PDA

View Full Version : should Venus retire?

eliza
01-21-2011, 11:21 AM
Hello, virtual buddies.
I read today that Venus had to leave after just one game at AU. Too bad.
But the reaction of the press all over the world was shocking to me. She should retire, she is finished, past, obsolete.

I think she and her sister are just burned out, but not finished.

I was happy when Martina Navratilova (already considered too old to win) came back to professional tennis in 2004. It stands as awesome message to all of us over 30.................

Thus, I am asking to you: why should a woman who has clearly devoted all her life to tennis just bow and leave? Should the WTA be organized differently, to prevent burn outs, to prolong careers?

sureshs
01-21-2011, 11:23 AM
Martina came back only to play doubles, isn't it?

Douggo
01-21-2011, 11:27 AM
It's important to try to be the first person to call for a player's retirement.
For some reason, if I determine Venus is incapable of winning another slam, she should retire. Yet, for some other reason, apparently, Melanie Oudin should keep playing.

ollinger
01-21-2011, 11:33 AM
I find every one of these retirement threads irritating. They're so naive and presumptuous. A person should retire when he/she no longer derives pleasure or gratification from what he does, or of course if he needs the money. Period. I strongly suspect Venus still enjoys the challenge of competing on the tour. I have numerous colleagues in their 70s and even 80s still active in their practices because they love what they do. I can't imagine ever suggesting to one (unless he was clearly impaired) that he should retire.

SuperFly
01-21-2011, 02:36 PM
If Venus should retire because she got injured, then Nadal should have been gone for years, Roddick would have left last year because of mono, etc etc.