PDA

View Full Version : Weight differance between 2 same frames?

Hewitt_will_be_#1
04-21-2004, 08:42 PM
I use the Head I.Prestige MP XL. I have been rotating two of them in, but broke one in a tantrum :(. Anyway, I purchased a new one through TW but the thing is, the balance and swingweight feel way different from the one i have been using. I'm not sure about static weight, I have not measured them. Both are strung with Klip Hardcore 16 at 62lbs, with a Super Grap overgrip, both are 4 3/8. Only noticeable differance between the two in terms of appearance is that on my older on the silver graphics are faded and my scratch gaurd is worn down, but thats it. I do not think it is possible that just a worn down scracth gaurd can make a differance in terms of balance/swingweight. So did I just receive a bad frame? Or could it be that I am so used to the old racquet, that even a little differance (marginal, perhaps 3-5 grams or so) could be sensed? Any helpful replies would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Steve Huff
04-21-2004, 09:18 PM
I imagine its something subjective about one frame that makes it feel heavier. A friend brought over a couple of Prince Hornets (same grip size). I asked him which felt heavier. The one he indicated also felt heavier to me. I weighed them, and the one we'd felt was heavier was actually 0.2oz lighter. So, I measured their balance points, and they were the same. How could both of us pick the heavier racket as the lighter one? Don't know, but their must have been something subjective that made it seem heavier.

Hewitt_will_be_#1
04-21-2004, 09:51 PM
so perhaps it may be more of a mental thing than a physical differance? interesting...perhaps if i weighed them, and found out that both were the same weight, my mentality will be changed so i could use both the same way.

edit: PS is there a simple way to check balance points? im curious about this as well.

Reza
04-22-2004, 06:45 AM
The difference is in the grip. Is it coincidence that you both thought one was heavier, or felt different playing out there? Maybe, but the way a racquet sits in your hand will affect the way it feels, even what muscles are being used to support it. Maybe one had a different grip size/shape/or even tackiness. We all have two of the same racquets, strung exactly the same, yet sometimes, one of the two becomes a favorite of yours----for a while. It's a matter of comfort/perception. This is no different than your hand weighing of the racquets.