PDA

View Full Version : Sampras or Roddick?

brdwyjoe
01-24-2011, 06:58 AM
Every tennis fan knows that Pete Sampras has the record for most consecutive weeks as the number one tennis player in the world.

Does anyone know who has the record for most consecutive weeks as the number one tennis player in the USA?

I can't track it down but Roddick has been number one in the US for a long time.

T1000
01-24-2011, 07:01 AM
Blake was higher than roddick sometime in 2006 IIRC when he reached number 4 in the world, so it would be from then til now. I think Mac or Connors might have that record though

brdwyjoe
01-24-2011, 10:56 AM
I forgot about Blake making it to number 4.
Thanks.
Probably Connors but I'm just guessing.

CityTennis22
01-25-2011, 09:54 AM
Connors played forever and at a high level. He also has the tour record for most total tournament wins. He was a machine. He has to have the record.

hollywood9826
01-25-2011, 12:35 PM
Actually I think Fed has record for consecutive weeks in the 230ish range. Sampras has record for most weeks total at 286 I think. I could be wrong.

For USA only I have no idea. Connors and McEnroe switched world number 1 back and forth alot which may help Sampras.

Common sense would say its between those two. But since Andy has ruled in time of US mediocrity I can see why one would consider him.

Stormin
01-25-2011, 12:45 PM
So, are you not a tennis fan? Federer has the record for the most consecutive weeks at number one. Pete Sampras has the most total.

dak95_00
01-25-2011, 12:46 PM
To the OP:

The fact that this question has been brought up shows how bad the state of US tennis is right now. Roddick and Sampras shouldn't even be considered in the same class as players. If Roddick is close to overtaking a record held by any other American, US tennis has gone down the crapper!

Roddick has no competition.

Sampras had Courier, Chang, Agassi, etc. who all won majors.

You cannot be serious?!

billsgwn
01-26-2011, 11:39 AM
To the OP:

The fact that this question has been brought up shows how bad the state of US tennis is right now. Roddick and Sampras shouldn't even be considered in the same class as players. If Roddick is close to overtaking a record held by any other American, US tennis has gone down the crapper!

Roddick has no competition.

Sampras had Courier, Chang, Agassi, etc. who all won majors.

You cannot be serious?!

Agreed. Roddick is a guy thats tough to root for also. All the whining he does towards the line judges and barkng at the ball boys when things arent going his way really gets old. He acts like hes doing the reporters a favor when he actually looks up at them in their press conferences also. No comparison to USA players of today to those in the eras of the past.