PDA

View Full Version : Observations on the new generation of players

gifted_shotmaker
06-13-2005, 03:39 PM
Hitting with some good fellow junior players around my age here, I see their focus being more on control and topspin. I find it difficult these days to spot someone who really hits with power and can go for broke. I noticed the new generation of players' shots are "heavy", but not bigger and flatter like my game is. I also notice that many players play with the 1h bh nowadays, try to finish points at the net, have too varied games with no apparent weapon, and play frames with small head sizes. My game can really become a nuisance to many players, except the mental side let's me down a bit, LOL.....

scez
06-13-2005, 04:34 PM
I thought the new generation of players were all andy roddick wanna be's who just nail a flat shot with a 50% of going in.

gifted_shotmaker
06-13-2005, 04:47 PM
I thought the new generation of players were all andy roddick wanna be's who just nail a flat shot with a 50% of going in.

yeah, you still got them. I seperate it into categories though. You still got plenty of those kinds of players, the successful ones who play like I mentioned, and then you got me.

scez
06-13-2005, 05:44 PM
I am like a hybrid of you and the people you talk about. I should probably choose a side, but it is nice to be able to change your game style in the middle of a point, throw the other person off.

Bungalo Bill
06-13-2005, 06:36 PM
Hitting with some good fellow junior players around my age here, I see their focus being more on control and topspin. I find it difficult these days to spot someone who really hits with power and can go for broke. I noticed the new generation of players' shots are "heavy", but not bigger and flatter like my game is. I also notice that many players play with the 1h bh nowadays, try to finish points at the net, have too varied games with no apparent weapon, and play frames with small head sizes. My game can really become a nuisance to many players, except the mental side let's me down a bit, LOL.....

Very good observation. Even before Fedex emerged as the player to beat, coaches recognized the one dimensional game being played and in order to get their juniors to compete, many of them opted for the all-court game.

Consistency is the name of the game and topspin obviously will always be here. More and more players will incorporate the slice to combat this. Also, I wouldnt be surprised to see the forehand slice make somewhat of a comeback.

This is the new generation player and I think it is fantastic. Add Federers influence in the mix and tennis is going to be very interesting.

In fact, I believe not to long ago Vic Braden wrote an article making the same observations for future tennis.

gifted_shotmaker
06-13-2005, 06:45 PM
Very good observation. Even before Fedex emerged as the player to beat, coaches recognized the one dimensional game being played and in order to get their juniors to compete, many of them opted for the all-court game.

Consistency is the name of the game and topspin obviously will always be here. More and more players will incorporate the slice to combat this. Also, I wouldnt be surprised to see the forehand slice make somewhat of a comeback.

This is the new generation player and I think it is fantastic. Add Federers influence in the mix and tennis is going to be very interesting.

In fact, I believe not to long ago Vic Braden wrote an article making the same observations for future tennis.

thank you Bungalo Bill. that really means a lot to me coming from a guy that I regard so highly as you :) It's good for tennis, but it's not good for me; it's like Safin playing Federer, if you will, each time. To add to incorporating the slice, which I agree with, I find that my low, skidding balls are very difficult for these players, meaning that it gives them significant trouble.

Bungalo Bill
06-13-2005, 06:58 PM
thank you Bungalo Bill. that really means a lot to me coming from a guy that I regard so highly as you :) It's good for tennis, but it's not good for me; it's like Safin playing Federer, if you will, each time. To add to incorporating the slice, which I agree with, I find that my low, skidding balls are very difficult for these players, meaning that it gives them significant trouble.

We all have things to add to our game to make us a complete player. You cant stop. Even is you will never be the best volleyer, you still have to practice your volleys.

Safin is an excellent player and in my opinion (if his head would stay on straight) the best player on the tour when he is on. He has an absolutely scary game when he wants to win. The man is quick and agile and boy does he put pressure on you. His strokes are so clean and so powerful it is incredible. I am amazed he doesnt send one of those balls he hits into the next continent.

If he was a no nonsense-take-care-of-business guy, boy o' boy, all I can say is watch out.

I sometimes laugh when he crushes a ball and hits it with an incredible angle. It is so amazing that I actually move from being stunned to an outburst of laughter! Saying "OH MAN, CRAZY IVAN"!

He is just brutal on that ball. You can bet when Federer is lined up to play him and Federer knows Safin is on, Federer knows it is going to be a war.

FedererUberAlles
06-13-2005, 06:58 PM
I'm so sick of the topspin *****s. Everything turns into moonball rallies, and if you hit it to their backhand they moonball that too. I wish there were more driving players.

TennsDog
06-13-2005, 07:08 PM
With regards to what you said, Bill, I personally like the forehand slice. I had a couple lessons with my future college coach and he told me to basically eliminate it and quit using it altogether. However, I really like the forehand slice and think it is a good shot to be able to throw in. It will not be a weapon, nor will it be a rally shot, but it will add variety and throw their rhythm. I see nothing wrong with forehand slice, though it can be tricky to execute properly.

Exile
06-13-2005, 09:28 PM
I also notice that many players play with the 1h bh nowadays, try to finish points at the net, have too varied games with no apparent weapon, and play frames with small head sizes..

Sorry pal, everything is the exact opposite down here.

Nothing but 2hbh and oversized/mp heads, not a mid to anyone's name, (except me)

And everyone is a pusher here.

Guga_x
06-14-2005, 01:47 AM
It's funny how no matter how you play your own game you always tend to bash on your opposite style...

If you like to flat hit the ball and risk it out, you hate the heavy consistency hitters (or pushers as you reffer to them). Then if you hit with a lot of topspin with a very closed grip (western like) you hate the guys who slice the ball.

The same goes to your surface preferences. If you are American you hate clay. South Americans and South Europe fellows hate fast hard courts.

This is what makes our game as beatifull as it is. And always will be. The tendencies with game styles will always be determined by the top ranked players, as kids try to mimic their idols, and coaches try to find a way for success.

kevhen
06-14-2005, 06:54 AM
How true...

gifted_shotmaker
06-14-2005, 09:01 AM
With regards to what you said, Bill, I personally like the forehand slice. I had a couple lessons with my future college coach and he told me to basically eliminate it and quit using it altogether. However, I really like the forehand slice and think it is a good shot to be able to throw in. It will not be a weapon, nor will it be a rally shot, but it will add variety and throw their rhythm. I see nothing wrong with forehand slice, though it can be tricky to execute properly.

IMO, a bh slice would be a much better quality shot to play, to add variety and throw off rhythm. If the fh slice is mastered, I guess it could be just a good as the bh slice.

Grimjack
06-14-2005, 09:24 AM
It's funny how no matter how you play your own game you always tend to bash on your opposite style...

Not me, baby. I think I play the most hideous, boring style of tennis ever invented. If I had to watch me, I think I'd gouge out my own eyes. I just play the way I play because it's very low maintenance, which is to say it was easy to get pretty good at it, and I lose practically nothing if I take a month or even a year off.

No matter how much tennis progresses as a sport strategy-wise, there's always room for the guy who hits everything to the corners as hard as he can. I'm Philippoussis without the looks, one-hand BH, net game, talent, or 7.0 pace. I revile myself.

fishuuuuu
06-14-2005, 10:36 AM
WIsh we could play GJ ... I changed my game some time ago to be more spin based and put everything in the back of the court ... which was great to beat a lot of people ... but more and more I find that people are adding more variety to their styles instead of bashing my balls flat where they can have errors I find them hitting a more diverse selection of shots ...

There are a lot of things that you can do though ... I recently actually learned how to slice ... Amazing stuff ... very useful when trying to beat players like myself who like to hit with a lot of topspin ... slicing the ball low so they have to 'pick up' their shots and hit lower percentage than they prefer to, taking them out of their comfort zone... I know it would freak me out too ... if I couldn't hit all of my shots 2-3 feet above the net cord.

Bungalo Bill
06-14-2005, 11:04 AM

I agree with you completely. The forehand slice is a lost art and based on todays tennis I also agree it is not something to base your game around unless you are absolutely confident in it and have a real good one.

Let's face-it most of us will not go pro and a lot of us will probably reach an at most an advanced level. So the forehand slice probably from a 4.5 level down is still very effective. There is obviously a lot of variables to this and is mainly my opinion.

If you view the forehand slice as your main weapon, then I would have to agree with your coach.

If you view the forehand slice as a "surprise" shot, a shot to change pace on, or a shot to approach with, I think your thinking is right on. I like it a lot. I think you can collect a lot of points by using it this way.

krnboijunsung
06-14-2005, 01:04 PM
I really don't get why alot of people don't put slice into their games. It is just the one shot that can throw someone off. ANYBODY can hit flat shots, and anybody can hit shots with topspin, but when one slice is put upon someone, it takes the person out of rhythm. They have to run up, change their shot, and go into defensive mode (unless they were ready up front in the right position). More than not, most high school players play baseline during the whole time of their game. If you start putting up slices, you'll make them think twice about staying far back.

stc9357
06-14-2005, 01:32 PM
I've learned the forehand and one-handed backhand slice to be able to have alot of variety. My coach doesn't like me to hit forehand slice because he considers it pushing. I might throw it in in a rally to throw the persons timing. I use a two handed backhand but on low balls, approach shots, and during rallies I like to use my slice backhand. I center my game on being all-court style not confined to the baseline and not always coming to the net. I normally use a semi-western forehand but If I see that my opponent likes to hit slice to trip me up I can switch to a continental grip and hit forehands that way because I was taught to hit with the continental grip. Their are a lot of one-dimensional players out there. I change my game depending on the situation.

donnyz89
06-14-2005, 01:39 PM
I really don't get why alot of people don't put slice into their games. It is just the one shot that can throw someone off. ANYBODY can hit flat shots, and anybody can hit shots with topspin, but when one slice is put upon someone, it takes the person out of rhythm. They have to run up, change their shot, and go into defensive mode (unless they were ready up front in the right position). More than not, most high school players play baseline during the whole time of their game. If you start putting up slices, you'll make them think twice about staying far back.

thats true, many highschool players even good ones can play a great baseline game. some are shaky at net, but either way, a good slice that stops on a dime can be VERY useful against anyone in highschool.even a 3.5 slice can drive 4.0 players nuts.

TennsDog
06-14-2005, 03:32 PM
I just wanna know how it is possible to hit a forehand with a continental grip... That seems like it would be one of the most awkward and uncomfortable shots in tennis.