PDA

View Full Version : Andy Murray's real racket

djoko4thewin
01-27-2011, 08:56 AM
Hey guys,

I know it's been posted about before but i can't locate it exactly. So i thought some of you could update me on andy's racket specs especially as hes doing so well at AO. All iv seen is that the racket is 27inch, 16x19, 98sq and weights 345g strung i believe. He also uses alu/vs team string setup.

It would be great if you informative people out there could confirm the specs i have and additional specs like the frame and if it's possible to purchase one anything like his.

Thanks.

vsbabolat
01-27-2011, 09:27 AM
PT57A with a 16x19 string pattern.
Enjoy:
http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=220123&highlight=pt57a&page=3

http://tt.tennis-warehouse.com/showthread.php?t=275601&highlight=murray

The closest racquet that you can buy to Murray's is the YouTek Prestige Pro.
http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Head_YOUTEK_Prestige_Pro/descpageRCHEAD-HYTPP.html

djoko4thewin
01-27-2011, 09:36 AM
wow, thanks vsbabolat! Any idea what the prestige pro is like to play with? worth a hit or would it be better to use maybe vantage and get the exact customization?

vsbabolat
01-27-2011, 10:01 AM
wow, thanks vsbabolat! Any idea what the prestige pro is like to play with? worth a hit or would it be better to use maybe vantage and get the exact customization?

Why don't you demo the YT Prestige Pro and see if you like it. The YT Prestige Pro is a good racquet in it's own right. With it you have the same string pattern and very similar MOLD as Murray's PT57A. The YT Prestige Pro will be crisper.

djoko4thewin
01-27-2011, 11:54 AM
Good idea vsbabolat. I should probably demo it and see what it's like. Bit different to kblade tour 93 and my current racket though i presume going on the specs.. but w'll see. Not sure if i'll like the 16x19 pattern after using 18x20 so yrs but i dunno murray changed pattern too before.

vsbabolat
01-27-2011, 12:00 PM
Good idea vsbabolat. I should probably demo it and see what it's like. Bit different to kblade tour 93 and my current racket though i presume going on the specs.. but w'll see. Not sure if i'll like the 16x19 pattern after using 18x20 so yrs but i dunno murray changed pattern too before.

You can always demo the YT Prestige MP as well which has the 18x20 string pattern.

get it in
01-27-2011, 12:08 PM
Enjoy:

http://www.tennis-warehouse.com/Head_YOUTEK_Prestige_Pro/descpageRCHEAD-HYTPP.html

Not sure if this website was ever cited, but it's the first one I ever saw where Andy comes out and says 'Prestige'. The page is old, but it's in the spirit of the previous threads. Don't ask me how I found this. I was just reading the news and this popped out somewhere along the way.
http://www.thisismoney.co.uk/celebrity/article.html?in_article_id=419097&in_page_id=181

WHAT WAS YOUR PRIZE MONEY FOR YOUR FIRST TOURNAMENT WIN?

My first professional tournament was a Futures event in Glasgow when I was 16 - I think the prize money was about $1,000.

Since then, my career earnings have grown to about $1.5m. In the past year I have earned more than $500,000. (Andy recently reached the semi-finals of the Sony Ericsson Open in Miami, which made him $134,000.)

I also make money from sponsorship deals - my clothes are from Fred Perry and my racket is a Head Prestige.

djoko4thewin
01-27-2011, 12:30 PM
Nice find get it in! :) That's a cool thing for him to say although it's old now so things could have changed a bit.

0d1n
01-27-2011, 01:27 PM
Enjoy:

The youtek prestige pro is a STIFF racquet. I've never played the pro tour but from I understand it is extremely (some say excessively) soft.
Wouldn't maybe the MG prestige pro be closer ?? That one at least had a flexy feel.

vsbabolat
01-27-2011, 01:38 PM
The youtek prestige pro is a STIFF racquet. I've never played the pro tour but from I understand it is extremely (some say excessively) soft.
Wouldn't maybe the MG prestige pro be closer ?? That one at least had a flexy feel.

Lst me clear up what I intedned to write: The racquet that is currently available in HEAD's current line-up of racquets that is the closest is the YT Prestige Pro. Now if you want the closest racquet you can buy and try to find that on the auction sites. Then that would be the Pro Tour 630/PT57A. But be prepared to pay dearly.

But I figured that the easiest racquet to find and demo that is in production would be the YT Prestige Pro. I have hit with one and did not think it was stiffer than the MG version. I did not consider the MG to be flexy. I always thought the MG played stiffer than the numbers.

djoko4thewin
01-27-2011, 01:41 PM

Not sure on that but it's definatly stiff and that's something i don't like with my previous rackets being low stiffness which i prefer.

You can always demo the YT Prestige MP as well which has the 18x20 string pattern.

I have done and i really enjoyed it! But i wanted to see other options out there and at the moment they don't have the prestige pro for demo. The MP definatly is more up my street on specs cause it's similiar to my old kblade tour and current yt rad MP custom.

Should i go for this or would maybe a custom vantage with similiar specs be better or not?

vsbabolat
01-27-2011, 01:46 PM
Not sure on that but it's definatly stiff and that's something i don't like with my previous rackets being low stiffness which i prefer.

I have done and i really enjoyed it! But i wanted to see other options out there and at the moment they don't have the prestige pro for demo. The MP definatly is more up my street on specs cause it's similiar to my old kblade tour and current yt rad MP custom.

Should i go for this or would maybe a custom vantage with similiar specs be better or not?

I always believe in demoing before buying. If you can demo a Vantage. Then demo it and see how it compares to the YT Prestige MP.

Fedace
01-27-2011, 01:49 PM
Enjoy:

What is wonder is why doesn't Murray just use the Youtek prestige pro PJ ??? because so many top pros are already using this PJ ??? dont' think so. I think it is dumb marketing. this way typical average joe can feel like they are really using Real Murray racket....

chrischris
01-27-2011, 02:55 PM

I have a bunch of PT 57as in both 16/19 and 18/20 patterns and a few TGKs . IMO the Pt57as are very comfy and soft compared to YT Prestige pros .

djoko4thewin
01-27-2011, 03:09 PM
I always believe in demoing before buying. If you can demo a Vantage. Then demo it and see how it compares to the YT Prestige MP.

I agree but getting hold of a vantage with the right specs is very hard because there not rackets found in store. Only way would be to ask around at my clubs to see if anyone has one i could try but even that is unlikely that ill find one which is near my specs. That's why i was hoping some people on here could give me an idea of comparison.

vsbabolat
01-27-2011, 03:36 PM
I have a bunch of PT 57as in both 16/19 and 18/20 patterns and a few TGKs . IMO the Pt57as are very comfy and soft compared to YT Prestige pros .

That's true but the OP will have a hard and very expensive time getting his hand on one of them. That is why I suggested the YT Prestige Pro. It is currently in the line-up and is widely available to demo. IMHO the YT Prestige Pro is currently the closest racquet the HEAD offers to AM's actual frame.

vsbabolat
01-27-2011, 03:37 PM
I agree but getting hold of a vantage with the right specs is very hard because there not rackets found in store. Only way would be to ask around at my clubs to see if anyone has one i could try but even that is unlikely that ill find one which is near my specs. That's why i was hoping some people on here could give me an idea of comparison.

Vantage does have a demo program:
http://www.vantagetennis.co.uk/root/index.php?app=gbu0&ns=catshow&ref=Demo+Program&sid=v11701led49q6cdi6s91qp1l5e1n378d

You could demo a VT221:
http://www.vantagetennis.co.uk/root/index.php?app=gbu0&ns=prodshow&ref=Demo221

Or a VT231:
http://www.vantagetennis.co.uk/root/index.php?app=gbu0&ns=prodshow&ref=Demo231

Cup8489
01-27-2011, 05:19 PM
VS...

I remember a thread regarding andy murray's mg radical, and IIRC it said he originally played with the MG Prestige Pro under the Radical paintjob, but then switched to the PT57A 16x19 due to the more comfortable feel..

is that information correct, or was it simply speculation?

Ross K
01-27-2011, 09:13 PM
Anyone know the lead set up Muzza uses? Quantities and hoop locations...

djoko4thewin
01-28-2011, 05:53 AM
Vantage does have a demo program:
http://www.vantagetennis.co.uk/root/index.php?app=gbu0&ns=catshow&ref=Demo+Program&sid=v11701led49q6cdi6s91qp1l5e1n378d

You could demo a VT221:
http://www.vantagetennis.co.uk/root/index.php?app=gbu0&ns=prodshow&ref=Demo221

Or a VT231:
http://www.vantagetennis.co.uk/root/index.php?app=gbu0&ns=prodshow&ref=Demo231

Ah okay i didn't know that. Which racket would be best because demoing both would be expensive. Also how do you return the product if it's not quite to your liking? wouldn't that be expensive. Thanks.

Pioneer
01-28-2011, 06:52 AM
Any MP Prestige (preferably the one vsbabolat suggested) with lead at 12 until it gets to 345g (with tourna) would be the closest you can get

ace0001a
01-28-2011, 07:57 AM
What is wonder is why doesn't Murray just use the Youtek prestige pro PJ ??? because so many top pros are already using this PJ ??? dont' think so. I think it is dumb marketing. this way typical average joe can feel like they are really using Real Murray racket....

Yeah Head needs someone to market the Radical line since Agassi is now retired...and somehow they thought Murray made sense. Dumb marketing by Head sounds right to me. Now that they have Sharapova and she is actually using a Radical Pro mold, they should consider making her the Radical line's main player and move Murray to the Prestige Pro. Or at the very least they should've come out with clear CAP grommets so that Murray's racquet doesn't look so obviously different from a retail Radical Pro...or well, who knows, but dumb marketing indeed.

But yep, I too think the Youtek Prestige Pro is the currently the most similar racquet easily available to Murray's and to me it doesn't feel any stiffer than the MGPP.

topspin18
01-28-2011, 03:05 PM
Does murry's racket fell similar to the pure storm tour GT. Because i heard the pure storm has a nice soft feel?

topspin18
01-28-2011, 03:06 PM
and it is also an open string pattern

Ross K
01-28-2011, 11:36 PM
Does murry's racket fell similar to the pure storm tour GT. Because i heard the pure storm has a nice soft feel?

If you mean his actual racket, the answer imo is probably 'not really'...

As to the retail YTPP and PSTGT being comparable, I definitely feel they are ball-park similar, and with the Bab being a tad more forgiving and easier all around to use, whereas the PP has supreme feel, control, and a beautifully 'primed' balance, weighting and way of swinging.

spacediver
01-29-2011, 12:04 AM
I really don't think it's wise to try and custom match to a pro. Their "specs" include the dimensions and weight distribution of their limbs as well, and unless you are similarly built, it doesn't make sense to expect the same dynamics by using a similarly weighted racquet.

djoko4thewin
01-29-2011, 06:52 AM
I really don't think it's wise to try and custom match to a pro. Their "specs" include the dimensions and weight distribution of their limbs as well, and unless you are similarly built, it doesn't make sense to expect the same dynamics by using a similarly weighted racquet.

Very true. I'm not planning on acctually using one like his although the weight of his racket isn't as high as some pros, believed to be 345g strung which is lower than most pros i think. So id imagine some people here could handle that well.

Pioneer
01-29-2011, 08:10 AM
Yeah that's very insightful.

ADIDAS_IS_CLASSIC
01-29-2011, 12:58 PM
Yeah Head needs someone to market the Radical line since Agassi is now retired...and somehow they thought Murray made sense. Dumb marketing by Head sounds right to me. Now that they have Sharapova and she is actually using a Radical Pro mold, they should consider making her the Radical line's main player and move Murray to the Prestige Pro. Or at the very least they should've come out with clear CAP grommets so that Murray's racquet doesn't look so obviously different from a retail Radical Pro...or well, who knows, but dumb marketing indeed.

But yep, I too think the Youtek Prestige Pro is the currently the most similar racquet easily available to Murray's and to me it doesn't feel any stiffer than the MGPP.
EM, Marketing do work :) I fall for that and my first racket is a MG Radical Pro,Even i know its a Paint job. I just cant resist buying that racket haha:shock:

Cup8489
01-30-2011, 07:14 AM
Any MP Prestige (preferably the one vsbabolat suggested) with lead at 12 until it gets to 345g (with tourna) would be the closest you can get

are you talking without strings? because the stock MGPP is like 340,342 grams.. so that wouldn't be accurate in this case, unless you meant unstrung. which reminds me, how much does a stringjob of poly add in terms of grams? 15 or so maybe?

Pioneer
01-30-2011, 09:14 AM
Yeah it's **** that Andy can have his with a super high SW and still be so light
Maybe you have to go a bit higher than 345. 350 or so (strung). But waiting for ericsson to give us the swingweight

are you talking without strings? because the stock MGPP is like 340,342 grams.. so that wouldn't be accurate in this case, unless you meant unstrung. which reminds me, how much does a stringjob of poly add in terms of grams? 15 or so maybe?

Funbun
01-30-2011, 09:20 AM
Yeah it's **** that Andy can have his with a super high SW and still be so light
Maybe you have to go a bit higher than 345. 350 or so (strung). But waiting for ericsson to give us the swingweight

I actually asked him via e-mail in November. He still doesn't have access to an RDC or just not responding. Either way, I can't wait for him to reveal it.

I'm anticipating the SW to be around 350. You can't really expect a high SW given near-equal balance and only 345g. Then again, it's prostock, so we can't be sure.

Power Player
01-30-2011, 09:28 AM
If you mean his actual racket, the answer imo is probably 'not really'...

As to the retail YTPP and PSTGT being comparable, I definitely feel they are ball-park similar, and with the Bab being a tad more forgiving and easier all around to use, whereas the PP has supreme feel, control, and a beautifully 'primed' balance, weighting and way of swinging.

I agree with you, but I actually found the feel of the pstgt to be more solid and plush. That actually shocked me when it happened, because I had not spent a lot of time with the racquet before. I think it may be due to the higher SW possibly. Not sure, but it's personal preference.

ericsson
01-31-2011, 12:08 AM
Sorry for the delay guys, i've been very busy lately. Hope i will have more time in the coming months to get the RDC specs, my apologies!

Funbun
01-31-2011, 12:52 PM
Sorry for the delay guys, i've been very busy lately. Hope i will have more time in the coming months to get the RDC specs, my apologies!

Haha no problems ericsson. I can't wait!

PED
01-31-2011, 12:55 PM

Murrays' stick is only 345g strung with an og so the PP would be an excellent substitute.

Based on your sig, your specs are already pretty spot on to his :)

tball
01-31-2011, 02:25 PM
I have Vantages and PT630, and have demoed YT Prestige MP two months ago. Vantage, even if you get very close in specs, will not be the same as Head. It has a very different feel and response. It is stiffer, much more muted, and much less power. I find PT630 and the current YT quite similar; the latter being lighter, stiffer and livelier (but it could be that my aging PT630 is getting old).

djoko4thewin
01-31-2011, 02:59 PM
Murrays' stick is only 345g strung with an og so the PP would be an excellent substitute.

Based on your sig, your specs are already pretty spot on to his :)

Odd question but why is murray's racket 'only' that weight because other pros do have higher weight of racket than him.

I have Vantages and PT630, and have demoed YT Prestige MP two months ago. Vantage, even if you get very close in specs, will not be the same as Head. It has a very different feel and response. It is stiffer, much more muted, and much less power. I find PT630 and the current YT quite similar; the latter being lighter, stiffer and livelier (but it could be that my aging PT630 is getting old).

So which is your favourite a vantage or a Prestige MP in both similar specs? thanks.

cnr1guy
01-31-2011, 03:24 PM
Did anyone catch the video during the first set of the AO final of what looked like Murray's racquets being strung by the tournament stringers -what was up with that?

Bartelby
01-31-2011, 03:28 PM
Wanted a lower tension: 57/57.

Did anyone catch the video during the first set of the AO final of what looked like Murray's racquets being strung by the tournament stringers -what was up with that?

cnr1guy
01-31-2011, 03:30 PM
Wanted a lower tension: 57/57.

Oh- so that was during the match then? Where were the P1 guys???

Bartelby
01-31-2011, 03:41 PM
Yes, the commentators said that it was all very well to get a restring, but that with the P1 guys not there he would get a very different type of restring on a differently callibrated machine.

Nextman916
01-31-2011, 03:51 PM
anybody know what tension murray strings at?

Ross K
01-31-2011, 08:53 PM

Agree about the Vantage... great frame though, very crisp feel and well made rack imo.

Re similarities between YT frames (YTPP in my case) and PT630, although there are the differences, I'd also argue there's some ballpark likeness there.

LPShanet
02-01-2011, 12:01 AM

The flex pattern is different. The PT57A has a more evenly distributed flex, and the PST GT flexes more in the head. Different strokes for different folks.

LPShanet
02-01-2011, 12:11 AM
Oh- so that was during the match then? Where were the P1 guys???

They had been working across the river in an apartment, apparently. Another company handles on-site stringing.

tball
02-02-2011, 11:42 AM
So which is your favourite a vantage or a Prestige MP in both similar specs? thanks.

Neither. I actually prefer Kneissl Red Star. But if that was not available, I would have chosen Vantage. Stronger serves, and better control/placement of the ball. PT630 "feels" better on impact, though, and from the "enjoyment" point of view, is more pleasing than the Vantage.

djoko4thewin
02-02-2011, 01:08 PM
Neither. I actually prefer Kneissl Red Star. But if that was not available, I would have chosen Vantage. Stronger serves, and better control/placement of the ball. PT630 "feels" better on impact, though, and from the "enjoyment" point of view, is more pleasing than the Vantage.

Thanks for the opinion. I'm going to have to demo a vantage and see how i get on. what specs did you try vantage wise?

tball
02-02-2011, 06:51 PM
I have 4 of them, all different. I like the 95" / standard length / 12 pt HL the best.

djoko4thewin
02-04-2011, 07:17 AM
I have 4 of them, all different. I like the 95" / standard length / 12 pt HL the best.

Which model do you like best? weight and pattern?

The Big Kahuna
02-09-2011, 06:28 PM

Not true. Check the specs and the TW playtest. I have been playing with mine for almost a year and found nothing with better feel or as well rounded.

PED
02-10-2011, 03:40 AM
Not true. Check the specs and the TW playtest. I have been playing with mine for almost a year and found nothing with better feel or as well rounded.

Quoted for truth. My findings were the same as yours.

Ross K
02-10-2011, 11:00 AM
And here's a third with the same findings.:)

0d1n
02-11-2011, 01:51 AM

I did "check the specs" and the TW playtest has nothing of interest for me since I've tried the racquet for myself. The "other people playtest" is valuable for me if I didn't have the chance to try a racquet for myself. After I've played a certain racquet for myself...a playtest performed by somebody else (in this case TW) becomes useless to me since I have my own perceptions.
It is a good racquet, I didn't say anywhere that it isn't...I even liked it myself, but it is a stiff racquet and certainly stiffer than the "pro tour" type.
Not "pure drive" stiff...but still stiff.

Well, you're playing a Babolat...of course it wouldn't be stiff to you :)).
It's stiff for a prestige, not for a Babolat "drive" series.

And here's a third with the same findings.:)

Again...you are comparing it with the Aero Pro drive. Can you honestly say it is anywhere near the plushness of the old radicals or the pro tour ??

PED
02-11-2011, 03:50 AM

:) I did realize the irony of my post. You're right: everyone perceives stiffness differently. I never hit with an I Prestige, is the YT version stiffer than that?

kiteboard
02-11-2011, 08:29 AM

I saw the restring, had a sticker on it, which showed, he was at 55lbs, but it was upside down, during the match. So he went higher, not lower. I though he was at 60 normally, and you could see he was going long on his fh, every time he tried to crack it.

dgoran
02-11-2011, 09:26 AM

Od1n is right. It is a stiff racket, in comparison to Pro Tour 630, YT Radical MP and C10. No question about that.

Not a bad racket though if you like simple racket no gimmicks and like firmer response from your frame but its definitely on a stiffer side.

Djokolate
02-11-2011, 12:33 PM

at the end of the aussie he strung lower i heard.
at 57lbs. i'm sure.

Ross K
02-11-2011, 11:57 PM

Again...you are comparing it with the Aero Pro drive. Can you honestly say it is anywhere near the plushness of the old radicals or the pro tour ??

No, it isn't as plush and flexy as a PT630, Rad Tour TT, C10 Pro, Rd7, Reb 95 and any number of frames noted for their lush feel - and I wouldn't suggest otherwise. It's firmer and, yes, stiffer (though not Babolat or Wilson 6.1 stiff.) Yet for me, it still has some pocketing and ball hold, though I will say I string full poly fairly low.

0d1n
02-13-2011, 06:06 AM
:) I did realize the irony of my post. You're right: everyone perceives stiffness differently. I never hit with an I Prestige, is the YT version stiffer than that?

The Pro is...haven't played the YT MP.

No, it isn't as plush and flexy as a PT630, Rad Tour TT, C10 Pro, Rd7, Reb 95 and any number of frames noted for their lush feel - and I wouldn't suggest otherwise. It's firmer and, yes, stiffer (though not Babolat or Wilson 6.1 stiff.) Yet for me, it still has some pocketing and ball hold, though I will say I string full poly fairly low.

Well, we're not disagreeing, we're just saying the same thing from different perspectives :).

JediMindTrick
02-14-2011, 01:15 PM

I second that. The YT Prestige Pro is a lot closer to the PT 630 than the MG Prestige Pro. It is stiffer, true, but it's very solid, just like the PT630, and it still has a very sweet flex that reminded me of the PT630. The MG was wobbly, nothing like the PT630. The YT Prestige Pro plays like an open pattern, stiffer-but-still-sweet, more powerfull PT630, aka the holly grail. If only it had the weight and balance of the PT630.

DefensiveTennis
12-30-2013, 01:41 PM

If I wanted to make my YT Prestige MP more like a pros racquet or more like Murrays (swingweight too low for high levels) how would I go about doing that? Where would you put lead tape if you were in my situation?

DefensiveTennis
12-30-2013, 01:45 PM

Did you get it yet? It has been years?

ericsson
01-02-2014, 12:22 AM
Did you get it yet? It has been years?

No i dont, i said it in another thread that my local sport shop has been closed. I dont have a RDC myself (yet)...