PDA

View Full Version : Ball Changes

GetBetterer
01-23-2011, 01:26 AM
Hello gals and guys,

For those of us who watch professional tennis, we know that they change balls every 9 games (with the exception of the first change being 7 games due to warm ups).

Would it be more efficient to base it off of points rather than games?

Opinions welcome.

ollinger
01-23-2011, 04:34 AM
Well gee, since points vary in length you really mean that someone should count HITS of the ball rather than points, don't you? And harder hits should count double what a drop shot counts, right, as they likely put more wear and tear on the ball? Those approaches would mean changing balls in the middle of a game, and I think the feeling is that you don't want a server and receiver to have to adjust to a different feel right in the middle of a game. And it might mean that the same guy could get to serve with new balls every time, a slight advantage. The current way leads to alternating "new balls" serving.

r2473
01-23-2011, 07:20 AM
I think they should count the number of times each ball gets hit and change balls after a certain number. I realize that sometimes they would have to stop the point, but I think that would be the best way.

ollinger
01-23-2011, 12:48 PM
Excellent idea! The chair umpire could instruct the ballkid to run onto the court, catch the ball, and toss a new one in the direction it was headed.

aceX
01-23-2011, 01:11 PM
They should stop the point, then hand the new ball to the person who's turn it is within the point to hit the ball. They can't serve it though they have to start the point off with a ground stroke. The umpire will also need to announce the number of hits as they happen to ensure the audience knows what is happening "One... two... three..., no wait that was a frame hit that doesn't count". Also the umpire will need to know the players string set ups a hit from Nadal's set up will wear out the ball 1.5 times more than a hit from a 'standard' setup. So the count will be like "One... two point five, three point five, five, six..." Also when a player bounces the ball it wears it so you'll need to take that into account. Djokovic will wear the ball down the equivalent of two or three hits before each serve. But if it is a very important point maybe five hits worth of wear.