PDA

View Full Version : qualfications to become a pro?

FREDDY
06-13-2005, 09:17 PM
what are the qualifications to become pro??? age? ntrp? stuff like that.

TwistServe
06-13-2005, 09:22 PM
What kind of pro? A pro in the ATP tour you will need to be top 100 to get direct entry in the slams, and around top 50 in the TMS. You'll need to go through challengers if you're out of that range. Lower tier tournaments will be easier to get direct entry for the ranked 100+.

For a teaching pro you really don't need to have much qualifications. Any age with some experience. The USPTA certs aren't really that difficult to get. Probably minimum NTRP 4.5 as there are lots of teaching pros with 4.5 rating. Older and more experienced teaching pros may have been 5.5 at the primes but they're just too old to compete at that level so they're 4.0 or 4.5 now.. But they possess lots of knowledge, experience, and depth of the game.

You can also have teenagers teach you as they seem quite enthusiastic about teaching the deep indepth game of tennis!

RiosTheGenius
06-13-2005, 09:26 PM
well, at least here in the US you should register with the USTA and start playing Challenger tournaments and must have enough money to travel and buy equipment. hope to pass a couple of rounds so you can at least break even and expect to struggle with money until you make the top 100 which is a very select group... otherwise I would recommend to play at the college level so you get support from the school and if things don't go well you can finish school and have a career doing something else.

supersmash
06-14-2005, 06:13 AM
to become a pro, all you have to do is get on TW and keep posting and posting.

kevhen
06-14-2005, 06:17 AM
You need to win at all levels including some at the pro level. Getting paid for playing tennis would also qualify I guess too so maybe you only need to be about 6.0 to win some smaller local tournaments.

paulfreda
06-14-2005, 05:50 PM
To be a pro anything you just need to find someone who will pay you in exchange for your time and information. If you accept the money, you are a professional.

I know a fellow who just hung around the pubic courts at San Frnacisco's Golden Gate Park for years and slowly began teaching beginners for free at first and then accepting money. He got registered with the USPTA eventually and is now head pro at a fancy tennis ranch in California.

Phil Daddario
06-14-2005, 06:00 PM
You can also have teenagers teach you as they seem quite enthusiastic about teaching the deep indepth game of tennis!

From what I was reading before joining, it seems like all your remarks are pointed hurtfully towards Kana. She's wrong sometimes, she's right a lot. And any possible errors have been pointed out, or fixed by herself. When they're fixed, she usually adds in more useful insights that really do work for me.

I think it's great that she's ready to post and get so involved. Don't bash her so much. I know you've said that you enjoy reading her posts, and simply want to point out the bad parts, but it could do with a lot less personal insults and grudges. It's hard for anyone to respond to.

On teaching, most instructors are about a 4.5, as said. Playing ability is required, as they test you on your ability to demonstrate what you're teaching yourself. However, if you want to teach, I don't see passing that mark as a problem.

There are also written tests, and you're given both a group and private lesson (in the USPTA, probably PTR and other ones, too) to teach to show what you can do.

There are a lot of workshops and things the organizations provide to prepare you for these or simply improve your coaching ability. I think it might be (not sure) required to go to at least a couple.

Good luck!

RiosTheGenius
06-14-2005, 06:05 PM
HA HA HA that was great man.

hyperwarrior
06-14-2005, 06:08 PM
This link can give you a hint: http://www.atptennis.com/en/players/getstarted.asp

TwistServe
06-14-2005, 07:35 PM
From what I was reading before joining, it seems like all your remarks are pointed hurtfully towards Kana. She's wrong sometimes, she's right a lot. And any possible errors have been pointed out, or fixed by herself. When they're fixed, she usually adds in more useful insights that really do work for me.

I think it's great that she's ready to post and get so involved. Don't bash her so much. I know you've said that you enjoy reading her posts, and simply want to point out the bad parts, but it could do with a lot less personal insults and grudges. It's hard for anyone to respond to.

Good luck!

Sorry I'm an immuture man.

Superior_Forehand
06-14-2005, 09:22 PM

That was really funny lol.

ssjkyle31
06-15-2005, 06:04 AM

I dont think Twist Serve was trying to bash Kana on his last comment. I think if she wants to become a teaching pro, Kana is heading in the right direction.

And don't get me wrong, I think his remarks are more like an endearing type- father daughter thing.