PDA

View Full Version : Federer needs a new racquet

Torres
01-27-2011, 04:05 AM
These small headed racquets seem to be from a bygone age.

No doubt he sticks with it, simply because that's what he's used to and grown up playing. If he moved to a a slightly larger headed, less demanding frame, he really should not be a risk of being overpowered or being forced onto the back foot as much against the likes of Nadal and Djokovic. Even a mishit might just trickle over the net rather than being an inch or two below the tape.

88/90sq" just acts as a disadvantage to him.

Federer is a wonderful talent, and if he was at the peak of his powers, then fine, but he is in (or approaching) the autumn of his career, he's never been hugely successful on slower courts, and is showing some fallibility. Why make life more difficult with a demanding small headed racquet? He's the only person at the upper levels that plays with such a stick. People will talk about all the slams he won but nobody doubts his greatness. But the peak of those slams were a few years ago when he was younger, at the peak of his powers, and the competition wasn't quite as fierce.

Annacone's got him to try and shorten the points and play more of an attacking game, and whilst there's nothing wrong with that, he's going to have to be almost pitch perfect in every stroke that he hits at the top 2 or 3 players to carry that off. Just being a fraction off or having a day where's he's not quite 100% is going to produce the sort of higher error count that visible during the Djokovic match.

I remember Annacone floated the idea of a racquet change with Sampras and the only reason Sampras didn't change was because it was what he was used to and was wary about transitioning his game when at a stage where his career was already 'time limited'.

Carolina Racquet
01-27-2011, 04:09 AM
I respectfully disagree. Federer plays well with that frame. Sometimes, you get outplayed regardless of the stick you use.

DennisK
01-27-2011, 04:10 AM
This topic has been discussed to death already. Multiple times.

Sentinel
01-27-2011, 04:33 AM
Yeah, he should throw away that old broomstick of his.

Cup8489
01-27-2011, 05:18 AM
Thread Fail.

Federer DOES NOT need a new racquet. Why do these stupid threads always come up when he loses? People shank with 100" frames, and those people dont even take the ball on the rise. This is a product of Fed's game, and a 95 or 100 inch frame will NOT stop it from happening. In fact, he will simply just hit error after error because the new frame wouldnt have the necessary control and precision.

/END THREAD

Bartelby
01-27-2011, 05:20 AM
He may indeed need a bigger racquet for such dead courts. After all, it's the Spaniards that made the pure drive what it is.

ollinger
01-27-2011, 05:34 AM
Torres
I don't recall you posting this thought after Fed won the year end championship in London. Did you feel his racquet was fine two months ago?

FedererBestTennis
01-27-2011, 05:36 AM
Fed does not need a new racquet! He loves his prostaff and he's won 16 grand slams with it, so I'm sure something is going right for him with that stick! Djoko just outplayed him, that's all!

Bartelby
01-27-2011, 05:37 AM
If he were back in 2002, he would have upped his 85 to 95 if he could have predicted fully the future of tennis.

Djokolate
01-27-2011, 07:13 AM
i wouldn't be surprised in the next few days if people start making threads like:
DelPo needs a lighter racquet
Federer needs faster running shoes
Roddick needs a power balance band
Wozniacki needs a babolat stencil

stupid thread

t0nym4c
01-27-2011, 07:38 AM
nadal needs a new knee lol

stoo
01-27-2011, 07:45 AM
Fed needs a new backhand that doesn't shank as much.

decades
01-27-2011, 08:06 AM
he needs a time machine to become 24 again.

Rusty669
01-27-2011, 08:25 AM
Federer actually did hit a lot of mishits today off both wings!
Especially the backhand-drive seemed to be very prone to the mishits,but on the other hand you could also see Djokovic firing the ball into the crowd after hitting the frame too.

I really am not sure if a 95 head racket would change that much,on the backhands you could see that he shanked the ball only if he brushed up on the ball a fraction of a second too early.
To me it is all down to timing,and Roger didn't seem totally on form today.
Plus,if you have won 16 grand slams and a few other tournaments it would be really hard to change a winning setup.
He played magnificently at the World Tour Finals and at the start of this year,I am afraid that his movement isn't up to scratch anymore as it used to be,although he still moves better than a lot of players on tour.
Putting losses like this down to the small racket headsize seems like an easy excuse.although I did shout the same idea at the tv today after yet another Fed backhand mishit!:-)
But that was just in the heat of the moment....

BounceHitBounceHit
01-27-2011, 08:31 AM
This kind of thing takes away from the fact Djokovic played very well, and won. The end, period. ;) BHBH

mikejsb876
01-27-2011, 11:01 AM
Its the Indian, not the Arrow!

pabletion
01-27-2011, 11:04 AM
If only he would pay attention and become a member of TTW and read threads like this!!!!!!!!! Cause WE know!

when will the maaaaaadness stop?????

stupid Federer, he would be up to 40 Grand Slams by now with a 100 sq. in. stick.

Pioneer
01-27-2011, 11:15 AM
You pretty much answered it for yourself.

He's the only guy who has a complete flawless all-court game.
He's the only guy with 16 grand slam titles.
He's the only guy that can hit the sweetspot of a 90" 99/100 times.
He's the only guy in the top 10 who prefers power, stability, control and touch over a 100" frying pan

No doubt he sticks with it, simply because that's what he's used to and grown up playing. If he moved to a a slightly larger headed, less demanding frame, he really should not be a risk of being overpowered or being forced onto the back foot as much against the likes of Nadal and Djokovic.

88/90sq" is just acts as a disadvantage to him.

If Federer was at the peak of his powers, then fine, and although he is a wonderful talent, he is in the autumn of his career, he's never been hugely successful on slower courts and showing showing some fallibility. Why make life more difficult with a demanding racquet small headed racquet. He's the only person at the upper levels that plays with such a stick.

I remember Annacone floated the same idea with Sampras and the only reason Sampras didn't change was because that was what he was used to and wary about transitioning his game when at a stage where his career was 'time limited'.

BradThomas2121
01-27-2011, 12:02 PM
Why not stick with what has got him to this point? It fits him and there is no need to switch. He is the best ever so far. Fed is great still and has just been off at the last few majors and met players who r playing really well. IMO i kinda think he is only going to get a few more majors bcuz, i think he slowly falling and many others are on the rise at the moment

Mick
01-27-2011, 12:06 PM
last night while i was watching the match, i didn't think about his choice of equipment but rather him and his coach didn't have a plan to execute when facing an in-form djokovic.

sureshs
01-27-2011, 12:08 PM
Why not stick with what has got him to this point?

Nice pun to be found there.

But seriously, the reason he should not stick with it is because his body is not sticking to its younger years. As he grows older, becomes slower, eyesight diminished, testosterone levels lowered, he becomes physically and mentally less competitive.

At least he should give it a try.

Djokolate
01-27-2011, 12:32 PM
nadal needs a new knee lol

*high 5*
10char

BreakPoint
01-27-2011, 12:38 PM
Federer needs a bigger racquet? Wow, what a concept! I don't think I've ever heard anyone come up with that before. Why didn't I think of it? :wink: LOL

migi
01-27-2011, 12:40 PM
he needs a time machine to become 24 again.

And any frying pan wont change it

sureshs
01-27-2011, 12:46 PM
Federer needs a bigger racquet? Wow, what a concept! I don't think I've ever heard anyone come up with that before. Why didn't I think of it? :wink: LOL

Even Federer did not think of it.

I hope Annacone knocks some sense into his head. The young ones are knocking on his door and he needs to get the latest equipment. Tiger Woods upgraded to a bigger driver, why can't Fed do it?

Larrysümmers
01-27-2011, 12:48 PM
isnt the radius of a 100 and a 90 inch racket just fraction of an inch? so would that extra little bit on each side really help. coming from someone who has hit with a 107 and 90, if you shank with a 90, you are still gunna shank with the 107 and if it isnt a shank. it is a pretty bad mishit anyways.

JGads
01-27-2011, 12:56 PM
I agree that this has been discussed ad nauseam, but I do think the argument does hold water. Sampras himself said after he was done that he might have won a few more majors had he not been stubborn and tried a lighter frame there at the end of his career. Fed is still good enough to get away with his newfound shankiness in the early rounds of tourneys, but when he starts going up against the big hitters in the Top 5 (Rafa, Djok, Soderling), he now gives up about 10 free points a match on those shanks, and with these Top 5 guys, that is often the difference. Every time they did that super-slow-mo shot last night, you see that the ball catches the frame on every one of those shanks. Something just a touch bigger/lighter could keep him in those points rather than gifting them away. I love the guy, but man do those shanks make me cringe.

kishnabe
01-27-2011, 01:17 PM
Knees problems come with a 100 square inch racquet...better to stick with 90 inch!

VGP
01-27-2011, 01:36 PM
... I do think the argument does hold water. Sampras himself said after he was done that he might have won a few more majors had he not been stubborn and tried a lighter frame there at the end of his career.

That's an overstatement. I think he said that he would like to have tried a larger headsize (probably like a 90) to have a better chance on clay.

sureshs
01-27-2011, 01:38 PM
isnt the radius of a 100 and a 90 inch racket just fraction of an inch? so would that extra little bit on each side really help. coming from someone who has hit with a 107 and 90, if you shank with a 90, you are still gunna shank with the 107 and if it isnt a shank. it is a pretty bad mishit anyways.

Oh man, here we go again. I have discussed this many times.

The increase in area is small, but the increase in volume as the racquet is swept thru the air allows for more margin for swing path errors.

Secondly, the larger head also produces more power. The power is of a different nature than adding lead to a smaller head.

Thirdly, it is not only about shanking. Shots away from the sweetzone also retain some power.

mtommer
01-27-2011, 02:43 PM
Isn't it funny how people remember the shanks but not the number of well hit balls and most certainly not the number of remarkably well hit balls?

sureshs
01-27-2011, 04:30 PM
Isn't it funny how people remember the shanks but not the number of well hit balls and most certainly not the number of remarkably well hit balls?

That is human psychology

NLBwell
01-27-2011, 06:01 PM
Every time they did that super-slow-mo shot last night, you see that the ball catches the frame on every one of those shanks. .

Actually, sounds like he needs a thinner racket - maybe a Donnay.
:-)

lidoazndiabloboi
01-27-2011, 06:10 PM
those shanks that he hit yesterday still would have been shanks if it was a 100sq. as a wilson 90 user, i havent found another bigger headsized racquet that offers the same control, feel and touch i get with this racket. i definately think in the power department, its not as powerful as the head 98s and babolat 100s. but for federer, feel and control is what he is going for.

didnt safin use a prestige mid which is like 89.5 sq? i dont remember anyone saying he should switch rackets.

BreakPoint
01-27-2011, 06:31 PM
Even Federer did not think of it.

I hope Annacone knocks some sense into his head. The young ones are knocking on his door and he needs to get the latest equipment. Tiger Woods upgraded to a bigger driver, why can't Fed do it?
Federer doesn't do everything that Tiger does, as we all know all too well by now. :shock:

And tennis isn't about hitting the ball farther.

BreakPoint
01-27-2011, 06:34 PM
I agree that this has been discussed ad nauseam, but I do think the argument does hold water. Sampras himself said after he was done that he might have won a few more majors had he not been stubborn and tried a lighter frame there at the end of his career. Fed is still good enough to get away with his newfound shankiness in the early rounds of tourneys, but when he starts going up against the big hitters in the Top 5 (Rafa, Djok, Soderling), he now gives up about 10 free points a match on those shanks, and with these Top 5 guys, that is often the difference. Every time they did that super-slow-mo shot last night, you see that the ball catches the frame on every one of those shanks. Something just a touch bigger/lighter could keep him in those points rather than gifting them away. I love the guy, but man do those shanks make me cringe.
Sampras might have lost a few more Majors too if he had switched to a bigger or lighter racquet. Hindsight is always 20/20. It's like saying - if I had only picked those winning lottery numbers last night..........:)

mctennis
01-27-2011, 06:50 PM
http://i54.tinypic.com/igg41i.jpg

CStennis11
01-27-2011, 06:56 PM
http://i54.tinypic.com/igg41i.jpg

Hilarious
10Char

Sentinel
01-27-2011, 07:51 PM
Nice pun to be found there.

But seriously, the reason he should not stick with it is because his body is not sticking to its younger years. As he grows older, becomes slower, eyesight diminished, testosterone levels lowered, he becomes physically and mentally less competitive.

At least he should give it a try.
I am sorry to hear you began losing your manhood at 29!

And you can't even ogle properly now :D :D !!! That's cruel !

star 5 15
01-27-2011, 07:56 PM
Why is it necessary for a NEW thread on this? It's not like it's been discussed trillions of times. SEARCH function people! And for the record what pros have had success while making mid career racquet changes? I mean really, seriously...

Stevo Karlovic
01-27-2011, 10:02 PM
I sort of agree with Torres on this one. Although it would be considered a radical change (esp. by the regs on this board), it would suit him better I believe. Only a few times did I see him successfully use Djokovic's pace for a winner. He's getting overpowered far too much lately. "The King" needs a "'lil more pop" these days. I would estimate that the only other players in the Top 10 not using a racquet with decidedly more power than Feds would be Murray and Soderling. One is much younger and the other much stronger. I know this sounds ridiculous to the conservative ear, but there is truth to it this time. C'mon now....

sureshs
01-28-2011, 08:16 AM
Federer doesn't do everything that Tiger does, as we all know all too well by now. :shock:

Is it because Tiger has better "equipment" than Federer?

sureshs
01-28-2011, 08:17 AM
those shanks that he hit yesterday still would have been shanks if it was a 100sq. as a wilson 90 user, i havent found another bigger headsized racquet that offers the same control, feel and touch i get with this racket. i definately think in the power department, its not as powerful as the head 98s and babolat 100s. but for federer, feel and control is what he is going for.

didnt safin use a prestige mid which is like 89.5 sq? i dont remember anyone saying he should switch rackets.

It is not just about the incremental area, as I said before.

r2473
01-28-2011, 08:23 AM
Fed often goes to a new racquet the game before new balls I've noticed (so he goes for a new racquet typically in games 6, 15, 24, etc).

He seems to have a large supply. In fact, I've never seen him run out.

I don't think it is so much the racquet however. It is because of the strings.

sureshs
01-28-2011, 08:30 AM
Fed often goes to a new racquet the game before new balls I've noticed (so he goes for a new racquet typically in games 6, 15, 24, etc).

He seems to have a large supply. In fact, I've never seen him run out.

I don't think it is so much the racquet however. It is because of the strings.

Obviously it is for the fresh strings. Did you really think it was for the racquet? C'mon, be honest.

tennisexecutor
01-28-2011, 08:57 AM
know that federer been using the same racquet since he was a junior. that being said, if he was to change frames, it would be interesting to see how quickly he can adjust to it and whether he'll be able to ever play on the same level as he is with his 90.

judging by all the balls he shanked into the crowd vs djokovic, something unusual was going on with roger during the match. it was just one of his rare off days i guess. we know that when roger loses the 1st set its a flip of the coin (50/50 or even less against roger) that will determine the outcome.

r2473
01-28-2011, 09:12 AM
Obviously it is for the fresh strings. Did you really think it was for the racquet? C'mon, be honest.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w-e-Ud-ly04

Roger is strictly club level:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfPNROxLgss&NR=1&feature=fvwp

sureshs
01-28-2011, 09:12 AM
know that federer been using the same racquet since he was a junior

No, he was using a 85 and then changed to a 90 because, according to him, it was causing more shanks (of course, posters who cannot hit even one shot like him will tell you that it cannot be true because a shank on one will be shank on the other, but that is a different story).

tennisexecutor
01-28-2011, 11:01 AM
i stand corrected. when did federer switch to the 90? was it mid-end 2002 when fed started to break into the top 10 by any chance? it makes me wonder whether the decision to switch to the 90 was driven by wilson in some way. he could have went with the existing 95 but they ended up introducing a new line for fed.

MAX PLY
01-28-2011, 11:04 AM
The beauty of a thread like this is that, among its active participants, it separates those who know nothing about tennis from those whose tennis knowledge is completely wrong.

Mick
01-28-2011, 11:06 AM
haha. we have threads in this forum about how the federer racquet is not suitable for beginners and lower level players. now some people here are saying the federer racquet is not even suitable for roger federer himself :D

jmverdugo
01-28-2011, 11:27 AM
I am pretty sure he receives new racquets every 3 months or something...

Tar Heel Tennis
01-28-2011, 11:47 AM
I am pretty sure he receives new racquets every 3 months or something...

yeah, i hear he's got a Wilson Gold Club sponsorship. not only does he get new rackets every three months, but he also get five packs of string, a 6-racket bag, and a t-shirt!

bluetrain4
01-28-2011, 12:02 PM
I don't think he needs to change, but I would like to see it simply out of curiosity. Would it really make a positive difference, both physically (more margin for error), and mentally (a bit more confident knowing he has a little bit more margin for error? Or, maybe he couldn't get used to the feel of the new frame and it would actually hurt him.

Regardless, I really doubt that he's going to change.

BreakPoint
01-28-2011, 12:35 PM
yeah, i hear he's got a Wilson Gold Club sponsorship. not only does he get new rackets every three months, but he also get five packs of string, a 6-racket bag, and a t-shirt!
Along with a check for $500,000 inside that racquet bag! :)

BreakPoint
01-28-2011, 12:36 PM
Is it because Tiger has better "equipment" than Federer?
You're right. Tiger does use a longer "stick" than Federer. :shock:

cork_screw
01-28-2011, 12:46 PM
Why do TTards think a new racquet is the solution to everything? Djokovic played an amazing match. His defense was what got him the straight sets win. No matter what fed hit at him, it was returned and with good pace and depth. And these people who recommend a racquet change everytime he loses don't say sh*t about his racquet when he wins. This guy won 16 slams with the equipment he uses now. Sometimes you win and some lose, I've lost to someone pretty handedly and played them again the next day and beat them 6-2, 6-1. It doesn't mean that you lose that you're going down hill. Nadal used to lose matches to murray and djokovic all the time, doesn't mean he should retire or change his equipment. He actually changed his serve which made the most difference.

To think all you need is an equipment change is so superficial. It's funny how people forget that Fed beat Djokovic in the round robin rounds in London just 2 months ago. Djokovic doesn't own him, he just won because he was playing out of his mind. Just like everything here on TT, it's trendy. Someone loses, and it's suddenly how it's going to be at the end all right? Someone wins and they'll win the year end slam right? Why don't you people look beyond trends. It's just like high school here.

No doubt he sticks with it, simply because that's what he's used to and grown up playing. If he moved to a a slightly larger headed, less demanding frame, he really should not be a risk of being overpowered or being forced onto the back foot as much against the likes of Nadal and Djokovic. Even a mishit might just trickle over the net rather than being an inch or two below the tape.

Federer is a wonderful talent, and if he was at the peak of his powers, then fine, but he is in (or approaching) the autumn of his career, he's never been hugely successful on slower courts, and is showing some fallibility. Why make life more difficult with a demanding small headed racquet? He's the only person at the upper levels that plays with such a stick. People will talk about all the slams he won but nobody doubts his greatness. But the peak of those slams were a few years ago when he was younger, at the peak of his powers, and the competition wasn't quite as fierce.

Annacone's got him to try and shorten the points and play more of an attacking game, and whilst there's nothing wrong with that, he's going to have to be almost pitch perfect in every stroke that he hits at the top 2 or 3 players to carry that off. Just being a fraction off or having a day where's he's not quite 100% is going to produce the sort of higher error count that visible during the Djokovic match.

I remember Annacone floated the idea of a racquet change with Sampras and the only reason Sampras didn't change was because it was what he was used to and was wary about transitioning his game when at a stage where his career was already 'time limited'.

tennisexecutor
01-28-2011, 12:53 PM
And for the record what pros have had success while making mid career racquet changes? I mean really, seriously...

would you count djokovic to be in that category?

big bang
01-28-2011, 12:54 PM
Fed is not good enough to use a 90"! I think he should switch to a 65".
The big problem is his overgrip, thats what causes the shanks!

CHOcobo
01-28-2011, 12:54 PM
he needs a new style of power pads, those aren't doing it anymore.

big bang
01-28-2011, 12:56 PM
You're right. Tiger does use a longer "stick" than Federer. :shock:
Bet its a prince "longbody":)

big bang
01-28-2011, 12:58 PM
he needs a new style of power pads, those aren't doing it anymore.
I heard he lost because wilson forced him to use some new kind of power pads against Djoko, could this be the reason?..

Fugazi
01-28-2011, 02:36 PM

I agree. Federer should learn from Sampras' mistake (which he admitted). And Sampras didn't use nearly as much topspin as Fed, so Fed would benefit even more from a wider racquet head.

CrackerJack
01-30-2011, 08:42 PM
It's pretty clear that this topic needs to be revived irrespective of what some posters here may believe. Federer was clearly overpowered by Djokovic. In the heavier than usual conditions he was shanking far too many balls and hitting many off-centre shots leaving many balls short in the baseline exchanges for Novak to attack. He needs a more powerful, larger headed frame. I love hitting with the k90/ blx90 but when up against big hitters feel handicapped. Roger sure looked it. Paul annacone suggested sampras switch, Sampras himself said he should've tried switching and subsequently has I think. Most other players of that era play with the latest equipment now and not similar to what they were used to. Jim courier also made it clear he thought RF should try a more powerful racquet. The game is constantly evolving and he is going to continue to find it hard to keep up. I, and it seems many others, would like to see just what he is capable of doing if he is able to successfully make the switch.

BounceHitBounceHit
01-31-2011, 04:46 AM
It's pretty clear that this topic needs to be revived irrespective of what some posters here may believe. Federer was clearly overpowered by Djokovic. In the heavier than usual conditions he was shanking far too many balls and hitting many off-centre shots leaving many balls short in the baseline exchanges for Novak to attack. He needs a more powerful, larger headed frame. I love hitting with the k90/ blx90 but when up against big hitters feel handicapped. Roger sure looked it. Paul annacone suggested sampras switch, Sampras himself said he should've tried switching and subsequently has I think. Most other players of that era play with the latest equipment now and not similar to what they were used to. Jim courier also made it clear he thought RF should try a more powerful racquet. The game is constantly evolving and he is going to continue to find it hard to keep up. I, and it seems many others, would like to see just what he is capable of doing if he is able to successfully make the switch.

I am not trying to be argumentative, but the BLX 90 is one of the most powerful frames out there, especially configured as Roger uses it (364 grams, 9pts HL, 335 SW, with gut mains and Lux crosses at around 45#) Just check the TW Professor.

Respectfully, it's not the frame. And while I am sure there might be certain advantages to a larger head, it would take him TIME to adjust. Sampras (and yes Courier) changed to larger headed frames AFTER they retired, because then they have all the time in the world!

Fed made the semis of the AO. He did not win it. It's not reasonable to think he will win every tournament he plays. A few points here and there and he would have been up two sets to none against Joker.

Joker played a great tournament and deserves the win. Congrats to him.

BHBH

Rabbit
01-31-2011, 05:05 AM
Fed made the semis of the AO. He did not win it. It's not reasonable to think he will win every tournament he plays. A few points here and there and he would have been up two sets to none against Joker.
BHBH

Problem is, tennis fans of the last ten years think that Federer's performance from then to now; winning 3/4 majors a year, is reasonable. This is further compounded by Nadal's performance. The truth is that we live in an exceptional period of tennis history. Now, the word exceptional can't be used to infer that Nadal and Federer are that much better than bygone champions. There is an argument that the field has a little to do with it as well.

The truth is, Federer and Nadal's stranglehold on the top tier of tennis is definitely the exception and not the rule.

To the OP, Federer is by far the best judge of what he needs. BHBH is supremely right in his assertion that Federer made the semis of the AO and that in itself is a great achievement. Add to that Djokovic's play which was at a higher level than I've ever seen it, Federer is now 29 which is two years past a 'normal' pro's prime, and just plain statistics. Federer is not a mortal human. Federer is a freak of nature.

coloskier
01-31-2011, 05:48 AM
Federer actually did hit a lot of mishits today off both wings!
Especially the backhand-drive seemed to be very prone to the mishits,but on the other hand you could also see Djokovic firing the ball into the crowd after hitting the frame too.

I really am not sure if a 95 head racket would change that much,on the backhands you could see that he shanked the ball only if he brushed up on the ball a fraction of a second too early.
To me it is all down to timing,and Roger didn't seem totally on form today.
Plus,if you have won 16 grand slams and a few other tournaments it would be really hard to change a winning setup.
He played magnificently at the World Tour Finals and at the start of this year,I am afraid that his movement isn't up to scratch anymore as it used to be,although he still moves better than a lot of players on tour.
Putting losses like this down to the small racket headsize seems like an easy excuse.although I did shout the same idea at the tv today after yet another Fed backhand mishit!:-)
But that was just in the heat of the moment....

The reason for the mishits were the following...

1. His last match was in daylight, where the courts were much faster and bounced a lot higher. He tends to play on instinct, and his body was used to the faster conditions.

2. Djokovic played the best match of his life, and will probably never play that well again, unless he is on another very slow hard court. From watching all the matches (over 30 that I watched during the AO), I honestly think that these courts at night were playing even slower than IW and Miami, which would make it the slowest hard court tournament of the year.

CrackerJack
01-31-2011, 03:03 PM
The reason for the mishits were the following...

1. His last match was in daylight, where the courts were much faster and bounced a lot higher. He tends to play on instinct, and his body was used to the faster conditions.

2. Djokovic played the best match of his life, and will probably never play that well again, unless he is on another very slow hard court. From watching all the matches (over 30 that I watched during the AO), I honestly think that these courts at night were playing even slower than IW and Miami, which would make it the slowest hard court tournament of the year.

Whatever the reason I think a larger frame would cause less mishits. I don't know I'm just speculating..

Jster
02-03-2011, 08:44 AM
I personally think that fed doesnt need a new frame. MAYBE JUST.. erm.. paint his current frame white and his magical form might return. heard it somewhere that he loves white.

Then we might have a blx blade 98 ''pink''effect.

bjorn23
04-01-2011, 04:38 PM
After watching the nadal match today, it became painful, annoying. Guy needs to wake up and look around notice what others are using. Huge disadvantage.

Mdubb23
04-01-2011, 04:41 PM
After watching the nadal match today, it became painful, annoying. Guy needs to wake up and look around notice what others are using. Huge disadvantage.

Yeah, I mean he only finished 3rd/4th out of 128 'others'.

(K)evin
04-01-2011, 04:52 PM
Wasn't it when he switched from the 85 to 90 that he made his first break through at the FO? (I think I read that on the n90 tw review) why does he just make another adjustment and go to a 93 that's only a slight adjustment but I'm sure if he could make the the FO semifinals or whatever it was after adding 5" another 3" would probably prolong he career even longer then he even suspects

Devilito
04-01-2011, 04:58 PM
he should go back to the 85

wksoh
04-02-2011, 09:20 PM
Fed's shots look slow compared to Nadal's... should try a 95.... after this loss:

no change = downhill

Devilito
04-02-2011, 09:44 PM
Fed's shots look slow compared to Nadal's... should try a 95.... after this loss:

no change = downhill

Well there’s his strings, tension, his shoes, his diet, his training, his game, his mental state, his tactics, his age his goals, etc. All these factors that go through changes and you’ve managed to single out his racquet. Mazing

Wasn't it when he switched from the 85 to 90 that he made his first break through at the FO? (I think I read that on the n90 tw review) why does he just make another adjustment and go to a 93 that's only a slight adjustment but I'm sure if he could make the the FO semifinals or whatever it was after adding 5" another 3" would probably prolong he career even longer then he even suspects

if he keeps winning slams going up 5sq" every few years he should be using a 130" right now. Because you know, going up in head size is what got him those slams. THANK GOD he didn't stick to the 85 or he'd probably be a nobody right now with no slams at all

MrFlip
04-02-2011, 09:51 PM
Federer needs a new style of play

Power Player
04-02-2011, 10:06 PM
Theres advantages to mids too. This is why a lot of tour players use 94 inch pt57s. Still, it's a lot more about the player than the racquet.

Sentinel
04-02-2011, 10:23 PM
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/images/misc/navbits_finallink.gif (http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=365938) Federer needs a new racquet

I thought Wilson keeps supplying him with new rackets.

sandiegoman
04-02-2011, 10:26 PM
Maybe he'll switch to an PureDrive Roddick

lolitsanasian
04-02-2011, 10:27 PM
*smh*

10char

ALL IN
04-02-2011, 11:29 PM
Fed does not need a new racquet! He loves his prostaff and he's won 16 grand slams with it, so I'm sure something is going right for him with that stick! Djoko just outplayed him, that's all!

Remove Nadal and Djokovic from the tour and Fed wins everything like back in the day and his stick is fine. Beautifully constructing points and wrong footing/humiliating anyone on tour. But with the exceptional fitness and upped ante of Noldal, he needs an edge or we'll keep seeing the "decline" threads keep popping up. Anyone who's played with both a K90 and then any Babolat or newer Head knows how much more you can get away with. Apparently Roger doesn't and doesn't care too.

Power Player
04-03-2011, 09:10 AM
By that logic, should Roddick switch to a mid for even better serving and more accuracy?

He has been playing very bad as of late, yet has the mythical perfect 100 size head too.

DownTheLine
04-03-2011, 09:15 AM
Should Soderling change his racquet? Should everyone that didnt reach the SFs change their racquets also?

big ted
04-03-2011, 01:53 PM
1. if you remove nadal and joker from tour, yes federer would win everything, but guess what, theyre NOT removed from the tour.. theyre raising the bar..
2. yes he won 16gs? titles with the 90. borg won 11gs titles with a wood racquet, does that mean borg should still play with wood?

Harry_Wild
04-03-2011, 03:52 PM
You cannot alway be on the top of your game all the time. Federer might be in a slump! I think his racket is optima for his strokes, his game. Nothing to do with his ability - the racket!

junk
04-04-2011, 04:15 AM
Rafa lost to Novak twice in a row - should he switch to a smaller size Head? But wait, for the last two months Murray hasn't been able to hit the ball at all - what racket should he change to? And maybe Safin should change to Prestige MP and un-retire? Why people think that racquets or racquet specs and not players win matches? Does it mean that Novak's racquet (whatever mold is under that PJ) is the "best" racquet in the world just because the guy is playing the best tennis in the world right now?

MethodTennis
04-05-2011, 08:49 AM
This topic has been discussed to death already. Multiple times.

yep too hard just to post in another already created thread though