PDA

View Full Version : Slice Serve Adjustment

hector
06-14-2005, 07:21 AM
Do you make any adjustment to grip or racquet face for your slice serve vs flat serve?

TwistServe
06-14-2005, 07:31 AM
Opional but not required. The only thing required is the racquet path as it meets the ball is slightly different.

kevhen
06-14-2005, 08:11 AM
Yes, backhand eastern instead of forehand eastern. Wrist motion is more sideways chopping instead of snapping straight down. Otherwise swing and toss are pretty similar.

LionsNC
06-14-2005, 08:40 AM
I use the continental for both and just change the racquet path as TwSr said.

LionsNC
06-14-2005, 08:45 AM
Also my 1 server slice is hit more solid for more pace while my second is brushed alot more to give more spin while providing saftey to keep it in. I am still trying to learn the kick for my second serve.

Grimjack
06-14-2005, 08:48 AM
For me, I found that if I zoned in my flat serve to the backhand corner (with continental grip), I could switch to an eastern BH grip, hit with the same exact "flat" motion, and the resulting "mild" slice would go right into the FH corner. Almost impossible to detect the disguise from across the net of a 1/2 bevel change in grip.

Then take that same stroke, and add a little more of a brush to it, and it becomes a full-blown hook out wide.

Dunno how well that would work for everybody, as I'm 6'5", and have arms like an orang-utan. But it works for me. All three variations use same "1-foot-in-front-of-me-2-feet-into-the-court" toss.

gifted_shotmaker
06-14-2005, 09:07 AM
Opional but not required. The only thing required is the racquet path as it meets the ball is slightly different.

yeah, you could change grip like posters have mentioned, but it is not required. I am with TS on that the racquet path is a bit different.

kevhen
06-14-2005, 09:08 AM
Isn't using a different swing path with same grip harder on the elbow though?

tom-selleck
06-14-2005, 10:41 AM
i've been having more success with slice serve with either continental grip or towards eastern forehand... seems i'm in the minority, but i don't like eastern backhand for slice serve.

i find straight up sideways spin is good for hard slice (not alot of movement, but hard slice - does that make scientific sense???) but more of a diagonal spin for big curving serve....

one nice thing about spin serve is that you should be able to hit it if you serve is away off and thereby avoid double-faulting without hitting weak serve.

i know we all go crazy on make sure you don't double-fault, but i think a weak serve is just as bad. a weak serve will get killed by strong 3.5.

SageOfDeath
06-17-2005, 11:28 AM
Depending if you're left handed or right handed, you will have to brush the ball on its right side if you're right handed and vise versa. You can force yourself to put a little slice by tossing the ball toward you're right if you're right handed and again vise versa.

Hitting a slice serve with TOO much slice will kill the speed and you might hit into the net a lot. But TOO much diagonal spin and you got more of a twist serve. Nothing wrong with a twist serve its just that you won't get the desired effect of a low bouncing ball. I've hit an extreme slice serve before and it was awsome but the chance of making it in was really bad. The ball looked like it was going to go out onto the left service box but then curved and bounced uberly low making it an ace. :)

Marius_Hancu
06-17-2005, 11:53 AM
Check the FULL posting by Sonicdeviant in this thread:

Pronation only for flat serve??!
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=18490

from which I am quoting:
------------------
"Check your watch" - Quickly!...on EVERY SERVE.

Do the same pronation for the slice. Hit the outside right edge of the ball with a slightly angled or open racket face and then PRONATE - turn your wrist over at impact and "check your watch quickly". As some have said here...delay the pronation. It's the same thing. Once you start spin serving this way you'll leave your "wrist flop-over" serves behind. I did. I think this is important too - pronate as the racket hits the ball. I used to turn my forearm on the follow-through which mistakenly led me to believe I was pronating when I wasn't. In other words, pronate at impact...not after.
-------

papa
06-17-2005, 12:53 PM
Although you don't have to change grips, I actually do change including changing the hitting path. I just find it somewhat easier especially if your going for placement. Certainly doesn't bother my arm either way.