PDA

View Full Version : Your coldest day playing outdoor tennis

jigar
01-21-2011, 07:14 PM
I live in Northern Nevada and it gets cold here in winter.
I love to play tennis and I play almost everyday as long as there is no snow on the court. I am really used to play in cold weather after many years of outdoor tennis in winter months.
I regularly play in low 20 F. I play around 8-8:30 in winter months.
I remember the coldest day couple of years back and it was 12 F = -11.11 C

Share your experience.
Playing indoor or inside bubble doesn't count..

r2473
01-21-2011, 07:51 PM
I was playing mixed doubles. My female opponent came riding in on a broom and was wearing a brass bra.

The weather that day was colder than this woman.

SuperDuy
01-21-2011, 08:01 PM
4 celsius guessing that is 38 f

dak95_00
01-21-2011, 08:53 PM
Right now, I don't care about the temperature. I'll play as long as there isn't snow on the courts or a high wind. Other than that, I played and it was apporx. 25F out. I had on shorts, t-shirt, hooded sweatshirt, winter hat, winter golf gloves, and crew socks. I was sweating like crazy. I'd almost consider shoveling the snow off of the courts if they weren't calling for more snow and I didn't have an opportunity to play inside.

I'm lucky. I have a friend sho is as crazy as I am. He'll play in just shorts and a t-shirt. That's the difference between 39 and 25!

Power Player
01-21-2011, 09:21 PM
You guys are beast mode. Under 40 degrees and I usually take the night off.

westside
01-21-2011, 09:31 PM
2 degree celcius. Was at 8am on a winter morning. What made it worse is that we were playing in like a valley surrounded by trees so sunlight couldn't come through.

I have a 1 handed backhand and by the end of my singles, my left hand was completely numb.

jigar
01-21-2011, 09:34 PM
Right now, I don't care about the temperature. I'll play as long as there isn't snow on the courts or a high wind. Other than that, I played and it was apporx. 25F out. I had on shorts, t-shirt, hooded sweatshirt, winter hat, winter golf gloves, and crew socks. I was sweating like crazy. I'd almost consider shoveling the snow off of the courts if they weren't calling for more snow and I didn't have an opportunity to play inside.

I'm lucky. I have a friend sho is as crazy as I am. He'll play in just shorts and a t-shirt. That's the difference between 39 and 25!

This reminds me, we also have few guys up here, who are crazy about tennis like me. As a matter of fact I found winter is the best time to work on the game because I know there won't be many players out there to play so I can play for long hours. Cold temperature also helps the endurance.

I went from 2-9(W-L) 4.0 to 9-2(W-L) 4.0 in a year and from 4.0 to 4.5 next year. I hope to be a strong 4.5 or close to 5.0 this year after this winter's hard practice season.

jigar
01-21-2011, 09:35 PM
:) We say up here only the real men come out and play during winter. :-) :):)

AhmedD
01-22-2011, 12:12 AM
Doesn't get cold here much, I'm use to the cold though, played 4 straight hour at 9 degrees Celsius. Hottest day I played was 47 degrees Celsius for about 5 hours or so.

Andres
01-22-2011, 07:18 AM
1C or 33F.

The temperature here rarely goes below 32F

Larrysümmers
01-22-2011, 09:19 AM
it sucks, i would love to play but it isnt the cold, it is the snow!

mikeler
01-22-2011, 10:35 AM
I played when it was around freezing one time in college. That was not much fun.

flyinghippos101
01-22-2011, 11:36 AM
I was once playing in -20 degrees celcius! I had no idea what convinced me at the time but i can tell you the session didnt last too long. I regularily practice a while back when i cared about my junior ranking during the winter in -5 to -10 degrees.

kevoT
01-22-2011, 01:27 PM
Wouldn't like to play here :) it varies every day but, it's generally around -5 to -25 Celsius and the snow stays from Maybe november to april but, before winter it rains a fair bit so we can't play outside that much because of rain (we have clay courts outside).

So, can't play outside because of snow and rain. Also, we have indoor courts so there is no need to play outside when it's wet or snowy. Overall I think the coldest I've played in was 8 centigrade.

*breaksracquet
01-22-2011, 05:49 PM
NC is weird with its weather...

2 weekends ago, I played in 28 F around 11am
Last weekend, wife and I played and it was 54 F
Tomorrow, its around 34 F and I'm scheduled to play doubles

(Blank)
01-22-2011, 09:17 PM
Worst I've played in was a high school tournament in the middle of a snow flurry. Courts somehow managed to stay dry for most of the tournament except for a small break where it started getting heavy. Returning on one side was terrible with the snow constantly blowing straight into your eyes.

justinyyang
01-22-2011, 09:35 PM
My friend(s) and I usually tough it out during the winter. It's the only time where we get more practice than the opposing high school players during the off-season.

I'm not sure what the temperature was, but one day we just couldn't take it. It was cold and there was also a nasty wind. Half of our bodies were numb within 45 minutes, haha. Talk about dedication. We left after that 45 mintues.

max
01-23-2011, 01:58 PM
As a teen, I'd play in the mid-20s. It's not that bad if the sun's shining. It made the strings feel lousy, though.

DeShaun
01-23-2011, 10:59 PM
The temp was probably in the mid-high 20s a couple of times when I was playing sets against a buddy of mine back in November. We've also played sets (very carefully) when it was snowing outside.

jazar
01-24-2011, 01:04 AM
don't know about temperature, but i did once play a junior tournament on astro turf courts which were half covered with snow and ice

ericsson
01-24-2011, 01:49 AM
2 degree celcius. Was at 8am on a winter morning. What made it worse is that we were playing in like a valley surrounded by trees so sunlight couldn't come through.

I have a 1 handed backhand and by the end of my singles, my left hand was completely numb.

This is the major problem when temperatures getting below 6 degrees Celcius, the hands are getting numb and no feel in the fingers while the body temperature is usually no problem when stay in motion.

Here we play till mid november, (when it starts the freeze clay courts are nearly unplayable)

Zefer
01-24-2011, 03:07 AM
Freezing temperatures. I've played on astroturf courts that were flooded with snow and ice before too.

RD 7
01-26-2011, 07:38 PM
-22 (platform tennis)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wSlOBaakMc&feature=related

2ManyAces
01-30-2011, 12:58 PM
Coldest for me was 40 Fahrenheit. :)