PDA

View Full Version : tight 2HB angles

tom-selleck
06-13-2005, 02:40 PM
is it possible for pro player or decent recreational player (two different cases) to hit tight angles with 2HB??

i see sharapova hitting deep angles with her 2HB but quite flat hit.

i have been trying to get angles with 2HB with limited success... it just seems that topspin is so much easier to impart with FH or 1HB..

do others have the same experience??

thanks in advance!!

Bungalo Bill
06-13-2005, 02:41 PM
is it possible for pro player or decent recreational player (two different cases) to hit tight angles with 2HB??

i see sharapova hitting deep angles with her 2HB but quite flat hit.

i have been trying to get angles with 2HB with limited success... it just seems that topspin is so much easier to impart with FH or 1HB..

do others have the same experience??

thanks in advance!!

Yes, on tight short angles, you need to use the wrists. Keep them relaxed but use them with purpose. It is a balance.

stc9357
06-13-2005, 04:27 PM
Its possible but you need to impart topspin. My coach does a drill where he hits it to my backhand ( I'm standing at the service line-middle line near court) and I have to hit my backhand shots into the box on the other side. this drill really helps because in matches I can get crazy angles with my backhand also gives me the confidence to know that I can do them in matches!

TennsDog
06-13-2005, 08:24 PM
You need strong wrists, particularly left for righties, and lots of topspin. It works best if you hit the ball well in front of your body and really flick the wrists so that the butt cap is pretty much facing your belly button. A short swing with less follow-through also seems to help me for some reason...better control, perhaps? Anyway, footwork is also key: you need to get into optimal position and bend your knees if it is a low ball. If you want to develop backhand topspin, try hitting balls as close to the net while still going over as you can. Really come low to high and focus on lifting the racket head with your left wrist. Afterall, the 2hbh is really a lefty forehand with the right for stability. Good luck.

TwistServe
06-13-2005, 08:29 PM
Hmm I found hitting sharp angles on the 2HB very easy.. Its just like a forehand.. Take the ball on the outside.. Simply visualize the ball as it comes to you and smack the left side of the ball. Hvae your coach stand on the doubles ally at the service box, and you stand at the other doubles ally. Then you two rally back and forth while practicing hitting on the outside of the ball to create that short angle. After a few minutes it'll be so natural.