PDA

View Full Version : Courier says AO balls are bigger, heavier and slower this year

shadows
01-21-2011, 09:02 AM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4B2stFzwWzo

I've not watched enough to really gauge how much of an impact this has made, but I'm still kind of disappointed since I've never felt the AO needed slowing down any further.

Murrayfan31
01-21-2011, 09:18 AM
Another change to suit Nadal. :rolleyes:

Sid_Vicious
01-21-2011, 09:20 AM
Another change to suit Nadal. :rolleyes:
Don't forget Murray! :)

TJfederer16
01-21-2011, 09:27 AM
Ah rite yer i though it seemed a bit slower than last year, cheers for the info, guess there giving rafa a head start

Bryan Swartz
01-21-2011, 09:45 AM
Yes, because there is no other possible reason to change something like this other than to benefit a specific player.

Eternally_damned
01-21-2011, 10:02 AM
Seems like the world is conspiring to let Nadal surpass Federer.

MichaelNadal
01-21-2011, 10:10 AM
Seems like the world is conspiring to let Nadal surpass Federer.

Who says Nadal cares? It's not 2005 where he can only win on clay geeze. He said himself a week ago he isn't even sure if he prefers slow courts anymore.

TBrady
01-21-2011, 10:12 AM
Yes, because there is no other possible reason to change something like this other than to benefit a specific player.

Haha

10 paranoid whiners.

nikdom
01-21-2011, 10:13 AM
Between the court surface (the grit on AO courts makes the ball sit up - which makes the ball lose more speed on bounce - hence "slower") and the ball specs, tournaments have been moving towards making matches longer with more rallies for many years now.

TBrady
01-21-2011, 10:16 AM
Couriers balls are bigger and heavier at AO due to the swelling humidity said his new wife.

Alchemy-Z
01-21-2011, 10:21 AM
Well most sports have an set amount of time to be played in.

no matter what ball/puck you use in Hockey/Soccer/Football and Basketball you are guaranteed so many minutes of a game.

(and so are the sponsors)

Like today with Venus stopping after 2 games I'm sure the sponsors lost money...fans we unhappy etc..

same with these Bagle&Breadstick Runs

In league I only ever get to see 2 setters with a tie break at most...so when I am watching the pros I am hoping for a 5 setter ( no matter who I pull for) just to see lots of quality tennis.

I'm all for longer points.

they are the most fun to play and the most fun to watch.IMO

aceX
01-21-2011, 10:31 AM
Who says Nadal cares? It's not 2005 where he can only win on clay geeze. He said himself a week ago he isn't even sure if he prefers slow courts anymore.

Yeah we need to give credit to a guy who's won 2 wimblys and a uso. He's arguably the best fast court player of this era behind Roger

Sid_Vicious
01-21-2011, 10:33 AM
Yeah we need to give credit to a guy who's won 2 wimblys and a uso. He's arguably the best fast court player of this era behind Roger

I dont even think it is arguable. Nadal IS the second best fast court player of the era.

TheMagicianOfPrecision
01-21-2011, 10:44 AM
No news there, everything that favours Nadal ATP will do.
But this will also be good news for Murray

Alchemy-Z
01-21-2011, 10:46 AM
No news there, everything that favours Nadal ATP will do.
But this will also be good news for Murray

and even better news for the lines people not getting cussed out on a bad call :)

TBrady
01-21-2011, 10:49 AM
I dont even think it is arguable. Nadal IS the second best fast court player of the era.

A few years ago he couldn't win a hardcourt title if his life depended on it. Its more accurate to say he is the second best fast court player today.

I think of an era as a decade give or take a few years. Encompassing the majority of a players career.

MichaelChang
01-21-2011, 10:54 AM
Why is this good news for Murray? If slow condition is good for Murray then he should have shown some good results in Clay.

Murrayfan31
01-21-2011, 11:05 AM
Why is this good news for Murray? If slow condition is good for Murray then he should have shown some good results in Clay.
Exactly. Murray hates slow courts as most counterpunchers do.

BrooklynNY
01-21-2011, 11:06 AM
They don't play on Fast courts in this era.

bluetrain4
01-21-2011, 11:07 AM
Yeah, while we often obsess about court speed and bounce, we often forget about the balls and how drastically they can vary and how that affects play.

I was shocked to learn that that there's no standard ball specs. I'm sure there are guidelines and parameters but, obviously, there's room for a lot of variance.

Alchemy-Z
01-21-2011, 11:09 AM
Plus its normally scorching hot at the AO and its been quite mild weather so they may have slowed them down to offset the heat.

that hasn't arrived yet and = slower play

where as if they had the regular ones and the heat was us it would be superfast.

Squidward
01-21-2011, 11:14 AM
Are they using pressure-less ball by chance?? (Would explain heavier and slower)

I thought all ball manufactuers had to keep things within specs?? Guess Not...

Murrayfan31
01-21-2011, 11:17 AM
They better fix this problem asap. AO is unwatchable right now with all the moonballing.

BreakPoint
01-21-2011, 11:29 AM

"Fast courts"?? What fast courts? :confused:

There haven't been any fast courts on the pro tour since the indoor carpet courts in the 90's.

Murrayfan31
01-21-2011, 11:32 AM
"Fast courts"?? What fast courts? :confused:

There haven't been any fast courts on the pro tour since the indoor carpet courts in the 90's.
Cincy is close though and we know how Nadal does there. lol

TBrady
01-21-2011, 11:33 AM
The WTF and the USO has fast courts. Im sure some of the smaller hard court tournaments in the US are fast to.

Nadalfan89
01-21-2011, 11:36 AM
You guys are so funny. Absolutely everything is some pro-Nadal conspiracy.

yellowoctopus
01-21-2011, 11:40 AM
Courier says AO balls are bigger, heavier and slower this year

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/_ThhhfDi8894/S4Y0d4XKUMI/AAAAAAAAALw/RnfOfFJCJXg/s320/MichaelScott.jpg

Apologies to all, had to do it.

MichaelChang
01-21-2011, 11:43 AM
Why don't they just change all surface to clay.

BrooklynNY
01-21-2011, 11:47 AM
The WTF and the USO has fast courts. Im sure some of the smaller hard court tournaments in the US are fast to.

Once again, the USO is not fast. Seriously. I play there. It's not.

nikdom
01-21-2011, 12:00 PM

Compared to? and what is fast in your opinion?

TBrady
01-21-2011, 12:01 PM
Compared to? and what is fast in your opinion?

Right. Compared to the AO they are damn fast.

MichaelNadal
01-21-2011, 12:02 PM

Right. i believe you over the majority of the ATP. im sure you have played on more courts than them. Seems everyone agreed it was fast until rafito won.

Nadalfan89
01-21-2011, 12:03 PM
Nadal could win a major on ice and people would call it slow. Ignore the idiots.

Bryan Swartz
01-21-2011, 12:04 PM
Compared to what some courts used to be, there are no fast courts, sure.

But there are some courts faster than others. Nothing wrong with calling them fast. If courts were as fast as some of the indoor ones or American HC used to be, I think tennis would be worse for it given some of the ball speeds today.

nikdom
01-21-2011, 12:07 PM
USO is fast. Not as fast as Cincy but much faster than AO, faster perhaps even than Wimby. If you doubt me, watch some videos of rallies at Arthur Ashe vs points from the AO and Wimby.

Just because Nadal won there does not make it slow. It makes Nadal a pretty good player.

BrooklynNY
01-21-2011, 12:09 PM
Compared to the super slick indoor courts they had at Hempstead Lake Indoor tennis, and still have at Carefree Racquet Club in Long Island... I thought the USO was fast until I played on those indoor surfaces.

To me, those are normal paced courts at the USTA center. I guess I'm just used to a faster pace than the ATP standard.

kOaMaster
01-21-2011, 12:10 PM
Courier says AO balls are bigger, heavier and slower this year

you sure he wasn't talking about kim clijsters?

jwbarrientos
01-21-2011, 01:14 PM
In Sharapova's match the official went so far slowing down the court, isn't it?

http://sports.yahoo.com/tennis/blog/busted_racquet/post/Video-Maria-Sharapova-finds-dead-spot-on-Austra?urn=ten-310644

The-Champ
01-21-2011, 01:23 PM
This will favor everyone who grew up playing on clay, like Federer.

Eternally_damned
01-21-2011, 01:35 PM
All of Nadal's records are tainted be he could not do any of this back in the 70s.

david93
01-21-2011, 01:38 PM
Nadal could win a major on ice and people would call it slow. Ignore the idiots.

It's not only about Rafa, I'd really like to see more serve and volley etc..
They've even slowed down Wimbledon which always was my favourite GS, until the grass became a slightly faster clay court..

BreakPoint
01-21-2011, 02:10 PM
Right. i believe you over the majority of the ATP. im sure you have played on more courts than them. Seems everyone agreed it was fast until rafito won.
The US Open courts are only fast compared to red clay courts, but they are not fast for hardcourts, and nowhere near as fast as indoor carpet courts.

Jchurch
01-21-2011, 02:14 PM

He has 5 RGs. Numerous clay masters. Until he actually constantly does well on fast courts, he still loves slower ones.

Bobby Jr
01-21-2011, 02:27 PM
This is sort of disappointing to me. If anything I would have preferred the AO were sped up a little from last year. I already wondered if the resurfacing each year wasn't also partially to blame but the balls certainly also play a big part. I play on courts exactly the same bounce and speed at the AO on occasion (laid by the same person even) and they are significantly slower than any other hard courts I play on.

CityTennis22
01-21-2011, 02:35 PM
I'll be honest if the court is gritty and the balls are heavier and sitting up longer I think that benefits the guys who bomb their groundies like Soderling, Tsonga, and Berdych. Verdasco too. It hurts guys like Isner who only have the big serve and not much else to back it up with.

Bryan Swartz
01-21-2011, 08:53 PM
All of Nadal's records are tainted be he could not do any of this back in the 70s.

Nonsense. You could just as easily say all of the past stars records are tainted because they couldn't do it on the courts of today.

nadal_slam_king
01-21-2011, 10:23 PM
The players obviously know a lot more about the balls than silly old Courier :lol: and that's the kind of question he should be asking in post-match interviews, but he's probably too afraid to in case they disagree :lol:

BLACKOUT
01-21-2011, 10:27 PM
Paris Masters 2010, they sped up the court quite a bit, I would just like the Australian to be absolutely fair and even as far as speed and bounce and type of ball, but everything goes in cycles, but this cycle is taking a little big longer

Bartelby
01-21-2011, 10:28 PM
The AO surface is like sandpaper, so you fall, you scrape.

Bryan Swartz
01-21-2011, 10:30 PM
How could it be absolutely fair and even? Serious question. No matter what the speed is, people would complain about it one way or the other, and given that you can't control the weather and heat has a significant impact --- but even besides that, what is a 'fair and even' speed?

AndrewD
01-21-2011, 11:14 PM
Between the court surface (the grit on AO courts makes the ball sit up - which makes the ball lose more speed on bounce - hence "slower") and the ball specs, tournaments have been moving towards making matches longer with more rallies for many years now.

There is no 'grit' on the AO courts; they're hardcourts, not sandpaper.

As for tournaments slowing courts, it's been happening since Sampras retired and is done for the benefit of the television networks- the idea being that even if the top players win every set to love the points will be dragged out a bit longer.

TheNatural
01-21-2011, 11:48 PM
The AO slowed the balls down after they saw Rafa give Fed a beating in Abu Dhabi, they wanted to give the old man a chance to chase down more balls.

Bobby Jr
01-22-2011, 04:47 AM
No, but they are very rough. They almost have the texture of sandpaper and are a ****** if you fall and are unlucky enough to catch a knuckle or knee.

nikdom
01-22-2011, 08:13 AM

As for tournaments slowing courts, it's been happening since Sampras retired and is done for the benefit of the television networks- the idea being that even if the top players win every set to love the points will be dragged out a bit longer.

Sorry you don't know what you're talking about.

fedfan08
01-22-2011, 10:59 AM

As for tournaments slowing courts, it's been happening since Sampras retired and is done for the benefit of the television networks- the idea being that even if the top players win every set to love the points will be dragged out a bit longer.Yes there is 'grit'. It's called all the sand they put in the paint. Darren Cahill talked about how gritty the courts are. Pam Shriver complained about the balls being used, especially that they fluff up after some use (becuase of the gritty courts). Rebound ace was unique. These courts are more like Indian Wells courts, which are probably the slowest courts on tour.

kishnabe
01-22-2011, 11:20 AM

Yo, Ice Courts are still the slowest courts...the ball would get wet and slow down further and Nadal would win easily with the conditions! Nadal has the best foorwork to play on ice other would be left with injuries!

DNShade
01-22-2011, 01:37 PM

Wow. Talk about someone who knows nothing about what he is posting about. Actually they are exactly sandpaper. The surface is made up of sand mixed into the final coat. All hardcourts are "sandpaper" - including USO. The AO surface just is "grittier" than most others.

So maybe next time you might want to have at least some vague idea of what you are talking about before you post. Just a suggestion.

SuperDuy
01-22-2011, 02:21 PM
Either that, or they slowed the surface down. Less favorable for the big servers now. :(

TheBoom
01-22-2011, 02:24 PM
Either that, or they slowed the surface down. Less favorable for the big servers now. :(

Until you watched Cilic and Isner go at it haha :)

bboimn
01-23-2011, 12:40 AM
If the balls are supposedly slowing down this yr's play, why do we still see a lot of 3-set finishes on the men's side?

DNShade
01-23-2011, 12:44 AM
Everyone - players included - are talking about the balls being slower and fluffing up much quicker this year. So it's a fact - not just Jim talking.