PDA

View Full Version : We can't buy Nadal's watch so he's seling underware now?

grzegorzo
01-20-2011, 06:20 PM
http://gototennis.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/rafael-nadal-armani-modeling-photos.0002.jpg
or
http://towleroad.typepad.com/.a/6a00d8341c730253ef0148c7cefae4970c-800wi

SullivanR
01-20-2011, 10:16 PM
Following in borg and verdasco's footsteps. Otherwise no comment.

Spin Doctor
01-20-2011, 10:58 PM
It doesn't even look like him in the face. I'm of the opinion that the underwear modelling for celebs only damages other endorsement opportunities so I don't think this is a good career move.

sureshs
01-21-2011, 07:04 AM
babbette needs to see this.

babbette
01-21-2011, 07:17 AM
babbette needs to see this.
I've seen it. I already replied here
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=359920&page=11
and the nadal news thread.

The title of this thread is hilarious.

LuckyR
01-21-2011, 08:24 AM
To the OP: you're clearly following Rafa's financial situation closely, what's your point?

Nadalfan89
01-21-2011, 08:32 AM
You probably can't even buy his underwear.

nadal_slam_king
01-21-2011, 08:40 AM
It doesn't even look like him in the face. I'm of the opinion that the underwear modelling for celebs only damages other endorsement opportunities so I don't think this is a good career move.

Any examples?

tuk
01-21-2011, 08:44 AM
His career is "playing tennis" everything else is adjacent to that, as long as he keeps winning he's gonna have plenty of endorsement opportunitties.
If anything things like this will only make him more famous just like the Shakira video

nadal_slam_king
01-21-2011, 02:12 PM
His career is "playing tennis" everything else is adjacent to that, as long as he keeps winning he's gonna have plenty of endorsement opportunitties.
If anything things like this will only make him more famous just like the Shakira video

Definitely, he's got more dimensions to his marketability than anyone we've seen. More than Agassi (Agassi had the charisma but wasn't a great role-model for at least half of his career) and more than Federer (Federer is a role-model - barring his press conferences after a loss - but lacks charisma).

cc0509
01-21-2011, 02:16 PM

THIS! Underwear is just another article of clothing. People act like it is some kind of strange item. Nadal will have plenty of endorsement options, I would not worry about that.

cc0509
01-21-2011, 02:18 PM
Definitely, he's got more dimensions to his marketability than anyone we've seen. More than Agassi (Agassi had the charisma but wasn't a great role-model for at least half of his career) and more than Federer (Federer is a role-model - barring his press conferences after a loss - but lacks charisma).

Totally disagree about Federer lacking charisma. He has it in spades!

octogon
01-21-2011, 02:27 PM

Modelling Armani underwear is a highly prestigious thing for an athlete. David Beckham has probably had the biggest portfolio of endorsements of any international athlete of the last 15 years, and his Armani underwear campaign was one of his biggest successes. It helped "brand" Beckham in the American market, and made him even more attractive to endorsers.

Cristiano Ronaldo was also endorsing Armani underwear, at a period when he was voted the best soccer player in the world. Armani only go after the biggest international athletes for their underwear campaigns. You need to be as big as a Beckham or Ronaldo or Nadal....but also you must have a certain level of sex appeal. Lionel Messi may be considered the current best soccer player in the world, but he'll never get the Armani endorsement, because he doesn't have the looks or sex appeal of a Beckham or Ronaldo.

If it's good enough for Beckham or Ronaldo, it's good enough for Nadal.

sureshs
01-21-2011, 02:32 PM
Was Fed approached to model underwear? If not, why not?

8PAQ
01-21-2011, 02:41 PM

Too big. Could frighten old ladies.

cc0509
01-21-2011, 02:42 PM

It does not fit his "image." Nobody would ever approach Fed to model underwear and if they did I am pretty sure he would not, only because it does not fit his image at all. He has a more sophisticated image than Nadal does. Nadal is younger and has a more fun type image. Federer and Nadal have completely different images which is the way it should be. It is unlikely that anybody will approach Nadal to model a suit. That is Fed's territory.
My point is, the fact that people are not approaching Fed to model underwear does not mean Fed lacks charisma. As if modeling underwear indicates charisma or lack of it! :rolleyes: One thing has nothing to do with the other.

8PAQ
01-21-2011, 02:46 PM
http://gototennis.com/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/rafael-nadal-armani-modeling-photos.0002.jpg
or

Hmmm... maybe it's just the camera angle but looks kind of empty down there. Or maybe he leaves them on the court.

octogon
01-21-2011, 02:52 PM
It does not fit his "image." Nobody would ever approach Fed to model underwear and if they did I am pretty sure he would not, only because it does not fit his image at all. He has a more sophisticated image than Nadal does. Nadal is younger and has a more fun type image. Federer and Nadal have completely different images which is the way it should be. It is unlikely that anybody will approach Nadal to model a suit. That is Fed's territory.
My point is, the fact that people are not approaching Fed to model underwear does not mean Fed lacks charisma. As if modeling underwear indicates charisma or lack of it! :rolleyes: One thing has nothing to do with the other.

I agree that nobody would approach Federer to model underwear. He's never had that sort of "sex appeal" image of Nadal or Beckham or Ronaldo.

However, I can easily see Nadal being asked to model suits. There is no reason why he wouldn't be asked to model suits. Someone pointed out that Nadal has more potential endorsement opportunities than most previous tennis players, since he covers most bases. He's very similar to David Beckham in that regard....Beckham gets to advertise absolutely everything...skin/shaving products, phones, haircare suits, underwear, shades, watches ect.

Federer has a certain style and image, which means he isn't as versatile in terms of what he can endorse. Federer doing "sexy" would just look wrong. Someone like Beckham can do "sexy" or "sophisticated" or "cool", depending on what the endorsement is.

rovex
01-21-2011, 02:52 PM
Well comparing this to verdasco's CK pic, verdasco has the bigger weiner. :oops: :lol:

8PAQ
01-21-2011, 02:57 PM
Well comparing this to verdasco's CK pic, verdasco has the bigger weiner. :oops: :lol:

Like I said above, Dasko hides his balls while Nadal leaves them on the court.

sureshs
01-21-2011, 02:57 PM

I think Fed will not be able to fill up the underwear like Nadal can

Markov
01-21-2011, 03:08 PM
I'm not sure if I could even afford those boxer briefs...

cork_screw
01-21-2011, 09:52 PM
Dude, if nadal was selling cherros in the subway, people would pay $30 a piece for them. Anyone who's idolized can sell anything.

Messarger
01-21-2011, 10:21 PM

could further improve on it if his english was more fluent. but i guess that is currently not on his to do list at all.

fedfan08
01-22-2011, 06:04 AM
If Nadal has so many more endorsement posibilities why is he still getting creamed by Fed in that department? Last year Fortune Magazine listed Fed as the #1 paid international athlete, earning over $61M. Combined with American athletes he came in second, behind Tiger Woods. Nadal came in 9th on the international list with $27.4M, combined with the American list he would've come out at #12.

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/specials/fortunate50-2010/index.20.html

I'm not saying Nadal doesn't have a target audience or isn't marketable. I'm just saying there's no evidence he's more marketable than Federer or has more opportunities than Fed.

fedfan08
01-22-2011, 06:07 AM
Looks like Nadal will become an icon of the gay community :)

meg0529
01-22-2011, 06:16 AM
If Nadal has so many more endorsement posibilities why is he still getting creamed by Fed in that department? Last year Fortune Magazine listed Fed as the #1 paid international athlete, earning over $61M. Combined with American athletes he came in second, behind Tiger Woods. Nadal came in 9th on the international list with $27.4M, combined with the American list he would've come out at #12.

I'm not saying Nadal doesn't have a target audience or isn't marketable. I'm just saying there's no evidence he's more marketable than Federer or has more opportunities than Fed.

That's because all the wealthy prissy Swiss companies sponsor him. That's why.

Amelie Mauresmo
01-22-2011, 06:37 AM
I think some straight men are threatened by a man that is attractive like Rafael Nadal. He looks like he has a huge package!

Nadal is smart he needs to strike the iron while it is hot and make as much money as possible.

The good thing for Nadal is he has the grand slam results to back up his sex appeal. Someone like Anna Kournikova was a disgrace because she lacked the results to back up her sex appeal and wasn't taken seriously.

Nadal should exploit his sexuality and make millions off of his hard toned body.

Nadal has something Pete Sampras and Andre Agassi lack and that is sex appeal for straight women and gay men. I don't recall straight women or gay men having fantasies about Sampras or Agassi. Sampras and Agassi are great champions but they are both very unattractive men.

Meanwhile, Roger Federer and Rafael Nadal have sex appeal along with Fernando Verdasco and other Spanish studs such as Robredo, Ferrer, and Lopez.

octogon
01-22-2011, 08:08 AM

People are talking about Nadal's "potential" endorsement possibility. He could exceed Federer, potentially. Just like Federer has 16 grand slams to Nadal's 9, but Nadal could potentially win more, as he's younger and has time on his side. Federer is ahead of Nadal on the endorsement scale because he's had a much bigger head start. Federer has been marketed as the "GOAT" for several years, which is why he is so attractive to endorsers, and has been for a long time.

Nadal always lagged behind Federer on that score. Yeah, he has been considered a great player, but the serious GOAT talk has really only begun in the last year. If you listen to the statement Armani said about choosing Nadal, he said that "Nadal may possibly be the greatest player to ever step on a tennis court"...the reason Armani chose Nadal in the first place, is because Nadal is now being talked up as the potential GOAT. Maybe Armaani weren't interested before the GOAT talk seriously started. Now they are, and others will follow suit. Nadal is only beginning to reach his endorsement potential, wheras Fed has likely reached his endorsement peak.

If Nadal keeps up the GOAT pace, in terms of winning slams, he will eventually have a similar endorsement portfolio as Federer, but again, he will be able to endorse a wider variety of products, because his image is not as set in stone as Federer.

fedfan08
01-22-2011, 11:53 AM
Yes and because he's always lagged behind Roger I say this talk about him surpassing Roger is nonsense. Of course anything is possible, but what evidence is there to back up that claim right now? I'd be one thing if, say, he re-negotiated his contract with Nike for Fed like money, but we haven't seen anything like that. Also because Nadal was good so young he might not be out there playing when he's in his 30s. Might be burned out by then. Who knows.

fedfan08
01-22-2011, 11:55 AM
That's because all the wealthy prissy Swiss companies sponsor him. That's why.Last time I checked Nike, Wilson, Mercedes Benz, Gillette and Net Jets are not Swiss companies. :-?

Rock Strongo
01-22-2011, 11:58 AM
This is actually less abominadle than Pat Cash scratching his medieval donkey, but abominable nonetheless.

SiriusTennis
01-22-2011, 11:59 AM
That's because all the wealthy prissy Swiss companies sponsor him. That's why.

That's very mature...

There's plenty of wealthy Spanish companies as well.

They're both very marketable. They just have different images.

octogon
01-22-2011, 02:59 PM
Yes and because he's always lagged behind Roger I say this talk about him surpassing Roger is nonsense. Of course anything is possible, but what evidence is there to back up that claim right now? I'd be one thing if, say, he re-negotiated his contract with Nike for Fed like money, but we haven't seen anything like that. Also because Nadal was good so young he might not be out there playing when he's in his 30s. Might be burned out by then. Who knows.

Actually I may have misspoke. Far from lagging behind Federer, Nadal is well ahead on him in terms of the growth and pace of his endorsement earnings, at a similar age in Federer's career. Much like Nadal is ahead of Federer in slam/title winning pace.

In 2006, When Federer was 25 and the undisputed greatest player in the world, his annual endorsement earnings were 14 million dollars (he was earning less than Maria Sharapova, who was on 15 million dollars a year). Nadal, 24, currently at a younger age than Federer, is earning pretty much double what a 25 year old Federer did (at 27.5 million dollars) in endorsements. The fact that Federer went from 14 million to 61 million in endorsements in the space of a few years, shows that it's all about "potential". In fact, for several years, the "Federer brand" was considered a big underperformer, and had people wondering why he wasn't earning as much as his status deserved. Federer was initially not hugely attractive to brands, but he underwent a "rebranding" of sorts (Anna Wintour got him to get 800 dollar haircuts, he started wearing smoking jackets and had the whole GQ makeover. They also hooked him up with Tiger Woods, to cream off his popularity with endorsers in the US. That made him attractive to a particular brand of endorsers, and got him to his current position).

But it was hard work to "brand" Federer. It's arguably been a lot easier for Nadal to reach his current level of endorsements, than it was for Fed. Nadal doesn't need as much work put into him to make him marketable. I don't think you need to hook him up with Tiger Woods for example to make him more marketable (though I'm not sure being associated with Woods in 2011 would help anyone, after his fall from grace, Federer included).

The proof is that Nadal is much bigger with endorsers than Federer was a similar stage of their careers. If Fed can go from 14 to 61 in a few years, why can't Nadal go from 27.5 to 89 million in a few years? Unless you believe Nadal will stop winning slams anytime soon, his endorsement earning will increase significantly every year. Armani is just the beginning.

cc0509
01-22-2011, 04:10 PM

Federer and Nadal are both marketable but in different ways. I would not worry about either one of them in terms of their marketablity and cash flow.

TheTruth
01-22-2011, 08:30 PM
Modelling Armani underwear is a highly prestigious thing for an athlete. David Beckham has probably had the biggest portfolio of endorsements of any international athlete of the last 15 years, and his Armani underwear campaign was one of his biggest successes. It helped "brand" Beckham in the American market, and made him even more attractive to endorsers.

Cristiano Ronaldo was also endorsing Armani underwear, at a period when he was voted the best soccer player in the world. Armani only go after the biggest international athletes for their underwear campaigns. You need to be as big as a Beckham or Ronaldo or Nadal....but also you must have a certain level of sex appeal. Lionel Messi may be considered the current best soccer player in the world, but he'll never get the Armani endorsement, because he doesn't have the looks or sex appeal of a Beckham or Ronaldo.

If it's good enough for Beckham or Ronaldo, it's good enough for Nadal.

I agree with this entire post.

Even while you're playing your sport, you have to do things that will segue into your life after your career ends.

Smart move.

If not for the Armani campaigns I wouldn't have ever heard of Beckham and Ronaldo as I don't watch their respective (or maybe they play the same) sports.

Fedace
01-22-2011, 08:33 PM
or

Price would depend on how many days he has been wearing it. All you women on the forum, let your voice be heard..

TheTruth
01-22-2011, 08:34 PM
I agree that nobody would approach Federer to model underwear. He's never had that sort of "sex appeal" image of Nadal or Beckham or Ronaldo.

However, I can easily see Nadal being asked to model suits. There is no reason why he wouldn't be asked to model suits. Someone pointed out that Nadal has more potential endorsement opportunities than most previous tennis players, since he covers most bases. He's very similar to David Beckham in that regard....Beckham gets to advertise absolutely everything...skin/shaving products, phones, haircare suits, underwear, shades, watches ect.

Federer has a certain style and image, which means he isn't as versatile in terms of what he can endorse. Federer doing "sexy" would just look wrong. Someone like Beckham can do "sexy" or "sophisticated" or "cool", depending on what the endorsement is.

Yep. Fed doesn't have a sexy image so it makes sense that he's not asked to model underwear or be in steamy videos.

But, Nadal can do both.

Not that it matters, it looks like there's pretty of endorsements out there for both of them.