PDA

View Full Version : Ferdasco's forehand is...

Nadalfan89
01-21-2011, 11:38 AM
better than Nadal's and Federer's. He hit a 117 mph forehand winner this week, and he can put just as much topspin on his forehand as Nadal, and he can flatten it out and hit bullets at will. Add the fact that it's a left stroke, and I think we have a strong case for best forehand on tour.

Gorecki
01-21-2011, 11:41 AM
oh yes.. and Davydenko is GOAT as shown by the H2H vs the Nr. 1

Nadalfan89
01-21-2011, 11:42 AM
oh yes.. and Davydenko is GOAT as shown by the H2H vs the Nr. 1

Another pointless post by you.

kishnabe
01-21-2011, 11:43 AM
Verdasco Forehand is huge but what inside he forehead is small!

Totai
01-21-2011, 11:45 AM
better than Nadal's and Federer's. He hit a 117 mph forehand winner this week, and he can put just as much topspin on his forehand as Nadal, and he can flatten it out and hit bullets at will. Add the fact that it's a left stroke, and I think we have a strong case for best forehand on tour.

hitting one 117 mph FH doesnt make your forehand the best in the game. If he can cosistently hit 117 mph forehands and get them in (we all witnessed how many forehand errors he made against Tipsy) then maybe he can be in discussion with Nadal and Federer

Gorecki
01-21-2011, 11:47 AM
Another pointless post by you.

another pointless thread by you...

FeVer
01-21-2011, 11:58 AM
another pointless thread by you...

Not really. His FH is insanely good. People disregard it too often because they don't see Verdasco in the slam finals.

rovex
01-21-2011, 12:03 PM
Verdasco has the best down the line forehand in the game. That's all I can say.

Lotto
01-21-2011, 12:06 PM
To say that I am a Federer Fanatic is probably an understatement to say the least and I believe that Rog's forehand is one of the greatest strokes in the history of our game due to the amazing technical variety...the mixture of the straight arm and double bends, the varation of hand and arm rotation and the different finishes. The inside out forehand, forehand approach, inside in, angle, he's got it all but I also have to admit that Verdascos forehand is a thing of beauty. It's explosive, powerful and deadly and I do agree that it is up there with the Federer and Nadal forehand but don't think it's quite as consistent...yet perhaps..

Cup8489
01-21-2011, 12:07 PM
If he's confident in a match he can absolutely rack the ball, especially the inside out and down the line forehands. I wish I had the racquet speed he does..

He, more than any other player, makes me wanna buy his racquet that he endorses. lol.

Nadalfan89
01-21-2011, 12:09 PM
In a match situation, I would take Fedal forehand over Verdasco, but in a forehand "skills competition", I think Verdasco would be better. His forehand is just something to awe at when it's "on".

[d]ragon
01-21-2011, 12:11 PM
But he makes much more errors off the forehand than Fed or Nadal. How is forehand is better if it makes costs him more points?

Cup8489
01-21-2011, 12:15 PM
ragon;5346452']But he makes much more errors off the forehand than Fed or Nadal. How is forehand is better if it makes costs him more points?

it's a point-ender, for good or bad. If verdasco wants to end the point, there's nothing anyone can do about it. If you see the AO semi, he was rackin the ball the whole time, and it took all of Nadal's defensive skills to stick in those points, but even then, more often than not Verdasco got the better of him. really cool to watch.. I hope verdasco peaks like that again. It was absolutely lights out tennis.

rovex
01-21-2011, 12:18 PM
Just watch his match yesterday vs Nishikori, the forehand wasn't missing. And, verdasco was going big.

Xemi666
01-21-2011, 12:35 PM
Consistency is one of, if not the greatest quality you need in great strokes. And Verdasco's forehand is not consistent, so no. It's the same as overrating Nalbandian's talent (to mention someone) because he beat Nadal and Federer years ago in the same tournament.

[Z]engin
01-21-2011, 12:51 PM
David Foster Wallace described Federer's exceptional speed, fluidity and brute force of this forehand motion as "a great liquid whip,"while John McEnroe has referred to Federer's forehand as "the greatest shot in our sport."

The Mac > OP.

Eternally_damned
01-21-2011, 01:37 PM
LOL, since when is Nadal's FH in the same league as Fed's? Hence a Fedal FH? Give me a break. LOL.

Jchurch
01-21-2011, 01:39 PM
What good is a forehand if it's hit and miss most of the time. Yes his forehand is amazing, seemingly making it a hybrid of Federer and Nadal. But it isn't that amazing when it goes into miss mode. Frankly, I still don't think it is better than peak Fed's.

IvanAndreevich
01-21-2011, 01:54 PM
He doesn't really know how to manage it. Makes no difference how hard you can hit it. Makes a difference if you can win matches with it.

flyinghippos101
01-21-2011, 01:57 PM
If he's able to consistantly hit with that much pace with accuracy, then yes, he has the best forehand on tour, but he doesn't. So no, decent spin and ocassionally being able hit some winners with pace doesn't make it the best forehand on tour.

BobFL
01-21-2011, 02:07 PM
Way too streaky. That does not cut it if you want to reach AND stay within top 10. And mph has nothing to do with quality. Whenever I see that as an "argument" and now how knowledgeable an 'analyst' is :)

FeVer
01-21-2011, 02:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CiXIIRG38zc

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S9zRcboRC-U

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aTgI4zmFXkE

What's not to like?!

That, my friends, is the most authentic textbook forehand in the men's game.

cknobman
01-21-2011, 02:14 PM
Just watch his match yesterday vs Nishikori, the forehand wasn't missing. And, verdasco was going big.

Well yeah its easy to hit huge forehands when you opponent sets you up with a nice high slow topsin shot.

I was watching rallies where Nishikori would be doing fine handling Verdasco and then make the mistake of hitting one soft shot that sat up and that is when Verdasco would let it rip.

CityTennis22
01-21-2011, 02:46 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ms19MCEdESQ

Wow, he hit a 117 mph forehand. Cool. Monfils did it 4 years ago. Does that mean his forehand is awesome because he can hit a heavy spinner and flatten it out too? No.

bolo
01-21-2011, 02:49 PM
I don't think it's as good as nadal's or federer's. But if you gave dasco their defensive skills, his forehand hit rates would get closer to theirs.

PerfectStorm
01-21-2011, 03:21 PM
On the techinical standpoint, Verdasco's forehand stroke is a thing of beauty. When the ball goes to him in the middle of the court than he can really punish the ball by putting some heavy topspin or flattening it out. However Nando makes a lot's of unfoced errors with his fh when he is on the run. Also when the ball goes to the deep corner of his forehand side, his forehand becomes weak because he tries to put more spin to stay in the point. He can't seem to hit a heavy penetrating ball when he is off balance. At times, you might see him hit some incredable winners, but most of the time his forehand becomes weak when running side to side. Compared to Fed's forehand, which is more consistant and penetrating even on the run, Nando doesnt have the best fh in my opinion. Australian Open at 09 might be an exception b/c he was playing with so much confidence, but right now I don't see the 09 Verdasco.

piece
01-21-2011, 03:55 PM
In a match situation, I would take Fedal forehand over Verdasco, but in a forehand "skills competition", I think Verdasco would be better. His forehand is just something to awe at when it's "on".

This is kind of how I feel about Verdasco's forehand. I think I'd express it more like this though: if Verdasco's movement was as good as Nadal or Federer's, then his forehand would be clearly better than either's.

Federer from 2004 to 2006, however, is a different prospect altogether - Verdasco's forehand is not that good, whether we're talking pure skill or match situation or imaging his movement were better or whatever, no other forehand has ever been that good.

ARIARAIDEN
01-22-2011, 05:11 AM
If he is on = Best Forehand of all time