PDA

View Full Version : The best analyst in Tennis

jdubbs
01-21-2011, 09:45 AM
Sounds like Andre Agassi isn't going to do any more TV commentary anymore, but definitely one of the best I've heard in the times that he was on.
Sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUvvX1SwQTw

Interview from Yesterday:
Question: Every time youíve gotten behind the microphone to do commentary for tennis, itís been very well-received. Have you ever considered going into broadcasting further?

Agassi: No, Iíve never really considered that just because of whatís required to do it well and to do it full time. The traveling. You have to stay connected to the game. There are certain things I understand about the game, but the longer the game goes, the more I donít understand about it because the athlete gets better, the equipment changes, the string changes, the shot selection changes, the weaknesses get harder to recognize when you havenít been out there on the other side of the net.

I think everybody goes through a period of time after theyíve played where they are a really good to great commentator. Then, unless youíre out there staying close to the game week after week, you inevitably lose touch.

I think that would be the same with me if Iím not paying the price. And I would never do anything sort of halfway, I would have to fully commit to it.

Gaudio2004
01-21-2011, 10:22 AM
Jimmy Arias is another brilliant commentator. He made an unbelievable observation about Federer during the World Tour Finals, one of those things you hear and you sort of change how you view Federer.

BigServer1
01-21-2011, 11:08 AM
Jimmy Arias is another brilliant commentator. He made an unbelievable observation about Federer during the World Tour Finals, one of those things you hear and you sort of change how you view Federer.

Care to share what Arias' observation was?

TBrady
01-21-2011, 11:10 AM
Thanks for the cliffhanger.

nikdom
01-21-2011, 11:11 AM

He said, Roger tugs on the right shoulder of his shirt on random points.

ollinger
01-21-2011, 11:23 AM
I'm with Gaudio on this. I feel like I always learn something interesting from Arias.

jdubbs
01-21-2011, 11:44 AM
Way to hijack the thread, guys.

Cup8489
01-21-2011, 12:13 PM
Yeah, Arias is good. he seems to pick up on the strategies that a player is utilizing in the match he comments on, and he also knows somewhat about the equipment. I always enjoy when he's up.

BrooklynNY
01-21-2011, 12:16 PM
Martina Navratilova is the best in my opinion.

Cup8489
01-21-2011, 12:19 PM

Idk. She's honest, but alot of the time she seems like she's just got sour grapes about what she said, and I get tired of her always talkin about how awesome Kuznetsova is... she's really not that great.. and i wish she'd stop saying it. She's really kinda biased in that way.

ON top of that, she talks too much, just keeps goin and goin, like Pam Shriver except not as creepy or stupid.

nikdom
01-21-2011, 12:22 PM

You never know what you might get with Martina. She's got an edge to her that can seem resentful or hateful sometimes. Plus she still has that Eastern European drone which puts me to sleep.

8PAQ
01-21-2011, 12:24 PM
sureshs is by far the best analyst in tennis. Thanks to him Fed has now 4 more slams (16 + 4 real slams = 20 slams! ):

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=282818&highlight=Cincinnati+real+slam

Also, thanks to his impeccable logic we now all realize that Nadal is currently not holding any slams since he didn't play Fed in his last 3 slams thus they didn't really count:

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showpost.php?p=5329043&postcount=29

nikdom
01-21-2011, 12:26 PM
sureshs is by far the best analyst in tennis. Thanks to him Fed has now 4 more slams (16 + 4 real slams = 20 slams! ):

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=282818&highlight=Cincinnati+real+slam

Also, thanks to his impeccable logic we now all realize that Nadal is currently not holding any slams since he didn't play Fed in his last 3 slams thus they didn't really count:

Yes. Sureshs is all by himself in the category of analysts. He holds a double doctorate on Fed's backhand.

Gorecki
01-21-2011, 12:29 PM

or women being superior athletes...

BrooklynNY
01-21-2011, 12:31 PM
Yeah. I hear what youre saying about Martina. It's like the competitiveness is still fully burning inside of her.
But I like that edge, like how when Ryan Sweeting served up 80mph first serves to Nadal she was like "I used to be able to serve 80....and still can"
I like her brash honestly, I feel like she atleast commentates from a player perspective, rather than a Patrick McEnroe ESPN fantasy storyline.

jdubbs
01-21-2011, 12:36 PM
She made a good point in the Sweeting match, he spun in a serve on a big point and she was incredulous that he would do so. Go for big shots! At this level, most top guys would crush you, and Nadal did.

Markov
01-21-2011, 12:55 PM
I agree. Agassi's a great commentator, one of the best.

CCNM
01-21-2011, 01:13 PM
I like Bud Collins-he's a character.

nadal_slam_king
01-21-2011, 01:16 PM
Sounds like Andre Agassi isn't going to do any more TV commentary anymore, but definitely one of the best I've heard in the times that he was on.
Sample: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GUvvX1SwQTw

Interview from Yesterday:
Question: Every time youíve gotten behind the microphone to do commentary for tennis, itís been very well-received. Have you ever considered going into broadcasting further?

Agassi: No, Iíve never really considered that just because of whatís required to do it well and to do it full time. The traveling. You have to stay connected to the game. There are certain things I understand about the game, but the longer the game goes, the more I donít understand about it because the athlete gets better, the equipment changes, the string changes, the shot selection changes, the weaknesses get harder to recognize when you havenít been out there on the other side of the net.

I think everybody goes through a period of time after theyíve played where they are a really good to great commentator. Then, unless youíre out there staying close to the game week after week, you inevitably lose touch.

I think that would be the same with me if Iím not paying the price. And I would never do anything sort of halfway, I would have to fully commit to it.

Even his response to that question was extremely good commentary!

luishcorreia
01-21-2011, 01:45 PM
Marry Carrilo?? :)

luishcorreia
01-21-2011, 01:46 PM
Courrier is nice! I also like Pat McEnroe

The-Champ
01-21-2011, 01:47 PM
In TW, the best analysts are Benhur and Drakulie (even thought he hates Nadal)

Proset
01-21-2011, 02:48 PM
I think it's between Arias and Cahill. Courier and Johnny Mac can also be very analytical and entertaining at times. I don't really like Martina because she always sounds bitter, Shriver because she keeps talking and talking and talking, PMac because he always finds a reason to bring recent Davis Cup success or comment on how promising Querrey and Isner look. Some part of me likes Fowler (always wonder how much tennis he actually plays), but maybe it just comes from watching college football in the fall.

nadal_slam_king
01-21-2011, 05:47 PM
It's all very close, too hard to say who the definite best commentator is. But Jim Courier is the absolute worst commentator, he has zero intuition, he misread all the big matches and talks up one player and that player ends up losing. He gets everything wrong (unless its an obvious matchup). Anything 50-50, Courier will misread it.

Brad Gilbert, John Mac and Pat Cash are the best in my opinion.

Gaudio2004
01-22-2011, 02:15 PM

Arias said that when Federer gets tight, he tends to take the ball a little too early and that's when we see a mishit from Federer, he also said this occurs to his forehand in shorter rallies, whilst to his backhand in longer rallies - the reasoning being that in shorter rallies his forehand will look to quickly end the point where as in longer points he will eventually start striking his backhand harder to force an error from the opponent. Against Simon in his round two match this year, both of what Arias said applied, after about 25+ shots in a rally, when Federer lost these type of rallies, it was usually Federer taking his backhand too early that would cause the error.

It shows (to me, anyway) the difference in how Federer will approach a rally thats 1-5 ~ strokes and a rally thats 15+ strokes with his groundstrokes.

It's all very close, too hard to say who the definite best commentator is. But Jim Courier is the absolute worst commentator, he has zero intuition, he misread all the big matches and talks up one player and that player ends up losing. He gets everything wrong (unless its an obvious matchup). Anything 50-50, Courier will misread it.

Brad Gilbert, John Mac and Pat Cash are the best in my opinion.

Jim Courier, to me anyway, presents himself as a very nice and humble person, but he seems so awkward - you almost feel bad for him when he gets a prediction wrong.

Thanks for the cliffhanger.

Sorry for not responding at the convenient time!

TheTruth
01-22-2011, 08:10 PM
I like Martina, Lindsay, and Jimmy Connors.

nikdom
01-22-2011, 09:29 PM
Marry Carrilo?? :)

--deleted--

Knightmace
01-22-2011, 11:51 PM
Best - Agaasi and Martina
Worst - Brad Gilbert

FeŮa14
01-22-2011, 11:54 PM
Peter Fleming, Frew McMillan.

Polvorin
01-23-2011, 02:07 AM
JMac and Martina are the most insightful and interesting to listen to in my experience.

batz
01-23-2011, 02:09 AM
Dan Maskell is commentator GOAT.

Oh I say!

PCXL-Fan
01-23-2011, 02:28 AM
Dick "oh my!" Enberg.

His brilliant analysis of tennis in recent years has left many viewers dumbfounded.

rallyjunkie
01-23-2011, 06:26 AM
Arias is fantastic. So is Cahill, BG, Pat McEnroe, Stolle, Drysdale. Martina is very good at times.

Babolast
01-23-2011, 06:33 AM
Jason Goodall.

thelastfurlong
01-23-2011, 07:31 AM
Frew McMillan on Eurosport is legendary!!

whoopinstick
01-23-2011, 09:44 AM
I thought jim courier was a good analyst when he is commentating. He doesn't commentate that often though.

forehandshanker
01-23-2011, 11:20 AM

Arias' observation on Federer was that his FH contact point is too early when he's nervous. Hence the FH shanks & errors at key moments.

CStennis11
01-23-2011, 06:09 PM
I like John Mac and Brad Gilbert

Oceansize
01-23-2011, 06:13 PM
Frew McMillan on Eurosport is legendary!!

He's my favorite too. As well as making insightful technical & tactical observations, he often very funny as well.

ser_renely
01-23-2011, 06:21 PM
Cahill is by far the best I see. P. Mcenroe and Drysdale are good as well, although they are more announcing and not really analyzing that much.