PDA

View Full Version : Another retirement! Come on fella's

richied
01-20-2011, 06:21 PM
There seem to be a higher number of retirements this year.

Naly's was pathetic, but the others seem real injuries. Are pro tennis players over doing their training, or is it bad luck, or are some players just not tough enough?

BreakPoint
01-20-2011, 06:24 PM
Have you ever played a 5 hour match that went to 9-7 in the 5th set in a Grand Slam pro tournament against a former #1 player in the world? If not, you shouldn't talk.

Don Felder
01-20-2011, 06:25 PM
I think the modern game, along with length of season, is really starting to take a toll on the players.

Also, perhaps the grittiness of the Aussie Open court is causing more of the strains and pulls. Supposedly it's pretty tough on your body becaue it's so sticky

richied
01-20-2011, 06:45 PM
Have you ever played a 5 hour match that went to 9-7 in the 5th set in a Grand Slam pro tournament against a former #1 player in the world? If not, you shouldn't talk.

He's a pro tennis player at the beginning of a tournament, sure a tough match, but it appeared aerobic fitness was the problem, not injury. Hewitt in the same situation wouldn't have been destroyed bagel style. I've done the Hawaii Ironman 2 times I know about body preparation!

migi
01-20-2011, 06:51 PM
He's not junior, he won't be younger.

zapvor
01-20-2011, 10:03 PM
i have to say its disgraceful-unless you are truly injured, only 1 person gets to fill that spot each year. to retire is a shame. someone else would surely have loved to be playing instead....

BreakPoint
01-20-2011, 10:09 PM
He's a pro tennis player at the beginning of a tournament, sure a tough match, but it appeared aerobic fitness was the problem, not injury. Hewitt in the same situation wouldn't have been destroyed bagel style. I've done the Hawaii Ironman 2 times I know about body preparation!
Then you haven't played a former #1 in the world who ran you ragged for 5 hours?

How about play top level competitive tennis under the scorching Australian summer sun?

Nalbandian was also out for a year with a hip injury and surgery. It's not like he could have gone running to build up his endurance over that time.

Fedex
01-20-2011, 11:52 PM

I agree Nalbandian had an excuse.
Troicki, on the otherhand, playing fellow Serb Djokovic, very suspicious.