, and if there is, there is very little. I complain about Gilbert because I also get his tweets, which also annoy the crap out of me (but I get a behind the scene view of things, since he IS a coach).

Legend of Borg
01-20-2011, 04:13 PM
BG is aight when he doesn't make his special predictions.

When he starts belting away, my ESPN stream goes off and my EuroSport streams goes on.

Pretty simple.

forzamilan90
01-20-2011, 04:14 PM
he's a major bandwagonner, and quite biased for the most part, as a commentator those are not admirable qualities

JoelDali
01-20-2011, 04:16 PM
Hes the current GCOAT™ in a weak era.

HunterST
01-20-2011, 04:19 PM
Because people love to complain about commentators.

In virtually every sport the fans complain incessantly about the commentators, yet, simultaneously, they make observations and form opinions that are blatantly based off of what the commentators have said.

Gilbert knows the game, he has a great eye for strategy, and I think he's pretty entertaining.

Bobby Jr
01-20-2011, 04:22 PM
He's the godfather of match strategy..
How old are you? 15?

Two reasons for Brad Gilbert hate despite his successes: he's also nutty as a fruit-cake.

Evidence:
- Wrist assist
- Power Balance bracelet

zak425
01-20-2011, 04:23 PM
I just think we as tennis fans are way too sensitive. The same amount of people who say "BG is a idiot" don't realize the same amount of people say "I really like how his enthusiasm is". We cant have it both ways, you just have to realize that they are just giving their opinions, you don't have to treat it as gospel, you don't have to get offended. People have different personalities and opinions, if you cant handle it for a few hours of coverage then I'd say your going to have a fun time in the real world.

Also how can he be a band wagoner and biased at the same time it doesn't make sense. If he didn't like someone because of his bias how then could he jump on the band wagon?

ESPN has a good mix of color commentators like BG, Shriver, etc. More reserved commentators Cahill, Fernandez, and Cliff. And the leader of the discussions P-Mac and Fowler.

Of course some people will like one person over the other but you have to realize the world doesn't revolve around you. And more certainly ESPN could probably care less about your insecurities about how your favorite player isn't getting flowery comments 24/7

meltphace 6
01-20-2011, 04:23 PM
Best tennis coverage = on court sounds, no comments.

meltphace 6
01-20-2011, 04:26 PM
Evidence:
- Wrist assist
- Power Balance bracelet
Really? Obviously this guy is ONLY in it for the money.

HunterST
01-20-2011, 04:26 PM
Best tennis coverage = on court sounds, no comments.

That's your opinion and you'd be in the minority. There's a reason every channel has commentators for each sporting event: it brings in higher ratings.

Mustard
01-20-2011, 04:27 PM
BG is aight when he doesn't make his special predictions.

When he starts belting away, my ESPN stream goes off and my EuroSport streams goes on.

Pretty simple.

I'm amazed you choose ESPN over Eurosport in the first place :shock:

Semi-Pro
01-20-2011, 04:30 PM
He's the godfather of match strategy, admittedly less talented than most of his peers but able to grit out tough victories. He's coached some of the best players in history. I find his analysis insightful.

But seems like many don't like him at all. Why?

The guy is an idiot. He is biased, makes up words, uses stupid quotes, and rambles on and on about nothing. Very seldom does he say something that is even remotely insightful.

Legend of Borg
01-20-2011, 04:31 PM
I'm amazed you choose ESPN over Eurosport in the first place :shock:

I don't really mind Cahill and P-Mac, in fact I've grown fond of P-Mac's unique commentating style.

"HELLO!" (on a big shot)

"And that, was an EYEDROPPA!!" (on a well executed dropper) :lol:

"Oh, are you kidding me!!!" (on a jaw dropping shot)

But I can agree that a stream with no commentator is also nice from time to time.

Gives the match a different feel when you don't have someone constantly analyzing it.

slice bh compliment
01-20-2011, 04:31 PM
Smart player, astute coach and very expressive.
Personally, I think he's cheesy, verbose and he gets in the way of a good match.

However, I do like his enthusiasm when he finds something he admires (like last night, he was very complimentary of Baghdatis' effort).

You can just feel how jealous he is of people like Mac, Becker, Courier, et al.
He also seems like he's trying very hard to be regarded as a 'no holds barred' outspoken commentator. The anti-Pat Sumerall, if you will. And he will.

He's obviously watched a lot of sports in his life, so he ends up being a tennis-ish amalgam of an NBA/NFL/NCAA color man, a tennis analyst and a former player who is desperately trying to stay relevant. The guy TRIES SO HARD to be cool.

But he ends up sounding like a tool. I mean, I'd love to hit a few with him and all, but I don't see ever having any desire to have lunch with the guy.
That's probably not the best way to judge a broadcaster, but...there you go...just one man's opinion.

skip1969
01-20-2011, 04:33 PM
i watched youzhny play his five-setter the other day on espn3 without a single word of commentary. i enjoyed it very much. just the sounds of the crowd, the ball striking . . . and mikhail screaming at himself in russian once he blew his two-set lead.

i challenge anyone who has half a brain about tennis to listen to gilbert's ramblings during a match and write down 10 things he says which you didn't already know or were able to figure out all by yourself.

zak425
01-20-2011, 04:38 PM
Seemingly what most of you seem to be missing is that the "color" guy is supposed to be the guy who can relate and say things that make sense to the layman, someone who doesn't play or think about tennis too often. The "color" guy also needs to add "color" to the commentating - I.E. using out of the box analogies, and comparing tennis to other more well known sports.

Despite what most of us would like they aren't going to be ever adjusting their commentating to people in the "know", there job is to attract people who don't watch tennis into watching tennis. They know that we will watch pretty much regardless, not too mention how much can they talk strategy without it sounding like a broken record?

Saying all this he does talk about strategy and technical issues that don't come to mind immediately.

meltphace 6
01-20-2011, 04:41 PM
Power balance bracelet = instant disrespect

thejackal
01-20-2011, 08:08 PM
Smart player, astute coach and very expressive.
Personally, I think he's cheesy, verbose and he gets in the way of a good match.

However, I do like his enthusiasm when he finds something he admires (like last night, he was very complimentary of Baghdatis' effort).

You can just feel how jealous he is of people like Mac, Becker, Courier, et al.
He also seems like he's trying very hard to be regarded as a 'no holds barred' outspoken commentator. The anti-Pat Sumerall, if you will. And he will.

He's obviously watched a lot of sports in his life, so he ends up being a tennis-ish amalgam of an NBA/NFL/NCAA color man, a tennis analyst and a former player who is desperately trying to stay relevant. The guy TRIES SO HARD to be cool.

But he ends up sounding like a tool. I mean, I'd love to hit a few with him and all, but I don't see ever having any desire to have lunch with the guy.
That's probably not the best way to judge a broadcaster, but...there you go...just one man's opinion.

I watched a tennis match sitting next to him and his brother barry on an outside court during the USO in 08. Had a great time, wouldnt mind havin a beer with him in a bar watching any sport, not just tennis.

IvanAndreevich
01-20-2011, 08:10 PM
Talking about Baghdatis: he dropped 15-16 pounds.

LOL 15-16, really?

Power balance bracelet = instant disrespect

Absolutely. I noticed Querrey was sporting one too.

Bobby Jr
01-20-2011, 08:16 PM
Oh, I forgot. Another thing wrong with Gilbert....

He thinks Bud Ice is good beer... :lol:

Raindogs
01-20-2011, 10:30 PM
Oh, I forgot. Another thing wrong with Gilbert....

He thinks Bud Ice is good beer... :lol:
I like Brad because he's a character, and that is something sorely lacking in most of today's players that rarely show much emotion or say anything remotely interesting.
At least with Brad, he gives you some entertainment and funny quotes along the way.
Sure he comes across as a bit of a bro-dude type of know-it-all, but for me anyway, in a very likeable kind of way.

nadal_slam_king
01-20-2011, 10:51 PM
Brad Gilbert is Albert Einstein compared to Jim Courier.

happycamperjack
01-20-2011, 11:48 PM
Because a lot of you here are obviously anti-Semitic! BAM! you know who you are! :)

Jokes asid, come on, the guy's very knowledgable (even down to the fix behind today's non-bouncing court), talk about a lot of technical details with genuine enthusiasm. He may not make a pleasant neighbour, but he's certainly an interesting commentator. And he creates certain "tension" between him and other female commentators.

Sid_Vicious
01-21-2011, 12:07 AM
I don't really mind Cahill and P-Mac, in fact I've grown fond of P-Mac's unique commentating style.

"HELLO!" (on a big shot)

"And that, was an EYEDROPPA!!" (on a well executed dropper) :lol:

"Oh, are you kidding me!!!" (on a jaw dropping shot)

But I can agree that a stream with no commentator is also nice from time to time.

Gives the match a different feel when you don't have someone constantly analyzing it.
lol I don't mind the ESPN team at all. Here is a funny moment I found form 2007. Hilarious stuff.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHDMouAq2T0

struggle
01-21-2011, 02:45 AM
Fowler is the one i can't stand. The guy clearly knows very little about tennis, he got these gigs based on espn seniority.

AS for Brad, i'd be happier with him if he'd drop the "Gilbonics".

PCXL-Fan
01-21-2011, 03:35 AM
I dont hate, kinda like him, but he acts childish at times.

Such as the on-air complaining about the requests to pronounce players names properly in their ethnic tongue.
I remember the on air argument about wanting to call french players by there anglicized pronunciation (eg Richard 'Ree-shard' as Ritch-*** & Simon 'Seemo' as Sigh-mon).

Wombat_Joe
01-21-2011, 04:10 AM
Well unlike 95% of the kids on these boards.. I am old enough to remember Gilbert as a player..

The guy was a ****** then, and is still today!

FloridaAG
01-21-2011, 04:10 AM
Pompous, annoying, makes ridiculous predictions just for the sake of it

ggoodwin
01-21-2011, 04:17 AM
I love BG. Sure he's over the top, but he's funny and insightful. Doesn't take himself too seriously either. Overall, I think the ESPN crew is great, vastly better than Tennis Channel.

mctennis
01-21-2011, 07:49 AM
Because Brad thinks only Brad is right. He treats fans like lepers even when they just say "hi" to him. He is only "on" when the cameras roll thinking they are looking for him to say something magical. There's only one reason he wants to be on TV when he is out of a coaching gig. He wants to keep his mug out there so others know he is still "available to coach". There should be a light flashing above his head when he is on the tennis panel between matches with " AVAILABLE TO COACH" flashing above his noggin.

rabidranger
01-21-2011, 08:05 AM
Talking about Baghdatis: he dropped 15-16 pounds.

LOL 15-16, really?

Absolutely. I noticed Querrey was sporting one too.

Kind of like his weather/temperature predictions. "It's about 73 degrees out with a slight breeze out of the NW at about 10 miles per hour."

Markov
01-21-2011, 08:08 AM
Why not to hate him?

stoo
01-21-2011, 08:08 AM
I think BG is awesome. I'd rather listen to him and P-Mac jibe at each other all day than list to that tool Fowler ramble on like he knows what he's talking about. One of my dog's turds has more tennis knowledge than Fowler.

Gilbert can be a bit over the top now and then, but at least he knows when to shut up unlike Fowler who just keeps on going and going and going....

NamRanger
01-21-2011, 08:14 AM
Fowler is the one i can't stand. The guy clearly knows very little about tennis, he got these gigs based on espn seniority.

AS for Brad, i'd be happier with him if he'd drop the "Gilbonics".

Without Fowler there wouldn't be much coverage of tennis on ESPN at all. Despite the fact that Fowler doesn't know that much, he does actually keep up with tennis, among the 50000 other sports he covers. He knows enough for the average viewer.

TBrady
01-21-2011, 08:48 AM
Gilbert is the man.

He coached Agassi and Murray.

Gilbert's most successful year on the tour was 1989, during which he won five singles titles, including Cincinnati, where he beat four future Hall of Famers to claim the title: Pete Sampras, Michael Chang, Boris Becker and Stefan Edberg, as well as Agustin Moreno and Jason Stoltenberg.

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/71/haters_2.jpg (http://www.threadbombing.com/details.php?image_id=5051)

yellowoctopus
01-21-2011, 09:21 AM
Generally human behaviors are quite visually-dependent, which means visually-pleasing things and people affect our perceptions of their actions and who they are.

If Mr. Brad Gilbert is more visually-pleasing to those who speak harshly of him, I truly believe 'the hate' would not come out easily.

http://www.braingle.com/brainteasers/illusions/26745.gif

sureshs
01-21-2011, 09:23 AM
How old are you? 15?

Two reasons for Brad Gilbert hate despite his successes: he's also nutty as a fruit-cake.

Evidence:
- Wrist assist
- Power Balance bracelet

What is nutty about making money?

rommil
01-21-2011, 09:23 AM
Motor mouth and wearing Metallica shirts at this day and age, what is not to love?

heftylefty
01-21-2011, 09:51 AM
BG can be a bit much, but he's funny and not only knows tennis, but he know sports.

Annoying is PMc. To get so far for doing so little.

ClarkC
01-21-2011, 09:52 AM
I have not seen any "hate" for Brad Gilbert. I have seen some people say they think he is a bad tennis announcer.

Bloodshed
01-21-2011, 09:54 AM
Because he's a biased commentator, he makes stupid predictions and probably masturbates secretly when he sees a pusher putting a ball back in play :twisted:

surfvland
01-21-2011, 10:01 AM
The guy is an idiot. He is biased, makes up words, uses stupid quotes, and rambles on and on about nothing. Very seldom does he say something that is even remotely insightful.

Yeah, seems like he has a hard time with pronunciation. ie.

Ku netsova rather than Kuznetsova.

I've watched matches where Cliff D. gets annoyed with him and scolds him for his miss-pronunciations. Like come on Brad...are you an Idiot?

Really makes him sound dumb.

BobFL
01-21-2011, 10:17 AM
I like him :) Seriously how not to like his 'big mouth', Simon Says, Ga-Monf, Delpo and such :)

However, I don't really like Dick and Tarango. Fowler is OK but his knowledge is more than limited...

SuperDuy
01-21-2011, 10:30 AM
I think gilbert is good announcer, dont mind any o'em espn people now that Cowrillo is gone.

mtommer
01-21-2011, 10:45 AM
I don't like BG because he embraces the personality that goes along with his book: "Winning Ugly." I simply don't approach tennis or anything else in life with that kind of "attitude" and I don't really have any appreciation for those that do. I'd rather lose than win by playing "ugly".

nikdom
01-21-2011, 11:28 AM
I think "hate" becomes a strong word when you focus on it solely, without the benefit of its context.

A child can say "I hate peas" and what it means is that the child does not like to eat peas and would much rather have some ice cream, thank you. It does not mean the kid wants to grow up and destroy all the fields where they grow peas and wage a war on pea-eaters.

With B.G, its not just the little things that can annoy - like the insensitivity to pronouncing player names properly, the incorrigible and whacky predictions and for lack of a better word, polish, in his language and presentation. For some these very things may be endearing, in a every-man-regular-joe kind of way.

To me, the biggest turn off is that his biases, conflicts of interest and prejudices make plain living in his commentary.

Everybody has likes and dislikes. Cliffy and PMac surely are Roger fans but you would not know as much in what they say day in and day out - they appreciate Rafa equally and also make it a point to deal with issues in the larger context of the game.

B.G is like Glenn Beck, the conservative commentator and TV host, in a a small way. He only caters to his way of looking at things and whatever biases and personal points of view lead to that.

Sure, there may be a viewership segment that likes it and he is doing good by them. He just can't expect to be called "fair and balanced" and to be liked at the end of the day.

TBrady
01-21-2011, 11:46 AM
I don't like BG because he embraces the personality that goes along with his book: "Winning Ugly." I simply don't approach tennis or anything else in life with that kind of "attitude" and I don't really have any appreciation for those that do. I'd rather lose than win by playing "ugly".

I am not saying you probably lose alot of matches but you could win more if you didn't mind playing ugly points here and there at the right times.

nikdom
01-21-2011, 11:56 AM

A lot of talented players can benefit from having a more determined and productive outlook on the court because it IS a zero-sum game. Life is not. You don't "lose" love by giving it someone else. So equating tennis strategies with a larger philosophy of life is misguided and in this context, an unfair assessment of B.G's tennis book.

I agree that when some people place winning above everything else, like on your local tennis court where some jerk will call your ball out, or argue about the score, or make snide comments, it lessens the spirit of the game. Cheating is never right. To that extent, I agree with you mtommer, that recreational play should adhere to fun more than competitiveness.

But on the professional circuit, where they have the benefit of line judges, umpires and where its their living, it makes sense for a player to maximize their winning potential.

mtommer
01-21-2011, 01:13 PM
A lot of talented players can benefit from having a more determined and productive outlook on the court because it IS a zero-sum game. Life is not. You don't "lose" love by giving it someone else. So equating tennis strategies with a larger philosophy of life is misguided and in this context, an unfair assessment of B.G's tennis book.

Maybe, but consider in life you have aggresive, passive-aggresive and passive. I personally see "Winning Ugly" as being passive at times bordering on passive-aggresive. I most decidedly am not passive and rarely passive-aggresive. Now granted, I don't really know BG but my perception (of course I can be very wrong in it) is that he's too much of a passive type follower. People like that just annoy the heck out of me. At the same time, I also annoy the heck out of them too, so.... :D

I don't know who the Aussie commentator is on some of the ESPN feeds but I loved how he ripped Donald Young apart when Donald was playing Cilic (?). There was no holding back, he said exactly what he wanted to say, suggesting in no uncertain terms that DY would do well to start looking for a job at some college. The commentary wasn't safe, pc, etc., but at the same time, the guy talked out his reasoning on air and defended his commentary very well I think.

CityTennis22
01-21-2011, 03:52 PM
I don't know who the Aussie commentator is on some of the ESPN feeds but I loved how he ripped Donald Young apart when Donald was playing Cilic (?). There was no holding back, he said exactly what he wanted to say, suggesting in no uncertain terms that DY would do well to start looking for a job at some college. The commentary wasn't safe, pc, etc., but at the same time, the guy talked out his reasoning on air and defended his commentary very well I think.

I think that Aussie commentator took notes from the large number of threads on here where we slam Donald Young's game. Also, I'm hoping that Gilbert starts working with Nishikori full time because it will benefit his game and it will benefit our ears. So just to reiterate. Bad commentator, good coach.

Ripster
01-21-2011, 04:05 PM
Brad Gilbert is very entertaining and I feel like he's grown on me over the years. He may come off as silly at times but that's just part of his somewhat goofy character. He definitely adds some spice to the sometimes boring broadcasts.

In general, I prefer the ESPN team to NBC's, CBS's, etc. Although I wish Johnny Mac joined ESPN.

Tanya
01-21-2011, 06:19 PM
He's more annoying than Dick Enberg and Mary Carillo combined.

Legend of Borg
01-21-2011, 06:20 PM
Maybe, but consider in life you have aggresive, passive-aggresive and passive. I personally see "Winning Ugly" as being passive at times bordering on passive-aggresive. I most decidedly am not passive and rarely passive-aggresive. Now granted, I don't really know BG but my perception (of course I can be very wrong in it) is that he's too much of a passive type follower. People like that just annoy the heck out of me. At the same time, I also annoy the heck out of them too, so.... :D

What is this part about?

Players' game style?

Tar Heel Tennis
01-21-2011, 06:25 PM
Well unlike 95% of the kids on these boards.. I am old enough to remember Gilbert as a player..

The guy was a ****** then, and is still today!

QFT..QFT...QFT...QFT

Tanya
01-21-2011, 08:05 PM
Brad Gilbert is Albert Einstein compared to Jim Courier.

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_v7_rXOE8gsU/SwTa-9Hs6TI/AAAAAAAAUjY/h76pLvtHGu4/s1600/Mask.jpg

http://cdn.everyjoe.com/files/2009/03/phlphotos198184-jim-courier4566.jpg

just sayin'.

OddJack
01-21-2011, 08:10 PM
No hate for him here,

Just listen to other commentators from other stations and around the net and realize how good these are at ESPN

DownTheLine
01-21-2011, 08:12 PM
I really like Brad... Pam is a different story

Legend of Borg
01-21-2011, 08:12 PM
No hate for him here,

Just listen to other commentators from other stations and around the net and realize how good these are at ESPN

To each his own.

Some people prefer the EuroSport commentators, Wilander and some random Murray fan.

mtommer
01-22-2011, 09:45 AM
What is this part about?

Players' game style?

Personality traits which affect everything one does in life; from tennis to taking out the trash.