PDA

View Full Version : Ive lost it, is it my elbow or wrist possibly?

wildmoose31
06-13-2005, 07:38 PM
I had been playing really really well lately, but after i started feeling a little stiffness in my wrist and pain in my elbow, and even though the pain isnt getting worse or barely even appearing, ive lost it. So many of my shots are flying, I cant keep them low without putting too much topspin, im hoping a week off from tennis will fix it but im not sure. My best guess is that my wrist isnt snapping properly at all, because i drop so many balls into the net too.

Bungalo Bill
06-13-2005, 08:04 PM
I had been playing really really well lately, but after i started feeling a little stiffness in my wrist and pain in my elbow, and even though the pain isnt getting worse or barely even appearing, ive lost it. So many of my shots are flying, I cant keep them low without putting too much topspin, im hoping a week off from tennis will fix it but im not sure. My best guess is that my wrist isnt snapping properly at all, because i drop so many balls into the net too.

You should not be purposely snapping your wrist in any shot. Which stroke are we talking about? You are leading me to believe you are talking about the serve.

dustyle
06-13-2005, 08:55 PM
i having the issuse as you too i really want to know what is wrong

wildmoose31
06-13-2005, 09:05 PM
You should not be purposely snapping your wrist in any shot. Which stroke are we talking about? You are leading me to believe you are talking about the serve.
well, maybe not snapping my wrist, just something about my wrists angle., its groundstrokes that im talking about, it barely feels as if i can have a simple rally anymore without concentrating enough to make sure i hit it and then its not great either. I experienced slight wrist pain recently, and thats when the bad tennis started so i am thinking thats it, and now im gonna take a little while off from tennis so that I can see if i can get back to normal

Bungalo Bill
06-14-2005, 12:15 PM
well, maybe not snapping my wrist, just something about my wrists angle., its groundstrokes that im talking about, it barely feels as if i can have a simple rally anymore without concentrating enough to make sure i hit it and then its not great either. I experienced slight wrist pain recently, and thats when the bad tennis started so i am thinking thats it, and now im gonna take a little while off from tennis so that I can see if i can get back to normal

Well you need to slow down the ball feed when you practice. Along the wway something changed. Maybe you have developed a habit to turn your head too soon before contact. Or maybe just before contact you check your swing which slows it down and screws up your stroke. Or maybe you have develop some footwork along the way that has made you become a tad off balance on the shot and you flub it up.

Either way, you need to recondition your stroke by hitting slow balls. This way you can relax and develop that smooth stroke you had before and work on your balance.

What I find is when players focus too much on the wrist for power and control -- eventually they will have problems either in injuries and/or timing.

If you are not injured then you need to go back to the basics and eliminate excessive wrist movement.

1. The wrist stays fixed throughout the stroke and slightly past contact.

2. The wrist is laid back through contact and try to hold this position extending out to the target.

3. Do not use wrist release.

4. Learn to draw the elbow forward first at the hieght or end of your backswing.

5. Once you are coiled from the backswing and you feel a little tension in the torso sotmach area, tug from the stomach (butt cap too) to uncoil and rotate the shoulders back into the ball with the racquet.

6. Step forward (no open stance for now) and concentrate on making clean contact with the racquet going low to high.

7. Do not try and put excessive spin for now.

The idea for now is somewhere along the kinetic chain a certain part that contributes to power and speed is taking control TOO much.

You hit from your shoulders. You rotate forward by using a little stomach muscle to get the shoulders to rotate smoothly and in relaxation into the ball. NO WRISTING ALLOWED.

Hope that helps you.

krnboijunsung
06-14-2005, 01:55 PM
Well if your pain isn't worsening, don't stop playing. You'll even get more out of rhythm.