PDA

View Full Version : Rafa, Hewitt, Courier Sampras racquet weights

bertrevert
01-24-2011, 01:20 AM
Courier and Hewitt commentating the 2011 AusOpen here.

They are talking about racquet weights, as Courier couldn't believe how light Rafa's racquet is.

Courier said Rafa's Babolat AeroPro Drive GT is 311 grams.

The compared that to Sampras' 400 grams.

And to Courier own 380 grams he used to play with he said.

Then Hewitt chipped in and said his own Yonex comes in @ 360 grams.

Rafa's racquet is nice and light alright...

Rorsach
01-24-2011, 01:28 AM
The APD you can buy in the shops weighs 311 grams. I suspect that Rafaīs is a bit heavier than that.

chrischris
01-24-2011, 01:33 AM
So do i. I would think he had lead at certain places on it.

Rorsach
01-24-2011, 01:39 AM
And didnīt Hewitt used to play (or still does play) with a Yonex SuperRD Tour 90? That weighs in at 360 grams stock.

bertrevert
01-24-2011, 01:41 AM
You mean aim of the Courier comment was perhaps just to sell more racquets?

TW average several racquets don't they?

Strung weight according to TW (http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Babolat_AeroPro_Drive_GT/descpageRCBAB-BAPDGT.html)

On top of the lightness of weight, then the assertion is that is allows a different (unique) range of shots (eg. picking up low balls with his lassoo FH) and that the rest of his game is all his "fitness" and "brute strength"

Though I'm inclined to agree that 311 grams sounds really light nevertheless they used it as a basis to compliment his game - ie. he hits so well because of talent. Slightly implied was the idea that his racquet lightness is not normal...

Rorsach
01-24-2011, 01:45 AM
You mean aim of the Courier comment was perhaps just to sell more racquets?

Nah, Courierīs comment was probably about filling airtime. The stupid remarks iīve heard over years from commentators about the gear current top players use could fill a book. Most of them know nothing more about gear than the average TW-forum user, sometimes even less.

bertrevert
01-24-2011, 02:04 AM
them know nothing more about gear than the average TW-forum user, sometimes even less.

;) brouhaha ok good point

You'd have to think Courier has no motivation for getting it wrong

. Sampras racq weight is well known
. his own is well... his own
. Hewitt stated his own

And then when it comes to Rafa's racquet weight I'd think it was something he's checked or seen or been told (and perhaps verified himself) I imagine these guys getting access to the stringer's room and seeing the racquets on scales... hmm yeah maybe not. Still the Courier assertion is out there.

Wasn't there a winner of a signed Rafa racquet here on the forum a few years back? He won a charity auction and put it on a scale. He later took the thread away cos he received much grief :P Seem to remember the scale weight was pretty light. But then everyone was unsure if it was a racq that Nadal had actually sweated on. Hmm no hope of finding that thread...

tennisoz
01-24-2011, 06:02 AM
Nadal passed me his racquet to swing when i doing clinics at the Mubadala Tennis Championships in Abu Dhabi. It is indeed light...not 311grams, he has weight up under the bumper....funnily he said..."i have weight somewhere up in here (bumper)"..slightly head heavy, and a perfect balance...probably around 320-325....i have an apd weighted to Rafa's specs by one of the leading customizers and when i held the real deal, it felt the same.

(K)evin
01-24-2011, 06:49 AM
nadal's racquet is 335 grams, 33.3 cm balance and 350 sw
specs provided by Greg Raven http://www.hdtennis.com/grs/pro_racquet_specs/2009bnp_paribas_open.html

dgoran
01-24-2011, 06:51 AM
Guys Curier is correct Nadals APD IS in fact 311gr as you can see from the photos below. Curier was referring to unstrung weight of Nadal's APD. Weight: 311gr Bal: 32.5
http://lh5.ggpht.com/_JCQDreq94LI/TT2gphGtPYI/AAAAAAAABYs/AgYzRPTcsX8/s640/AO10%20-%20APD%20NADAL%20%5B1%5D.jpg

Strung with everything comes to 335gr :
http://lh3.ggpht.com/_JCQDreq94LI/TT2gpvuPpfI/AAAAAAAABYo/fFr9V8uXOjk/s640/AO10%20-%20APD%20NADAL%20%5B10%5D.jpg

baseline_monster
01-24-2011, 08:10 AM
Thats awesome!

akybo
01-25-2011, 12:40 AM
Guys Curier is correct Nadals APD IS in fact 311gr as you can see from the photos below. Curier was referring to unstrung weight of Nadal's APD. Weight: 311gr Bal: 32.5

Can you remove the trapdoor buttcap to see if it has silicone in the handle?

dgoran
01-25-2011, 04:20 AM
I am sorry for misunderstanding these are not my photos these are FabFed photos that he took after he bought the racket from the auction probably about a year ago.

He will not mess with a racket at all though, peole hav asked him and he refused since he is more of a collector than a tennis player so he wants to keep integrity of the original stick and not risk to damage it it any way no matter how remote of a chance to damage it.

dave t
01-25-2011, 08:38 AM
I could be wrong, but I think courier's commentary was misleading. he was comparing rafa's unstrung specs to the strung/match ready weights of sampras, hewitt, and himself.

bertrevert
01-25-2011, 01:51 PM
I could be wrong, but I think courier's commentary was misleading. he was comparing rafa's unstrung specs to the strung/match ready weights of sampras, hewitt, and himself.

Courier didn't use the words "unstrung" or "strung" and as he offered his and Pete's racquet weights back in the day, and as Hewitt chimed in with his own, I felt yes it was airtime-filler but they were remarking upon the relative lightness of Nadal's compared to theirs.

As a comparison, it wasn't scientific nor verifiable (it's just two Pros talking), nor did they discern strung/unstrung in their conversation.

I don't think they were going to go into such a difference to a loungeroom Australian audience do you?

But if you mean that they are just going on reported weights, and haven't seen or weighed Rafa's racquet themselves, then yes that is probably so.

I'd rather trust those auction photos. BTW, yes! these are those auction photos - pretty, but at a cost!