PDA

View Full Version : How Often Do You Poach?

twocents
06-14-2005, 07:53 AM
Just curious as if there are any plans or paterns that YOU YOURSELF use for poaching?
Do you just Poach Kamakazee style on everything until someone lobs you or shows you he can hit down the line with consistentcy?
Just on the 1st service to get that 1st point?
Do you just poach every other return to keep the receivers honest?
Do you just poach off a week return?
Do you wait for important points as a surprise tactic?
Any feedback wouuld be appreciated. Thanks

LionsNC
06-14-2005, 08:22 AM
Well, I use to use a lot hand singles with my parter and I would poach about 50% of the time. But, now I just poach whenever I feel like it (still about 50%, but with better results) and let my partner react (note my regular parter and myself are both very quick and can cover a lot of court). My net game is my strongest part of my game I will try to get to all most every ball. When my timing is really on I can stay home long enough to cover the allay and still get to a lot of shots that aren't hit with a lot of pace and kept very low. I also fake the poach a lot just to keep the returner thinking. One of my greatest joys is watching the return go wide knowing that my agressiveness at the net was the probable cause of the wide return. I also tend to poach more on the 1st serves vs. the slower 2nd serve, I would think that is true for most people.

Kaptain Karl
06-14-2005, 08:40 AM
IF my partner is good at placing his serve (50% up the T, 30% jam, 20% -- or less -- wide) I'll poach A LOT. (Which means about 35-40% of the time ... First or Second serves ... doesn't matter.)

When my partner's serve is suspect, my poaching drops to mere "opportunism".

- KK

Grimjack
06-14-2005, 08:52 AM
If I find I happen to have to play doubles, I just kind of stand there in the ready position and hope they don't hit at me.

twocents
06-14-2005, 10:09 AM
Grimjack,
What if they do hit it backto you. Do you try to get out the way or do you just take the hit?

Geezer Guy
06-14-2005, 10:15 AM
You can't take the hit, cuz then you'd lose the point. This isn't baseball.

Grimjack
06-14-2005, 10:23 AM
Grimjack,
What if they do hit it backto you. Do you try to get out the way or do you just take the hit?

I don't know. Nobody ever has. I really *look* like I should be able to volley pretty well. I suppose I'd probably stick my racquet up and hope for the best. Or I'd call a let and claim a bird just flew through the court or something.

Grimjack
06-14-2005, 10:24 AM
You can't take the hit, cuz then you'd lose the point. This isn't baseball.

Is this true? Even if it bounces off my forehead and back onto their side or something? Because this might be a good tactic for me, as I have a tremendous Neanderthal-esque forehead.

ohplease
06-14-2005, 10:40 AM
Poaching is all about reading the situation, not about some set percentage. If your partner serves a ball such that your opponent is at all off balance - you poach. If the receiver can't consistently hit a return after taking more than two steps, you poach. In both these cases, anything down the line won't be hard, so you have some time to recover.

It's all about the returner. If they've shown they can hit a quality return from the kind of serve they just got, you stay home. If not, you go. In fact, this should be true of each and every ball coming back from your opponents. If they're off balance from the baseline - you go. If they're bent over and trying to return a ball below the net - you go.

In singles, you drop the assists and you finish. In doubles, you are either setting up your partner or converting on the opportunity your partner setup for you.

twocents
06-14-2005, 11:03 AM
GRIMJACK,
I like your suggestion. I'm getting a ball machine and practice that off the forehead shot.

Grimjack
06-14-2005, 11:12 AM
GRIMJACK,
I like your suggestion. I'm getting a ball machine and practice that off the forehead shot.

Atta guy. The revolution is coming, and it's going to leave a lot of welts.

tennis-n-sc
06-14-2005, 12:07 PM
Well, I have been in a lot of weird situations with a partner doing his own thing at the net and me trying to react. Nothing worse than me serving and going to the net and my partner picking that time to poach. My partner and I set our play prior to my serving to cover first and second serve if needed. He poaches, I cover the other side. He can cherry pick anytime he wants, but remains responsible for the line on his side. We consider a poach an all out rip to the other side where a cherry pick is being able to go for a shot he may be able to get.

kevhen
06-14-2005, 12:07 PM
I seldom poach, usually only if I can tell it will be an easy putaway and won't need to lunge for the ball. I should poach more to keep the other team off balance, but poaching can expose your team to being out of position as well so if my partner is solid, I don't need to take any of his balls since I am not an aggressive volleyer with a quick first step.

Geezer Guy
06-14-2005, 12:28 PM
... My partner and I set our play prior to my serving to cover first and second serve if needed. He poaches, I cover the other side. He can cherry pick anytime he wants, but remains responsible for the line on his side. We consider a poach an all out rip to the other side where a cherry pick is being able to go for a shot he may be able to get.

Very good description tennis-n-sc. This is what my regular partner and I do as well, poaching usually at least twice a game in a tight match. If we're winning easily, we usually don't poach as much - just enough to maintain our lead. When I'm playing with someone else, I usually only cherry-pick. However, I'll go for more and more until they pass me down the line a few times.

stc9357
06-14-2005, 01:36 PM
I generally poach kami style until they pass me. At the HS level players rarely hit it down the line and I can generally tell before they do it if their going to go down the line by the way they talk with their partner and the way they look at me before the point.